Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
mimland

How to deal with players getting sent off a lot

Recommended Posts

I have a couple of players that are getting sent off way too often with two yellows. For example one got sent off twice in two games, the other has been sent off twice in 6 games. I have tried to have them ease off tackles and all that, I have yelled at them and fined the one I can, the other is a loaned player. I wanted to train my player to stay on feet but he is incapable of learning it. By fining the player I have upset him and since he is part of a rather influential group I worry that I will cause a mess if I keep fining him when it happens the next time. Replacing them isn't much of an option since there isn't enough talent in the UK it has become very hard to find players with any kind of talent. Everytime a player show some sort of promise doesn't even be all that good everyone wants him, my league two potential GK is getting bids from everything from Man City to teams at my own level and the story is about the same with a lot of other half bad talents. My only viable option is to get these players to work out and I feel like I'm running out of options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does their coach reports say something along the lines of "has a competitive streak"?  If yes then that indicates the player(s) have a high Dirtiness attribute which is a hidden attribute that influences their willingness to make deliberate fouls.  That can be exaggerated if they also have a high Aggression attribute and/or you are playing them in a particularly aggressive role (such as a BWM) with an aggressive style of football.

To be honest I tend to avoid "competitive" players like the plague and will get shot of any in my squad asap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from hidden attributes, also be careful what you assign him to on the pitch. If he is a ball winning midfielder and you add the TI to get stuck in, cards are inevitable. Plus, avoid at all costs a combination of high Aggression + low Decisions. That will mean 1 red card every 3 games or so :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a similar issue. My right and left backs pick up a lot of yellows (it's FM16 and I play a 4-3-1-2, standard). They pick up a fair few bans between them so I am looking into other  options at left back (waiting for a youth prospect to come good) but the right back has been player of the year 3 seasons in a row and is averaging around 20 assists a season so far too valuable to look for replacements, Will I just have to suck up the occasional ban and yellow car pretty much every other game or is there anything I can do? Tackling is normal etc so he's not diving into tackles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Closing down, mark tighter and tackle harder are instructions that should be carefully assigned, particularly if your team instruction uses 'Get Stuck In'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always wondered why ‘dirtiness’ is a hidden attribute whereas some like ‘decisions’ isn’t? In fact why have hidden attributes at all? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2018 at 10:50, mark1985 said:

I've got a similar issue. My right and left backs pick up a lot of yellows (it's FM16 and I play a 4-3-1-2, standard). They pick up a fair few bans between them so I am looking into other  options at left back (waiting for a youth prospect to come good) but the right back has been player of the year 3 seasons in a row and is averaging around 20 assists a season so far too valuable to look for replacements, Will I just have to suck up the occasional ban and yellow car pretty much every other game or is there anything I can do? Tackling is normal etc so he's not diving into tackles.

On a previous version (I forget which) I had the same problem. What I found was that by having the fullbacks pushing up the field and not making sure there was defensive cover, they were racing back to tackle wingers. This meant the tackling was poor and hurried as they were playing catch up rather than meeting the wingers face on. This was especially noticeable after set pieces but also happened during the normal course of the game.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got them training tackles now and it seems to have worked to some extent, they are still fouling but not picking up as many cards. Not sure if the actual training is helping or they are tired of getting paid 1 week/month but whatever made them stop I'm grateful. 

 

None of them have anything in their reports that suggest they should have these issues but since I don't use editors I guess I'll never know what is going on behind the scenes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mimland said:

but since I don't use editors I guess I'll never know what is going on behind the scenes.

The coach and scout reports tell you if there are good or bad aspects of player hidden attributes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't use dirty players. Don't like them and don't want to deal with them.

I do fine red cards that cost us points, particularly if the behavior seemed unwarranted. I would fine this player again, and argue with him again and try to make your point. If they back down their aggression goes down a bit. Otherwise just keep trying to make him play easy and don't put too much pressure on him before a match because that tends to make them more aggressive and to make bad tackles.

 

5 hours ago, Cavenagh said:

What I found was that by having the fullbacks pushing up the field and not making sure there was defensive cover, they were racing back to tackle wingers. This meant the tackling was poor and hurried as they were playing catch up rather than meeting the wingers face on.

Spot on. My fullbacks are constantly getting carded but it is my fault because my tactics put them in an awkward spot several times per game. I just let them play their way until the first yellow, then I ask them to go easy on tackling. It is very, very rare that they'll get carded again during the same match, but I do have them serving bans from too many cards every now and then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t remember my full backs tackling stat, but they’re not horrendous. It’s more a case of tactics in my case I think. I have set my team to press and they have no cover as I play without wingers so there is more presssure on them. My right back is an assist machine and the tactic is working by and large so hesitant to change too much. Just wish they would pick up fewer bookings but no tactic is perfect and my full backs sitting out 2 or 3 games a season is a small price to pay. Plus it encourages me to play my youngsters as ‘the assist machine’ aka Manuel Kerne isn’t getting any younger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mark1985 said:

Can’t remember my full backs tackling stat, but they’re not horrendous. It’s more a case of tactics in my case I think. I have set my team to press and they have no cover as I play without wingers so there is more presssure on them. My right back is an assist machine and the tactic is working by and large so hesitant to change too much. Just wish they would pick up fewer bookings but no tactic is perfect and my full backs sitting out 2 or 3 games a season is a small price to pay. Plus it encourages me to play my youngsters as ‘the assist machine’ aka Manuel Kerne isn’t getting any younger

Well I tried to do every tactical change I could come up with to sort out the issue without compromising our success and nothing helped. If they had been sitting out 2 or 3 games in a season it wouldn't had been a problem but getting sent off every other game they played was getting tiresome and I couldn't really afford to take them off as soon as they got a yellow since they usually got the first one rather early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing that I think players may miss out is the league you managed in. The refs in countries like Argentina and Italy are extremely strict. Check the yellow and red cards stats of the other teams and you should be tell how strict the refs are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×