FM09's The Championship Thread: Officially the best second league!

LincolnCanary

Around this time last year I started a thread about playing as teams in the Championship on FM08. It produced some excellent debate, with some great Championship level players found and recommended as well as decent discussion on tactics, accomplishments and the challenges that face a Championship-level manager.

With the release of the demo of Football Manager 2009, I wanted to start the next round of that discussion. So without further a do, I give you the FM09 Championship Thread...!

200px-Football_League_Championship.png

For more information on the Championship, click here!

The Football League Championship (aka The Championship or the Fizzy Pop League) is England's second league after, of course, the Premiership. Twenty teams compete for the world's richest prize - a place in the Premiership. However, unlike the Premiership, the appeal of the Championship lies in it's unpredictability with a huge number of teams able to lay legitimate claim to a place in those two automatic promotion spots. Many more teams aspire to reach the play offs, a four team knock out tournament with the winner claiming a third spot in the Premiership.

Deloittes, one of the largest auditors in the world, estimate the Championship at being the richest non-top flight division in the world and the sixth richest league in Europe. With attendances in the Championship increasing as well it's a great division to really get stuck in with.

For FM09, the Championship offers practically every challenge conceivable. Want a rich team to take to greatness? QPR, Ipswich and Wolves can offer you that. Sleeping giants? You can't get much better than Sheffield Wednesday. High expectations on a low budget? Norwich, Southampton and Crystal Palace are great for this. Yo-yo teams that just need that extra quality to secure a Premiership place? Birmingham and Reading. Teams desperate to avoid the drop? Barnsley, Blackpool and Doncaster. That's a brief synopsis of the Championship - and of course, each and every team has their own set of circumstanes you have to make the most of to make that team succeed.

This thread is for all those teams to discuss everything Championship and beyond; I'd love to see (like the FM08 version) discussion about targets, tactics, that big step up into the Premiership and even bringing a team into the Championship from League One.

The Teams of the Championship

This bit is a short detail of all the teams, their aspirations and decent players they have. I hope someone will offer us more detail on each of the teams in the following discussion, including transfer budgets, wage budgets and possible transfer targets. I don't really fancy

Barnsley - Tipped for relegation, Barnsley will want to secure Championship status first and push on from there. Don't be fooled, though - they're well capable of doing this. Heinz Muller, Anderson Silva, Ian Hume, Jon Macken and Marceo Rigters are all great Championship players and under the eye of a good manager could be a dark horse.

Birmingham City - A yo-yo club littered with top quality players. I think Birmingham will want a return to the Premiership on the first attempt and with players like Seb Larsson, Kevin Phillips, Liam Ridgewell and Lee Carsley there should be no reason why they can't do it.

Blackpool - Lost a number of their good players in the close season, but made some excellent replacements. David Vaughn from Real Sociedad was a great buy and one I will keeping an eye on. Then there's Stephen McPhee and Daniel Nardiello, making a competant strike force. They'll want to ensure Championship status more than anything, though.

Bristol City - Last season's surprise package may well have lost their surprise but still have the players and the talent to make a good go for the play offs. Michael McIndoe, Marvin Elliot and new signing Nicky Maynard are all great Championship players and could be a great side to take on for a manager looking for a team with potential.

Burnley - Had a revamp over the close season and have bought some good players in. I think mid-table will be the expectation, but I think play offs are possible - if they can get a solid, goal scoring striker. Key players include Stephen Caldwell, Chris McCann and Martin Paterson.

Cardiff City - Perenial nearly men, Cardiff have got rid of an ageing strike force and brought in young, hungry strikers. They'll want to get into the play offs and with Ross McCormack, Joe Ledley and Stephen McPhail they've got a good shout. May need to bring in a talented defender though to shore up the defence.

Charlton Athletic - Got some great players like Zheng Zhi, Darren Ambrose and Andy Gray - but for how long? With the financial problems they face, I reckon they could be forced to sell if instant success isn't achieved. If you want a high pressure job, this is surely it.

Coventry City - The first of a number of clubs who have, since relegation, just gone downhill. But with a big reshuffle - including talented front men Clinton Morrison and Freddy Eastwood - could this be the season they turn that around? Will look for mid-table security at first and then to push onwards and upwards.

Crystal Palace - Another club who again have gone downhill since relegation and really need instant success to stave off increasing financial worries. But they at least have a great midfield in Fletcher, Watson, Oster, Scannell, Moses and others - definitiely up there among the best midfields in the league. And with a top class youth system as well, will keep producing stars like Bostock (now sadly at Spurs), Moses and Scannell. Will look for a mid table finish, I reckon.

Derby County - Looking to repair a dented pride, Derby have had a massive clear out that's not quite finished and have spent heavily to secure a decent squad. They'll be looking for at least a play off finish with the intent of getting back to the Premiership. Rob Hulse, Nacer Barazite, Kris Commons and Kazmierczak will be key players in that push.

Doncaster Rovers - Definietely a team looking to just survive at first in the Championship. Doncaster are a quick team, though, who can hit teams on the counter and could surprise a few. Watch out for James Hayter, Matt Mills and Paul Heffernan who will all play an important role in trying to keep Doncaster up.

Ipswich Town - A side with a lot of cash to splash from a recent takeover, Ipswich have one of the best youth academies going on top of excellent facilities. All they lack is a team with consistency. Get that, and you could have a side who can push easily into the Premiership. Owen Garven, Jonathon Walters and Danny Haynes will be the corner stones of any Ipswich side.

Norwich City - Increasing financial problems have crippled Norwich into relying heavily on loanees. While they have brought in some decent loanees, will they have the same desire and motivation to succeed? Who knows. Arturo Lupoli, John Kennedy and David Marshall are all top, top quality players, however, and a mid-table finish is well on the cards.

Nottingham Forest - Forest, soon after promotion, made an excellent statement of intent by signing Robert Earnshaw, a classy goalscorer in this league. But honestly they still lack a bit of a physical defensive presence and will aim to secure their Championship status. They should, however, have decent finances and the ability to push on. This is a good team for those looking for a long term game, with the facilities and finances to build a classy side over time.

Plymouth Argyle - Another team who have lost their better players, Argyle are a team tipped to struggle but a team who have always defied the odds. If you want a team capable of causing an upset, these are it and players like Marcel Seip, Emile Mpenza and Jason Puncheon will help do just that.

Preston North End - Preston are a team who have built on a solid defence but with a rather blunt attack. With limited resources as well, it could be a case of waiting for the right people to become available at the right price before success is possible with Preston, but this is definitely a team with the ability to be a success.

Queens Park Rangers - The money bags side of the Championship, QPR are a team with a bit of a temperamental chairman and I hope this is reflected in the game. Without a doubt, though, QPR are the side to be if you want money, money and money and with all that cash, high aspirations are bound to be involved. Expect a play off finish - and with Parejo, Ledesema and Cook thats a good possibility.

Reading - Another yo-yo team, Reading have managed to keep many of their better players including talented striker Kevin Doyle. Get back in the Premiership, and you have the basis of a Premiership side.

Sheffield United - After making the big mistake of appointing Bryan Robson, Utd are now back on track but with limited finances. Still, big things are expected of them, especially with the talented strike force they have. James Beattie is a talented player and with players like Nick Montgomery and Brian Howard supplying the ammo, I think they're a team who could push Reading and Birmingham for automatic promotion.

Sheffield Wednesday - A sleeping giant, Wednesday have very limited resources and rely on revenue from sold players to bring in funds. If you want a challenge, this could well be it - don't expect any backing from the board but you do have a few talented players in Mark Beevers, Marcus Tudgay and Akpo Sodje that can help secure Championship status.

Southampton - The Saints have taken drastic measures to cut back their spending, including closing down part of their stadium. Southampton rely heavily on their excellent youth academy to succeed and could well be forced into sales if the interest in players arise. They'll want to keep players Lloyd James, Nathan Dyer and Jake Thomson if they're looking to succeed - but may be happy just to stay in the Championship at first. Another good team for those wanting a long term challenge.

Swansea City - League One winners who have some classy players among their ranks including much vaunted Ferrie Bodde. Definietely a player worth watching, in my view. But they've also got striker Jason Scotland and defender Alan Tate who are classy players. Expect them to do well and definitely upper mid table.

Watford - Financial problems continue to plague them, but Watford have a great youth academy and have kept a few of their Premiership stars. Players like Tommy Smith and John Eustace work well with talented youngsters John-Joe O'Toole and Adrian Mariappa. I think a play off place is possible, but managers may find their hands tied by limited resources.

Wolverhampton Wanderers - Another rich Championship side, Wolves are a team who have always seemed to lack that one element to make a success of it. But this year they may well have got it right and if not, any manager has the riches to bring in any missing piece. Another team who will challenge for automatic promotion.

So there you have it. Each of the 24 sides in the Championship. But who will you look to to improve the side? Here's a few suggestions I can make from the demo so far:

Goalkeepers

Jason Brown - Transfer-listed Wales keeper from Blackburn, Brown is definitely one worth looking at if you're looking for a decent keeper. Being only 26, he is just entering his prime as well.

Paddy Kenny - Will take a fair bit of cash to bring him to the club but is well worth the money.

Defenders

Tamika Mkandawire - Good solid defender who may well make the step up from Leyton Orient.

Gabriel Zakuani - Transfer listed defender from Fulham. Another young, solid player who would be able to improve most squads.

Midfielders -

George Boyd - Young Peterborough midfielder who looks like a class act both now and in the making. Definitely one for those who want a decent play maker.

Mark McGlinchey - Celtic winger available on loan. Has pace and reasonable technical ability and will probably happily come to most in the division.

Strikers

Bartosz Slusarski - West Brom's unwanted Polish striker has all the attributes to be a good Championship striker in my view. Definietely one to pick up while he's available.

Aaron McLean - Lightning quick striker with an eye for goal, McLean could well be available to teams with the cash to prize him out of Peterborough's grasp.

I hope that's enough to start a decent discussion about Championship sides. I look forward to reading everyones thoughts and comments about the Championship in FM09.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice Thread there.

looking foreward to the challenge of taking swasea to the hgher echelons of the English game, will look to start as my local team afer i have done my 6 month at United. Looking to get 2-3 realy good games going on the demo, ready to carry on in the full game :D

Havnt really looked much at the Swansea Squad this year, but they are thriving in teh Championship, good news for the team just premoted from the League 1.

Looking foreward to the challenge will post up how i get on soon.

lol licolncanary just about to recomend him!

hugu viana - 1.5 million premiership quality wants to come to reading but with strong compitition not sure if i will get him

ciprian deac - 600k great left midfielder

matteo brighi - centre midfield from roma wants to come to reading but again a lot of competition

damian ismodes - for 1.8 million an attacking midfielder, young and looks like one for the future

robbie fowler - 84k really good sub striker probaly to old to start now

Norwich

NorwichCity.jpg

Norwich City are my first team of choice in every Football Manager and usually provide a team that needs quite in depth restructuring but with a fair bit of resources to do it.

Unfortunately for the first time since Football Manager was created, this is no longer the case. With the credit crunch (and some suggest Director's squabbles) causing millionaires Andrew and Sharon Turner to leave the club's board of directors, Norwich don't have the resources to back the wholesale changes needed. Therefore, as Glenn Roeder has done in real life, you need to rely on freebies, bargains and loans.

£500k is the budget I received when I told the board I'd get them mid-table safety. The squad is as follows:

GK - David Marshall

GK - Declan Rudd

GK - Stuart Nelson

DR - Elliot Omozusi (on loan from Fulham)

DR - Jon Otsemobor

DL - Ryan Bertrand

DL - Simon Lappin

DL - Adam Drury

DC - Troy Archibald Henville (on loan from Spurs)

DC - John Kennedy (on loan from Celtic)

DC - Dejan Stefanovic

DC - Gary Doherty

MR - Lee Croft

MR - David Bell

MR - Luke Chadwick

ML - Ryan Bertrand

ML - Wes Hoolahan

MC - Darel Russell

MC - Sammy Clingan

MC - Mark Fotheringham

MC - Matty Pattison

ST - Arturo Lupoli (on loan from Fiorentina)

ST - Omar Koroma (on loan from Portsmouth)

ST - Antoine Sibierski (on loan from Wigan)

ST - Jamie Cureton

Of course, in the above some players can play in more than one position - for example, David Bell can play all over the place and Matty Pattison can play on the left. But those are by and large the players in their right position.

So what do you need to do? Well I for one initially tried to replace a poor set of staff. Unfortunately, finances prevented me from doing that. I may have to look into doing that in stages - but one things for sure, it needs doing.

Beyond that, I tried to secure the loanees on less costly contracts. I let Arturo Lupoli go relatively late into pre-season. His wages were too much for what I thought he could give. To replace I secured Daryl Murphy from Sunderland who I felt would be more productive.

I sold Lappin - who is incredibly overrated in the game - for £1mil (!), Chadwick for £100k and Fotheringham for £200k. I'm in the process of signing Otsemobor for £80k-£100k. I used that cash to buy Don Cowie from Inverness and Neal Eardley from Oldham for £400k each. Both have started the season well. I anticipate I'll be signing them in the full version as well.

Finally, I've just signed Andrius Velicka from Rangers on loan. I think his pace and finishing ability will be useful.

I look forward to reading other's thoughts on Norwich and other teams.

I've obviously gone for Ipswich (I'm in Lincoln too so we've probably secretly sneered at each other's football shirts at some point)

After promising promotion you get £5m to spend, that seems a lot but for top draw players it doesn't get you very much, after looking at the team I decided I needed a left back, centre back and left winger and attacking midfielder for the style of football and formation I wanted to use (basically a 4-2-3-1 similar to Man Utd, one holding striker with 3 attacking players and two holding midfielders sometimes switiching to 4-1-1-3-1 with one DM and one CM). Decide what formationyou want before you buy!

Sold:

Tommy Miller £200k

Jaime Peters £900k

Jai reason £250k

and a few players released to free up some wages

Bought:

Razan rat £2.7m DWBL (super set pieces and decent attacking fullback)

Andrew Driver £2.7m AML (tricky winger with promise)

Fran Merida AMLC Loan (Arsenal youngster)

Matthew Spiranovic Loan (Solid centre back)

Team

GK:

Wright

Supple

FB

Wright

Rat

Volz

CB

McCauley

Bruce

Spiranovic

Naylor

CM/DM

Shumulikoski

Campo

Garvan

AMRLC

Norris

Quin

Haynes

Walters

Merrida

Driver

ST

Counago

Rhodes

Wright, Haynes & Walters can also cover other positions, yet to play Stead or Lisbie due to injury and fitness.

Season so far: played 12 W7 D3 L2 currently 3rd in the league

Doncaster A 0-1 early lucky win as the team beds in

Barnet A 2-3 (cup) dominated the game

Burnley A 1-1 unlucky t not snatch this

Coventry H 3-0 absolutely batterd Coventry

Crewe H 3-0 (cup) Dominated and should have got more

Watford H 1-1 pretty close - Watford are top

Palace A 3-3 - End to end coming back from 3-1 down

Wolves H 1-0 - edgy game

Preston A 4-1 - Had twice as many shots 10% more possession nad Lonnergan was MOM DOH!

Portsmouth A 2-1 (cup) pretty lucky it was only 2-1 Pompey were all other us

Notts Forest A 0-1 Controlled this game easily

Sheff Utd H 4-0 Absoloutely battered them , 3-0 at half time, missed a hatful in the second half!

Next up it's the big derby with Norwich!

So far the best performers are Counago, Campo, Volz, Rats, Rhodes & Mcauley all averaging over 7.00

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE! In real life and on fm. Wolves are the real deal this year. Still completely underrated by everybody, but have better players than the blouses and more depth than reading.

Thank you for that less-than valuable contribution. Perhaps you would like to talk a little more about Wolves?

Will do Lincoln. Again kightly and especially matty jarvis have been underrated. Otherwise pretty happy with the squad. Possibly an extra winger is required for cover and competition for jarvo. Also an extra striker may be required if playing 2 up top as Vokes is a developing talent and Keogh isn't the best finisher (still quality).

I have signed Victor Moses for just over 1m, who provides cover for all attacking areas and for a price that is very competitive.

Started with 6.5m, which is set and possibly more than we have in real life. Have started well with 3 wins on the bounce despite injuries to kites and SEB.

Had a change of staff, kept a couple of the originals, terry connor and john perkins etc, but with a limit of 6 its quite difficult to get 6/7 * staff.

Hope that gave a little insight on wolves in 09 and I hope I can reproduce our current excellent form in real life.

playing as my beloved reading lol. seems the squad it pretty much right, kebe is a bit underrated, although he only really started showing his true ability a few games into the season when the stats were probably already in the game. had 9mill to spend, bought: sebastian larsson (pretty good all round right midfielder, does everything you want really), viana (technically excellent CM), razvan rat (good LB, and very good at set pieces too).

Keep an eye on Jonjo Shelvey and Josh Wright at Charlton, both promising central midfielders.

Yep, would disagree heavily about Ambrose or Zhi being great in game and especially real life though.

4-3-3 Would be the best formation I guess to take advantage of our young central midfielders with Bouazza on the wing.

playing as QPR:

currentyl signed ..

flavio 2.6

mohammed abdou tricka 3.3M

marious lewandowski 875K

igor duljaj 1.3M

looking to sign razan rat with possibilities of signing either danny haynes, nathan dyer, velicka or victor moses but not sure yet.

get back to you when seaosn starts which is next game

Great thread!

I'm going to manage Norwich. I managed them on 08 and it was great fun, although I didn't have too much success! Hopefully this time I'll be a bit more successful. They look like a good challenge, especially with their financial situation.

I'm not sure whether to start playing with them now, or wait till the full game is released and play on a large database.

lol licolncanary just about to recomend him!

hugu viana - 1.5 million premiership quality wants to come to reading but with strong compitition not sure if i will get him

ciprian deac - 600k great left midfielder

matteo brighi - centre midfield from roma wants to come to reading but again a lot of competition

damian ismodes - for 1.8 million an attacking midfielder, young and looks like one for the future

robbie fowler - 84k really good sub striker probaly to old to start now

I have signed the top two for Birmingham, both great player in Championship.

Also signed Fredy Montero from Deportivo Cali, 18 year old striker for £1.9m. Excellant scout report and a quality player until he got injured for 2 months :( scored 4 in 6 games.

Macauley Chrisantus from HSV also looks great Championship prospect, signed him for 900k with great scout reports. He too is injured for 2 months though after only 2 games.

Can see this injury occurance being very annoying :mad:

Also, have just this minute got Man U as a parent club :cool: - lets see who I can raid from their reserves :thup:

Yep, would disagree heavily about Ambrose or Zhi being great in game and especially real life though.

4-3-3 Would be the best formation I guess to take advantage of our young central midfielders with Bouazza on the wing.

Neither are great in the game, I think their strengths and weaknesses are reflected quite well.

Both are inconsistent, especially Ambrose. Shouldn't be the best at coping with pressure either, so they shouldn't over perform in game (hopefully!). If you notice anything more specific there's a Charlton thread in the data forum.

If you want a very long term game with Charlton, see if you can beat the record attendance - over 75,000.

You start with a big set of feeder clubs as well, ASEC being the most promising one - its where most of the best Ivory Coast players came from.

Once you sign players from them, you can loan them to Angers SCO in France, or Germinal Beerschot in Belgium, until they can get EU nationality or a work permit.

If you want a very long term game with Charlton, see if you can beat the record attendance - over 75,000.

You start with a big set of feeder clubs as well, ASEC being the most promising one - its where most of the best Ivory Coast players came from.

Once you sign players from them, you can loan them to Angers SCO in France, or Germinal Beerschot in Belgium, until they can get EU nationality or a work permit.

Completely forgot about the ASEC feeder..

Sheffield Wednesday - A sleeping giant, Wednesday have very limited resources and rely on revenue from sold players to bring in funds. If you want a challenge, this could well be it - don't expect any backing from the board but you do have a few talented players in Mark Beevers, Marcus Tudgay and Akpo Sodje that can help secure Championship status.

Definatley my first team and will always be a challenge. Tudgay and Jeffers can be two of the best strikers in the league on their day, but keeping the latter fit and uninjured will be difficult. Never the less Akpo can step up as an important replacement.

The cash is rediculous; good selling of the dead wood and bargain spotting is a necessity. Also, loans from the top teams should help. Though will they be willing? I really can't wait!

I've started as Reading. Agree with post above, Kebe bit underated but he'll do. Formation I'm playing atm is 4-1-2-1-2, this is mu current starting XI:

GK-Hahnemann

RB-Rosenior

LB-Armstrong

CB-Ingimarsson

CB-Bikey

RM-Kebe

LM-S.Hunt

DM-Harper

AM-Matejovsky

ST-Doyle

ST-N.Hunt/Long

Subs: Cisse, Sinclair, O'Toole, Convey, Long/N.Hunt

Signed: O'Toole from Watford for £2m, Scott Sinclair (loan from Chelski)

im gathering that with norwich being down in the dumps for finances my future game will be difficult (im always norwich) and maybe FM08/07/06 etc made it way too easy for us... i used to just sell all i could and completely change the team leaving maybe Otsemobor, Huckerby, Drury and Doherty.

Is there any chances of getting screenshots on the 'bound to be' overrated Hoolahoop!?

Cheers Lincoln for the great thread, will deffo be using this thread in 10days...

(I DONT WANT THE DEMO TO SPOIL THE MAIN GAME FOR ME :) )

Hi t1mbers,

Indeed Norwich are going to be a massive challenge this season; but I'm quite looking forward to it. For once, we've not had to replace the entire team from the bottom up as we do have a decent spine.

Anyway, Hoolahan (who, IMO is not overrated at all):

oolahanrk3.jpg

IMO the best player in the Norwich squad is Antoine Sibierski, who crucially I've discovered can be persuaded not only to join for the season but for a 0% wage contribution as well.

bigsibjv4.jpg

Haha at his shadow (antoine's) and it surprises me that Hoolahan is not better, therefore he looks a bit naff but its believeable after watching some of his home games irl this season.

Sib' s strength puzzles me a bit aswell because even though he is a target man he is on the floor more often than the football irl!

Anyone else worth keeping in this years line-up other than sibierski and marshall?

Do-Do-Do - Antoine Sibierski - Do-Do-Do - He's got a shiny head!

Worth keeping in my view is Darel Russell, Sammy Clingan, Antoine Sibierski and most of the defenders (Otsemobor and Lappin being the only exceptions). John Kennedy is also available for the season if you offer Celtic to pay his entire wages. By sending back Lupoli and Koroma and selling Fotheringham, Lappin, Cureton, Chadwick and Croft (Croft is criminally underrated IMO) you earn back about £35k of the wage budget. I will also sell Otsemobor, only because Eardley is rated to become a good Championship right back in future by my staff.

I too have taken on being the Canaries and my first step was terminating all loan players. I also sold Croft, Chadwick, Otsembor, Lappin, Russell, Cureton and Fotheringham... Drastic steps but they are overpaid and underperforming and i felt there are better alternatives out there. I firstly went for unattached players - Sebastian Abreu was a star i got up front for nothing, Carlos Tordoya and Marcos Cacares are the rocks in defence. I found a young Josh Kennet playing in Israel and he has the potential to be a great player (and only cost 3K). Signed Edu Alonso to work down the right flank and also picked up Chris Riley to back him up. Midfield is still a problem but did get Mascio as a great dead ball player. Picked up Sergei Terehhov to offer some width down either side and I also got Celestine Babayaro for left flank.

Then I got Robbie Fowler to provide an option up front (for 85K) and Jean-Joel Perrier-Doumbe (140K) to provide an option down the flanks. Henri Anier and Ahmed Yanuzi were two cheap buys who are showing the potential to bang in the goals and my most important purchase was Ruben Palazuelos to be my defensive midfielder in a 4-1-3-2 formation.

It's challenge being Norwich cause of the financial restrictions and also the fact that it's hard to attract the big names to East Anglia! Had a mixed pre-season and beat Wolves away in first game (thank gawd for Abreu) but looks to be a long six months! Injuries are brutal in the demo so far

Brave stuff, stunimmo1 - I personally think some of the loanees (John Kennedy, Troy Archibald Henville, Elliot Omozusi, Ryan Bertrand & Antoine Sibierski) have their uses and have kept them around. Antoine Sibierski in particular I find is a decent player at this level and has bagged 9 for me in my demo game partnered alongside Michael Chopra of Sunderland.

This is getting a bit Norwich-heavy now (which I love!) so I hope to hear a bit more about other Championship sides!

Hi im always norwich city to start with, but i have never struggled with them as much as now, crap team, no money, and no backing from board (i feel so sorry for glenn he has a real job on his hands)

lincolncanary im gonna try your tips in transfer market, how is your game going, where are you in table id love to know?

I've started a game with the mighty Bristol City, things are going well so far in the pre season. I've just played my first game of the league so I thought I'd come and post here with my squad/transfers.

Transfers:

11062008182950ct0.jpg

I asked for more money at the start and the board obliged, handing me and extra 2 million £, added with transfers out this was enough to bring in some players who I feel will add quality to the squad. I asked for a parent club and had a selection of Porrtsmouth/Everton/Man Utd. I choose Man Utd and they sent me Gibson on loan, which means I'm a little congested in the middle and some the orginal team members probably won't get much game time, unfortunately.

We'll lineup like this:

11062008214009ux5.jpg

This is probably my strongest side, though I'll rotate Gibson with an AMC for home games, I feel Gibson's defensive qualities make him a better choice for away games.

Our pre-season went well, keeping 4 clean sheets and scored 10 goals. We've got off to a great start in the League, thrashing Southampton 5-0 at their place, Walters bagged 2 on his debut and looks like he'll tear Championship defences apart, he's highly recommended!

Moses is brilliant, he's gonna be a big star in FM09. My Bristol CIty game is going well, we're sitting top after 10 games with 7 wins and 2 draws; our only defeat came away at Wolves, where we were level after 70 mins or so, but I had to change tactics to an untested 4-3-3 due to injuries and it didn.t work, Wolves put 2 more past us to win 4-2. We've scored the most goals so far, 23, and conceeded only 9 (which should be less if we discount that Wolves game ;)) I've also not bothered to set up set pieces, which would be one of our strong points, so I'm very impressed.

I'm really liking FM09, I feel like I can make a solid 4-4-2 tactic, and the transfer system seems much more realistic. Training also seems to have been improved, my players are at + stats and I've just got them all in general, so cannot wait to play around with that in the full game.

Archived