Player personality dynamics

I have been looking for information on the new player personality dynamics of FM18 but haven’t found anything particularly insightful. 

Though changes to personality and determination as a function of squad personality and determination is not new, I have not seen it change as often as I have so far in FM18 but that’s perhaps a welcome change.

However, I have not experienced a player becoming complacent after signing a new contract and going from Fairly Pro to Balanced, which would be ok if it was Professionalism going from 15 to 14, but it dropped to 10! That’s at least a 5 point drop, which is really quite detrimental for a 21 year old goalkeeper who has too important a role in the first team to be tutored... 

Has anyone come across similar issues? Any updated information on how to manage these issues? Maybe if I had refused a new contract? But he was right, he deserved it... 

On 6.2.2018 at 15:22, Akkarin said:

However, I have not experienced a player becoming complacent after signing a new contract and going from Fairly Pro to Balanced, which would be ok if it was Professionalism going from 15 to 14, but it dropped to 10! That’s at least a 5 point drop, which is really quite detrimental for a 21 year old goalkeeper who has too important a role in the first team to be tutored... 

Has anyone come across similar issues? Any updated information on how to manage these issues? Maybe if I had refused a new contract? But he was right, he deserved it... 

I had a Brazilian winger coming in at Schalke with 15 in 'Determination', it plummeted to 12 after a few months. When I looked at his training feedback it said something like "due to influence from other players his determination etc". I had at the time a lot "ambitious" personalities with average determination.

This is not exactly the same as your hidden attribute drop, but can be caused by something similar.

55 minutes ago, Ji-Sung Park said:

I had a Brazilian winger coming in at Schalke with 15 in 'Determination', it plummeted to 12 after a few months. When I looked at his training feedback it said something like "due to influence from other players his determination etc". I had at the time a lot "ambitious" personalities with average determination.

This is not exactly the same as your hidden attribute drop, but can be caused by something similar.

I have this too - and that was part and parcel to some extent already in FM17. But here it was explicitly because of signing a new contract. The training screen said something like “Has become complacent after signing a new contract”. I should have taken a screenshot but forgot at the time. 

When I saw that, I checked his personality - only to find he had gone from Fairly Pro to Balanced, upon which I decided to check what this meant. Boom, -5 points to Professionalism (at least, I don’t know what level he was before). 

The mechanic is clear in what happened, but it interests me to know what I could have done to avoid it . The situation doesn’t come along often enough perhaps to test various responses, hence why I was wondering if anyone had done updated research on the subject - particularly given how important player personalities are to player development...

It’s too late for my player unfortunately, he will likely always be stuck “unhappy with the high amount of extra training he has been asked to do”... but not too late for future prodigies - I will certainly be more careful giving contracts lest they become too big headed too quickly!

I had a similar experience with a Belgian central midfielder I had signed except the drop was even more pronounced.  I can't remember what the exact descriptions were now but effectively he dropped from early to mid teens in professionalism to about 3-5 after signing a new contract.  This got him kicked out of his social group and now all his team mates can't relate to him.  I am lucky that this didn't happen until after he had almost maxed out his potential (he developed early) but it was such a shame because he is a cracking player and my current first choice in his position.  It is realistic as it does happen in football that young players after earning their first big contract start to slack off etc. but it is a shame that there is no way you can rebuild them since like your player he is too good a player to be tutored.

1 hour ago, WhyMe said:

I had a similar experience with a Belgian central midfielder I had signed except the drop was even more pronounced.  I can't remember what the exact descriptions were now but effectively he dropped from early to mid teens in professionalism to about 3-5 after signing a new contract.  This got him kicked out of his social group and now all his team mates can't relate to him.  I am lucky that this didn't happen until after he had almost maxed out his potential (he developed early) but it was such a shame because he is a cracking player and my current first choice in his position.  It is realistic as it does happen in football that young players after earning their first big contract start to slack off etc. but it is a shame that there is no way you can rebuild them since like your player he is too good a player to be tutored.

Very interesting to hear, and I agree it is very realistic for some cases like this to occur. My player still has tons of development to do, but as he is my first choice GK I am hoping he will not be too badly impacted given he plays every game... will definitely be more cautious about contracts though!

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Mark. said:

It would make sense that if these attributes can drop, they can also go up from different interactions? (Tutoring aside) 

Yeah, I'd seen players in my youth squads' determination / personality improve, and recently for the first time I've seen an improvement in a first-teamer who can't be tutored. Anthony Martial has gone from 14 determination "light-hearted" to 15 determination "light-hearted". Weirdly it still says that "less desirable characteristics have rubbed off" but given it happened when my only signing was the Model Professional Harry Kane (16 determination) I'd imagine he's actually getting better. 

On 21/02/2018 at 20:38, Mark. said:

It would make sense that if these attributes can drop, they can also go up from different interactions? (Tutoring aside) 

Certainly, and that is what I was hoping someone might have experienced... as I really wanted to get him back up to a reasonable level of Professionalism. Alas it is too late now as I’ve moved on but if anyone does see an improvement I would be very interested to hear about it.

2 hours ago, Akkarin said:

Certainly, and that is what I was hoping someone might have experienced... as I really wanted to get him back up to a reasonable level of Professionalism. Alas it is too late now as I’ve moved on but if anyone does see an improvement I would be very interested to hear about it.

I haven't seen it yet in FM2018, but in FM2018 I had one instance of a player getting a random "is now more dedicated" due to off field events that saw like a 12 point increase in determination.  I also once saw a comment regarding complacency which saw a huge 6-8 point drop in Determination.

Archived