Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Loony BoB

Should I buy new or keep using older versions?

I have FM2012 and FM2015 at the moment.  I've not played in years and don't really care too much about things like current players as I tend to start very low league and rename all my players to people I know IRL, so they can enjoy the odd screenshot or clip.  With that in mind, I'm unsure if 2018 (or even 2016/2017?) is worth the plunge.  Should I start another save on my old games or are there features well worth checking out in the newer versions of the game?

Things I like doing: Scouting for players, building from youth, bringing an amateur or semi-amateur side up to the point it wins the CL.

Things I hate: Press conferences of any kind.  Team meetings seemed to be horrible almost all the time in my experience too.

Edited by Loony BoB

18 minutes ago, Loony BoB said:

I have FM2012 and FM2015 at the moment.  I've not played in years and don't really care too much about things like current players as I tend to start very low league and rename all my players to people I know IRL, so they can enjoy the odd screenshot or clip.  With that in mind, I'm unsure if 2018 (or even 2016/2017?) is worth the plunge.  Should I start another save on my old games or are there features well worth checking out in the newer versions of the game?

Things I like doing: Scouting for players, building from youth, bringing an amateur or semi-amateur side up to the point it wins the CL.

Things I hate: Press conferences of any kind.  Team meetings seemed to be horrible almost all the time in my experience too.

In my opinion, and before I get shot down in flames this is my own personal opinion, the two games you have are really good games and if i was in your position I would stick with what I have.  Yes you may be missing out on a few new features but not all have really improved the game.

If you're looking for a newer version I would strongly recommend 17. I think the UI changes alone will drive you mad in 18.

You will never get a consensus answer from this type of question, so try the free demo and decide for yourself.

If you like really low lower league  then Dan's Level 22 database he does every year could be a reason to buy the new game. He hasn't finished it yet, but I played his version for 2016 which I am still playing, & the only reason I am considering buying this years game is to get the latest version of this. Like you I don't care about the updated database nor the pointless features that have been introduced.

i would get fm17. it has the same set up and style of play. as already mentioned, the UI on 18 will make you pull your hair out and non of the new features i have seen work as i imagine they were intended

I am still playing 15, if you are happy playing the two versions you have then I would say stick with them, I have 16, 17 & 18 but I prefer 15 and don't feel that I'm missing out when playing it.

Probably best to try demo though, if I was gonna suggest one of the others then I would go with 17.

FM17 ftw, don't ask me to explain the reason,

as I only got FMH2012 and FM17 at the moment

Try FM18 demo or get one of the cheap versions...

Each and every one of them has its own set of quirks, flaws, bugs and annoying features, so it really depends on what you're looking for. There are enough new features compared to FM15, but if you really don't mind about new non-vital additions and you're used to an older version, I don't think it's a "life-changing" experience.

I think FM16 is a worthwhile upgrade over FM15 and you can get it really cheaply if you know where to look.  That said, if you are happy with FM15 as it is then there's probably no real need to buy a newer version.