FM18: FC Schalke 04 - Closing the Loop

Ji-Sung Park

1 hour ago, FMbeginner said:

@WillyBroadband Can I see your Schalke squad please? Also, how are your club finances?

Course mate. 

Squad.. I've made quite a few changes but kept the core of the most talented players. I also have Hassan as a CF but he's long term injured. 

5ad8eb04a4ed9_ScreenShot2018-04-19at20_14_46.thumb.png.09d0a794656ef1e845835dc1e0db7ff9.png

5ad8eb100b499_ScreenShot2018-04-19at20_15_10.thumb.png.a4e0646348f3cfffa4178aee01fb5fbd.png

Finances.. £83M twice for finishing second in the league & about £70M a season in sponsorship. Have also got the wage budget down a lot & sold a bit. 

5ad8eb1f45650_ScreenShot2018-04-19at20_15_34.thumb.png.12fe9b64a1e500fc9ca11a048f834f4c.png

Have also started with Schalke as well :D First game of the season, lost 3-0 to Bayern away :( 3 goals came from individual mistakes. :thdn:  But came roaring back with 4-0 win over HSV, with Di Santo, scoring all 4 goals! :cool: Brought in Lafont for 13M. Sold Burgstaller to Lyon for 10M and Stambouli to Monaco for 32M.

8 hours ago, Cal585 said:

How did you hold onto Howedes?

I didn't do anything at all mate, Juve just didn't bid for him. I think he had a minor injury around the end of June so it might've put them off. 

He's been solid but nothing spectacular. 

10 minutes ago, WillyBroadband said:

I didn't do anything at all mate, Juve just didn't bid for him. I think he had a minor injury around the end of June so it might've put them off. 

He's been solid but nothing spectacular. 

Wow, lucky. I had to sit and watch him go for 11 mill with a 25 mill value. Fans weren't happy with me :p

7 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

How did you manage to get £32M for Stambouli, dude? 

He wanted to leave as Monaco was interested in him. They offered 32M which I accepted.

Halfway through my 3rd season. After just sneaking the title last season, we've really pushed on and are smashing it. Not quite sure how, I think it's some good players and a morale run. I think Bayern's inconsistency in this save (they've gone through several managers) has really helped. Also 4-2-3-1 is really working for me. Chance to even go undefeated!

20180425155247_1.thumb.jpg.16291520e6b5044c0d6aa82001079054.jpg

Everyone is doing really well, averaging around 7.5. Front 3 particularly (Embolo, Correa and Vazquez). Embolo leading the CL scoring and Correa 2nd place in the Bundesliga. The Segundo Volante is the key player which is why I'm using AM rather than AP.

20180425155514_1.thumb.jpg.70b8384084aa936826c23742e25ebe87.jpg

Bayern again had a really slow start but are now kicking into gear and back into 2nd. Leipzig have been poor again.

On 25/04/2018 at 07:48, Cal585 said:

Halfway through my 3rd season. After just sneaking the title last season, we've really pushed on and are smashing it. Not quite sure how, I think it's some good players and a morale run. I think Bayern's inconsistency in this save (they've gone through several managers) has really helped. Also 4-2-3-1 is really working for me. Chance to even go undefeated!

20180425155247_1.thumb.jpg.16291520e6b5044c0d6aa82001079054.jpg

Everyone is doing really well, averaging around 7.5. Front 3 particularly (Embolo, Correa and Vazquez). Embolo leading the CL scoring and Correa 2nd place in the Bundesliga. The Segundo Volante is the key player which is why I'm using AM rather than AP.

20180425155514_1.thumb.jpg.70b8384084aa936826c23742e25ebe87.jpg

Bayern again had a really slow start but are now kicking into gear and back into 2nd. Leipzig have been poor again.

Good to see you doing well man. You're using the original database right? 

20 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

Good to see you doing well man. You're using the original database right? 

Yeah, hence keeping Goretzka and using Coke as a RB (also bought a TL Rahman because why not?). I've had a look at the updated one and love what the researchers have done but the January squad is so weak out wide that you're almost forced to play 5 at the back unless you undertake major overhauls.

19 hours ago, Cal585 said:

Yeah, hence keeping Goretzka and using Coke as a RB (also bought a TL Rahman because why not?). I've had a look at the updated one and love what the researchers have done but the January squad is so weak out wide that you're almost forced to play 5 at the back unless you undertake major overhauls.

Interesting opinion dude, I've played 4 at the back & had very good inside forwards for nearly 3 seasons now. Without major overhauls. 

I cancelled Rahman's loan straight away man, earns far too much for my liking. I got Marvin Plattenhardt from Hertha BSC in the first January window for £9M. He's been superb. 

20 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

Interesting opinion dude, I've played 4 at the back & had very good inside forwards for nearly 3 seasons now. Without major overhauls. 

I cancelled Rahman's loan straight away man, earns far too much for my liking. I got Marvin Plattenhardt from Hertha BSC in the first January window for £9M. He's been superb. 

So I've had another look at the Winter squad. Seems I had forgotten about Riether who might be passable. Caliguiri is also better defensively than I remembered. However, I would still feel concerned playing 4 at the back without bringing in entirely new players at both positions.  Riether at 34 doesn't have much left in him. Caliguiri and Oczipka make better WBs than FBs. Oczipka particularly is great going forward but looks like he will struggle against good teams. Nastasic is the opposite and offers nothing going forward and feels wasted not playing at CB. Kehrer has potential but needs work on his Off the Ball and probably his crossing. Rahman would be great if he wasn't injured and on massive wages.

I suppose Caliguiri and Riether are ok on the right for the first season. And Oczipka needs help regardless of whether you're playing him at WB or FB. So yes, I suppose it's doable. But it looks like it would require a bit of work.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I managed to see out the season undefeated and even sneak a 1-0 win against Bayern in the Cup to win a domestic treble. Lots of draws at the end though as I was more concerned with not losing than I was with winning. Embolo has been killing it up top for me (and I'm now one of his favourite people). Interestingly, I really struggled against English teams. I barely scraped a win in extra time of the 2nd leg in the CL against Man Utd and got smashed by Man City next round. Despite Embolo breaking records for highest average CL rating.

With back to back titles and CL semis, my reputation has also increased and suddenly all my player values have shot up (often way more than release clause). It's really good to see them properly rated like they would be if I sold them to a PL club, but surprised that club reputation makes such a drastic difference.

Archived