About Pressing

I've been trying to simulate the way Pep Guardiola's team playing but stills struggle with pressing. My possession only about 55-60% (been playing for 3 seasons, nearly 200 matches, but not many of them over 60%, maybe less than 10), opponents usually get good passing ratio (above 80%, sometimes lower but not many). I watched matches with Comprehensive Highlight and noticed that my players didn't press enough, even I have set maximum Closing down, Tight mark even closing the whole opponents in OI, but it doesn't work (I have tried all of the strategies mentalities). Players seem to stand too far from opponents. My players have high workrate as well: Lacazette 15, Lemar 15, Asensio 12 (lowest in my attackers), Özil 14, Wilshere 17, Nelson 14, ...

I think my tactic is working well when in possession. Even my players seem to try to dribble too much, especially the winger - he tried to dribble everytimes he got the ball - what made him being 1vs2 with opponent's winger and full back - being isolated with the rest of the team -> lose the ball. I don't want him to dribble that much, sometimes he dribbled over 20 times a match, what is unreal. It may causes of the game's match engine).

Winning trophies is not a big deal in this game, especially when I am controlling a top club (Arsenal) so what I want is to make a tactic that can dominate opponents (not the score - the way my team play is more important - I prefer winning 2-0 with dominating stats to 8-0 with counter-attack)

This is the tactic that I am using. Some PI on players (like mark tighter, tackle hard)

27336691_1993641990960014_50053228150101

I've found trying to create pressing traps does a better job of replicating true pressing in the match engine.  So this is how I've implemented a pressing trap on the right side isolating the DCR and then closing him down while shading the DR to force him to make a mistake (most of the time he boots it long and my CBs clean it up):

ScreenClip.thumb.png.228190f522190f999ae10e0906f7d798.png

In this case I'm playing a 4411(2 DMs) but the idea is the same for your system.  To enhance the trap even more you can also assign some individual man marking assignments.  So I might have the STC man mark the DCL, have my midfielders man mark the corresponding midfielders (MEZ on DMCR, RPM on DMCL, DLP-D on AMC).

It replicates the pressing trap you can read about here: https://spielverlagerung.com/2014/07/06/examples-of-pressing-traps-in-the-4-1-4-1/ - Read the section called "4-1-2-3 with asymmetric wingers", article might give you some other ideas too.

For those players they have the mark tighter and tackle hard PIs.  I use Close Down Much More as a TI, but you could remove that and go with individual PIs for closing down too.  I play DCL on Stopper and DCR on Cover as well.

1 minute ago, hardcoreholly said:

@Kharza_FM thanks, I wil read this

1 more thing I notice that my wingers get into the box too early no matter what role they are Winger/ IF, so opponents fullbacks/ wingers will be able to stay narrow while my fullbacks aren't stay wide (inveted wingback)

Move them back to the MR/ML slots.. I find they work out better that way anyway.  I also prefer not using the Inverted Winger role as well.. customize the WM-A instead to cut inside, sit narrow, etc.  My system is essentially a 4231 that looks like a 4411 on the tactics screen.

4 hours ago, Kharza_FM said:

Move them back to the MR/ML slots.. I find they work out better that way anyway.  I also prefer not using the Inverted Winger role as well.. customize the WM-A instead to cut inside, sit narrow, etc.  My system is essentially a 4231 that looks like a 4411 on the tactics screen.

This is exactly what my 4-1-4-1 with boca looks like, too. ML/MR are sooo much better, my only problem is that the ST gets low match ratings. He doesn't seem isolated, but he doesn't get much chance to have a go on his own. He'll knick a goal every third game maybe, but without the goal or assist he's always getting a low rating. Not a big deal, tbh. we haven't conceded in the Copa Lib yet, and sometimes the pressing is really nice.

I've read that AML/AMR don't really have pressing cues no matter the system and are designed to stay high and wide so that could be your problem.

8 hours ago, steakfaced said:

This is exactly what my 4-1-4-1 with boca looks like, too. ML/MR are sooo much better, my only problem is that the ST gets low match ratings. He doesn't seem isolated, but he doesn't get much chance to have a go on his own. He'll knick a goal every third game maybe, but without the goal or assist he's always getting a low rating. Not a big deal, tbh. we haven't conceded in the Copa Lib yet, and sometimes the pressing is really nice.

Where is your playmaker?  If you don't have it or haven't tried it.. AP-A make sure he gets forward too because you want your playmaker working the "hole" (area right outside the penalty box.. golden zone.. zone 14 whatever you want to call it).  What striker role are you using and what are your options (meaning how do you plan to score goals with your system)?

15 hours ago, Kharza_FM said:

Where is your playmaker?  If you don't have it or haven't tried it.. AP-A make sure he gets forward too because you want your playmaker working the "hole" (area right outside the penalty box.. golden zone.. zone 14 whatever you want to call it).  What striker role are you using and what are your options (meaning how do you plan to score goals with your system)?

Right now I have a DLP-S in the DMC position with Gago but his contract is running out so I make look into making Bentancur an AP-S or AP-A in the midfield. I use very fluid so like to only have one; of all the forward positions I've tried I like False 9 the best, I started playing this 16 year old there and he's put in a few performances of note. I have my WMs as IFs essentially, so a lot of the goals come from them playing someone in, but I take too many long shots for my liking as well. Can't complain tho, I think we're 18-3-0, and in the group stage of copa lib. 

Archived