Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
prot651

Favorite FM Series

What is your Favorite FM Series  

232 members have voted

  1. 1. What is your Favorite FM Series

    • FM06
      4
    • FM07
      19
    • FM08
      22
    • FM09
      6
    • FM10
      14
    • FM11
      10
    • FM12
      63
    • FM13
      21
    • FM14
      16
    • FM15
      23
    • FM16
      16
    • FM17
      40
    • FM18
      37


Recommended Posts

I voted FM07 and 08, but I think FM is more accessible and more real life since they introduced roles instead of weird sliders.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RinusFM said:

I think FM is more accessible and more real life since they introduced roles instead of weird sliders.  

No comment against you, but I feel the exact opposite. The game is less accessible and less like real life since they introduced the roles instead of the sliders.

Best version of FM IMO has to be before the change in dialogs, when there were about 4 abstract options and you could imagine the direction of the conversation. Before they took away time wasting as its own instruction. What version is that? I think around 13.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tacticsdude said:

No comment against you, but I feel the exact opposite. The game is less accessible and less like real life since they introduced the roles instead of the sliders.

Best version of FM IMO has to be before the change in dialogs, when there were about 4 abstract options and you could imagine the direction of the conversation. Before they took away time wasting as its own instruction. What version is that? I think around 13.

Absolutely correct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted for 10 & 15, they are the two that I have played the most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted FM 14, not because it was a better game or anything but I just remember enjoying it a lot more than any others. FM13 and 08 would be my choice of better games. 

 

Would love to have a go on FM08 with an up to date database. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted for FM12 purely by the hours that I put into that game compared to the others. Although CM 97/98 was probably my favourite game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nostalgia will skew this converstation a lot ... 

 

And in my case, being someone who grew up with the series, i'ver discovered life and adulting skews my levels of enjoyment in the newer games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Nostalgia will skew this conversation a lot ... 

Not a lot at the moment though with 17 & 18 leading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reason for the poll was the fact I had to give up on FM18 . The main reasons were the fact that it has become more of a chore than a enjoyable game plus the match day graphics are now too high end and I can't enjoy the game day experience due to choppy graphics hurting my eyes.  We don't all have high end computers . Anyway so I went back to FM15 . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted for FM13, just because I've had my favourite and longest career on that version of the game. I'm in season 30 and still playing. (My previous best was 12 seasons in CM00/01.)

If you'd asked me what I thought was the best game in the series, I'd have voted for FM17 (even with the horrific newgen faces).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, i am really interested what were the best selling games in FM franchise so far. Can anyone give me a link where i can check that or answer? Thanks 

Edited by Cro-cop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FM12 for me.  It's my goto version each year.  Very easy to pick up and play, good UI that is easy to navigate and the right balance between depth and career speed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have sung the praises of FM12 in various threads across these forums, receiving a fair amount of negative comments, however FM12 is usually in second place to the current release in any polls carried out, and is still being played by many six years after release.  The question is this will FM18 still be being played and be in a high position in any polls in six years time, I very much doubt it

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could never now go back and play any game that predated the player collision introductions as they were so easy to exploit as to be boring, but they were also the most enjoyable (up until you either figured out the exploit or realised you'd inadvertently been using it).

FM2008 was lovely, clean bright and user friendly, an absolute treat.

FM 11 also turned into a nice neat and tidy game.

That doesn't mean I could enjoy playing them now though.

The last 3 have gone back to being a gameable exploitable mess, and with 18 being the worst from a UI perspective.

17 probably the actual best in real terms, even if older ones were more fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks a lot, Welshace. 

I must say i am surprised with numbers if they are accurate. Didnt expect this fallout in the last few years.

Wonder if people are disappointed with direction where the game is going, or if there is some context.

Sorry for being a bit off topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe for one moment that those figures from VG Chartz tell the whole story. I'd guess that they track only physical sales, and not digital sales.

Steamspy seem to offer (possibly) more accurate information on how many Steam users own a particular game. Again, this might not be spot-on, but the numbers seem to be about right:

  • FM15 - 1.153m owners
  • FM16 - 1.123m owners
  • FM17 - 1.138m owners
  • FM18 - 594k owners (so far)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I can't believe for one moment that those figures from VG Chartz tell the whole story. I'd guess that they track only physical sales, and not digital sales.

Steamspy seem to offer (possibly) more accurate information on how many Steam users own a particular game. Again, this might not be spot-on, but the numbers seem to be about right:

  • FM15 - 1.153m owners
  • FM16 - 1.123m owners
  • FM17 - 1.138m owners
  • FM18 - 594k owners (so far)

Surely SI should have accurate sales figures for all releases

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 ore fa, Tony Wright 747 ha scritto:

I have sung the praises of FM12 in various threads across these forums, receiving a fair amount of negative comments, however FM12 is usually in second place to the current release in any polls carried out, and is still being played by many six years after release.  The question is this will FM18 still be being played and be in a high position in any polls in six years time, I very much doubt it

I agree with you, since 2011 my ranking is this:

1) FM12
2) FM13
3) FM11
4) FM14
5) FM16
6) FM15
7) FM17
8) FM18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Surely SI should have accurate sales figures for all releases

I can't imagine they'd be excited to release them. I can objectively say that of the versions I've played, it seems that every year the game is less enjoyable since FM13. When I'm done with my current FM17 career I'm going back to a previous version. (FM17 is near unplayable, the ME is a mess.)

I don't know how SI maintains a consistent decline in features and enjoyment when in theory they are actively working to improve the game, but it seems that nobody is happy with it. Certainly not players like me nor the ones reflected in the sales, and SI couldn't be happy with the decline either.

I just sincerely hope that we don't go around allowing ourselves to blame the peripheral reasons. That the industry is in decline, players are not into immersive games anymore, the next generation of gamers wants more stylish graphics, etc. All of that is BS compared to the real reason: the quality of FM has declined sharply over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, tacticsdude said:

I can't imagine they'd be excited to release them. I can objectively say that of the versions I've played, it seems that every year the game is less enjoyable since FM13. When I'm done with my current FM17 career I'm going back to a previous version. (FM17 is near unplayable, the ME is a mess.)

I don't know how SI maintains a consistent decline in features and enjoyment when in theory they are actively working to improve the game, but it seems that nobody is happy with it. Certainly not players like me nor the ones reflected in the sales, and SI couldn't be happy with the decline either.

I just sincerely hope that we don't go around allowing ourselves to blame the peripheral reasons. That the industry is in decline, players are not into immersive games anymore, the next generation of gamers wants more stylish graphics, etc. All of that is BS compared to the real reason: the quality of FM has declined sharply over the years.

SI have sold over a million copies of their last 5 games, and they released that info each year, so they're happy to release it because the games are still selling well.

Also, you say "objectively", but I don't think that means what you think that means. You're giving your opinion on a medium, which is your subjective opinion and trying to portray your opinion as anything other than subjective is disingenuous. Given that according to Streamspy , around 400,000 people have played FM18 in the last 2 weeks, and FM17 had over 180,000 people playing in the last 2 weeks (over a year and a half since it was released, and 3 months after the release of FM18), the 2 latest iterations of the game are doing damn well at present in terms of sales and player-retention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Also, you say "objectively", but I don't think that means what you think that means. You're giving your opinion on a medium, which is your subjective opinion

That's fair. What I meant is:

As objectively as a single individual can, having tried 5 or more versions of the series along the years between 08-17, having gone back and forth comparing them back to back, having assessed their pros and cons, making an effort to remove my personal feelings when making a decision,

having tried to appreciate the effort towards newer version and having enjoyed some of the improvements,

without solid stats but having read the opinions of hundreds of players,

it seems that every year the game is less enjoyable since FM13

 

And on a personal note I added,
When I'm done with my current FM17 career I'm going back to a previous version. (FM17 is near unplayable, the ME is a mess.)

And I'll expand that to say I was playing FM11 last year, so I have a very strong understanding of the differences between FM11 and FM17 (I'm not wearing rosy glasses about the distant past). FM17 is not half the game FM11 was, even though the interface is better and there are many new features, FM11 is a great game whereas FM17 is nearly unplayable from having so many flaws and just so many unworkable systems -

Note that I objectively* (see above) believe that in FM17 tactics are a mess, ME is a mess, scouting is a mess. I don't means "less than perfect", or "ok at best", but a true mess. The tactics system is not "ok" it is poor. The ME is not "ok" it is a disaster incapable of accurately representing even the big clubs and big players. The scouting is an utter failure. I say that as objectively as I can, making a serious effort to be level-headed. I know these are bold statements, I put 330+ hours into FM17 getting to this conclusion. I put over 1000 hours into FM11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After finishing an 18 month save on FM16 I have gone back to FM12 which I beleive to be a better game with a better ME and I am able to fine tune my tactics better than in FM16.  In FM12 I can play a ball winning midfielder and if he gives away too many fouls I can instruct him to tackle easier, I couldn't do that in FM16 without changing his role.  A ball winning midfielder can still tackle without giving away fouls and I see this better replecated in the earlier version. This is just one example of how tactics are far more flexable in FM12, along with more realistic looking stadiums, crowds, lighting, weather etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Defensive said:

FM 17 easily. It was near perfect.

What about regens faces, what about the wingers defensive duties and other ME issues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No wonder the favorite FM series is the easiest one. 

FM 2007 is the best of the earlier series IMO, whilst FM15 was the best of the recent editions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Marius_R said:

No wonder the favorite FM series is the easiest one. 

Do you mean FM12 was easiest as in the ME is weak so the game is easy to beat? I've played FM11 and FM13 and I don't remember them being easy (medium maybe, but not easy).

FM17 is a walk in the part. I barely pay attention to the match tactical setup - couple minor tweaks in the first 15 mins and the points are in the bag. I do lose some games, but seldom due to tactics (even though I'm barely making an effort).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tacticsdude said:

Do you mean FM12 was easiest as in the ME is weak so the game is easy to beat?

Exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vor 2 Stunden schrieb Tony Wright 747:

What about regens faces, what about the wingers defensive duties and other ME issues

Regens faces completely irrelevant, wingers defensive duties a very minor issue. Overall nothing even close to game-breaking.

FM 17 is challenging and rewarding as it should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Defensive said:

Regens faces completely irrelevant, wingers defensive duties a very minor issue. Overall nothing even close to game-breaking.

FM 17 is challenging and rewarding as it should be.

Whatever floats your boat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of hours played, Steam states FM17 for me, with just under 4,000 hours logged.   I did thoroughly enjoy last years version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

In terms of hours played, Steam states FM17 for me, with just under 4,000 hours logged.   I did thoroughly enjoy last years version.

Funnily enough, I reached 4,000 hours on FM13 today.

I played 196 hours on FM15, 343 hours on FM16, and 609 hours (and counting) on FM17. Those low numbers are more down to be being thoroughly invested in a long-term FM13 save, and not having much time to play the later games, than those later games being any less enjoyable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vor 5 Stunden schrieb YOUNGSTEVE:

I am still playing FM16. Why is it so unpopular? Is it harder than the other versions?

Actually its very easy. ME was broken for me with these weird goals from crosses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prot651 said:

So what has FM12 have that's so popular that FM18 doesn't . 

As others have said, FM12 had flaws which made it pretty easy to find a formula to repeat and be successful, negating a lot of everything else. A lot of it boiled down to having a pacy strike force, as the defenders weren't great at dealing with through balls or direct dribbling. Combine that with it being the last engine without collision detection- ie, the "best" version of that engine- and the nostalgia's understandable. It was a lot of fun, but certainly felt a bit more arcadey than FM usually does.

For me personally, it was also the version which I learned to get to grips with the Editor with, which has been getting slightly worse with each new iteration.

 

Still wasn't as good as FML, though :lol:

Edited by Lawlore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...