Your best/longest career?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a few, but with work and family life don;t get many really long saves going anymore before the new FM is given to me for my Birthday each December.

Early on,  I think it was FM10 or 12 I started at my home town club Altrincham. In the National Conference at the time. Couple of things stick in the memory of that one.

1: A 16 yr old Wonderkid GK who i found and poached, playing first  team football from 16 yrs old in the Conference, was still with us in Championship winning season

2: A young (I think he was 19) Michael Fournasier  I think his name was. Picked up on free, was a rock as DC in conference. Was still first choice when we reached Premier League although he was ageing a bit then.

3: 2nd season in Premier League, getting both Paul Scholes and Zlatan Ibrahimovic as coaches.

4: First game of first season in the Premier League winning at Anfield 6-1

FM16 with Lyon. Got to the start of the 2028-29 season so 13 full ones. Highlights include winning the Champions League in 2025 with an entirely homegrown squad - and by homegrown, I mean they all spawned in my academy or had done in real life (I repeatedly bought and sold Alexandre Lacazette before he ended his career with us, and brought back Benzema who later became our DoF) - against Manchester United, then lost to them the season after. Established a duopoly on the league with PSG (I think I lost a couple of cup finals to the likes of Bordeaux or Nantes, but to be honest it was a bad 13-14 year period to be anyone but a Lyon or PSG supporter), and in one World Cup match France's entire starting 11 was my best starting 11, with the rest of the squad predominantly our prospects / prospects I had bought in then sold on at great profit when I decided to go fully self-sustaining. A striker who had spawned in my first season was on course to break Fleury Di Nallo's 182 club league goals record by the age of 25 as well, and I'd done contracts so exceptionally that when we won the CL my top earner below Umtiti (who was on £110k / week) was on £30k/week and France's starting right back was on under £10k/week.

Doubt I'll ever get in that deep on a save again to be honest. I've had a few 8 season ones on FM16/17 as well, can't make any saves stick on the current version though - longest is 2021/22 season. 

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

I was Arsenal manager for 100 years. It was immense. Bought a player for a club record fee of 152m - this was back in FM11. 

Are you Aresene Wenger in disguise?

On 05/06/2018 at 01:21, ThatGuyYouKnow01 said:

How old's your manager now? Do you get forced to retire or something because now your manager is most likely over the age of 100!

The managerial profiles do not appear to age over 100. The dates of birth remain the same, so in fact I have one profile who is now almost 119, another one who I think is around 116 and the Fulham manager is either just turned 100 or about to !!!!

On 31/05/2018 at 18:51, L-Wiz said:

wow thought i had racked up a few seasons on my FM13 save. still playing it and still going strong. into season 2050/2051 (so 37 seasons)

started as portsmouth and must have spent circa 15 odd years there turning them into a world force.

i then had a mixed journey of Everton for 4 season, followed by a few years in Russia, with FC Chernomorets, FC Luch and CSKA Moscow.

This then followed by a 2nd long and successful stint at Portsmouth, again bringing them back to the top.

i then had 2 seasons at Hibs, winning the league in 2nd year.

then 4 seasons at Betis, where i could only finish 3rd (twice) and realise Barca/Real domination would take forever.

a very brief half season at AFC wimbledon of League 2 which was going very average, and a relegation threatened norwich in the prem offered me the job at Xmas. i have steered them to a 9th place finish in my first season there.

and now into the summer for another squad overhaul.

literally been playing this save for 5 years. sometimes i can go weeks or even months without playing at all (due to other commitments)

I think I went the best part of 12 months without playing my game save a few years ago. This game save was one of the first I got going with when FM11 came out. I seem to remember getting somewhere in the region of the late 2030's and that's when I had a hiatus from playing it for a while and then one day, I randomly remember loading the game up and trying to pick up where I left off, and the rest as they say is history !!!!

Trouble is if I tried to list all my managerial jobs and achievements, I would probably end up with an entire thread to myself - with pages and pages of waffle and useless information !!

Now in the year 2100, with 4 managerial profiles on the go, I haven't holidayed once and my game time states more than 369 days... Yes, that's effectively a whole year of my life having been spent playing my current FM11 game save !!!!!!

Season 2099-2100 is at an end...

Fulham went 26 games unbeaten through to the end of the season and, coupled with a stutter from Chelsea, ended up winning the league by 14 points, scoring 114 goals in the process and finishing with a goal difference of +97. Chelsea managed to cling on to 2nd despite a late surge from Arsenal and Everton secured the final Champions League spot, pipping Tottenham to 4th by virtue of goal difference.

I had played weakened teams in both domestic cup competitions and paid the price, being knocked out early on in both competitions. But this was offset by claiming another Champions League trophy, our 43rd, by beating Italian side Genoa in the final. England International John Daniel certainly stepped up to the plate and finished as the Premier League's top scorer, scoring 45 in his 34 league appearances.

Lazio kept up their relentless march to the Serie A title until early April when an injury crisis took hold and 3 winnable matches, turned in to 3 games without a win. AC Milan were gaining momentum and with just 1 game remaining, Lazio lead AC Milan by just a solitary point. Lazio had the best head-to-head record between the two, but with Milan entertaining relegation threatened Cesena on the final day, I knew that a win was a must. Lazio's last game saw us away at a club in mid-table and described as one of Lazio's "fierce rivals", Vicenza.

The game started so well, from the first real attack in the 4th minute, we scored. Alessandro Corsini netted his 43rd league goal of the season. Five minutes later it was two. That man again with his 44th of the season. Into the 15th minute we headed, we attacked. Roger Nielsen gets to the byline and floats the ball into the box, Robin Castera goes for the ball and ends up on the deck.... Referee says PENALTY !!!!!

Alessandro Corsini steps up to complete his hat trick and put the game to bed....and promptly balloons the ball high over the crossbar..... From thereon Vicenza seemed to gain momentum and pulled a goal back on the stroke of half time. The second half was nervy and jittery, chances seemed to come and go and the woodwork came to our rescue right at the death...but ultimately we had done. Lazio were indeed Serie A champions and it was no fluke. 92 points from our 38 games, with Milan just one point behind us and Alessandro Corsini finished as golden boot winner with 44 goals.

For me, the most satisfying moment of the season came in the Champions League first knock out round. The draw pitted us against premier league high-flyers Everton. Everton played very well in the first leg at their place, but we were awful. It ended 3-0. Prior to the second leg, the Everton managed commented that his team weren't afraid of us... the comment annoyed me, but I ignored it. I thought I'd let my team do the talking on the pitch...and did we !!! 1-0 up after 3 minutes, 2-0 after 27 and into the half term break. In to the second half and I was urging us forward...BANG 3-0 !! The main man Corsini with his second of the game. We continued to dominate but there was to be no more goals in normal time. Into extra time we went...and Corsini took it upon himself to finish off the tie... with a goal either side of the half time interval. Result, Lazio 5, Everton 0. Aggregate score Lazio 5, Everton 3. Needless to say after the game I made a tongue in cheek comment that I thought the Everton manager was out of his depth... ;)

Unfortunately Lazio's Champions League run came to an end at the semi final stage, at the hands of Fulham, but there's certainly no shame in that !!

Blackpool on the other hand endured an extremely mixed season, ultimately finishing 14th. When I took over, I promised the fans entertaining, attacking football and that's exactly what they got. By scoring 75 goals, we ended up being the top goalscorers in the league. However what I didn't bargain for was our leaky defence, which let in 82 goals. Only Barnsley and Swansea conceded more and they were both relegated !! Mark Davidson, who I loaned from Fulham finished the season as the divisions' top goalscorer with 31 goals. He will be big shoes to fill next season.

One small item left for the season is Euro 2100. Can I win it for host nation England...

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't been on here for a short period...what with the World Cup going on and all that... !!!!

Quick update to my previous post... As England, sadly I got knocked out of Euro 2100 in the Semi Finals to eventual winners Italy. However, it has now made me more determined to win the 2102 World Cup !!

In the meantime, season 2100-01 has now been completed. Another Premier League title in the bank for Fulham, our 52nd in a row. Made it a double for the season by destroying Championship side Hull City 6-0 in the FA Cup final.

Lazio successfully retained the Serie A title, but more surprisingly also managed to win the Champions League, by beating Borussia Dortmund in the final. Lazio disposed of Fulham in the Quarter Finals on away goals, before despatching Dutch giants PSV in the semi's. I subsequently declared an interest in the manager's position at Bayern Munich, after seeing them only manage 4th in the Bundesliga and the manager was swiftly given his marching orders and the Lazio manager was offered the position... Definitely a decision to ponder over before I next load up the game...

For Blackpool, following the topsy-turvy 2099-2100 season, I decided to focus on strengthening the defence. I broke the wage structure I had implemented to sign Hibernian's SPL winning Captain, Centre-back Scott McVey and immediately made him my captain. Add to him a selection of exciting, talented prospects and I thought I had a team capable of challenging for the play-offs. I loaned a promising centre-back from Manchester United together with a centre forward from Lazio and the same centre midfielder I had the previous season from Everton.

My expectations of reaching the playoffs were exceeded by sitting in the top 2 for the majority of the season, eventually securing promotion with 3 games to go. We finished second behind Ipswich Town, who like us, were also a surprise package, having been tipped to finish mid-table. The season was almost an unbelievable success, having had a crazy run in the League Cup and getting to the final, where we succumbed to a narrow 1-0 defeat to Premiership high-flyers Arsenal. I even managed all this despite my chairman deciding to sell 4 of my first teamers in the January transfer window. I told him exactly what I thought of him and his decisions in the next press conference when asked about it, but still managed to keep my players focused on the job in hand.

Now looking forward to the summer break, with a couple of World Cup qualifiers to preside over for England whilst evaluating the Fulham squad, making a decision between staying at Lazio or moving to Bayern and attempting to rebuild bridges between my chairman at Blackpool and assembling a squad capable of consolidating our position in the Championship...

Archived