Sports Interactive Community
Rooks

FM18: AFC Ajax - De Godenzonen

220px-Ajax_Amsterdam.svg.png

Amsterdamsche Football Club Ajax

History

Amsterdamsche Football Club Ajax was formed in 1900 (the Ajax name was taken after a figure in Greek mythology). The distinguished white shirt with a broad red stripe was designed in 1911.

It didn't take too long to assert some early success, which coincide with the arrival of Jack Reynolds at the club; save for two short breaks, the legendary Englishman managed the club from 1915 to 1947. During this time Ajax slowly grew into the role of the best club in the country, a process that culminated with their first golden era in the 30s. With Reynolds at the helm, Ajax claimed eight League titles and two KNVB Cups.

After a slight slump, Ajax returned to the football scene at around the same time professionalism was introduced to the Netherlands (1955).

Michels, Cruyff and "Total Football"

While they won two Eredivisie titles in 1957 in 1960, as well as their third KNVB Cup in 1961, it wasn't until the appointment of Rinus Michels as manager that Ajax truly became something special. With Michels instilling his famous "Total Football" philosophy and Johan Cruyff serving as its conductor, Ajax cruised to six Eredivisie titles and four KNVB Cups. They also made the history books by claiming three consecutive European Cups from 1971 to 1973, thus becoming one of only five clubs to successfully defend the trophy. (And also one of the few clubs that have the trophy permanently in their collection, the rule is that a club that win the competition five times in total or three times in a row keep the throphy.)

The Total Football Ajax practiced meant that each player (except the goalkeeper of course) contributed to the field and could take over each other roles. In other words a defender could for a while serve as an offender and vice versa. This was not the same thing as a complete abandoning of positions, but the positions would not limit the players, instead overlaps were an option and the back line would be compressed with the midfield which resulted in faster ball deliverance from defenders to attackers. Total Football was however not a Dutch invention from scratch. As usual, there were forerunners and here can Hungary's national team be mentioned as an inspiration for Michels.

For some years Ajax would be the dominating force in European club football. This era, later referred to as "Gloria Ajax", reached its end with Cruyff's and Neesken's departure for Barcelona in 1973 and 1974.

A new generation

Towards the end of the 70s, Ajax would be in the spotlight again after the return of Cruyff, this time as the coach, and with a new generation of talented youngsters led by Wim Kieft, Frank Rijkaard and Marco van Basten. Their attractive brand of offensive football made them fan favorites wherever they went, and the results were as good as ever. Between 1977 and 1987, Ajax won six Eredivisie titles, four KNVB Cups and their first and only UEFA Cup. The emergence of PSV in the later half of the 80s and the departures of Rijkaard and Van Basten saw the club decline a bit, but they still managed to top off the decade by clinching an Eredivisie title in 1990.

With Louis Van Gaal taking over as manager in 1991 and instilling his own unique philosophy at the club, further success was sure to follow – although his pragmatic approach to football wasn't appreciated by the fans who wanted see their team play offensive. He quickly formed an entirely new team, from Edwin van der Sar between the sticks to Dennis Bergkamp as a striker. Between 1991 and 1999, this ensemble of talented youngsters won four Eredivisie titles, three KNVB Cups, an UEFA Cup and a Champions League. The high point was the Champions League victory in 1995 after beating AC Milan in the final.

In August 1996 the team moved from De Meer Stadion, that had served as home field since 1934, to the Amsterdam ArenA that had more than twice the capacity (53,502 seats).

Compared to their previous golden eras, the 00s proved to be slightly disappointing for the club's fans. With the most important pieces of Van Gaal's team departing from the club and the meteoric rise of PSV, Ajax had to settle for two Eredivisie titles and four KNVB Cups. Still, the appointment of Frank De Boer as manager in 2010 changed things for the better in all aspects, as evidenced by the four consecutive Eredivisie titles that followed.

Edited by Rooks

Goalkeepers

Andre Onana

Spoiler

1amp98.png

Benjamin van Leer

Spoiler

zlt1fksaz0.png

Defenders

Mitchell Dijks

Spoiler

i5lf0o3on.png

Luis Orejuela

Spoiler

aiqqk94u.png

Maximilian Wober

Spoiler

4lj2t1o.png

Joel Veltman

Spoiler

tl6cpr5qa.png

Matthijs de Ligt

Spoiler

bttcyi2p.png

Nick Viergever

Spoiler

8kgix0c2ijne.png

Edited by Rooks

Midfielders

Daley Sinkgraven

Spoiler

aduc8vl8bdx4.png

Frankie de Jong

Spoiler

r7zh3bryl3se.png

Donny van de Beek

Spoiler

8kllcxi.png

Lasse Schone

Spoiler

dvi95qjdt45cm.png

Abdelhak Nouri - Retires at the end of his contract due to real life events. Stay strong appie. 

Spoiler

kbr4ykj6s.png

Hakim Ziyech

Spoiler

ep90j5ccxtdw.png

Siem de Jong

Spoiler

25axpzjzl0.png

Edited by Rooks

Attackers

Vaclav Cerny

Spoiler

tt7j0dayo.png

Amin Younes

Spoiler

t7rmbguy.png

David Neres

Spoiler

gbow6l.png

Justin Kluivert

Spoiler

9l9dovu5.png

Dennis Johnson

Spoiler

odbltu.png

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

Spoiler

kbhmwufrht.png

Kasper Dolberg

Spoiler

3kpe9yb1.png

Matteo Cassierra

Spoiler

ki9mdizpafwqw.png

Edited by Rooks

Young Ajax / B Team - Team

Enough talent to build on. With good training, enough players that can break trough or you can sell for a large fee. 

Spoiler

4yfbvi4wkayfp.png

2jfddo7.png

Ajax U19 - Team

This is my main fishing spot. These are the players that in 3 years time need to get into my first eleven. They will get heavily tutored and trained so in the second year they can grow into Young Ajax or getting loaned out to get playing time. In there third year they need to be backup or better. Otherwise it's another loan deal or they will get sold. 

Spoiler

2k4v4o.png

fv8eqb.png

Edited by Rooks

Staff Ajax 

It's hard to start at Ajax because you have no staff - this is also a plus because you can shape your staff right from the start how you want it. 

Spoiler

2agt4lk.jpg

Staff Young Ajax - B Team

Spoiler

1em5ub.png

Staff Ajax U19

Spoiler

191tag.png

Facilities 

Spoiler

2jepuur.png

Edited by Rooks

Europa Cup

Wasn't lucky with the draw against PSG. Them and Zenit I wanted to avoid, but it wasn't to be. First leg was even and a fair result - second leg was again even until the second half. There PSG got the upper hand and I lost the game. No shame at all, but I would have been nice to go for the triple in the first year.

Next years aim to win the Champions League. 

Game 1

b5pqs39o5dq9e.06.19.png

Spoiler

xx276pn.04.02.png

Game 2

rjqlq13i3.06.30.png

Spoiler

a3f5g6.04.23.png

What positions need strenghtening (if any)? And who whould you all recommend?

Will it be extremely hard to hang on to De Ligt and Dolberg? (I guess it would)

5 hours ago, Gungner said:

What positions need strenghtening (if any)? And who whould you all recommend?

Will it be extremely hard to hang on to De Ligt and Dolberg? (I guess it would)

I only bought Nick Venema from FC Utrecht for the U19 squad, also Ukra and Boymans on a free for tutoring. You can win the league and cup fairly easy without any signings - but the only real 'weak' spot is the left back position. 

I still have them both - but it cost me. Renewed there contract two times and Dolberg is on a 37k p/w wage right now and de Ligt on 28k p/w or something. They stayed because I promised them trophies and they got them. So yes, it would be a challange but by offering them enough wage I think for at least two years you will be fine. Enough options to replace them like Kaj Sierhuis for Dolberg and Pascal Struijk for de Ligt. 

I think the dm spot is the real weakness and maybe an lb, like in irl. 

For dm check the two boys from braga(danilo and vukcevic).

For the lb i go for gersbach(rosenborg)

1 hour ago, old-school-styla said:

I used Schone for the Deep Lying Playmaker-role. Rotated him heavily with Frenkie de Jong and after the winter transfer window with Adem Maher. I agree that if you want to push into CL - you need a world class player. 

1 hour ago, Gungner said:

37k and 28k pr week seems extremely cheep though!

Kasper Dolberg

6ihpr7ru1.06.06.png

Matthijs de Ligt

053nncuzy4751.06.18.png

Always loved an Ajax save on FM and this year is no different. My aim is to develop the players that come up through the youth systems, get them into the first team or sell on for big profits and reinvest the money. 

1st season summer deadline day I had continuous bids for Dolberg and then received an offer I couldn't refuse from Chelsea and ended up selling him for around  £57m upfront rising to around £73m with add ons and I was delighted. Instantly moved Sierhuis up to the first team and he's got his rewards with goals and a new contract.

January window came along and with Ziyech unhappy and majorly underperforming I sold him to PSG for £20m rising to £32.5m with add ons.

Have managed to get De Jong, van De Beek, de Ligt and Kluivert to sign new deals which is great too!

As said the LB position is in real need of strengthening but I've stuck with Dijks for the first season and will be promoting Bakker to the first team in the 2nd season leaving Dijks as back up. 

Currently only lost 1 competitive game all season and that was away to Monaco in Europe losing the game 3-2

Very enjoyable save this year round 😁

3 hours ago, old-school-styla said:

I think the general lack of any tackling/strength in the midfield. I started an Ajax save early on but was put off by this and the lack of staff. I'll be watching this thread carefully though

2 hours ago, QuassoRP said:

Always loved an Ajax save on FM and this year is no different. My aim is to develop the players that come up through the youth systems, get them into the first team or sell on for big profits and reinvest the money. 

1st season summer deadline day I had continuous bids for Dolberg and then received an offer I couldn't refuse from Chelsea and ended up selling him for around  £57m upfront rising to around £73m with add ons and I was delighted. Instantly moved Sierhuis up to the first team and he's got his rewards with goals and a new contract.

January window came along and with Ziyech unhappy and majorly underperforming I sold him to PSG for £20m rising to £32.5m with add ons.

Have managed to get De Jong, van De Beek, de Ligt and Kluivert to sign new deals which is great too!

As said the LB position is in real need of strengthening but I've stuck with Dijks for the first season and will be promoting Bakker to the first team in the 2nd season leaving Dijks as back up. 

Currently only lost 1 competitive game all season and that was away to Monaco in Europe losing the game 3-2

Very enjoyable save this year round 😁

Can I ask what your bid negotiation tactics/technique is?

9 minutes ago, scwiffy said:

I think the general lack of any tackling/strength in the midfield. I started an Ajax save early on but was put off by this and the lack of staff. I'll be watching this thread carefully though

The staff situation can be sorted pretty easily. Give me a PM if you need any guidance.

13 minutes ago, scwiffy said:

For the first season it's not an issue. You will be dominating most games in the Eredivisie with the ball. 

4 hours ago, scwiffy said:

Can I ask what your bid negotiation tactics/technique is?

I always have a figure in my head for how much I want to sell players for when a bid comes in and I always negotiate to that price either as a fee or a fee and instalments. I usually manage to get a lot more money from instalments than I set out to get. 

I also add in the percentage of next sale clause and ask for no less than 35% 

2 minutes ago, QuassoRP said:

I always have a figure in my head for how much I want to sell players for when a bid comes in and I always negotiate to that price either as a fee or a fee and instalments. I usually manage to get a lot more money from instalments than I set out to get. 

I also add in the percentage of next sale clause and ask for no less than 35% 

Hmm, you seem to do better than me. But i tend to favour upfront cash in order to facilitate better replacements. I've got 23-25mil for my 10mil-ish players at Villarreal, usually with 20% profit clause. Not sure if thats good or not. Is there any reward in rejecting first offer outright (AI seems to offer player valuation first), I've had bad experiences in the past with rejecting offers from big clubs/not letting player go

Edited by scwiffy

26 minutes ago, scwiffy said:

Hmm, you seem to do better than me. But i tend to favour upfront cash in order to facilitate better replacements. I've got 23-25mil for my 10mil-ish players at Villarreal, usually with 20% profit clause. Not sure if thats good or not. Is there any reward in rejecting first offer outright (AI seems to offer player valuation first), I've had bad experiences in the past with rejecting offers from big clubs/not letting player go

I've never accepted a first bid unless it's someone i really want rid of. It took me 8 negotiations to get what I wanted for Dolberg.

Any ideas on who to hire as Assistant Manager and Head of Youth Development?

I signed Rudy Heylen as my asistant and Huw Jennings as HoYD. 

2 hours ago, hm86 said:

I signed Rudy Heylen as my asistant and Huw Jennings as HoYD. 

I would second Huw Jennings. he's brought through some dynamite regens for me. 

I signed Jennings... Thanks for the tip. Heylen isn't in my game, so I went with someone else. 

19 hours ago, Rooks said:

Kasper Dolberg

6ihpr7ru1.06.06.png

Matthijs de Ligt

053nncuzy4751.06.18.png

That is cheap though... not expensive contracts at all :) 

7 hours ago, Gungner said:

Any ideas on who to hire as Assistant Manager and Head of Youth Development?

I got Wim Jonk back in the Head of Youth Development spot. 

6 hours ago, ben carter said:

I would second Huw Jennings. he's brought through some dynamite regens for me. 

Me too, then I stupidly replaced him for someone with better stats and he brought through poor quality regens. 

End of season one - 2017/2018

League Table - Eredivisie

Winning it was my goal from the start with the addition to have max 5 losses. At the winter break we trailed PSV by 1 points, then switching to the classic 4-3-3 worked wonders for me with only 2 losses in the second half of the season (2-0 at Paris against PSG and a 3-1 defeat away against FC Groningen playing a B/C team because we played PSG 2 days layer) I am very happy with the outcome. 

Spoiler

iyf2ypz1c.14.19.png

KNVB Beker

Playing with my rotation squad every game and even some talents I enjoyed our run. Scores in Round 3 and after weren't big, but overall it's another trophy into our step of building a Dynasty. Most results aren't telling the whole story, like the final when NAC had 1 shot on target against 11 from us with 3 clearcut changes. 

Spoiler

2kei89.42.33.png

Europa Cup

Not being in the Champions League frustrated me, but now with the goal to win it we were ready. Having a easy poule, I didn't see much problems. Facing FC Koln first (3-1 win on aggregate) and then Hoffenheim we weren't lucky to draw PSG. We lost because they were better for 45 minutes. Thats Europa for you.. Next year we need to qualify for Champions League and get as far as possible. 

Spoiler

r0r57rr9.47.10.png

7crn0m.47.40.png

1 minute ago, LordKaivalya said:

How good did Neres get in your save? 

Really depends. Had an earlier save than the one I'm playing now with Ajax and he scored like 12 in 9 games. In this save Vaclav Cerny surpassed him in to the first XI. Training him as a Complete Forward, so who knows when Kasper Dolberg leaves or Vaclav Cerny leaves. 

David Neres - After Season One

Spoiler

u18pwfb5p6.02.51.png

08sufecjrccf.03.07.png

De Toekomst has the future. 

Eredivisie Youth Players of the Season

Spoiler

0zrb5nxh20pe.01.29.png

Jupiler League Topscorer 

Spoiler

7myodf.01.51.png

Jupiler League Youth Players of the Season

Spoiler

a0tp07nfrsm5.02.02.png

Edited by Rooks

Started a brand-spanking-new FM18 save a few weeks ago playing with my one and only (football) love Ajax. My short term goal is to win the Champions League with a core team of primarily to only Dutch players, long term to improve the Eredivisie. I plan to buy a lot of great quality youngsters from all over the world, train them well then ship 'em off to strengthen the internal competition. Currently in March 2019 so not much progress, but I try to bring in as many quality newgens as I possibly can and loan my current players sensibly.

The squad cohesion in my save is immense, Veltman and Schöne can convince anyone (including Dolberg and de Ligt) to stay, or talk down anyone who wants improved contacts. Have had luck with aquiring Fellaini, who was a free agent in januari 2019, so he's on ~15k/week. Plan to sell him off in the summer for 10-20M, but he's a decent backup for the DM and MC positions.

I did grant Dolberg and de Ligt new contracts, I have them on 50k and 23k respectively. Don't mind the 50k as I have a huge wage (and transfer) budget, especially since it does scare off competition. Sold Ziyech in january 2018 for, I believe, around 40M, to Chelsea. Sold Siem de Jong, Younes and Sinkgraven for an amount totalling ~13M. Have only splashed the cash on a lot of newgens, because in my opinion most of the current Ajax youth will never be good enough for a place in the first team.  

So far, very fun. My squad is progressing well, although some key positions do need strengthening. Currently playing with Orejuela and Tagliafico on the back positions. Tagliafico is doing God's work, but I feel that Orejuela has not really progressed much, even though his crossing has been pretty okay. I might bring in a good right back, or pick up a good free agent in the summer. 

After a few years without playing much FM, FM18 has kind of rekindled the love for the game a bit. I think it's a very good iteration so far!

1 hour ago, Chef Raekwon said:

Started a brand-spanking-new FM18 save a few weeks ago playing with my one and only (football) love Ajax. My short term goal is to win the Champions League with a core team of primarily to only Dutch players, long term to improve the Eredivisie. I plan to buy a lot of great quality youngsters from all over the world, train them well then ship 'em off to strengthen the internal competition. Currently in March 2019 so not much progress, but I try to bring in as many quality newgens as I possibly can and loan my current players sensibly.

The squad cohesion in my save is immense, Veltman and Schöne can convince anyone (including Dolberg and de Ligt) to stay, or talk down anyone who wants improved contacts. Have had luck with aquiring Fellaini, who was a free agent in januari 2019, so he's on ~15k/week. Plan to sell him off in the summer for 10-20M, but he's a decent backup for the DM and MC positions.

I did grant Dolberg and de Ligt new contracts, I have them on 50k and 23k respectively. Don't mind the 50k as I have a huge wage (and transfer) budget, especially since it does scare off competition. Sold Ziyech in january 2018 for, I believe, around 40M, to Chelsea. Sold Siem de Jong, Younes and Sinkgraven for an amount totalling ~13M. Have only splashed the cash on a lot of newgens, because in my opinion most of the current Ajax youth will never be good enough for a place in the first team.  

So far, very fun. My squad is progressing well, although some key positions do need strengthening. Currently playing with Orejuela and Tagliafico on the back positions. Tagliafico is doing God's work, but I feel that Orejuela has not really progressed much, even though his crossing has been pretty okay. I might bring in a good right back, or pick up a good free agent in the summer. 

After a few years without playing much FM, FM18 has kind of rekindled the love for the game a bit. I think it's a very good iteration so far!

Good to hear! Love how you are keeping Dolberg and de Ligt. I have a bonkers of a summer before the 2018/2019 season! Can tell that Dolberg is gone for over €50 million (€70 million + with add ons and a 45% (!) sell on clause on the whole transfer sum). 

I've not long started season 2021/22, I still have Dolberg, de Ligt, Veltman, van de Beek, Eting and Sierhuis from the original squad. In all 4 seasons up to now I've been in the CL final, losing 2-1 to Man City first year and then PSG 4-0 (I think) in 2nd season. I've won it against Man Utd in last two seasons 3-2 and 2-1. 

Its the longest save I've ever had due to not cheating for the first time in years. My tactic is 5-2-3 which is seen as an exploit by some. 

My original plan was to sign only Dutch regens but I deviated from that plan somewhat but still enjoying it. 

I think when the new update is released I will start again but try to stick to Dutch youth only, or only signing players at max 18. 

I just bought Davy Klaassen back because Everton got relegated and snapped up Origi for €9,5 million. Wasn't planning on getting a striker, because Kaj Sierhuis was ready for the first team - but this was an opportunity I couldn't refuse so Kaj is up for the cup matches and matches around important Champions League matches in the Eredivisie. 

On 25/01/2018 at 22:09, Rooks said:

I just bought Davy Klaassen back because Everton got relegated and snapped up Origi for €9,5 million. Wasn't planning on getting a striker, because Kaj Sierhuis was ready for the first team - but this was an opportunity I couldn't refuse so Kaj is up for the cup matches and matches around important Champions League matches in the Eredivisie. 

I bought him back at well, think I paid £9m. I play him in centre mid though. Managed to get Blind back from Man Utd too in the 2nd or 3rd season. 

Edited by hm86

Playing an Ajax save just to try a possession based game for a change, not sure how faithfully this replicates the old Ajax formation but it's been good fun - and given a CL win second season.

20180206211836_1.jpg

20180206211813_1.jpg

I'm contemplating starting a new Ajax save once the latest DB is released despite being in my 5th season with them in my current save.

I sort of feel like I've ruined the save by buying in players like Cutrone, Isak etc.

My initial plan was to only buy ex Ajax players and develop youth, which I'd like to do in the new save.

33 minutes ago, hm86 said:

I'm contemplating starting a new Ajax save once the latest DB is released despite being in my 5th season with them in my current save.

I sort of feel like I've ruined the save by buying in players like Cutrone, Isak etc.

My initial plan was to only buy ex Ajax players and develop youth, which I'd like to do in the new save.

I've just started an Ajax save with pretty much this philosophy.

I'm only allowing myself to purchase former players who originally came through the Ajax academy and I'm giving myself 4 transfer windows to ship out current players who did not come through the youth set up.

1 hour ago, davehibb said:

I've just started an Ajax save with pretty much this philosophy.

I'm only allowing myself to purchase former players who originally came through the Ajax academy and I'm giving myself 4 transfer windows to ship out current players who did not come through the youth set up.

That sounds good, I might look to copy that myself. 

As much as I wanted to develop once I started to become successful in Europe etc. I stopped developing the youth as much due to my greed for immediate success.

19 hours ago, Stackalee said:

Playing an Ajax save just to try a possession based game for a change, not sure how faithfully this replicates the old Ajax formation but it's been good fun - and given a CL win second season.

20180206211836_1.jpg

20180206211813_1.jpg

An interesting setup you have there. I would like to try it if you don't mind. Can you share what kind of PI you use? What about OI?

1 minute ago, nampuk said:

An interesting setup you have there. I would like to try it if you don't mind. Can you share what kind of PI you use? What about OI?

Sure, it's basically just everybody set to shorter passing (except AM, who has more direct) and less shooting (except striker), and all attacking players set up to mark tighter/tackle harder/close down often. DLP is set to close down much less. Goalkeeper distributes to centre back. Striker is set to roaming from position.

No OI's used so far at all.

I would also like to warn you that it is by no means a great formation, it ships a lot of goals (although also scores a lot to be fair, 37 conceded and 114 scored league season 1). I'm sure a lot could be done to improve it - I just wanted to make something possession based that felt a bit "Ajaxey" to me.

Always start an Ajax save when I get bored of FM. Downloaded a post-Jan window data update and am currently in pre-season of 18/19. Unlike FM17 where it was anything goes, I am trying to keep it somewhat 'realistic' this time around. For me that means buying young, developing academy players, buying players from certain nationalities/regions more than others (for example, I would sign a slightly inferior Scandinavian player over the superior English or Italian option) and letting my better players leave to the bigger overseas teams. I still occasionally break my own rules though.

Won all the domestic honours 1st season and reached QFs of Champions League but got dumped out by the eventual winners Man Utd. Transfer wise, I like to hoard youth no matter who I manage so naturally I signed a lot of promising youngsters, mainly from Denmark/Norway (T. Svendsen, Hvidt, Heintz, Tue, Solbakken). The major out was a January transfer for Ziyech (to Arsenal for £23.5m upfront). No huge names were brought in, biggest fee paid was £7m for Douglas from Fluminense. 

In late July of the 18/19 pre-season but already a huge upheaval in the playing squad. Dolberg went off to Man City for £95m, van de Beek went to Chelsea for £83m while Kluivert went to RB Leipzig for £23m rising to £36m. The Dolberg/van de Beek deals were too good to turn down for players that wanted to go. Kluivert's contract was up at season's end and he wasn't going to renew with all the big teams interested but ideally I wished he stuck around. Neres, Veltman and de Ligt all want out but I have resisted so far (the money hasn't been right). In addition to some bargain hunting to fill in some gaps in the 1st team (Donsah, Luka Zahovic, Jakob Johansson, Grillo), I brought back Viktor Fischer! I always liked him when he was playing for Ajax and at 24y there is enough time to revive his career.

Have a ridiculous amount of money just sitting there and I am in the midst of doing something uncharacteristic: spending £22.5m on a PSV player (Jorrit Hendrix). Ticks a lot of boxes for me: Dutch, good age (23yo), versatile. PSG are interested but haven't bid so hopefully it goes through.

Academy wise: de Ligt and Sierhuis are going to be 1st choice this season. Eiting, Cerny and F. de Jong will be rotation options. I gave Bakboord and Flemming a few starts once the league was won 1st season and they will get some game time again this season. Have not loaned out or sold guys like Ekkelenkamp, Jensen, Kuhn, Pasquali, Kemper, Dest...I think they can make the grade as squad players at least.

@Evanescent That looks like some real money came in. I had the same, only with Dolberg. Brought back Daley Blind (end of contract) and Davy Klaassen as Everton got relegated. Couldn't resist buying Origi for 7,5 million (transfer listed). Going to play him for one year with Kaj Sierhuis as a back up. Hopefully Origi will be sold with high profit so Kaj can take over in the third year. Players like Che Nunnely got a first team spot with Kluivert as Neres and Younes were really disappointing in the first season. 

2nd season in the books. Less successful than the 1st, won the league with ease but lost on pens in the cup semi-final vs PSV. Most disappointingly though, lost 1st Knockout Rd of Champions League 2-1 on agg to Benfica.

I was in less of a rush to sell my best players due to the money from Dolberg and van de Beek, so I tried out the tip from someone earlier in this thread of getting Veltman to talk players into staying. It worked exceptionally well with Sierhuis, Onana, De Ligt and Neres (twice). If I got £80m+ offers I would still sell but the bids weren't at that level.

Having said that, there were still a lot of sales. The major outs were guys like Wober, Orejuela, Frenkie de Jong and Tagliafico, who all left for £15m-20m. Some of the buys included Van Ginkel, Tete, Hojbjerg and Krovinovic, all from the transfer list.

Currently in early July of 19/20 season and have sold Victor Jensen to Newcastle for £29.5m as it's good money and it helps facilitate the promotion of Kuhn to the senior squad. I can't see myself spending big money this season unless I sell a CM to bring back Klaassen or Bazoer. Will keep an eye out on bringing in bargains from the transfer list but they have to be somewhat 'realistic' buys.

Cerny, Sierhuis, Eiting, de Ligt, Kuhn, Ekkelenkamp, Schuurs all part of 1st team squad at the moment. I love Ekkelenkamp a lot, sold a RWB and a CM just so he can get some additional game time this season. Pasquali, Kemper and Dest still have a shot of making it, maybe one season away. Got great money for Jensen and ok money for Bakker, Cassierra and Lang. Still have a bunch of guys in Jong/on loan that if I was to be honest, should be sold because they will be good players but not quite 1st team level: Nunnely, Johnsen, Schon, Sidoel, Bakboord, Flemming included. I have been unlucky with PA, but I am still disappointed that guys like Bakboord, Bakker and Zeefuik didn't make the grade like they did in my FM17 save. Then again, guys like Cerny, Kluivert and Ekkelenkamp have made it this time around.

Anyone recommend a tactic to use with Ajax. Planning a new save with the latest update. I had been using the 3-4-3 tactics but they are unrealistic in that I can win CL in the first season.

Would like a tactic close to what Ajax play in real life or another decent tactic that isn't scoring 100+ goals a season, with average players.

Any tips appreciated.

7 hours ago, hm86 said:

Anyone recommend a tactic to use with Ajax. Planning a new save with the latest update. I had been using the 3-4-3 tactics but they are unrealistic in that I can win CL in the first season.

Would like a tactic close to what Ajax play in real life or another decent tactic that isn't scoring 100+ goals a season, with average players.

Any tips appreciated.

Which 3-4-3 are you using?? Everything similar that I have tried was a disaster defensively and in attack was just ok!!!

20 minutes ago, Saras-13-Bodiroga said:

Which 3-4-3 are you using?? Everything similar that I have tried was a disaster defensively and in attack was just ok!!!

20 minutes ago, Saras-13-Bodiroga said:

3-4-3 or 5-2-3 the one with the most success was Knaps, check out his on these forums. The other one which scored a lot but conceded higher than I'd liked was the Unstoppable on FMScout. Give me a shout if you need any details.  

Sorry, but exploit tactics. Unless they were tested with Ajax and your squad, and in the current version of the ME, in a real-FM scenario (and in case you were wondering, they weren't) you can't expect to reproduce what those tactics promise.

If you run a quick search on the forums you'll find multiple threads on Ajax, and their legacy, and their style of football. But you could start with a 433, the middle midfielder dropped to DM, the striker set to drop deep and link play, and a variety of attacking and supporting roles out wide.I haven't managed Ajax on FM18, but I have stolen most of their best players in various saves, so I'm pretty sure you can make a successful save with that squad and a decent tactic.