Klopp - Fluid or Structured

How does Klopps system translate into the match engine. 

Do they play fluid as the description suggests? Everyone getting involved.

Do they play structured as the description suggests? Each player adhering to a specific role.

Would structured allow the more flair players to shine? For example if Firminho was Tq, Salah a Rmd, Mane an IF and Cout as a AP from CM, if i add3d some workmanlike roles around them, (DLP/d and BWM) would structured help them to shine?

Tq

IF/s                       Rmd/a

BWM/s DLP/d AP/a

Wb/a     CB   CB    FB/s

Attacking/Structured(Fluid)

Much higher line

Close down much more 

Retain possession 

It's the same with Pep. I always read players say he has incredible attention to detail and every player knows his job. That sound's highly structured to me. But every tactic I see replicate City is very fluid.

With Klopp, I think it is important to remember that his system was built to make the best of average players. Highlight their strengths and hide their weakness. Obviously at Dortmund and now Liverpool he had/has fantastic players, but the system remains similiar. Every players is tasked with a specific job and the playmakers within the team are emphasized, although I think Klopp's perfect side doesn't include one. For this reason I would go with Structured.

By the way, I wouldn't class Firmino as a Trequartista. He doesn't really attracts the ball and defensively he is often looking to close down the opposition. I'd go with CF/s, F9 or DLF/s. Probably the first. And be careful with the high-line, Attacking mentality comes with a high-line by default, further pushing it up may congest the space for the front three.

I do get congestion up front. The problem is if I don't push up it leaves space for the opp forward to collect the ball and lay it off. I'm trying to smother the opp and leave no out ball but to go long over the top. 

Palace put 4 past me when I experimented with a lower block. Ball to Benteke who brings it down. He passes to Zaha who runs down wing and crosses for Benteke. Happened twice down one wing and once down the other. I analysed it for ages and I just don't know how to stop it. It is the reason I opted for a BWM to try to close down the pass to Benteke. The role is weird. He seems to ignore the closest man when he has the ball but goes hell for leather to close down the flanks.

First of all, had troubles against Palace myself, they robbed me of the championship last season :mad:

It is possible to play on a low/medium block and be defensively solid, that's for sure. Just need to find a right balance.

I think that in an attacking system that encourage heavy pressing, the first thing I'll do is to replace the BWM with a CM/s or something. It's such an over the top, aggressive role even in tamer settings, so on your already high-risk plan I would feel very uncomfortable with. Did he play on the same side as Zaha? Who did you play in that role?

The way I see it (and I might be wrong), both Zaha and Townsend are much quicker than Can and got decent enough technical skills to bypass him. They will have space for a deep cross, since you are defending deep and Can is absent from the middle (due to closing down the winger). It would be more effective for him to remain deeper and deny space for a cross. Both Zaha and Townsend strike me as players who struggle when there is no space ahead of them.

When I think about closing down a specific player (even though I rarely do it), I think about someone like De Bruyne. He is not very quick, strong or agile (ingame at least) but you really don't want him to have the ball at his feet.

I want the BWM to close down the Palace central midfielder who receives the ball and has an age to pick his ball over the top or out wide. My midfield just stand and watch as the Palace midfielder takes his time. I went for a BWM to reduce that time. It doesn't work.

The biggest frustration I have is my LB. He sits in acres of space whilst my midfield just ignore him. When they eventually pass to him he's offside. Same applies to Salah.

The attacking mentality just ruins any build up play. Players just run straight at 3 to 4 defenders with the ball. When I play on standard everyone just stands about dithering.

I am my own worst enemy though. I chop and change my roles too much.

On 1/21/2018 at 09:10, anorthernboy said:

How does Klopps system translate into the match engine. 

Do they play fluid as the description suggests? Everyone getting involved.

Do they play structured as the description suggests? Each player adhering to a specific role.

Would structured allow the more flair players to shine? For example if Firminho was Tq, Salah a Rmd, Mane an IF and Cout as a AP from CM, if i add3d some workmanlike roles around them, (DLP/d and BWM) would structured help them to shine?

Tq

IF/s                       Rmd/a

BWM/s DLP/d AP/a

Wb/a     CB   CB    FB/s

Attacking/Structured(Fluid)

Much higher line

Close down much more 

Retain possession 

It's the same with Pep. I always read players say he has incredible attention to detail and every player knows his job. That sound's highly structured to me. But every tactic I see replicate City is very fluid.

Pep is structured while Klopp is fluid.

Well I am quite happy with how season 2 has started. Plenty if goals but I've not kept too many clean sheets.

Attacking/Flexible

Much higher

Close down much more

Prevent GK short did

Play out of defence 

CF/A

IF/A                                   W/S

CM/S    AP/S

HB

WB/S    CB           CB        WB/A

SK/S

I have a 2nd tactic which is just reversed with the IF/A on the right. My main gripe is getting the full backs in around the back. Zero assists so far in 15 games.

I'm thinking of adding the TI roam from positions or adding it as a PI to the wide players.

I'm also contemating both Web's on support.

Getting somewhere close now. The amount of chances we create from turning the ball over high up the pitch is a joy to watch.

I love playing around with tactics. Beat City 4-1 away. 

CF/S

IF/A             AM/S

MEZZ/A

SV/S  ANC

WB/S      CB       CB        WB/A

SK/S

I tried to replicate Klopp in FM17 and had quite a lot of success. Of course it was rather hard to get the gegenpress to work since we don't have transitional instructions available.

In FM18 I had a go around the beta and failed, but gave it another recently. 

CF/A
AP/S        W/A
   BWM    CM/A
       REG
WB/A DC/D BPD/D FB/S
       SK/D

The left wing back is instructed to play wider, The AP on the left are told to sit narrower and dribble more. The CM/A have get further forward and finally the GK are told to roll it out and distribute quickly. I chose Control and Fluid. Team instructions are Play out of defense, Work ball into box, Play wider, Push higher up, Close down more and Be more expressive.

The first season I won the league, but lost the CL final on pens to Juventus. Also got to the semis in both national cups. Rotated the side heavily, but only brought in one defender and a midfielder. Firmino, Couthino, Sala and Mane were supposed to rotate the 3 front spots, but Ox came in with a shout so I sold Mane to Real for £66M. Ox ended with 22 goals as a winger in 36 games. The CM/A will also score loads of goals. I brought in Arthur and he scored 21 goals. 

The only issue is that some times teams manage to build a wall in defense. Then I often drop deeper and try to space it out. Worked most of the time, but every once in a while we fail to score.

Into the next season I'm undefeated by the end of November and have won all but two games. No idea if this works for others, but it feels and looks like Klopps tactics.

Archived