Setting up friendlies against weaker opposition.

Hi just a quick question... I’ve noticed a lot of advice about pre season is to set up friendlies against weaker opposition to boost moral. My question is, how would you know how good or bad your tactic is if your pre season is against low league clubs? 

Good question. But, how would you know how good or bad your tactic is if your pre-season is against better clubs?

The problem is that during pre-season you can't really judge the tactic because the players (yours and theirs) aren't fully fit, fully committed, or fully fluid in the tactic, so it's a trade-off - easy games for a morale boost, or games against bigger teams for financial boost (if you're lower-league). But whoever you play against, judging your tactic on pre-season performances isn't a good idea.

5 minutes ago, Grimboslice said:

Would you say it’s better to analyse your tactic properly after a couple of league games? 

Well, the mighty Cleon usually suggests analysing after three games and who am I to argue? But to be honest, I'm not that good at proper analysis so it's an on-going process and I'm usually still making minor changes halfway through the season.

Well I care about friendlies regardless of the level of competition. While I have matches against minnows, I sometimes have matches against good competition. Regardless of the level of competition I can usually make simple assessments of my systems.

During preseason I will try whatever system I plan on using and observe how we move the ball up. I am looking for signs of failure.  Its also a chance for me to try different combinations of players.

I just had a preseason with AC Milan who hammered Juventus and Liverpool. Our pre season link up play had a big part in me adjusting our system when the season started. 

By the time I’ve played my third game I have decided what I want to do tactically, but if it’s a team with little change like my Ajax side, pre season is always “smashing” time cos I don’t make changes to my style of play.

Archived