How many minutes does a young player have to play for it to "count"?

I'm trying to bring some youth players through in my AC Milan save and i'd like to know how much of a match does a player have to play for it to count as first team match experience?  Also, does the player have to actually start the match or does bringing him on as a sub count (assuming he plays enough minutes).  Thanks

39 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

It's been 15 mins (to get a match rating) for a number of years. It seems to have changed to 20 mins and the question has been raised about whether this is intentional or not.

Also note that they can get a rating if they score regardless of when they come on.

8cc186e97d8b47cc506ce51bfda0fcc7.png

Not sure about assists..

21 hours ago, cbcruz said:

Also note that they can get a rating if they score regardless of when they come on.

8cc186e97d8b47cc506ce51bfda0fcc7.png

Not sure about assists..

I have always wondered about this. When a player scores their rating always goes up.

In real life you could be having a stinker and the ball come off your arse and go into the opposition's goal.

You could still carry on having a stinker for the rest of the game. Would you really get a 7 or 8 out of ten in such an instance ? I doubt it. 

• SI Staff

I looked into this after reading this thread and was surprised it has changed, it turns out it was a mistake - it had been changed to 22 mins rather than 15. For the 18.3 patch we will change it back to 15 minutes - sorry about the confusion.

1 hour ago, EdL said:

I looked into this after reading this thread and was surprised it has changed, it turns out it was a mistake - it had been changed to 22 mins rather than 15. For the 18.3 patch we will change it back to 15 minutes - sorry about the confusion.

Awesome, cheers @EdL

Yeah I thought it was around 25 minutes and have been trying to make subs on 55, 60 and 65 to make sure they all get a rating. If they're not on long enough to gain a rating, does that mean they don't gain any notable experience (for either development or happiness)?

1 hour ago, Cal585 said:

Yeah I thought it was around 25 minutes and have been trying to make subs on 55, 60 and 65 to make sure they all get a rating. If they're not on long enough to gain a rating, does that mean they don't gain any notable experience (for either development or happiness)?

They need to have a rating for it to count toward development. The OP alluded to this too.

On 1/19/2018 at 17:15, EdL said:

Christ. All those FM hours wasted subbing players on at the 74 minute mark.

Tragic

Here's an update - you're all wrong (in terms of player development) :D.

How long does a player need to be on the pitch in order for the minutes to count towards player development?  The answer is - there is no minimum.  Every minute counts for development purposes, so you haven't been wasting your time after all @Per Annum.  There is a bonus if a player plays more than 45 minutes, but other than that you're golden. 

@Cal585

@HUNT3R

Just now, Triffid said:

That thread is 10 years old! All of the advice that I have read has been that the player needs a rating to develop so which is right?

If you look, you'll see the reply that states this to be the case is 23 hours old and from SI.

On 1/18/2018 at 10:49, ^Goose^ said:

how much of a match does a player have to play for it to count as first team match experience?

Not a technical answers, but I feel that real development happens when you start affording players an entire half, game starts, and full games. Until then development is very slow and players can't find their feet on the pitch.

So for me: how much of a match does a player have to play
About 45 mins, followed by another 45 in the next 3 games, followed by a start in the next 3 games, followed by an entire couple of games in the next 4-5 games. Any less and you are not really developing youth.

Archived