Sports Interactive Community
Feliks

[FM18] The English County Championship

Image result for english county championship logo

The premise of this story is simple. To document a fictional competition in which each of the English counties fields a representative side in a two-division English County Championship. I won't bother trying to explain any sort of backstory, I'd rather get straight into it.

Basically, the way it works is that 36 historical counties (I've omitted Rutland, Huntingdonshire and Westmorland due to low population) will each field 8 sides in 8 tiers, with players either being born in that county or, if they were born overseas, raised/trained in the county for at least 3 years before the age of 18 (ie Gareth Bale in Hampshire or Jonny Evans in Lancashire). The 7 tiers I mentioned are Senior, Reserve, Amateur, Over-35, Under-23, Under-21, Under-19 and Under-17. To make things easier for myself, I classified 'Amateur' as anyone at a club with a value of £0, meaning some players with appearance fees may be in the Amateur division. However, it isn't a huge deal. I'm slowly working my way through the sides at the moment, going from Z-A in terms of Place of Birth, and I'm currently at Oxford. I rank players based on current ability, and count 23 year olds as Under-23, 21 as Under-21, 35 as Over-35 etc.

In terms of the coverage, I'll primarily be focusing on the senior squads but will give small updates on every single division. I'll probably be doing this all manually (ie using versus competition and the real-time editor) but it's definitely the kind of thing I love. For anyone wondering, based on previous collations of teams, I expect a top four to consist of Middlesex, Lancashire, Yorkshire and Essex.

If you'd like to know which county your favourite player or any player will be representing, let me know.

This is a really cool idea. How do you go about simulating the matches? I don't quite understand the "versus competition".

Just now, Timetxu said:

This is a really cool idea. How do you go about simulating the matches? I don't quite understand the "versus competition".

I haven't really tested it yet, but in Football Manager, you can do online games with teams you've 'exported for versus competition'. It's an option with any team in the game, even if you aren't managing them. So I'll use the official Editor to create the clubs, move the desired players into them using the real-time editor, and then export those teams for games.

Just now, Feliks said:

I haven't really tested it yet, but in Football Manager, you can do online games with teams you've 'exported for versus competition'. It's an option with any team in the game, even if you aren't managing them. So I'll use the official Editor to create the clubs, move the desired players into them using the real-time editor, and then export those teams for games.

This sounds interesting. I do a lot of simulating and create my own tournaments, but I never knew this. I've always just put two teams against eachother by a friendly, which leads to problems a lot of the time (with differing reputation and travel restrictions).

1 minute ago, Timetxu said:

This sounds interesting. I do a lot of simulating and create my own tournaments, but I never knew this. I've always just put two teams against eachother by a friendly, which leads to problems a lot of the time (with differing reputation and travel restrictions).

It'll take a long time, and I'll have to do things like injuries and suspensions manually, but I really love simulation and micro-management.

I love it when people do stuff like this. Can't wait to see how this ends up! (although more 'regular' competitions per county would've been cool, probably a bit too much for your computer to handle though)

1 minute ago, Minuy600 said:

I love it when people do stuff like this. Can't wait to see how this ends up! (although more 'regular' competitions per county would've been cool, probably a bit too much for your computer to handle though)

It's all going to be doing one game at a time. I'll export every team, and do each game individually, so the computer should be fine. :)

3 minutes ago, Minuy600 said:

Alright. Won't that take ages to do though?

Yeah probably. Heck, might even do it as a day-by-day thing as if it's a whole season. :p

I'd be interested to see it as a news feed or something, almost like the social media thing on FM itself, with like the most suprising match being reported more in detail and the others being done in like one screenshot. Love me a fictional paper, y'know.

2 minutes ago, Minuy600 said:

I'd be interested to see it as a news feed or something, almost like the social media thing on FM itself, with like the most suprising match being reported more in detail and the others being done in like one screenshot. Love me a fictional paper, y'know.

You have no idea how much that appeals to me haha. Maybe I'll turn this thread into something like that once it gets off and running. Maybe even start up a Facebook or Twitter page if this gets enough traction and views.

I'd follow the **** out of that. Better have some distraction ready.

EDIT: This is now a hot topic thanks to us 2 talking :rolleyes:

Edited by Minuy600