[FM18] Using 2 x Carrilero

Hello,

My question: is it tactically sound to be using 2 x Carrilero next to each other in a two-man Diamond midfield? I'm playing around with some tactical ideas in my head, and this one I need a little help from more experienced FM players. If it helps, the tactic I'm toying around with is a narrow-strikerless 4-1-2-3, with a DM/Su behind the midfield two.

Here's the in-game description of the role, and I'm worried I'm taking the part in bold a little too literally.

"The Carrilero – or “Shuttler” – is a supporting role more often than not utilised as part of a midfield three, or as two central midfielders in a diamond midfield. It is the job of these shuttlers to cover lateral areas of the pitch and link the defensive midfield area with the attacking midfield area. This is what separates the Carrileros from a Box-To-Box Midfielder, as they are not expected to shuttle between boxes, but merely between lines of the midfield. The role is that of a runner but also a water carrier for the team, should the team need it."

I've used the search function to try find an answer to my question, but to no avail.

22 minutes ago, MikeCollins said:

My question: is it tactically sound to be using 2 x Carrilero next to each other in a two-man Diamond midfield?

Yes.

As ever, balance things with the rest of your set up but yes you can absolutely use 2 x Carrileros in a diamond.

Beginner here, hijacking the thread.  I understand 2x carillero if you have 2 strikers (4 - Diamond - 2), but if you have an AMR & AML, isn't two carilleros and the AMR&L duplicating some of the same responsibilities?

On 2018-01-18 at 03:19, Jean0987654321 said:

If you need any help on such a system, Rasho got plenty of vids on his YT channel (BustTheNet). He also uses a system with two Carrileros and have some success with it..

Thanks for this tip! The videos are very detailed and insightful for an amateur like me. It's a lot of information to take in and absorb, which is only a good thing.

On 2018-01-19 at 18:26, LordKaivalya said:

Wouldn't it be completely bereft of creativity? If I understand the description, the Carillero is a lateral runner right? With a DM behind is it too defensive?

This is what I have been experiencing (or, what I think is happening) during my testing. I've recently kind of abandoned the idea for the time being, due to squad changes, and lack of any decent Carrilero's. I'll still post what I came up with eventually and maybe give it a full test in a new save.

I am new to football, I haven't exactly seen many examples of Carrilero's in real life, but what i read about Ramires at Benfica he sounds like a BWM on support? Is a Carrilero much different from a BWM or is it more like a lateral B2B? Either way I dont quite understand why you would get such a limited role in a system?

4 hours ago, LordKaivalya said:

I am new to football, I haven't exactly seen many examples of Carrilero's in real life, but what i read about Ramires at Benfica he sounds like a BWM on support? Is a Carrilero much different from a BWM or is it more like a lateral B2B? Either way I dont quite understand why you would get such a limited role in a system?

Carrilero is a South American term for "shuttler", the water carrier type player whose responsibility it is to cover wide areas in front of their full backs. Traditionally Argentinian teams were very fond of the midfield diamond, where three hard working midfielders (2 Carrileros, 1 defensive midfielder) would allow the attacking midfielder in front of them (the "enganche") the freedom to create chances for the strikers. Since the enganche did not defend, three players had to take the same responsibility as four players would have in a conventional 4-4-2, which meant that the Carrileros had to cover much more space laterally.

Archived