FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

Just started the season, beat Portsmouth 2-0 to win the Charity Shield and took down Chelsea 1-0 in the first game of the Premiership. About to face Wigan. Here is who I bought/sold. Bear in mind, that I used the wage increase trick to get my transfer funds to £59m

Bought:

Srna - £15m

Marcelo - £4.4m

Diarra - £4.5m

Fernandez - £8.5m

Rossi - £9.25m

(Put in a £17m bid for Frey, hopefully I'll get him)

Sold:

Manucho - £4m (West Brom)

Kusczcak - £3.3m (Tottenham)

Fletcher - £7.5m (Man City)

Diarra and Fernandez are doing well so far, as is Rossi. Srna and Marcelo are settling still, but are showing some promise.

Also followed the guide for the staff which has worked out well, however I might demote Phelan and sign a new Assistant Manager, any suggestions?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sold

fletcher to spurs for £9mil

Bought

Marcelo - £4.4mil

Marcos Senna - £8.1mil - has been class for me. scores plenty of free kicks and has the highest average rating in my squad

Antonio Valencia - £7.5mil - was doing a very good job of standing in for Ronaldo until he broke his leg!!

I must say i am now loving the match engine. I wasnt sure at first but now i think it's much better than previous engines.

The only bad points so far are that a few of the players stats are, imo, underated and that i cant seem to get Berbatov playing well.

The only bad points so far are that a few of the players stats are, imo, underated and that i cant seem to get Berbatov playing well.
Yeah, I think that as well. Not wrong in any areas, just that Nick is very strict with the stats.
Haha, I actually managed to sign Karim Benzema in the demo, but doesn't go along team well.
How much?

In Belletti RB/WBR- Chelsea £3.5

In Leo CB - Gremio £7.5M

Out Brown - Tottenham £7.25

Also make sure you set your past experience otherwise default means players dont play well at first.

You don't need Belletti and you don't need another DC as Evans is more than good enough. Brown is quality, probably my best defender so far this season, so you definitely shouldn't sell him.

What did you set your past experience as?

Leo is great from the start, and is a snip for that tbh, never liked Brown so even if he was worth £20 mil I would still sell him. Belletti can cover MR as well, and good for playin 5-3-2 so widens my options.

Evans is good but not good enough and can rotate freely with 3 top quality CBs and for 5-3-2 have a decent sub.

Started my game again sort of cheated by asking for a bigger transfer budget and more wages then moving the wages into the budget leaving me with £60 Million.

Ins

Klass yan Huntelaar - 14M

Miguel Veloso - 12M

Alexis Sanchez - 8M +50%

Lassana Diarra - 4.9M

David Luiz - 9M

Maicon - 5M + 25.5 after 40 Games (cheated again)

Lautaro Acosta - loan.

Enyeama - 80K

Out

Fletcher - 10M

Manucho - 3.5 M

P.I.G - 3.9M

Team

Gk - VDS / Enyeama / Foster (inj)

RB - Maicon / Nev / Hargreaves (inj)

LB - Evra / O'Shea

CB - Ferdinand / David Luiz / Evans

CB - Vidic / Brown / Evans

RM - Ronaldo (inj) / Sanchez /Giggs

LM - Nani / Lautaro Acosta / Giggs

CM (d) - Veloso / Diarra / Hargreaves

CM (a) - Carrick / Anderson / Scholes

ST - Berbatov / Huntelaar

ST - Rooney (inj) / Tevez / Sanchez

I believe i have a strong enough squad to win evrything as i walked through the friendlies and beat portsmouth 1-0 with Rooney, Berbatov and Nani goin off injured early on.

Obviously i wont be continuing with this game once the real game comes out as i feel i have cheated this is just a test game really but i will still keep you updated Chelsea next when i get back to it.

Sold

fletcher to spurs for £9mil

Bought

Marcelo - £4.4mil

Marcos Senna - £8.1mil - has been class for me. scores plenty of free kicks and has the highest average rating in my squad

Antonio Valencia - £7.5mil - was doing a very good job of standing in for Ronaldo until he broke his leg!!

I must say i am now loving the match engine. I wasnt sure at first but now i think it's much better than previous engines.

what did the scouts say about antonio valencia. my scouts all say that he is decent.

my board told me to get stuffed when I asked for more wages or transfer budget

got emerson on loan from milan, since I needed backup and he was the only loan player my ass man could find (the lazy way) and bought matias fernandez (sp?) as a giggs backup, since ronaldo, park were injured and nani missed 3 games in the beginning due to being suspended

struggling with a classic 442 and a diamond 442 for now, but it makes great joy to analyse ass man feedback on tactics and performances to create more effective tactics

what did the scouts say about antonio valencia. my scouts all say that he is decent.

They didnt rate him particularly well tbh. And my coaches say Ronaldo is twice the player he is (although he is twice the player most players are in reality).

I only signed him because its the demo and i quite like him, so thought i'd give him a try. He has played quite well for me but dont think i would buy him normally. There are better alternatives imo.

i asked the board for more money, they told me to get lost before they lost their temper :(

so with whatever adjustments made, i signed diarra for 4.5mil and arshavin for 13mil, and on hindsight, arshavin was not a good choice to provide cover for ronaldo...

manucho is scoring well so far. 2 goals in 2 games and the team top scorer. surprise, surprise

Owen? ;)

He's done pretty well for me. Top scorer although hasn't been fully fit all the time. Rossi's a good choice. I was thinking that perhaps I won't buy Owen on the full version because I want someone who's a bit quicker and more tricky. Did a search for such players and half a dozen came out, Rossi being one of them and another was Vucinic. This was before he put two past Chelsea last night, but he's got quality stats everywhere you want them and can play well on either wing. I'm just worried that his CA isn't quite top level despite his stats, but I'm scouting him.

And I had Vucinic on an FM06 game where he was a great rotational player.

i asked the board for more money, they told me to get lost before they lost their temper :(
What did you set your past experience as? I'm guessing most people cheated to get the massive transfer budget by telling the game that they're ex-internationals.

Lol, rubbish :confused:

However I know your joking, at least I hope you are :D

Valencia however looks not bad on FM09.

Well im half-joking but he does have more assists than anyone else in the prem this year (i think) and will get a lot more

Yeah agree with HoPey, Delap isn't really good enough in the game for Man Utd.

I've had a look at Vucinic and he really looks fb. Has the right attributes in the right areas. Am scouting him now.

Delaps doing all right for me though got a 7.6 on his debut

Yeah, Rossi's probably the best short term bet if he's around £10m. Is that due to a buy-back clause? Surely he can't be worth only that much?

ML: Watson's a bit crap at scouting isn't he? He was the best in FM08 but not too good in 09. I think Jim Lawlor is the best at the start. And is that 4-2-2-2 with two MCs and AMR+L? I'm still using 4-4-2 and it's working like a treat, as proved by that result against Liverpool. I'm using a lovely attacking tactic in most games and it's even working away from home, which didn't happen in FM08.

Hopey: ML is looking at Vucinic because he's my suggestion ;) I'm hoping he's going to be the Jo of FM09. What a legend that guy was! (Not now that's he's joined City of course. Even my mate who supports them doesn't rate him)

Owen? ;)

He's done pretty well for me. Top scorer although hasn't been fully fit all the time. Rossi's a good choice. I was thinking that perhaps I won't buy Owen on the full version because I want someone who's a bit quicker and more tricky. Did a search for such players and half a dozen came out, Rossi being one of them and another was Vucinic. This was before he put two past Chelsea last night, but he's got quality stats everywhere you want them and can play well on either wing. I'm just worried that his CA isn't quite top level despite his stats, but I'm scouting him.

And I had Vucinic on an FM06 game where he was a great rotational player.

What did you set your past experience as? I'm guessing most people cheated to get the massive transfer budget by telling the game that they're ex-internationals.

Experience was set to none. Does being an ex-international makes the board gives you extra cash?

Arshavin was good on FM08. I played him in attack, on the right wing and even in central midfield, all these before he got famous during Euro08. On Fm09, seems he is only good if he plays the supporting striker and i've got rooney in that position already...

The injuries are piling up for me, I just wonder if this is a bug. I've had Berbatov out within 32 minutes of his first game (a friendly!! now it doesn't looks so friendly afterall). Tevez went next, so my front line is down to Rooney and Manucho. Probably need to loan some striker to tide over...

I cannot manage to get any more money. Set experience as ex-int, and utd as my favourite club... obviously! Still only got the measly 12mill or whatever it is for saying i'll win. Brought in Diarra and Marcelo (as many seem to have done) currently training marcelo to be my back-up RW man, altho would be giggs replacement if this was a longterm game. Training diarra and hargo to be sub RBs too, and doing the usual trick of training left siders to play on the right etc.

But why won't they give me more money???

Oh and I loved Vucinic on one of my 07 saves, target man extraordinaire, rotated between him at Iaquinta. Was a bit of a one season wonder though.

Here's my progress so far..

Started the season as a rookie and dared to ask the Board for more money & stuff. The Chairman almost stood up his chair to kick me so, had to let that idea go. But, I took my revenge...

Transfers Out:

Fletcher to Spurs - 8.5M

Carrick to Napoli - 9M

Kuszcack to Roma - 4.2M

Park to Genoa - 6.75M

Manucho to West Brom - 4.2M

Had to sell Fletcher coz he's underrated with awful stats. Carrick left coz he didn't perform at all in pre-season. Sold him on deadline day.

Transfers In :

Diarra - 6.75M

Matias Fernandez - 8.5M

Rossi - 10M

Had to get Matias coz he's a legend in my Man Utd. save in FM 08. He once got 38 goals and 22 assists in a season. Rossi is my top scorer so far with 3 goals. Rooney is injured till october. Tevez is wonderfully crap. Might look to sell him to Inter in January and buy Ballotelli(SP?). Berba has been average. Diarra has been top notch.

So far won Comm. Shield 1-0 by a Matias free-kick in 90th Min. Drew first EPL game at home against Chelsea. Won Super-cup 2-0, Berba & Rossi Scoring. Made a 15M offer for Veloso and a 12.5 M offer for Moutinho at the last day but Transfer Window ended upon continuing. Will bring them in in Jan.

BTW, how can I sign Fazio(DC) from Sevilla? They keep rejecting all sorts of offers??

Nice thread.

Ive made one signing so far which was Marcelo who was transfer listed by Real Madrid. Im in November but the injury bug has stricken! I am second and have only let in one goal after 10 matches howeve Arsenal again are over rated as usual but im glad they toned down Adebayor's stats.

Had to sell Fletcher coz he's underrated with awful stats. Carrick left coz he didn't perform at all in pre-season. Sold him on deadline day.

Fletcher has been very good for me when i have had injuries and is now worth 10M and also Dimitar Berbatov has been sensational for me with 9 goals and 5 assists in 10 league games

Archived