Sports Interactive Community

Any idea how to make the best out of him? Playing him as an advanced playmer AMC, with high creative freedom. He contribute just nothing. My team doing great, top of the PL mainly because Alexis. Ozil just useless for me.

Any idea?

I could never get the AMC role to work for my arsenal team, and I was reluctant to change the player roles of other positions because everyone else was playing brilliantly! Whoever played AMC always got 6.5 to 6.7 rating. 

Anyway...

I got the best out of Ozil as an AP (S) playing at CM. He wasn’t too familiar with it but I re-trained him and he improved. His stats were perfect for what I needed - play it out from the back, into Ozil who dictates play and controls tempo. I had AM(A) and a CF (A) and a AF (A) too so he had plenty of targets for balls over the top and into channels. 

AP(S) quite limits his majestic off the ball movement - 19 rating if I remember right. I had him successful playing as AM(S) - shoot less, roam.

advance playmaker should be changed , I think the hold position is limiting it, it should be closer to a TQ , but with the close down and tackle option open for player choice.

I have never been able to get a aps to work, but TQ and apa work fine, I could just ams , and use the PI, but I sometimes want the role to be the ball magnet.

24 minutes ago, big daddy said:

advance playmaker should be changed , I think the hold position is limiting it, it should be closer to a TQ , but with the close down and tackle option open for player choice.

I have never been able to get a aps to work, but TQ and apa work fine, I could just ams , and use the PI, but I sometimes want the role to be the ball magnet.

TQ has 'move into channels' hardcoded, which along his PPM of moving into channels would make him more agressive than a shadow striker. I don't think you would want that, because he has a 11 rating for finishing. Had him as TQ also, but he missed too many chances.

Mesut classified himself more of a shadow striker than a playmaker, but this is too much when coupled with another 'move into channels' instruction.

I agree that TQ best represents his irl movement, but he charges too much for a finishing rating of 11.

ive got him playing as a CWBs (rightsided) 

hes doing alright to be fair. only put him there due to injuries but due to his ability i've kept him there.

1 hour ago, Kelvinu said:

TQ has 'move into channels' hardcoded, which along his PPM of moving into channels would make him more agressive than a shadow striker. I don't think you would want that, because he has a 11 rating for finishing. Had him as TQ also, but he missed too many chances.

Mesut classified himself more of a shadow striker than a playmaker, but this is too much when coupled with another 'move into channels' instruction.

I agree that TQ best represents his irl movement, but he charges too much for a finishing rating of 11.

my point being that advanced playmaker should be changed and have the hold position removed, makes it to static.

2 minutes ago, big daddy said:

my point being that advanced playmaker should be changed and have the hold position removed, makes it to static.

I agree. I would do that to DLP too.

I think people become too fixated on the roles rather than the players attributes when building tactics. You need to remember players don't religiously follow the role instructions, they interpret them. Two different players given the same role can still play very differently especially with more fluid philosophies.   

So when you give Ozil a 'static role' he WILL still actively seek space because of his high Off the Ball and Decisions attributes coupled with his move into channels and come deep PPMs. 

With that I play Ozil as an off-centre Enganche so he finds space not only between the lines but also between the full-back/centre corridor.

With the Enganche other players sought to feed him more than other roles, because he become the teams "Primary Creator". I started him as Treq which he played much the same as an Enganche and again very successfully however with this, he saw less of the ball and even less of the ball when I used him as an Advanced Playmaker.

In fact I would say Ozil is the only true Enganche in the game. You should ignore the in-game role suitability score and if you do a search using the roles core attributes he comes out on top.

I bought Ozil for my Milan save and struggled to get him in involved as an AM or AP with the lone striker as a CF(S/A).  Changing the striker to DLF/A and Ozil as TQ has transformed both players.

The AP and DLP need to be static as they act as a pivot between the defence and attack. There are roles for a playmaker who roams. The roaming playmaker, register and Volante instantly spring to mind.

If you want more of a protective playmaker to act as a deep pivot to the attack then a DLP is the role for you. A more advanced pivot who may receive the ball from a more protective ball winning midfielder is the advanced playmaker.

Have a think what you want from your deep midfielder and then ask can he make the play from deep along with what is required to protect the defence.

I had Henderson in a flat 3 midfield as a DLP/d. Now he played the role well coupled with a CM/s and a CM/a but he was oft caught out of position supporting play when we were deep in the opp half. I switched to a BWM/d and an AP/s and I'm more protected without losing the creativity.

Seen a lot of replies on this thread so far that talk about Ozil in the center of the park (or slotted into one of the half spaces) and what role might fit him best there.  It's been a lot of fun to learn everyone's different approaches.  Didn't see much about Ozil on the flanks, however, so wanted to share some of my success playing him there.

I use, funny enough, a FM17 tactic by Ö-zil to the Arsenal! that can be found here. It worked great for me on FM17 with lesser squads, and so I figured I've give it a go with my first FM18 save as Arsenal.

Here is how I used Ozil within this system, as my left midfielder:

5a62746f303ee_dlp-dozil.thumb.png.915dadb78f2fc2a5206d04d603a0fa03.png5a627478d5709_dm-dozil.thumb.png.0dd5d96319fe4fe3e2a44355c7dd0b50.png5a62747f31f9a_rpm-sozil.thumb.png.a69545e9ed8042a68e44a1b52a56169b.png

All of these variations include default individual instructions for LM, except for the RPM-S setup, where Ozil (or whoever else played in the LM slot) was asked to do the following:

5a6274b63687e_rpm-sindividualinstructionsozil.thumb.png.50f09e025a75c983355f8b76e278084a.png

Thanks to this tactic, I have been able to win consecutive league titles, along with both the Europa League and Champions League finals.

But more to the point of this thread, Ozil has been consistently at the core of the tactic's syccess so far, even into his later years.

In fact, Ozil won the Ballon d'Or the first time it was awarded in my save:

5a62758f006d0_ballondor.thumb.png.05d50c3d6a4dfc17772ec7442ca85021.png

These are only league stats, so here's the rest of his work under this tactic, so far:

5a6275b23cc9d_ozilstats.thumb.png.1b6c4210a8b5dc5a75bfa884dc097a19.png5a6275b96dfea_ozilprofile.thumb.png.7c5932ace4dfbc1b0db026e0a7a1fc66.png

Figured he's a left footed magician, so why not play him on the left?

Edited by Domac

I had Ozil for a season or so in my save initially I played him in his natural AMC(ap) position and he would have a decent game here and there but mostly he'd go missing and barely contributed. Looking at match highlights he was too far away from the midfield and not working hard enough. 

I wanted him to be the creative fulcrum of the side so I dropped him back into the midfield as a right side Mezalla(at) and he was immense. Although this was not a natural position for him I played him alongside a DLP(d) and Segundo Volante so wasn't too worried about  his lack of defensive  contribution. The combination worked wonders.

So you want to bring out the best of Mesut Ozil and you play him on the left? I would say if you want him to shine you bring him in the middle as a playmaker. If I play such tactic I would expect my striker to score lots of goals and my wingers - only I would play with real wingers and not a main creator on the left - and he comes deep to get the ball so him in a WM position see him dropping in to a wingback position to get the ball, far away from goal or giving an assist. 

I've been playing him just like Arsenal do in real life. As an AP (s) on the right wing of a 3-4-3. He's done very well for me.