Sports Interactive Community
Joso1000

Destroying everyone in the league but get knocked out in 1/8 CL every year

Ok, im playing FM 2014 with Real Madrid for 7 seasons now, i destroy everyone in the league with alot of scored goals, i win over even Barcelona and Valencia, and dominate in the group stage  of CL, but when the knockout phase comes about, it does not matter if i just won 60 games in a row in La Liga, or that all of my players are 4,5 stars, or that they are Superb by morale for the last 6 months, or that the opponent had bad streak of results, i rutinely get knocked out. Obviously my tactics and training is not the problem, the players start acting like amateurs when 1/8 of CL comes and throw all team cohesion out the window. Can anyone offer some general help?

8 hours ago, Joso1000 said:

Obviously my tactics and training is not the problem

You are right, it is not the tactics. Something happens in cup tournaments that top teams tend to get out-classed by hungrier teams. I don't have a direct solution to it, this is a problem IRL too for most managers.

I do get past it most of the time. I don't think I have this figured out, but I can tell you what works for me. I dig into my team hard to let them know these games are important, particularly the key players I think are about to let me down. But most importantly, I play a deep rotation for cup games. I find that rotation players have enough hunger in them to match the intensity of the other team, more than my 'A' players would. When the game gets rough and things are not going our way, my rotation players dig deep and fight back, while key players tend to just get frustrated and let up.

Another thing I do (that seems to be unique) is use a deep rotation throughout the season so that my team is not jaded by the last third of the season. I give all my key players plenty of rest and make them ride the bench for weeks around Jan-Feb or so, to make sure they are fit and eager to go. So by the time these cup games get serious, I have my pick of rotation players and fresh key players and try to make roster decisions based on how much I can get away with verbally abusing my key players to get a performance out of them, and which rotation players I think are in good form and have the desire to win the match.

And even then, for me too many cup matches turn into an anger fest. Conceding a stupid goal in the first 15 mins, and having to fight uphill from there on, with me constantly whipping the boys with chains and screaming how they are all born losers and will never be good enough, riding them as hard as I can all the way to a 1-1 result and a narrow win on penalties. Happens too often like that, but I never quit on the result and we usually get it.

This is an issue that I have been aware of for more than 20 years now- an unbeaten league season, but losing in a cup to an unfancied team.  If I didn't know better, I would suggest that this is part of the game code :D.  I have tried all things but always get a sinking feeling in the cup or league cup when playing against a poorer team in the early rounds- doesnt seem to happen when you get to the latter stages as much.  As @tacticsdude has mentioned you really need to whip the team into a frenzy of passion to sometimes get a result

Do you rotate or play the same players constantly? I imagine this has something to do with fatigue. Take a page from the Pep handbook and rotate in games against Girona and Las Palmas and save the big players and their perfect morale for big games.

3 hours ago, supfootballers said:

Do you rotate or play the same players constantly? I imagine this has something to do with fatigue. Take a page from the Pep handbook and rotate in games against Girona and Las Palmas and save the big players and their perfect morale for big games.

i was wondering if it had something to do with fatique, but when they get knocked out of CL they continue destroying in the league again.  I was wondering also if it might be a part of the game code too, i mean i have 6-0-0 in group stage, i get CLub Brugge in 1/8 of CL who was 3rd in Belgian league at the time, and of course i will attack them from minute 1. Not only that i didnt win, i got outclassed, outplayed, they were better in every way and beaten me 6:0. Imagine how furious you can get with something like that. Especiallly when keeping in mind ive beaten Barcelona in the previous match.

5 minutes ago, Joso1000 said:

i was wondering if it had something to do with fatique, but when they get knocked out of CL they continue destroying in the league again.  I was wondering also if it might be a part of the game code too, i mean i have 6-0-0 in group stage, i get CLub Brugge in 1/8 of CL who was 3rd in Belgian league at the time, and of course i will attack them from minute 1. Not only that i didnt win, i got outclassed, outplayed, they were better in every way and beaten me 6:0. Imagine how furious you can get with something like that. Especiallly when keeping in mind ive beaten Barcelona in the previous match.

Its down to tactics & player mentality.

The tactics you control via the options and the player mentality you control via team talks, media comments and player conversations.

Get to know your team, what the different personalities are and under what circumstances they perform.  Sometimes you need a demanding team talk, sometimes you need a calm one to settle the nerves.

Your preparation for a match starts with the post match team talk from the last match, if you beat Barcelona and you give your players lots of praise its possible you overdid it and they became complacent in the next match.

If the match starts and you are under pressure/not controlling the game then you need to change something, this might be the formation, the style of play, more defensive/attacking, keep the ball or go more direct etc etc.

Ask Man City "fans" about this issue.

Personally I think its the issue of the short time between matches and the large home/away difference that can cause problems. Its worth resting your key men in the league before the match and pretty much playing for the clean sheet in home games in Europe. I'd rather get a 0-0 home draw and then try to blow the match wide open away from home with chances all over the place than win 3-2 at home and hope we can hold onto this away.

What is your Team mentality? I have not had this problem on FM 18, but have before, when not being particular about team mentality. My team mentality is Driven, and that actually should mean they win sutch matches to a larger degree than teams with lesser team mentalities..