Sports Interactive Community
knap

ARGUS 343 Knap FM18

I cant believe i`m saying this, but Bolton Wanderers have only gone and won the championship on the last day.

I`ve never felt nerves like that on FM in a very long time. 

Finished the championship on 92 points, level with wolves but had a better head to head (they lost their last 3 games, one of those to us). 106 goals scored but 61 conceeded.

Had so many first team players injured in the run up to that final match, and then one of my backups injured during the match, incredible tension and utter Euphoria when the final whistle went.

I tweaked the tactic to play out from the back as I was losing too many long balls, but full credit to Knap for whats taken place this season.

So I've been testing this and Pilgrimage with my Oxford BET League 1 team. No real transfers, my first year as manager, goal was to reach the middle of the table. Rough start, just don't have great players and no money to transfer in upgrades.

After moving to Argus and Pilgrimage (343 versions) we started winning,. In some matches, pretty dominant. Even though I have no one who is a natural wingback on the team. Suddenly the front three I settled on started looking like a well oiled scoring machine.

However, I still would get the occasional loss, especially to teams lower rated than us. That's fine, I don't expect to win every match with an average team, that would feel more like a cheat. But I seemed to run into a wall all of a sudden in the middle of the season.

So on a lark I tried WOF 343, and that seems to be the most effective tactic for this team. Very pretty play, very pretty goals. I would often feel like I'd need to change tactics early in the match when it seemed we just weren't breaking through, and the other team would get a goal in. but if I stayed with it Oxford would usually climb back and take over the match.

We actually made it much further in the FA Cup than expected and ended up playing a Premier League team, and led the match up to the last minute, at which point they scored the equalizer. We went ahead in extra time,then in the last couple of minutes they scored two goals to win. Disappointing but amazing we played that well against a mid table Premier League team.

We won the Checkatrade trophy, then in the last game of the season won the BET League 1 championship, far exceeding all expectations.

We will see how this works out now that we've been promoted. but just wanted to offer the data. WOF seems just balanced enough to be very solid and, for this weaker team, very effective. I think I may have gotten similar results with Argus 18.2.2 and may replay the season just to test.

FWIW

A couple of questions.

1. I've just taken over Estudientes and have found that my three main CB's have a pace stat of 10, 10, and 9. What would be your recommendations in terms of tweaking to compensate for this?

2. Is there an optimal pitch size for this tactic? they're asking for my requirements on pitch size for the season ahead. Should I be looking for a short field to compensate for my slow CB's and a wide field for direct play? 

Ii tend to just use Average pitch size and would not recommend tweaking unless you see a problem.

Hi Knap! What would you say is your most defensive 343 tactic? I’m looking for one that’s suited to games such as Man Utd away to Man City. Cheers

hi knap firstly thanks for the tactic really going well with my swindon game getting close to back to back promotions L2/L1 however recently i,m starting to fail to hang on to leads whats your way of shutting up shop 

Contain and WBs on defend or even DFBs. There is a ARGUS 451 version which may be handy if the AI use a AMC. 

I don't always save them as I set them up during a match.

Try the ARGUS 451 or ASH SUS or follow instructions above.

Hey man, love this tactic, it helped me a lot. But I cannot get it to work on the "big matches", being against a superior team, or semi-finals/finals (I'm a now mid-table team, always in 2nd due to this wonderful tactic against all other teams). I've tried lowering the defense line, ease off tackles, even counter/defensive/contain without WBR/L forward runs, and I always get destroyed.

What should I do master? :)

If the problem is down wings then you may need to consider a 442 (anchor volante)

@knap I've played one of your tactics in FM17 that the results in Instant Result were a little better than when watching. For this one what do you recommend, watching or Instant Result ? And is there a big difference in results between this two methods or they don't make that much of a difference ? 

Thank you!

In FM 16 Instant Result was used for testing (no match plan). In general watching was considered marginally better than instant result, and holiday testing produced the worst results.

I therefore do not have a issue using Instant Result and many prefer this way of playing. Watching does allow you to make changes or use a SUS tactic but there are too many variables to back to back test.

ARGUS P102 or DARDK SIDE 343, if not a 343 the MIDSOMER perhaps on Counter. White Europe has a Home Away tactic tweak which may be worth a try.

5 hours ago, knap said:

ARGUS P102 or DARDK SIDE 343, if not a 343 the MIDSOMER perhaps on Counter. White Europe has a Home Away tactic tweak which may be worth a try.

Would pilgrimage be any good for Bournemouth??

Pilgrimage is slightly better for sub top but you may prefer the Fluid structure. I often use Goodbye with Spurs as Very Fluid tends to sui them. WOF sits in the middle being flexible but even on MR Ls test there is not much between them, I mentioned Dark Side as plays well with Newcastle.

Hi Knap 

U prop ask this before but Im strugling with Tottenham 

Wich tactic would u recommend?

I like 4 in the back xD 

The last time I played Spurs I used GOODBYE 3421, which is close to the formation for the lose at Watford. 

DARK SIDE 433 may work.

@Omrgul said in june he believes the ARGUS 18.3.3 version (VOL2  ¬FM18.3.3KnapARGUS343VOL2LppolP101.fmf ?) to be better than Argus 18.2.2 P102. Also preffered over the IWB:s in VOL4. 

But VOL2  ¬FM18.3.3KnapARGUS343VOL2LppolP101.fmf  is not quite as good rating in the tests at Mr L?

image.thumb.png.5369f55ef130572f97b3fd6445b606b3.png

image.thumb.png.6005e8a8e3512587a854561a06056214.png

Edit: ATM I believe I must go with Argus 18.2.2 P102 as it tops the test and I because I will play a medium level European swedish team.

Thanks for your excellent work making this game exciting! =)

Edited by Dreambuilder

Over a league season there is very little to choose, and certain combinations of roles may work better with your squad.

Hey knap, made a little tweak to the 18.2.2argus343p102 that seems to work. I've turned one of the ST into a AMC (Trequartista). 

Untitled.png

Just usual left foot left side.

I often use WB Au so they can be set up inverted rather than use the Inverted WB role. It is more trying to get the right PIs rather than the role.

2 hours ago, knap said:

Just usual left foot left side.

I often use WB Au so they can be set up inverted rather than use the Inverted WB role. It is more trying to get the right PIs rather than the role.

@knap when looking for players do you pick them via attributes that fit the role or go for just the role ??

I just use positions and  use the scout report more than just attributes. The highlighted role attributes may be good as a general guide but a role can be trained.  In none of my seasons are the players a perfect fit for the roles or the players being trained for roles.

5 minutes ago, knap said:

I just use positions and  use the scout report more than just attributes. The highlighted role attributes may be good as a general guide but a role can be trained.  In none of my seasons are the players a perfect fit for the roles or the players being trained for roles.

@knap what would you look for in a scout report I’m really struggling to get a settled 11 and stick to a tactic at the mo 

mostly the hidden attributes- consistency big match player as well as CA and PA.

I would avoid looking at roles and let your AM pick team and just see how the games develops, who plays well, who struggles and take it from there.

5 minutes ago, knap said:

mostly the hidden attributes- consistency big match player as well as CA and PA.

I would avoid looking at roles and let your AM pick team and just see how the games develops, who plays well, who struggles and take it from there.

@knap so I’m guessing that anyone with a CA of 150 + and consistency and big match 14+ ?? 

2 hours ago, knap said:

You would need Genie to see those the Scout report just gives an indication.

@knap I do use fmtre so I will look at my best players etc thanks for the advice 

This tactic is great! 
After 7 seasons with Osasuna we could win the Champions League, after losing the final 3 times (2 in extra time and the other one at PKs).

This is my summary.

image.thumb.png.ae01e1191ff04ea33bb5e42098681709.png

We've won the league in 5 of the 6 times we played. Breaking the match winning record (originally in 34 by Real Madrid, broke it in 35 and now 36!!!), points record 109!

image.thumb.png.4f133f238c2dc870c18ff65abc14323e.png

I've build a great squad, solid and trying not to push it physically. It cause me problems with some key players that want to play more, but as you can see in the stats, the key players have played around 35 matches and the subs almost between 20 and 25.

image.thumb.png.f5da23253586ecf5f70da13805415adf.png

This was last season schedule

LA LIGA

image.thumb.png.b256ba90fefef4aa7d4d1084f00b068f.png

image.thumb.png.a416dd09c34ba466e78c250d78fe61e2.png

Champions League

image.thumb.png.492693a422e1b814e035773cf5edcb6b.png

Supercopa and Copa del Rey

image.thumb.png.67d611f8792bfe9e3b95fa1c362c6807.png

Matches played: 52

Matches won: 48

Matches draw: 2 (Espanyol and Man Utd)

Matches lost: 2 (Chelsea and Celta)

This is our Competitions history

image.thumb.png.5d4e7895facc19447070dce0b376c204.png

Thank you @knap for this amazing tactic.

image.png

27 minutes ago, knap said:

Did you use the FM 18.2.2 P102 Tactic?

At the beginning of the game yes. But then moved to 18.3.3 VOL4 P102