ARGUS 343 Knap FM18

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

This is beast tactic, really exploit :) I mean this one FM18.2.2KnapARGUS343P102.fmf

Not sure if this is matter of my reputation or game is rigged - because with Man Utd this tactic is a real killer and plug & play. Beautiful, intense, high work rate football. Players are in good positions, making lot of interceptions and killer passes. So I beat Real Madrid 7-0 in Super Cup. Thought then, it must be nice to see Cristiano hitting like a mad using this tactic, so took over Real Madrid next snap save, using same manager and tactic. Tried 3 times, never got it worked with Real. They act as Championship players, not top ones. Never was able to replicate work rate and positioning of Man Utd... Any thoughts?

Edited by Rémy Leroux

On 13/06/2018 at 12:25, omrgul said:

Till now having extensively used ARGUS tactics in my saves with a variety of teams, I can safely say, you don't need to even look for any other tactic this year.

The topper in Mr. L's table (ARGUS 18.2.2 P102), anyone can use in any situation with any team. You are bound to overachieve. Since I never use Holiday or Instant Result, meaning that I watch and manage each game in Highlights mode, I can safely say that this front 3 role combination is the best to get most out of your strikers (AF - P - AF e.g. Hazard - Morata - Willian, OR Martial - Lukaku - Rashford, and even Alioski - Antonsson - Roofe in my Leeds' save).  Style of attacking play is dependent on crosses mostly, but once become Fluid, is fun to watch and you never get the Arcade-like feeling some people are associating with these 3 up-top tactics). My suggestion would be to use provider (more creative type) of forwards in the wide AF roles. And I use to manually set specific man-marking PI for my Poacher, that way let's say Morata used to closely mark one of opposition's midfield player, and thus negating the outnumbering of 3 midfield formations. You can simply take one player out of the picture. The AI doesn't even consider passing to that player, if specifically marked. I also use this technique in a Mourinho-esqe way at the wings e.g. I would man mark Salah and Griezman with Azpilicueta or Zouma when playing against Liverpool or Atletico. To avoid overburdening yourself, just do it against really top players e.g. CA ~ 180s (your Neymars, your Griezmans, your Salahs etc. but leave Messi, Ronaldo plus anyone with Sane's pace alone, since they will make a fool out of your man-marker).

Then comes the ARGUS 18.3.3 version, which I believe is even better and my personal favorite. Knap added a very effective "Close Down More" TI in this one, which I found especially helpful in initiating quick counterattacks from middle of the park by winning the ball and distributing quickly to one of AFs, who can launch deadly low cross to your Poacher (who would also be doing a darting run from the back since he was man-marking opposition's midfield player, remember Di Maria, Ronaldo, and Benzema counterattacking under Mourinho anyone???). Also, close down more helps in safeguarding your wings better against those crosses from hell. I have observed that when your WB is unable to track the winger, the Central Defender is somehow neglecting to close down immediately to stop the cross (this applies when the closing down is set to Sometimes). But with Close Down More in this version, they were much more responsive. I had Goldson, Pontus, and Cunningham with Nick Pope in goal keeping clean sheets in first season in Premier league, which I won in the very first season by the way.

The VOL4 version with IWBs give you a different approach to Attack (since IWBs are hardcoded to Cross Less, so the Attacking play is even more pleasing to the eye). But I personally don't use it that much, since with Structured shape, the Attack duty of IWBs will mean, they are definitely meant to Attack, so the Defense suffers a little from what I have observed. WBs on Support duty with Structured in the 18.2.2 and 18.3.3 versions safeguard your wings much better.

So to summarize, this is my firm tactical philosophy now (maybe some of you can benefit from it as well);

- You don't need to look into any other thread to play and succeed this year's FM. Just use ARGUS 18.2.2 P102 for any team, any situation. It will defend well, it will score loads. If your team isn't scoring, just make sure you have 20% Attacking Movement match preparation training. And also more importantly don't forget to give Fergie's hairdryer treatment at halftime, they will respond well.

- Come the tough Away games, the Cup Finals, the Away Europeon nights, you can set BWM (s) to BWM (d), and stop your WBs to stop hunting the wings by setting their duties to Defend. That's it. No change in PIs.

- And definitely, you need a SUS tactic like the one posted in this thread to save a lead and/or some legs on the pitch. Since all of the above have quite high intensity (I am yet to try Counter mentality with ARGUS which is bound to lower the intensity and avoid injuries considerably, like many managers have tried with Midsomer 442s with great success), and I have observed that no matter what, injuries are unavoidable with high intensity tactics. I usually take the starting 10 outfield players and give them 2 days rest from training when the midweek games start to thicken up.

Or in-short, I wanted to say Thanks Knap for making this game enjoyable !!!

hello ormgul nice explanatio of the god tactic from knap....i hane just onre question what dou you mine with fergie's hairdryer treatment at halftime???

Someone sent me their game once as a tactic was not working. The quality of squad was good for the league and there were no apparent management issues. I played the first few games and the team were making mistakes and giving away pens and struggling to get a point. I then started the save again but this time changed Manager and with the same tactic the team were winning games easily no mistakes or pens. Although game variables mean you can get different results by being lucky or unlucky, when with the same tactic and same team the performance of a team is vastly different then one would assume other forces are at work.

Last years Reputation test also indicated results were worse as reputation was increased with same team and tactics.

If in doubt use the AM for training and team talks/press. 

I can win league with both Barca(Pilgrimage) and RM (WOF) 343 which are similar to ARGUS but using different team shape.

Results with ARGUS appear good

745795394_Screenshot(322).thumb.png.72d02aecba3985f32c2c055efae9874b.png2094463228_Screenshot(323).thumb.png.c22fb82f309dbd66e4d5c5ad4674bd7c.png

10 hours ago, Pit 83 said:

hello ormgul nice explanatio of the god tactic from knap....i hane just onre question what dou you mine with fergie's hairdryer treatment at halftime???

As knap said, it is more Assertive / Aggressive teamtalk at halftime. Associated with Sir Alex Ferguson during his time at Manchester United.

I have observed that it really works in most occasions. For example, at halftime, even Away as underdog stating Assertively that "Show me something else in second half" works well a lot of times.

For sub top and underdog there is not a huge difference in the away performance of PILGRIMAGE or ARGUS. There is always the option of game management by using different mentalities, however, you may find the approach omrgul has used can be adapted for PILGRIMAGE.or use ARGUS with suggested approach.

Hi Knap. First message that I post on this forum, first of all I thank you very much for posting your tactics because you are a sacred tactician! In France we do not have guys like you
I'm with Sheffield United, I went up with a total of 120 pts in the Sky Bet Championship. This season, I'm 3rd in the Premier League at the half of the season. For the big games outside against the Big Five members, I followed your advice and for 3 games, I have hit Liverpool 2 times in a row at Andfield and I just won at the Emirates. I just change the Box to Box Midfield to Anchor Man because Sturaro is very good in this position. To put the lateral ones in the defensive position stabilizes more the defense I find. And it works perfectly with the Counter mentality early in the game. Thank you very much !

Sheffield United_  Calendrier Senior.png

Sky Bet Championship_ Vue d'ensemble Profil.png

21 hours ago, knap said:

The quality of squad was good for the league and there were no apparent management issues. I played the first few games and the team were making mistakes and giving away pens and struggling to get a point. I then started the save again but this time changed Manager and with the same tactic the team were winning games easily no mistakes or pens.

Yep, looks like my case. However, I do not like to change manager - I have managed to beat Man Utd in Super Cup, and then we went to Barca. First half we lose 0:2 and players act like child in the fog. What a frustration. So I pulled off hair dryer with aggressive tone and we ended with 2:2. Luckily, on home we got 3:0. This is nice challenge, to fire up those players, cause for sure tactic will stay with us :)

If players are plying badly then being more pro active with team talks may help turn the position around.

I can post the team talk guide if useful.

6 minutes ago, knap said:

If players are plying badly then being more pro active with team talks may help turn the position around.

I can post the team talk guide if useful.

please post the team talk guide......

Artisan's Guide

Team Talks

A lot of people have sent me quite a few messages about what i do for my team talks and these people are right to want to take this aspect of the game serious. Although it must be said that I have not done directed research on team talks, I have had a lot of experience and will be working off that for this section. So here you go. It might seem a bit much at the start but when you get used to it, you will not need to read this section anymore. It will become intuitive. TRUST ME !

615762d1403150159-left-over-tactics-team

Pre-match Team Talks

I usually link this to my teams form and the pre-match analysis comments. Think about the analysis comments as a sort of summary from a TV show like soccer saturday or match of the day. It is definitely more accurate than the numerical odds you get a few days before the game and is usually different. It usually appears on the second screen on match day after the formations screen. Example below.

Home Games

I listed the some base scenarios that should sort of cover most situations. Listed evry situation is really tedious and I might update it later if need be. 

Clear Favourites + Good Form : Expect A Performance (Aggresive or Assertive) + Pick Up where Left off for top performers in previous game

Favourite + Decent Form : Expect A Performance (Assertive) or For the Fans (Calm, Assertive)

Expected to Draw/Narrow Win + Previous good Game : Usually don't say anything or Pick Up where Left off for top performers in previous game.

Expected to loose Heavily: Usually don't say anything or No pressure (calm)

Rival Game or Cup Final/Semi: Expect A Performance (Passionate) if in good form or For the Fans (Passionate) in all other situations

Away Games

Clear Favourites + Good Form : Expect A Performance (Aggresive or Assertive) + Pick Up where Left off for top performers in previous game

Favourite + Decent Form : For the Fans (Calm, Assertive)

Expected to Draw/Narrow Win + Previous good Game : Usually don't say anything or Pick Up where Left off for top performers in previous game.

Expected to loose Heavily: No pressure (calm)

Rival Game or Cup Final/Semi: For the Fans (Passionate)

615765d1403288106-left-over-tactics-team

Halftime Team Talk

As you would have expected, I link this to the halftime score and also individual performances. But I also link it back to pre match analysis as well to determine the tone that I use. I put players into 3 categories based on there rating (Bad < 6.8), (Average 6.8), (Good > 6.8), (Great > 7.2). I will start with the general team talk the talk about individual after

Clear Favourites + Winning by over 2 goals or more: Happy with Football being Played (Assertive)
Clear Favourites + Winning by a goal: Things are going well but could be better (Assertive) or Complacency (Calm)
Clear Favourites + Drawing: 
Clear Favourites + Loosing: Expect Better (Aggressive) or Show me something Else (Aggressive)

Favourite + Winning by over 2 goals or more: Say Nothing or Happy with Football being Played (Calm)
Favourite + Winning by a goal: Say Nothing
Favourite + Drawing: Expect Better (Assertive)
Favourite + Loosing: Expect Better (Assertive, Calm) or Show me something Else (Assertive, Calm)

Narrow Win + Winning by over 2 goals or more: Happy with Football being Played (Assertive)
Narrow Win + Winning by a goal: Could be better (Calm/Cautious)
Narrow Win + Drawing: Could be better (Assertive)
Narrow Win + Loosing: Expect Better (Calm)

Expected to loose Heavily + Winning by 2 goals or more : Happy with Football being Played (Passionate)
Expected to loose Heavily + Winning by a goal : Happy with Football being Played (Calm)
Expected to loose Heavily + Drawing: Happy with Football being Played (Calm)
Expected to loose Heavily + Loosing: Show me Something Else if loosing heavily (Assertive) + No Pressure if narrowly loosing (Calm)

Individual Halftime

(Bad < 6.8) : Not Happy With performance (Assertive if Loosing) (Calm if winning)
(Average 6.8): No Individual Talk
(Good > 6.8) Have faith/there is more to come (Calm)
(Great > 7.2): Happy with performance (Assertive)

Post Match

Follows the same principle for the halftime team and individual team talks

Until the 1st goal or 2 the AI do not open up, which may cause the 1st half frustration.

I use mostly FMT which avoids all the interaction rubbish.

On 18/07/2018 at 08:46, omrgul said:

As knap said, it is more Assertive / Aggressive teamtalk at halftime. Associated with Sir Alex Ferguson during his time at Manchester United

I have observed that it really works in most occasions. For example, at halftime, even Away as underdog stating Assertively that "Show me something else in second half" works well a lot of times.

Excellent information provided previously in this thread. I have a question or two.

omrgul....
I tried using the central striker to man-mark the opposition midfielder and it did result in more of a stalemate affair, however, I noticed that it affected my attacking prowess. Is this something you use only in games where the other team are clear favourites, or, in most away games?

Also, to Knap, I'm using the formation that is current best underdog, for Ajax in away games. I'm finding that if I switch to it with counter or control I'm inviting more pressure and end up conceding more. Given that the tactic has a reputation for good defensive performances, is there anything you can recommend? changes of mentality? etc?

Thanks

The optimum version will be the one posted and would recommend as the start tactic, unless you get good results changing.  Once a lead is established consider other options if you are not controlling game. A SUS tactics tends to be only useful for last 20 mins.

France held out against Belgium but they ended up under pressure

End of the first season in the Premier League. Very satisfied with the results, I could have been more struggling with Manchester if I had not had a bad shape because of a lot of injuries. But next year Sheffield will be in the Champions League!
Knap I have a question: my team is better than last year, young people have progressed. Should I continue with ARGUS 343 or play with BLUE MATTER 343?

Première Division anglaise_ Vue d'ensemble Profil.png

Sheffield United_ Joueurs Joueurs.png

Sheffield United_  Calendrier Senior-4.png

Sheffield United_  Calendrier Senior-3.png

Sheffield United_  Calendrier Senior-2.png

Overview of Tactic List from testing                                  TOTAL                       SUB TOP    UNDERDOG

ARGUS FM 18.2.2       P102                                                    P385                          P206        P179  

PILGRIMAGE FM 18.3.3 LPOOL P104                                  P380                            P226       P154

WOF FM 18.3.3  P101  Flexible                                              P381                           P213          P168

WOF FM 18.3.3 LPOOL P100 ALL CUPS                                P365                          P196          P169

PILGRIMAGE Fluid  LPOOL P101                                           P367                          P201           P166

PILGRIMAGE FM 18.2 P105                                                   P357                          P218           P139

ARGUS VOL 4 FM18.3.3  Structured  P101 ALL CUPS       P363                          P220           P143

BLUE MATTER    FM 18.3.3 P105                                         P356                           P207           P149

GOODBYE FM 18.3 VOL 7 Very Fluid                                  P349                           P208          P141

GOODBYE 3421                                                                     P324                          P205         P119

MIDSOMER 442 P103 (FLAT TEST)                                      P349                          P199         P150

MIDSOMER 442 VOL MEZ                                                    P342                          P196         P146 

MIDSOMER 343 VOL MEZ                                                    P337                          P195        P142

WOF 2323    FM 18   P104                                                    P335                          P187         P148

BLUE MATTER FM 18.3 VOL 4 P102     352                       P335                           P206         P129

ASH 343 19,3.3 LPOOLP99 Highly Structured                 P333                           P205       P128

ARGUS 3430                                                                          P331                          P192         P139

VOLANTE BWM FM 18.3 P101                                           P326                            P191         P135

MM  442 VOLANTE P103                                                    P323                            P187        P136

WOF 3412                                                                            P325                             P198         P127

WOF 2233 P102HS         FM 18.2                                      P311                             P194         P117

BLUE MATTER VOL 4 P100 4123 FM 18.2.1                  P310                             P179         -P131

MMVOLANTEANCHOR            442                                   P302                            P165           P127

ARGUS 352 18.2,2 P101                                                   P306                            P169            P137

BLUE MATTER 433 18.3                                                    P295                             P158           P137

BLUE MATTER VOL 4 4213 VOLANTE 18.3                     P289                            P184            P105

PILGRIMAGE 3511 18.2.2 P102                                       P297                            P181            P116

PILGRIMAGE 451 MUP101 18.3.3                                    P293                           P169          P124

MIDSOMER WIDE DIAMOND   18.3                                P287                            P175            P112

RAMBLE ON ASYMMETRIC18,3 P100                             P287                           P169            P118     

RAW SIENNA 4231 18,2,2                                                 P272                           P147             P125 

I have asked for top dog and under under dog to be tested next year. Newer tactics will not be tested to after 17 th Sept. SUS Tactics can't be tested and most of the time I set them up as and when needed.

There are 89 games with an under dog team and 89 with sub top. 385 pts is the best tested tactic overall, but PIGRIMAGE is slightly better than ARGUS for sub top.

Apart from the 343s that dominate this year, next best formation is the MIDSOMER 442s

It is an independent test and the teams used have the right players for any role or formation.

So far the best tactic this year from more than 500 tested.

They pull wide and cross so left on left, however, I do manually switch during games and mix things up if not scoring. Can also try that with wingers.

@knap

But is this tactics ranking still valid for 18.3.x game version ?

Does it mean that if I try ARGUS FM 18.2.2 on a 18.3.4 save I will have (in theory) better results that with the current ARGUS 18.3.3 ?

By the way I am using the 18.3.3 one with Marseille (default squad) and after couple of month I have mixed results. Of course lot of victories, and lot of goal scored, but in the meantime I concede way too much (for my taste ^^) . With scores like, winning 7-4, or drawing twice 3-3 (against bottom table clubs). 

Is this something you witnessed ? Any thoughts to avoid that ? 

Thanks by advance mate ! 

The independent tests were made in 18.3 and therefore apply to 18.3.4.

ARGUS 18.2.2 scored more pts and goals and conceded less.

Are you using AM for team talks press and training?

16 hours ago, knap said:

I would give press to AM as well for time being.

16 hours ago, knap said:

I would give press to AM as well for time being.

19 hours ago, knap said:

The independent tests were made in 18.3 and therefore apply to 18.3.4.

ARGUS 18.2.2 scored more pts and goals and conceded less.

Are you using AM for team talks press and training?

Which 18.2.2 is it high scoring or the other one ??

On 21/07/2018 at 19:42, knap said:

ARGUS is the top overall and underdog tactic but PILGRIMAGE 343 is top sub top. If you start having problems at Home try PILGRIMAGE

pilgrimage for all home games????and which version.......