How do I stop long range shots?

My team are always shooting from long range and they never go in. I can rack up 30 shots on goal with only 10-12 being on target. How can I stop this? Is it worth selecting the "Work ball into box" team instruction and "Shoot less often" player instruction?

Thanks

Every time i have that problem, i end up concluding that the reason is related with the lack of movement and space when my team is attacking, and this is generally due to a poor choice of roles/duties.

Could you please show the tactic that you are using?

Using the TI to "work ball into the box" ou the PI to "shoot less", imo, it's more a quick patch that could help in some ocasions, but it's not dealing with the real issue.

2 hours ago, RobTheRed said:

Is it worth selecting the "Work ball into box" team instruction and "Shoot less often" player instruction?

This isn't a off switch. 

It lowers the rating of the option but if there are no other options, no options he can see or no options that he thinks are a better option (decisions, teamwork, composure etc) the player will still shoot.

In all honesty I have the same issue, with the "Work ball into box" team instruction, and with my 2 IF's with instructions to "shoot less" my players still take random long shots, as well as shots from impossible angles and they do have better options.

The number of times I have a player completely free in the middle just waiting for a pass across for a tap in into an open goal and the player just shoots is infuriating.  And I'm talking about Coutinho/Dybala/Salah so it's not players with poor vision & decisions doing this.

I get the ME is trying to tell you that the tactic isnt working by instructing every player to disobey the manager and shoot from ridicioulous distances and angles, but I find it extremely borderline BS. If this were to happen in real life the manager would tell the players to simply don't shoot. What you would then get is players holding on to the ball waiting patiently for an oppurtunity or similar, not players continuing to disobey. I think the sideline "more concentration" option should make the players re-evulate their PI and TI and stop taking silly shots.

There is also a limit on how much can be blamed on tactics and not the ME. Clearly the ME doesn't deal well with shoot/pass visual implementation.

I always found the biggest cure for unneeded long shots are : 

1. tactic familiarity : make sure your players have perfect fluidity with your tactic (assuming that's not something crazy tactics)

2. role familiarity : a perfect player perfectly understanding the desired role is a match made in heaven, yet rare. Try to give them a role they understand and not going against their PPMs

3. team gel : If you have strong connections between your players, speaking the same language, played at the club together for a while that helps A LOT. If they're favourite personnel to each other then you'll surely see improvement.

14 hours ago, TheMagician16 said:

I get the ME is trying to tell you that the tactic isnt working by instructing every player to disobey the manager and shoot from ridicioulous distances and angles, but I find it extremely borderline BS. If this were to happen in real life the manager would tell the players to simply don't shoot. What you would then get is players holding on to the ball waiting patiently for an oppurtunity or similar, not players continuing to disobey. I think the sideline "more concentration" option should make the players re-evulate their PI and TI and stop taking silly shots.

There is also a limit on how much can be blamed on tactics and not the ME. Clearly the ME doesn't deal well with shoot/pass visual implementation.

I agree with this. It’s definitely the area of the ME i’d most like to see improved. I get that tactics don’t always work, but blasting the ball miles wide from 39 yards out is the most frustrating way to show that, especially when the player could just turn back. 

It centres on how much space and movement is around the player with the ball - if he has no passing options then the likelihood is that he will take a long shot. It is the same with short passing - if there is no movement to make the short pass, the player will hit the ball long.  You need to analyse (or post) the formation you are using, the role/duties you have given and the team instructions - all of these can have a factor on what you see within the ME and on screen.

2 hours ago, Ellandroadhero said:

I agree with this. It’s definitely the area of the ME i’d most like to see improved. I get that tactics don’t always work, but blasting the ball miles wide from 39 yards out is the most frustrating way to show that, especially when the player could just turn back. 

I think some of this is likely due to what you see in highlights.  You won't get a highlight of a misplaced pass, simple interception, tackle or headed away cross etc unless it leads to something more for one of the teams.  Compared to those "standard" occurrence a shot, even from range will be a more likely event to show depending on your level of highlights.

9 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

I think some of this is likely due to what you see in highlights.  You won't get a highlight of a misplaced pass, simple interception, tackle or headed away cross etc unless it leads to something more for one of the teams.  Compared to those "standard" occurrence a shot, even from range will be a more likely event to show depending on your level of highlights.

FIr point. I watch on comprehensive, so I do see attacks fall apart a little more than just long-shots, but I get what you’re saying. I do think the long shots and crosses into the stands are disproportionate, although I’m definitely not one of those people that blames the ME for everything that ever goes wrong, I’d just like them to step it up another level next year :) 

Archived