Sports Interactive Community
Timetxu

[FM18] Well, this is chapin' up to be a challenge...

INTRODUCTION

Deportivo_Marquense.png.3f45b8964520b22ed71f5739d32be8e1.png

Guatemala, the land of 37 volcanoes, incredible nature, outstanding food and the biggest relative population of ethnically Mayan indigenous descent in Central America. Unfortunately, also a country in a very dire situation. I have had the fortune to visit the country for my work (I work for an NGO in labour rights for those who want to know), but it's ridden with economic difficulty, a president who's a clown (no seriously, the guy was actually a comedian before being elected president) and a huge amount of young people (nearly two thirds of the national population) with the choice of either joining criminal gangs or fleeing the country to improve their quality of life.

I was lucky enough to visit some youth projects in the westernmost province of the country, San Marcos, where young local kids were telling me they wanted to go to college, but it was useless as their degrees would hardly lead to anything without some kind of national development. Many of their relatives who had gone to study in the capital would eventually join gangs made up of people from the same region of origin. Fleeing the country to Mexico, or maybe even further into the US, was the only way of doing something for the country, as remittances are one of the biggest forms of income for the country.

All politics and economy aside, I planned to do something in return, not only during my work, but also virtually through FM, as I'll start a youth development save in the club that represents the region of San Marcos, Deportivo Marquense. As you can see, the city is located way up in the mountains, at 2,400 meters above sea level. The title of this story is a nod to the nickname of the Guatemalan population, as they refer to anything related to Guatemalan culture as Chapín.

86950286.thumb.jpg.8d04f1fa00b7a9676aee81d19193e6cb.jpg

GENERAL CLUB INFO

Name: Club Deportivo Marquense

Founded: 1958

Stadium: Estadio Marquesa de la Ensenada, San Marcos (11.000 seats)

Nickname: Los Leones (the Lions)

Media prediction: 11 out of 12 teams

Honours: Not a lot. What I know is that they've been mostly a second tier team in their history, until promoting to the top division in 2000. They've played in two national finals, losing them on both occasions and made one CONCACAF Champions League appearence in 2007, losing in the quarter finals to Mexican side Pachuca.

THE CHALLENGE

As I mostly start saves in random and exotic places, it cannot go untold enough how important @claassen's database is to my fun in playing FM. The challenge will be focused at trying to gain dominance in Guatemala and eventually winning the CONCACAF Champions League by only fielding players coming through the youth ranks of the club. I do allow myself to make transfers, but only if they're necessary in very dire situations and only if those players are born or trained in the San Marcos department, more or less the way @MarcxD's AFC save works with Amsterdam only players. I won't make any signings in the first transfer period, that's for sure. This will be hard enough as we're predicted to finish 11th out of 12, with quite a big gap in quality between the lowest predicted three teams and the other nine. More on that in the next update.

800px-San_Marcos_in_Guatemala_svg.thumb.png.4f5eb35ba14b61130b599459c6a61f1d.png
San Marcos department, the only region my players will eventually be from, has around 1 million inhabitants and roughly twice the size of Greater London 

LEAGUE AND SETUP

I've loaded all twenty Latin American nations' leagues as well as the MLS and the Belize league (as this is necessary for the new international CONCACAF leagues to fully function). I don't know really why I loaded all the leagues, but I guess if something really bad happens in Guatemala, I'll have a way out, but if that happens, I'll at leasy stay in a Central American nation.

The league has your traditional Latin American structure, with an Apertura from July to November and a Clausura from January to May. 12 teams compete and play 22 matches per round, after which the top 6 teams qualify for a playoff. The one best team of the two league champions qualifies for the CONCACAF Champions League (which runs from February to April), the numbers 2 and 3 in the aggregate table qualify for the newly installed CONCACAF League (which runs from August to October, winner also qualifies for the Champions League). In real life, Guatemalan teams are excluded from participation as the government is meddling too much with the local FA, but luckily this is not the case in FM.

Relegation is pretty straightforward. The worst team over 44 matches is relegated, the number 11 plays a playoff against the number 2 of the second tier.

NEXT UPDATE

In the next update, I'll give you a small overview of the situation the club finds itself in.

Edited by Timetxu

PROGRESS TRACKER

65b2f7f5c82ed15494727f0c39f6f2a7.png

Edited by Timetxu

2 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Good luck!

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, endtime said:

Huh, interesting. Can you share a little bit more about Guatemala? 

Sure, what is it that you're specifically interested in? In my next update, I'll shed some light on the team, the facilities and structure with screens (momentarily at the work place).

Ah, maybe something about the country in general, its history, or the town that your team is based in? Would I be safe visiting Guatemala as a tourist?

The personal backstory made this interesting, will keep an eye on this. :) 

56 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Agreed

16 hours ago, endtime said:

Ah, maybe something about the country in general, its history, or the town that your team is based in? Would I be safe visiting Guatemala as a tourist?

I'll get back to this in a very near future update!

15 hours ago, noikeee said:

12 hours ago, sc91 said:

Good story, I like a game where there is an attachment.

Thanks guys! I always have the urge to do an FM save in a country I've just been to, but with this country and its relative obscurity in world football, I had that feeling even more!

Edited by Timetxu

Just trowing this out here before starting to upload all my images but is there anyway to actually get screens posted on this site in a readable format? I've only been able to post teeny weeny screenshots so far...

Edited by Timetxu

1 hour ago, Timetxu said:

Just trowing this out here before starting to upload all my images but is there anyway to actually get screens posted on this site in a readable format? I've only been able to post teeny weeny screenshots so far...

If you're uploading to a site like imgur you should copy image instead of the url, then it should show up full size

Spoiler
9 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Try Gyazo.

8 hours ago, MarcxD said:

If you're uploading to a site like imgur you should copy image instead of the url, then it should show up full size

Combination of these two did the trick, thanks guys!!

PRELIMINARY INFO

CD Marquense it is then... but what have we gotten ourselves into?

THE SQUAD

3c591d5e0d5b316029e51694afaea01a.png1fda7c0a0fcf856c82887bbe5a55bc40.png

89e61a01d5a82635ec28c80f8f431c72.png

Relatively evened oud squad, though I'm not too happy with the lack of depth on the back positions, especially on the left. I'm thinking along the lines of a 3-5-2, but I'm afraid our level of play is too low and get us into trouble in the back. I'll use preseason to see whether 3-5-2 works, or else I'm trying something in the region of a 4-1-2-3 DM Wide. There's a couple of talented young kids in the u18s who could grow into something, but they're definitely not ready for this level yet. Maybe when the results get really bad.

THE BEST TWO PLAYERS

59b55b7f40d84256cabc5cab990e5068.png

b24b4b3d4432c4b4d036195b6aa3973a.png

I've managed quite a lot in Latin America and you always get these things: one or two extremely experienced players who are either old or get in the way of the other star player. Or in my case, both.

DYNAMICS

dd947f6cbbee74f0bc5254bf7cb566e0.png

Meh. The two best together with Joaquín Álvarez are the senior leaders. The rest is just out there. They don't speak too highly of me because of the age and the language barrier thing (although I speak Spanish in real life), so there's that. Note that the J. López under Influential Players is actually José Carlos López and not Jhonathan López.

FINANCES

e0a7cfe3237000a93849c4405a37dd2e.png

Not a lot there... though I'm not all too concerned about this as finances tend to go up quickly in youth development saves. Hope it goes up a bit so I have some freedom with extending the contracts that finish next summer and trying to up the facilities soon. Speaking of facilities, they're actually not all too bad, so the first intake could be fun!

NEXT UP

Preseason and season preview!

fe591d8687fa35897d9da548c133f8cb.png

Real Estelí, Águila and Motagua are teams from Nicaragua, El Salvador and Honduras respectively. The other ones lower league Guatemalan teams. I regard Motagua the highest, in a game where we will stick some feathers up the butt of Joaquín Álvarez, as we say in Dutch.

Edited by Timetxu

724 tickets X 5€/ticket = 3620 € per match (avarage)

3620 €/match X 22 matches = 79640 €/season

Your annual wage budget is 309300 €, this means that you need a lot of money :eek:

Bad team, bad finances, bad league.... I will follow you! :cool:

16 minutes ago, RioImmagina said:

724 tickets X 5€/ticket = 3620 € per match (avarage)

3620 €/match X 22 matches = 79640 €/season

Your annual wage budget is 309300 €, this means that you need a lot of money :eek:

Bad team, bad finances, bad league.... I will follow you! :cool:

Well, it's actually 724 season tickets, so I'm hoping for a little better than that, but it's still not a great place to be. But I guess that's how I like my places ;)

38 minutes ago, Timetxu said:

Well, it's actually 724 season tickets, so I'm hoping for a little better than that, but it's still not a great place to be. But I guess that's how I like my places ;)

In my save they average about 1000 - 1100.

20 hours ago, endtime said:

To get back to this, I made a little overview of what I know about the country:

HISTORY

Guatemala's history is obviously known for its Mayan past. Almost half of the country up to this day has Mayan ancestry and one thirds of the population still speaks a Mayan language on daily basis. However, as opposed to Quechua and the Incan culture in South America, Mayan languages aren't very mutually intelligible, which has led (and still manifests to this day) a great disparity among indigenous groups. Instead of embracing their common Mayan roots, they tend to focus on their own specific tribe and distrust towards the others. From its independence up to the end of the 19th century, Guatemala was ruled in a way remnant of the colonial times and from the beginning of the 20th century, many dictators were installed, mainly favorable to the USA, which has led to huge US influence if it comes to investments and companies. Up to this day, a benchload of land is actually property of US companies, with the local population gaining very little from it. The critical moment in modern day Guatemalan history is the civil war which lasted from 1960 to 1996, which was a conservative rightwing vs. guerrilla leftwing war. Most infamous moment was probably the Guatemalan Genocide in which over 40,000 mostly leftwing militants and indigenous people were killed by the authoritarian government, helped by the US. The problem with this is that it has completely torn apart the society and now, only 20 years later, there's still an incredible amount of distrust among everyone: countryside vs. city, indigenous vs. white, leftwing vs. rightwing, pro US vs. anti US etc. As I told, even within indigenous groups there are feuds stretching back to unremembrable times. It's just one social ****storm to be honest. This situation has led to a huge amount of poverty (highest in Central America) and with Guatemala at a geographically pivotal midway point between Colombia and the US, a harbour for drug traffic. This has led to gang violence with one of the most infamous being the MS-13 who allegedly let you enter their group if you let them kick and punch you senseless for 13 seconds.

ECONOMY

The country is as rich of natural resources as you can imagine, with sugar, coffee and bananas export products number one. Unfortunately, most of these resources are being extracted by foreign (mostly US) companies and the local economy gets very little from it but the soil pollution it leaves. Lots of families migrate through the country to work in sugar fields (with Bacardi one of the infamous human rights violating companies there) or coffee or banana plantations. This hardly earns them anything, so children are forced to work along or sent to Mexico or the US to find work (where they often fall in the hands of human trafficking branches of the MS-13 who have branches set up in cities like Los Angeles). However, it is in a way pretty succesful as remittances are about equal to 2/3 of the national export numbers which has made the local Quetzal currency pretty stable. 

POLITICS

So, most of Guatemalan presidents have been rightwing conservatives backed by the USA. If that isn't bad enough, they're all corrupt. Very corrupt. It just leaves the country in a complete landlock. This has led to the election of comedian Jimmy Morales as their president in a Trump-esque move in 2015. However, he's under suspicion of corruption himself now and the current news is dominated by him trying to kick Iván Velásquez (a Colombian investigator of the UN backed International Commission against Impunity in Guatemala) out of the country. Luckily, Guatemalas supreme court has blocked this in a shock move, so apparently there are institutions to be trusted, although big parts of the judges are corrupt as well. Though I really need to stress there are quite some independents one too (although they face a lot of intimidation).

WOW, THAT SOUNDS HORRIBLE, IS THERE SOMETHING GOOD?

Well, yes. The people are great and very hospitable. They are hugely optimistic (which amazes me after all the stuff they've been through and the corruption in their country). I love how they're still embracing their Mayan culture and that Mayan languages are still actively spoken by so many. The Mayan roots have been preserved quite well with the Temple of Tikal, in the northernmost province of Petén being the number one tourist attraction. Besides that, the old city of Antigua (which was the original capital of the Spanish Kingdom of Guatemala until it was destroyed by an earthquake in 1773 after which the capital moved to the safer valley where Guatemala City is now) is well worth a visit with its colonial charm and many well preserved ruins from the earthquake era. Also, the huge amount of volcanoes is something to be seen, with lake Atitlán and its three surrounding volcanoes a very touristy destination. If you'd ever wanted to visit the country, these are places you want to see. Guatemala City isn't that worthwile as it's very crowded, polluted and highly dangerous with only 3 of its 14 neighbourhoods pretty much safe to go as a tourist. The infrastructure in the country is also horrible with lots of traffic jams, pollution and dangerous mountain roads, so if you want to travel there I'd suggest you do it with a professional travel organisation or either via the roads through the south of the country along the pacific coast as they're safer.

Alright, so this was my short impression of Guatemala. Hope it wasn't too negative and that I was as factual as possible. Through my work I'm obviously slightly biased, but then again, it is quite the country.

Edited by Timetxu

4 hours ago, Timetxu said:

I've managed quite a lot in Latin America and you always get these things: one or two extremely experienced players who are either old or get in the way of the other star player. Or in my case, both.

You could have one as winger, one as inside forward on the other flank. Neither are great at crossing nor finishing, which isn't a great fit for neither role, but I typically really don't mind being well-stacked in that kind of versatile wide player.

1 minute ago, noikeee said:

You could have one as winger, one as inside forward on the other flank. Neither are great at crossing nor finishing, which isn't a great fit for neither role, but I typically really don't mind being well-stacked in that kind of versatile wide player.

That's good advice here, especially in the 4-1-2-3 DM shape I'm often looking for goals. Might even try something asymmetrical down the line.

18 hours ago, endtime said:

Awesome writeup @Timetxu, I love reading in-depth stuff like that :thup:

11 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Awesome stuff so far! I'll definitely be following :) 

Thanks! I love being comprehensive, so don't hesitate to ask for more info!

2017/18 PRESEASON & PREVIEW

c38b50046e706c8732dcf0ebe2f5ef7e.png

We started everything off with a match in which we tried a 3-5-2. While we created enough chances, we were as vulnerable at the back as I feared. I tried some 4 defender formations and the classic 4-2-3-1 Wide worked the best. I'm quite pleased with the way we get the ball into the box. I do fear our defensive line a bit as we'll probably get under a lot of pressure during the season, so hopefully they'll be up for the challenge.

Further we hired two managers who will be focussing on the youth development. I'm quite pleased with the level of attributes of staff we are able to hire, so I'm hoping for a decent first intake.

SEASON PREVIEW

9072ce5174b0baa666909a295cb26328.png

Well, this could be interesting. Newly promoted Sanarate gets predicted 5th and we are expected to fight a relegation battle. I do see Siquinalá as farly inferior to us, so I hope we won't have to focus on the last spot too much. If we can get some good results against Xelajú, Guastatoya and Suchitepéquez, this could all go well.

For those of you unfamiliar to Guatemalan football, Municipal and Comunicaciones are the Big Two teams from the capital, with 30 championships each. There's a couple of other teams with no more than five championships, so you get the general idea. Those two are the teams to beat.

NEXT UP

d857cefb3b02c3d39c64441d25a67b1a.png

July will end with the one game against our rivals Xelajú in the Derby del Occidente. We will travel to the beautifully named city of Quetzaltenango in an attempt to beat an our archrival as well as relegation foes. Very important game to start off with!

JULY 2017

Before we start off, I'll share you my league opener starting XI

bdcf00125d3ca9bb264165ff54bf19b2.png

Which led to:

8b7cf04d89fa2a85076ca7529052d3c7.png

Not the start I had in mind. A truly disheartening defeat in which we dominated midfield play and possession, but couldn't convert it into true chances. Their only solid shot of the game was a counter attack when our attacker was fouled in the box. Awful.

8af7d289e409a93af4077f7352d81ff9.png

We are staying up, we are staying up!

NEXT UP

3767df8f45f209b54223ac39c3767dbf.png

One very busy month!

AUGUST 2017

Eight matches on the cards led to these results:

4bc08b44b9165d8537ac15b833e7ebd7.png

I guess we're not the most entertaining team out there, but it sure is effective. The first matches against Guastatoya and Comunicaciones weren't very good. Both the draw and the loss were fair results, although the 0-1 fell in the last 10 minutes of the match. What struck me most was our inability to keep possession in central midfield. I tweaked around a bit before the matches against Antigua and Suchitepéquez and it worked, with two good come-from-behind draws and many shots created. I realised that the Siquinalá match proved to be very important, so I really wanted to dominate numbers in midfield and decided to let my wingers drop to create a 4-4-1-1, which worked wonders. From that moment on, I've been dropping either my wingers or my AMC, depending on the opposition and that was when the unbeaten streak reached 5 matches. We've been creating a huge amount of shots with the last match against Municipal as a highlight:

61ed2f0eaf157ba7cea79c83ac3686fa.png

We've dominated one of the Big Two. Obviously, we got FM'ed with that 1-2 result. Municipal also had a man sent off in the 80th when we were through on goal, just centimeters away from being fouled inside the penalty area.

One thing I've been noticing is that our 4-4-1-1 or our DM-less wide 4-3-2-1 isn't costing a lot of intensity from our players and from the 50/60th minute, we're absolutely outplaying our opponents physically. Since I've discovered that, I'm trying to adopt a relative containing approach in the first half and a more ferociously attacking one in the second half. We're not scoring a lot of goals, but we do create loads of chances, so I'm hoping that this will lead to more.

456f572dca454a593e82e9f27d6ccf57.png

Slightly bummed out, because that last match should've put us on a playoff spot. Then again, we're showing we shouldn't be to worried about relegation as Sanarate and Malacateco are really struggling. Siquinalá is doing wonders out there.

NEXT UP

ba87265b2e4eff75ab491e47a1dd66c2.png

A short break after which we'll meet teams ranked 11th and 12th. I'm really hoping for 6 points there. Those matches can decide early on this won't be a relegation season. The other fixtures will be slightly harder, because despite their position, Comunicaciones really has some decent players. Further, I want some revenge on Xelajú. Gotta show 'em who's Boss in the West.

Edited by Timetxu

How do you manage such dull football on a 4-2-3-1? :D

Seems to be working though, I think.

2 hours ago, noikeee said:

How do you manage such dull football on a 4-2-3-1? :D

Seems to be working though, I think.

It's probably got something to do with the fact that most of my players aren't really good at playing football.. :lol:

(And it's mostly appearance as we do create quite some chances, we're just horrible at finishing. Our defense is pretty good though).

Edited by Timetxu

SEPTEMBER 2017

1af06e6e96ad7fd37a7ac6a77ac26a84.png

A very mixed bag really. I hoped to start off the month with two wins, but we got properly FM'ed against Malacateco (12 shots for, 9 against, they hadn't even won a single match before). We attacked them from the beginning, but pretty much every shot they had went in. While we were trailing 2-1 with 6 minutes to go, I tried to push it, but of course it let to 2 goals against us. Against Sanarate we did the same thing and suddenly we won easily. I used a striker partnership from that game on with Lucero and Pérez together, which worked wonders in our derby revenge against Xelajú. The match against Guastatoya was a very even one where we were trailing most of the game, but a great Pérez header in the 90th minute snatched us a point. I had high hopes for the Comunicaciones match as they were 11th at the time, but their striker had the day of his life with three absolutely identical goals. Rubbish defending by our CBs. Speaking of rubbish, the last one against Antigua was plain eyeblood.

43170c0802a76f44160f85856597df25.png

I guess it's not really exciting anymore who's going to the playoffs and who's not... I'm really disappointed about this. We were actually 6 points away from the relegation playoff spot (11th) and really looking good to have a run in the playoffs, but then we got two losses against teams ranked 11th and 12th in which the shots just don't go'in as well as a dismantling of Xelajú. I just can't seem to understand this team.

That in combination with:

5b65f9a55034a07cd7f48804da358b0e.png

I'm not very used to the dynamics thing. I guess I've been used to be the nice guy in previous FM's, but apparently you need to kick a boot at someone's face in the dressing room every now and then. My aiming skills aren't that good yet, though.

In more positive news:

14360e3dbddc6f1f7f6ffad2d4d6b5a8.png

Apparently, our academy is even better than I thought. I'm really, really looking forward to intake day (and the moment I can shape these feeble little juniors' brains to my liking and start a revolt against the bitching rest of the team).

NEXT UP

42ba697187d887777d396be569640c7a.png

Teams spread out over the league table. This could go anyway. We really need to beat Cobán and Siquinalá. Suchitepéquez at home should at least give us a point. I want to finish next update well away from the relegation zone. At least the schedule won't be too congested.

Edited by Timetxu

4 hours ago, Timetxu said:

5b65f9a55034a07cd7f48804da358b0e.png

I'm not very used to the dynamics thing. I guess I've been used to be the nice guy in previous FM's, but apparently you need to kick a boot at someone's face in the dressing room every now and then. My aiming skills aren't that good yet, though.

Nah, I've found that the trick is to be very nice (in fact it pays off spectacularly to avoid unhappy players!), the problem is that at the very beginning, manager rep is low and for whatever bizarre reason this makes players very easily turn against you. Just bear it for a while and over time it'll go away.

I'm not entirely sure how bad or how good your team is to comment on whether being 7th is good or bad. :D

5 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Nah, I've found that the trick is to be very nice (in fact it pays off spectacularly to avoid unhappy players!), the problem is that at the very beginning, manager rep is low and for whatever bizarre reason this makes players very easily turn against you. Just bear it for a while and over time it'll go away.

I'm not entirely sure how bad or how good your team is to comment on whether being 7th is good or bad. :D

Thanks for the advice! I guess it's just important to say the "right" things during and after matches? I mean, I can get mad if there's a reason and be nice when they want to be cuddled?

7th is OK if you look at the season preview, but I feel we aren't as bad as the media thinks. I even have some players who are unhappy because they think we're underachieving ....:rolleyes:

48 minutes ago, Timetxu said:

Thanks for the advice! I guess it's just important to say the "right" things during and after matches? I mean, I can get mad if there's a reason and be nice when they want to be cuddled?

7th is OK if you look at the season preview, but I feel we aren't as bad as the media thinks. I even have some players who are unhappy because they think we're underachieving ....:rolleyes:

Nah, I don't mean team talks, they can be useful to boost morale and prevent/manage complacency, but I meant more like don't break promises to players (ever), don't leave unhappyness issues pending.

Closed my PC in hibernation mode, but for some reason restarted when I opened it again. Which led to:

e4f6a01039e406c49e58c6e37690378b.png

Black screen of death... 

I can't go back to find a previous version, so I don't really know what to do now either. The last version of my Windows is from last week, before I even purchased FM, so that probably won't do :(

14 hours ago, Timetxu said:

Closed my PC in hibernation mode, but for some reason restarted when I opened it again. Which led to:

e4f6a01039e406c49e58c6e37690378b.png

Black screen of death... 

I can't go back to find a previous version, so I don't really know what to do now either. The last version of my Windows is from last week, before I even purchased FM, so that probably won't do :(

If there's something worse than crash dumps, it has to be this :/ Already happened to me in this 18 version.

Alright guys, sorry for this but I'm going to have to cancel this save pretty early on. I know I wasn't that far into it yet, but I find it a tough pill to swallow to already start all over again, so I'll be probably be back with another save. 

Ackppt... We all love in fear of this, man. Our condolences...