Central Playmaker + Exploit flanks

I'm having a lot of success with a 4-4-2 at the moment where I'm playing a CM(d) alongside a DLP(s). My TIs are Exploit Left Flank, Exploit Right Flank & Hit Early Crosses.

My question is more of a technical one. I know that playmakers act as a ball magnet for the players around them, do my exploit flank instructions level that off to neutral? It seems that way, which is exactly what I want but does the theory back up what I'm seeing?

2 hours ago, Atarin said:

I'm having a lot of success with a 4-4-2 at the moment where I'm playing a CM(d) alongside a DLP(s). My TIs are Exploit Left Flank, Exploit Right Flank & Hit Early Crosses.

My question is more of a technical one. I know that playmakers act as a ball magnet for the players around them, do my exploit flank instructions level that off to neutral? It seems that way, which is exactly what I want but does the theory back up what I'm seeing?

Kind of. This may not be correct but I think using exploit the flanks does three things: 1. Increases the likelihood of passes to the flanks, 2. Increases the mentality of your wide players and 3. (this is the one i'm unsure of) makes your CM's stay back more often, probably linked to point 2. So in answer to your question, I don't think it levels it off to neutral but they will definitely have less influence on the game. 

It doesn't make it more neutral no. The lucky thing is, the DLP is a deep playmaker so can still involve play on the wings. The dynamic would change dramatically if it was a playmaker high up the pitch though. You're lucky atm because the DLP is still ideally placed to attract the ball and help with the playing it down the wing style.

@Cleon

You talked about a playmaker high up the pitch, but for example, if it was a Advanced Playmaker in the midfield strata?

Having a AP(s) in the midfield, and using the exploit the flanks instructions, would that neutralize/reduce the "magnet effect" of the playmaker? I ask this, because the AP will be, when in possession of the ball, higher in the pitch when in compare with the DLP(s).

11 minutes ago, Keyzer Soze said:

@Cleon

You talked about a playmaker high up the pitch, but for example, if it was a Advanced Playmaker in the midfield strata?

Having a AP(s) in the midfield, and using the exploit the flanks instructions, would that neutralize/reduce the "magnet effect" of the playmaker? I ask this, because the AP will be, when in possession of the ball, higher in the pitch when in compare with the DLP(s).

You cannot reduce people passing to the playmakers. If you want to reduce it, choose a different role and just use a creative player for the role instead. The AP will be further forward so a lot of the time, play will bypass the wings in favour of passing to the playmaker. The TI would have reduced effectiveness and being bypassed, not the other way around.

Archived