Sports Interactive Community
2feet

i play 442 narrow diamond, but opponents 4231 is my nemesis

They would, those high wide players are gonna be a problem in that formation. If you’re sticking with that shape, the best suggestion is to employ carrileros in your central midfield roles. 

In theory it should - 2 cm vs 2 cm, their cam occupies your dm and their 2 wide players are left 1v1 with the fullbacks. So you might have to either consider switching to something that can support your fullbacks or get  your forward players to come back. Ellandroadhero's suggestion may work too but you should watch their 2 cm/dms to see if they are left in pockets of space

This is where position flexibility comes in handy. If two of your front three can play AML/AMR then you can mirror the 4-2-3-1 with a 4-1-2-3 wide. It can be even easier to defend if you have the flexibility to field a 4-1-4-1. Of course, the players you move to the wings need to have the skills required to play effectively out wide.

You can also drop your AMC back to central midfield and use a 4-1-3-2, with the two outer CMs given responsibilities for closing down on the wings.

I use 4-4-2 diamond aswell. I always make my strikers mark the RB and LB. So in essence defending like a 4-1-2-3-0. If still in trouble you could also do a 4-2 (DM)-2-2. I found that 2 DMs crowded out the center and helped defend against AM and IFs 

On 1/1/2018 at 17:47, Overmars said:

This is where position flexibility comes in handy. If two of your front three can play AML/AMR then you can mirror the 4-2-3-1 with a 4-1-2-3 wide. It can be even easier to defend if you have the flexibility to field a 4-1-4-1. Of course, the players you move to the wings need to have the skills required to play effectively out wide.

You can also drop your AMC back to central midfield and use a 4-1-3-2, with the two outer CMs given responsibilities for closing down on the wings.

This is the formation I ended up playing, because I had lots of physical players who couldnt play possession based passing game.

But this formation works very well, and I already discovered you can drop the AML and AMR back to MR and ML and switch to more possession to hold on to leads, its really effective.

But ultimately i want to go to 442 diamond, becaus i like the creative build ups. so ill need CMs with good ability to protect hte FBs, what attributes would be good for this ie to get them to run out to the flanks to protect the FBs? Pace, decisions, positioning? What roles do this?

On 05/01/2018 at 14:41, 2feet said:

This is the formation I ended up playing, because I had lots of physical players who couldnt play possession based passing game.

But this formation works very well, and I already discovered you can drop the AML and AMR back to MR and ML and switch to more possession to hold on to leads, its really effective.

But ultimately i want to go to 442 diamond, becaus i like the creative build ups. so ill need CMs with good ability to protect hte FBs, what attributes would be good for this ie to get them to run out to the flanks to protect the FBs? Pace, decisions, positioning? What roles do this?

You’re thinking of the carrilero role. It’s the perfect central midfield role in this formation.