Barnsley Domination (4-4-2) 2x champions league in a row

Right guys some of you might know my previous 4-4-2's from past fm's, this has always been my preferred formation.

I have developed what seems a excellent 4-4-2 with my Barnsley side, I am now in 2023 so have a pretty good side but would like to see if any of you would give this a try with maybe a lower league side or just on a new save, as i am enjoying my save so much at the minute i don't want to start a new save.

LAst 3 seasons have gone in the prem 3rd, 2nd and 1st with the champions league won the last 2 years!!!

I will add screenshots etc when i get chance but a few pointers that i have found are as follows...

DLF i have found works better with a strong tall guy, i currently have Petagna playing there at the moment.

Your wingers are the most important players, so the best pace, crossing and composure you can get for your team.

Your volante needs to be a bit of an all rounder, stamina, work rate with good passing and technique.

I will add more to the post over the weekend if people start having success with it, obviously might be that over the last few seasons it is just working for my team, but hope not!

Ooh forgot to add i am playing fm touch, not sure if that makes any difference.

tykes domination.fmf

Barnsley_  Overview.png

Barnsley_ Players Players.png

English Premier Division_ History Past Winners.png

European Champions Cup_ History Past Winners.png

On 12/31/2017 at 23:15, christrott79 said:

Enjoying this one, not a bad start either. All very strange losses!

F5D4699E-CA87-4535-BF6D-3CAA8197B817.png

Glad your enjoying it, this fm does throw some strange results in but i guess it makes it more realistic, i went a few games where i thrashed man utd, chelsea, man city and liverpool then lost to crystal palace who were bottom of league without a win and they beat me 3-0!

I am going to give your tactic a go with my Swansea side in my 2023 season. I am a mid table team predicted to finish 8th in the PL. I really like the quick attack your setup provides. It is quite similar to what I've played and it suits my players well, as I have a couple great strikers and great wingers. I've just started, but so far so good!

5a504a40c3bad_ScreenShot041.thumb.PNG.f4067ef46329fd99b3c64bf8bcc57a55.PNG

6 hours ago, stokes_83 said:

I am going to give your tactic a go with my Swansea side in my 2023 season. I am a mid table team predicted to finish 8th in the PL. I really like the quick attack your setup provides. It is quite similar to what I've played and it suits my players well, as I have a couple great strikers and great wingers. I've just started, but so far so good!

5a504a40c3bad_ScreenShot041.thumb.PNG.f4067ef46329fd99b3c64bf8bcc57a55.PNG

Excellent, hopefully works well for you, keep me updated!

I have had consecutive promotions to the Championship with Salford, and loving this save. I have basically had to rely on free transfers and loans all the way through as the club is always in debt due to the stadium capacity of about 5000! upon promotion to the championship the board gave me £1 million to spend which went on one striker so not sure how my season will go, i would be happy with mid-table for now.

Salford City_  Senior Fixtures-2.png

Here is how my 23/24 Swansea season went using your tactic.  I was predicted to finish 8th, finished 6th. No matter what tactic I have, I will always struggle to get top 4 as I can't ever beat the real big clubs consistently. 

table.thumb.PNG.d377d98eeb38589e6876d3fc6e8f4782.PNG

I scored a crazy amount of goals. 15 more than any other team and didn't give up an outrageous amount. I did have on spell where it was tough to stick with the tactic. Check this game out:

Manu.thumb.PNG.9aaa6f3e17f9d549762f4481fb26f7b2.PNG

It was very tough to sit back and watch Man U hit me for 15 goals in 2 games and not change to more defensive tactic. 

My forwards and wingers had crazy years. My DLF led the league in goals and assists!

Pin.thumb.PNG.f5e50a9ce5dc69b6733b57f5ed942209.PNG

My LW tied for the league lead in assists!

Sess.thumb.PNG.d85637a52af777e2b4e974489170e122.PNG

And lots of other great offensive performances:

Stats.thumb.PNG.ea2e6df7d5068a2dc5281098622721b1.PNG

Overall it was a very fun year using your tactic. Great job! I found that my defensive players did a great job winning the ball, and then immediately hoofing it up to the 4 forwards who were lethal. It's a great quick strike attacking tactic. I found that this years game heavily favors overly attacking tactics, and hence why this one in particular is so effective. I had very little success playing wither a defensive or possession type tactic, and it seems that teams getting less of the ball with quicker attacks do far better in this years version. 

Anyways, thanks for the great tactic! I am going to give it a go for at least 1 more year and see how we do next year and in the Euro Cup.

On 11/01/2018 at 23:01, stokes_83 said:

Here is how my 23/24 Swansea season went using your tactic.  I was predicted to finish 8th, finished 6th. No matter what tactic I have, I will always struggle to get top 4 as I can't ever beat the real big clubs consistently. 

table.thumb.PNG.d377d98eeb38589e6876d3fc6e8f4782.PNG

I scored a crazy amount of goals. 15 more than any other team and didn't give up an outrageous amount. I did have on spell where it was tough to stick with the tactic. Check this game out:

Manu.thumb.PNG.9aaa6f3e17f9d549762f4481fb26f7b2.PNG

It was very tough to sit back and watch Man U hit me for 15 goals in 2 games and not change to more defensive tactic. 

My forwards and wingers had crazy years. My DLF led the league in goals and assists!

Pin.thumb.PNG.f5e50a9ce5dc69b6733b57f5ed942209.PNG

My LW tied for the league lead in assists!

Sess.thumb.PNG.d85637a52af777e2b4e974489170e122.PNG

And lots of other great offensive performances:

Stats.thumb.PNG.ea2e6df7d5068a2dc5281098622721b1.PNG

Overall it was a very fun year using your tactic. Great job! I found that my defensive players did a great job winning the ball, and then immediately hoofing it up to the 4 forwards who were lethal. It's a great quick strike attacking tactic. I found that this years game heavily favors overly attacking tactics, and hence why this one in particular is so effective. I had very little success playing wither a defensive or possession type tactic, and it seems that teams getting less of the ball with quicker attacks do far better in this years version. 

Anyways, thanks for the great tactic! I am going to give it a go for at least 1 more year and see how we do next year and in the Euro Cup.

Wow great feedback, i have had days trying to improve the defensive aspect of my tactic but it always has a big impact on the attacking intent, i am like you just have to take a thrashing from one of the big teams every now and again on the chin!

I would love someone to hopefully improve the defensive part of it as i have failed, but imo this years fm just doesn't allow great defending unless you have the best defenders available.

I am currently playing a long term Salford save and back to back promotions up to the prem and now in my second year i sit 4th so got to be pleased with it.

Been working on something a little different to the above tactic as i was getting disappointed with how the strikers and in particular the full backs were playing, which i found not just on my tactic but any other that i have downloaded and given a try. I know its easy on this fm to make a tactic using 3 strikers so deffo didn't want to go down that road and stuck to my principles with a 4-4-2/4-2-4.

It is playing some of the best football i have seen in this fm so i will keep testing over this season and if all goes well i will make its own thread as i am sure it is going to deserve it!

Tottenham v Salford_  Review.png

Salford City_  Senior Fixtures-3.png

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the results form my 2nd season. You mention that you are having issues with the strikers, not me! They are banging them in at a ridiculous rate. 

Predicted to finish 7th, and finished 6th. Almost made the champions league through league qual, was 1 goal short of getting there in the final game. 

5a71e5607dcc7_24-25Table.thumb.PNG.56ac0121ebc76a47b05ab6156d46f5f9.PNG

Check out my goals for! This has happened both years I used this tactic. Just smoked everyone!

5a71e5a21f511_24-25TableGF.thumb.PNG.02d3a8914c98335dc62f1f0b4aa1fc56.PNG

I won the Euro Cup. And check out the score in the final, LOL! 

5a71e5ce97d0b_EuroCupFinal10-0.thumb.PNG.9fd53b42e4d348aea46a8c84dc6b1a03.PNG

I'm gonna give her a go for a 3rd year, this team in the Champions League!

Archived