Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
tedthelabrador

FM17 - How important is work rate for pressing teams?

I'm trying to construct a pressing team in the Scottish Championship and I'm finding it really hard to buy good players with high work rate. Should I prioritise players with good general attributes but with ok workrate (say around 10-11) or try to purchase ok players who have good workrate (14+)?

Also, a bonus question: Do those of you who play a pressing-focussed game set tackling to hard? Or do you just leave it at the basic level?

Work rate is important sure, but don't just focus on that.  Determination, Stamina, Aggression can also play a part.

And pressing isn't about tackling, so no need to set it to hard.

Work rate is vital for a high pressing system. Stamina and Aggression as well. Imagine a Defensive Forward or a Box-to-Box Midfielder who don't want to run, that'll never work well...

1 hour ago, tedthelabrador said:

Oh, I see. Out of interest, when is hard tackling useful?

Sorry I was a bit brief.  Pressing is more to do with forcing opponents into making errors - closing them down quickly to pressure them into offloading the ball before they are ready to.  ok it can also result in tackles, but it's more about forcing errors.

Hard tackling is something I never use or feel the need to use.  It could be useful against opponents that lack Bravery perhaps or if you want to play a super aggressive game.  But you'll need players with excellent tackling skills and definitely players who are not dirty (dirtiness is a hidden attribute, check your coach report for that).