Constantly missing tap-ins

First time contributor but am getting past the point of tearing my hair out with players constantly missing tap ins.

For context I'm playing as Liverpool and currently in Season 3, in nearly every game I'm taking 20-30 shots and will generally concede from 1 shot on target against.  However my main gripe isn't just the chance conversion but the type of chances, my inside forwards and wingers will play the ball across the goal line and my strikers or attacking players (Dybala/Firmino/Verratti/Dele Alli) will all just miss these simple tap ins.  They can hit it wide, over the bar, straight back to the keeper, anything except the simple tap into an open goal.

Is this an issue anyone else is having?  I would normally adjust tactics if it was just random shots without creating any meaningful chances but this is constant missing of open goals for over 18 months.  This has happened when playing a 4-3-3 with 2 IF's and an AF, with a 4-4-2 with an AF and DF up front, and a 5-2-3

The AI is just BS with chance conversion, IMO it's just something you have to get used to as it's been this way for years.  

I've just lost my last two games, conceded 4 goals, the opposition to score those 4 goals had ZERO clear cut chances and TWO half chances, in the same two games I had NINE clear cut chances and EIGHT half chances, yet I only get 2 goals from that. Despite my forward players being better than the oppositions at finishing, and in better form and in better morale.

I also had another home game lost earlier in the year, 0-1, where I had 6 clear cut chances and 7 half chances, no goals, the opposition scored their only goal from 2 clear cut with a striker than had finishing of 11, composure 11, technique 11. So of course he'll take his only chance in the game. 

Basically the AI just effectively cheats against human players.  it's not called getting 'FM'd' for nothing. 

26 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

The AI is just BS with chance conversion, IMO it's just something you have to get used to as it's been this way for years.  

I've just lost my last two games, conceded 4 goals, the opposition to score those 4 goals had ZERO clear cut chances and TWO half chances, in the same two games I had NINE clear cut chances and EIGHT half chances, yet I only get 2 goals from that. Despite my forward players being better than the oppositions at finishing, and in better form and in better morale.

I also had another home game lost earlier in the year, 0-1, where I had 6 clear cut chances and 7 half chances, no goals, the opposition scored their only goal from 2 clear cut with a striker than had finishing of 11, composure 11, technique 11. So of course he'll take his only chance in the game. 

Basically the AI just effectively cheats against human players.  it's not called getting 'FM'd' for nothing. 

It's called that because people like yourself don't know what your talking about and make myths up, then attach labels to them.

Hi Cleon, 

Would you have any advice to correct it?  Again, I've tried diff strategies to combat the types of chances being created.  I know 1 v 1's aren't as clear a chance anyway as in real life the keeper would save 2/3rd's of the time however I just can't explain the sheer number of misses from 6 yard box tap ins when the ball has already passed the keeper. And I'm not a lower league team with a poor finisher, I have Dybala consistently missing these with a finishing/anticipation/composure all 17 or above.

1 hour ago, Rusty007 said:

First time contributor but am getting past the point of tearing my hair out with players constantly missing tap ins.

For context I'm playing as Liverpool and currently in Season 3, in nearly every game I'm taking 20-30 shots and will generally concede from 1 shot on target against.  However my main gripe isn't just the chance conversion but the type of chances, my inside forwards and wingers will play the ball across the goal line and my strikers or attacking players (Dybala/Firmino/Verratti/Dele Alli) will all just miss these simple tap ins.  They can hit it wide, over the bar, straight back to the keeper, anything except the simple tap into an open goal.

Is this an issue anyone else is having?  I would normally adjust tactics if it was just random shots without creating any meaningful chances but this is constant missing of open goals for over 18 months.  This has happened when playing a 4-3-3 with 2 IF's and an AF, with a 4-4-2 with an AF and DF up front, and a 5-2-3

Probably worth uploading a few clips to illustrate the instances & maybe the match pkm for few of the examples as that would allow others to get a clearer idea of the extent of your perceived finishing issues & some idea no possible causes.

Of course it also a good idea to post details of you tactics with added info on what, if any changes to make during matches when you identify that your players are being wasteful in front of goal, also worth not neglecting the defensive side to help lower the risk of conceding off counter attacks although that might end up being a natural benefit of addressing the attacking approach you take. 

1 minute ago, Cleon said:

It's called that because people like yourself don't know what your talking about and make myths up, then attach labels to them.

Make myths up? You can't observe myths and record them in statistics. 

I can show you a dozen screenshots of massively one sided games where the AI oppo score from 1/2, sometimes zero decent chances whilst in form and good strikers miss tap ins and shots from 6 yards over and over, and I'm sure many other players can as well.  Once a season I can deal with, happens in real life, 4 or 5 times a season is BS. 

Statistics are statistics and like I said I went through a whole season of matches looking at the number of chances created by my team vs those of the AI against me and my average was needing around 3 times the amount of good chances to score the same amount of goals.  Despite my strikers being on par or better than the best in the league.

I watch my games, mixing between extended and key highlights, I see the quality of the chances I create and the amount of them, and I see the AI be more clinical time and time again from similar chances. So unless the ME is lying to me and showing me something that is not actually happening then it is no myth at all. 

You can call it what you like, but it's utter BS to claim I don't know what I am talking about when I am seeing it with my own eyes and have the statistics. 

You are not a dev, you don't make the game, so just because you are good at tactics does not suddenly mean you have some in depth knowledge of how the game works behind the scenes. People attach labels to it because they observe something that is inexplicable and has no logic or reason behind it. 

14 minutes ago, Rusty007 said:

Hi Cleon, 

Would you have any advice to correct it?  Again, I've tried diff strategies to combat the types of chances being created.  I know 1 v 1's aren't as clear a chance anyway as in real life the keeper would save 2/3rd's of the time however I just can't explain the sheer number of misses from 6 yard box tap ins when the ball has already passed the keeper. And I'm not a lower league team with a poor finisher, I have Dybala consistently missing these with a finishing/anticipation/composure all 17 or above.

Can you upload some clips? That way I can give better advice.

2 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

Make myths up? You can't observe myths and record them in statistics. 

I can show you a dozen screenshots of massively one sided games where the AI oppo score from 1/2, sometimes zero decent chances whilst in form and good strikers miss tap ins and shots from 6 yards over and over, and I'm sure many other players can as well.  Once a season I can deal with, happens in real life, 4 or 5 times a season is BS. 

Statistics are statistics and like I said I went through a whole season of matches looking at the number of chances created by my team vs those of the AI against me and my average was needing around 3 times the amount of good chances to score the same amount of goals.  Despite my strikers being on par or better than the best in the league.

I watch my games, mixing between extended and key highlights, I see the quality of the chances I create and the amount of them, and I see the AI be more clinical time and time again from similar chances. So unless the ME is lying to me and showing me something that is not actually happening then it is no myth at all. 

You can call it what you like, but it's utter BS to claim I don't know what I am talking about when I am seeing it with my own eyes and have the statistics. 

You are not a dev, you don't make the game, so just because you are good at tactics does not suddenly mean you have some in depth knowledge of how the game works behind the scenes. People attach labels to it because they observe something that is inexplicable and has no logic or reason behind it. 

I actually do have in depth knowledge of how the game works behind the scenes, In fact I'd say I was one of only a handful :brock:

For everything you claim and the stats from your own game, I can show the opposite from my saves and me doing exactly what the AI can do to you. Which would then mean that the AI doesn't actually FM you and cheat like you claimed, which is utter BS.

6 minutes ago, Cleon said:

Can you upload some clips? That way I can give better advice.

I actually do have in depth knowledge of how the game works behind the scenes, In fact I'd say I was one of only a handful :brock:

For everything you claim and the stats from your own game, I can show the opposite from my saves and me doing exactly what the AI can do to you. Which would then mean that the AI doesn't actually FM you and cheat like you claimed, which is utter BS.

Of course of you do.......

Again you can claim BS all you like, but I call BS right back at you because what I observe is what I observe and there is zero logic to it. When you see basically exact same chances but lesser players are more clinical for the AI then people are going to attach labels to it because it annoys them and makes zero sense. 

1 hour ago, Rusty007 said:

I'd do the aforementioned suggestions and upload screenshots. Although maybe post in a new thread as this one is at risk of being derailed by bickering which is distracting from your OP.

8 minutes ago, dan_bre_1988 said:

I'd do the aforementioned suggestions and upload screenshots. Although maybe post in a new thread as this one is at risk of being derailed by bickering which is distracting from your OP.

Actual clips or PKM’s would be more helpful than screenshots, as we can watch the clips then from all different angles.

Hi Guys, 

I've added 3 that I've recorded beforehand and sent to friends (we're in a network game so was highlighting some of the chances missed)

For the Verratti miss it was a 4-4-2, wide player Versaci (youth gen) was in an AMR position as a winger, Verratti was DLP playing a counter mentality

For the Dybala miss after the Firmino miss it's self explanatory

For the Dybala miss from Jose Gaya cross, it was the same formation and set up as the Verratti one.  (I was playing Man City and then Man Utd straight after each other so had a counter attack setup for both)

If you need any more info then let me know! And thanks for the input

VID-20171218-WA0010.mp4

VID-20171228-WA0016.mp4

VID-20171228-WA0018.mp4

5 hours ago, Cleon said:

I'm not going to waste more "energy" on this, but whoever is still doing, this "BS" further deserves battling for the simple fact that it's the other way around. AI is poor, end of story. More hilarious is naturally the other end -- when they have half their side on defend duty for almost the entire season and have an average shot conversion displayed in their team reports of 5-6 %. :D

In most of such cases for the player it's a mix of:

- perception bias
- Some ****** tactical decisionis that compress the space even more than AI (yes, possible)
- AI managers traditionally being the only ones in the save who would apply extreme defensive tactics killingn space in their box -- not because they're the only ones who could mind.
- Lacking feedback on all fronts (in particularly related to chance expectations)
- Depending on the release, some poor finishing decisions affecting every side in the save -- however  if you create more, guess what's going to happen more (sides creating the most generally missing the most as such happens even in football, mind).

The last time I had collected a few new numbres (left me, right AI), the AI needed 11 shots to score, my side 8. And I barely managed much. :( The AI is one of the prime reasons I'm not going to upgrade to FM 18 full, investing my gaming time elsewhere for the time being. That said, on FM16 or 17 you could totally lol the overly aggressive d-lines of AI time and time again, they'd never combat or be able to spot anything. The way AI works, if they concede the 0-1, in particular a top team, they typically go even more stupidly aggressive. With such I could live -- with tactical decisions that to me are a downgrade from FM 13(!) though not much. Not sure what's to be gained from random clips though. Anyway, keep fighting the good fight. :thup:

3xFuHjt.jpg

10 hours ago, Rusty007 said:

Hi Guys, 

I've added 3 that I've recorded beforehand and sent to friends (we're in a network game so was highlighting some of the chances missed)

For the Verratti miss it was a 4-4-2, wide player Versaci (youth gen) was in an AMR position as a winger, Verratti was DLP playing a counter mentality

For the Dybala miss after the Firmino miss it's self explanatory

For the Dybala miss from Jose Gaya cross, it was the same formation and set up as the Verratti one.  (I was playing Man City and then Man Utd straight after each other so had a counter attack setup for both)

If you need any more info then let me know! And thanks for the input

VID-20171218-WA0010.mp4

VID-20171228-WA0016.mp4

VID-20171228-WA0018.mp4

Can you please upload the actual PKM's rather than edited clips, as the quality isn't that great. Plus we can look into the issue better from different angles etc. 

13 hours ago, tajj7 said:

People attach labels to it because they observe something that is inexplicable and has no logic or reason behind it. 

There is logic and reason behind it, you just haven't seen it yet.  Start a new thread, post your detailed system along with common examples of problems and some of these "statistics" you are seeing and I guarantee somebody will be able to show you where you're going wrong.

Cleon is 100% correct to call you out for creating / adding to a myth when you say "basically the AI just cheats".  The AI has exactly the same tools as human managers and there is no code built into the game to give the AI some sort of unfair advantage.  You only say "cheat" because you don't understand what is happening.

17 hours ago, tajj7 said:

Absolutely not. Watch more games of AI vs AI it happens to them just as much as it happens to you. It's simply part of the game to keep a certain balance and punish teams that overextend.

A tip would be to go more defensive against weak opponents. Sounds counter intuitive but it really helps or at least it did help me to limit these games where you lose to some counter attack. While I always played Control or Attacking against weaker teams and like you had 20+ shots every game getting hit on the counter happened quite often. Now I approach these games much more carefully, try to keep the ball and not lose it in a dangerous situation. I generate only half the amount of shots but usually end up with a much higher conversion rate.

10 hours ago, anorthernboy said:

Did you get any responses to the PKM?

No matter how this is going to be tuned, most of the chances will be fluffed. Defending is easier than attacking, frustration and randomness are in the DNA of this sports like in barely any other, and football pundity often exaggerates. In the above pkm there is two situations you could class a tap-in. The first is indeed badly missed (Dybala at 22). The other (Coutinho at 70) is scored (it's also arguably the second best chance of the match. Pellegri at #5 I don't consider all that easy personally as he's pretty far out wide. In none of the situations, the goal is "just open". If the keeper had anticipated Coutinho earlier and came off his line, he could have  arguably made life harder for his at the goal.

The "emergency" thing to check if the conversion was really that bad is.
Going into team report -> stats and look for the number for shot conversion. This can be compared to opponents too upon requesting a team reporting from your staff (they would file such a report for the next opponent automatically).
Going into the forward's profile, where it also displays numbers for shot conversions. Each forward has those displayed, opponents also.
Alternativelly, you could go through each match, same as me in the above graphics. That requires a bit of work though.

As argued, there's a lot of perception issues here at work, universally during any release, at the current level of AI anways [and SI could code it to be better, but then the myths wouldincrease). As that seems in generally naturally a more aggressive tactic, if opponents are through, they may have it a little easier than against, say, this. As Liverpool you generally will face a few more cautious opposition, usually so may rarely face opponents that a) even try to get 20 shots off. Let alone b) ever scoring from the inevitably few of them (and be it through a bit of luck).

I've accepted long shots flying off at ridiculous angles is part of the match engine. Brady for Burnley had a cracker against me yesterday. Running towards the corner flag and shot straight at it. I watch a large % of each game and I see some truly gobsmacking things.

Like Danny Ings clean through in the 18yrd box and decides to pass to my leftack way out on the wing. Of course he crosses it and the keeper carries it over the line for a corner. The cross was terrible and was actually going for a goal kick. The commentary says my left back tried to catch the keeper out. Why when I had 2 unmarked players in the box?

I play commentary only now. 

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 09:35, herne79 said:

There is logic and reason behind it, you just haven't seen it yet.  Start a new thread, post your detailed system along with common examples of problems and some of these "statistics" you are seeing and I guarantee somebody will be able to show you where you're going wrong.

Cleon is 100% correct to call you out for creating / adding to a myth when you say "basically the AI just cheats".  The AI has exactly the same tools as human managers and there is no code built into the game to give the AI some sort of unfair advantage.  You only say "cheat" because you don't understand what is happening.

It's not that I agree with Tajj in regard to AI cheating. Obviously it doesn't work like that but I do agree that I as a human player need to create more chances to score than the AI. That is a fact which I can back up with the stats from my save and from every game I play. My players missing easy chances, having much more clear cut chances than the AI etc.

What I will not accept is your claim that my players are missing chances because my system is not good when it is that system that put the players in the goal scoring situation in the first place. So if my team makes 5 clear cut chances and scores one or zero goals, how is that the fault of my tactical set up?? And how do I not understand what is happening? If you are right, than I will say that the representation of the match in the ME is completely messed up.

12 minutes ago, luka_ said:

It's not that I agree with Tajj in regard to AI cheating. Obviously it doesn't work like that but I do agree that I as a human player need to create more chances to score than the AI. That is a fact which I can back up with the stats from my save and from every game I play. My players missing easy chances, having much more clear cut chances than the AI etc.

What I will not accept is your claim that my players are missing chances because my system is not good when it is that system that put the players in the goal scoring situation in the first place. So if my team makes 5 clear cut chances and scores one or zero goals, how is that the fault of my tactical set up?? And how do I not understand what is happening? If you are right, than I will say that the representation of the match in the ME is completely messed up.

1)  Mind the language, we treat this as a family forum.

2)  Please show me where I make the claim that your players are missing chances because your system is not good.  You haven't been involved in the discussion up until you made this post so how can I possibly know what your system is like?

9 hours ago, luka_ said:

That actually just proves that there is something wrong tactically, since the game makes no distinction between you or the AI. 

In an attacking sense, all we can do as FM players is create good goalscoring situations for our forwards, it's a simple as that. Yes if a player is rushing their shots then that's a tactical issue which needs looking at, but overall if you keep on creating good chances then eventually you will score. Look at Liverpool a month or two ago, they created several chances but couldn't put the ball in the back of the net, it happens from time to time. 

Yup, big chances are bottled, no less as most of them still see the forward in the disadvantage. If your players are continously missing easy chances it's either a perception thing -- or you are overrating the chances you get, and the game lacks that feedback to show you. It's that simple. There's copious signs that football may be more random then the game either way. I'd be  interested in such a stat breakdown of the matches, as you claim you have done it. Similar to what I did in the above. Nobody is claiming the opposite because of being dismissive. But because there have been numerous revealing threads and quality discussions in the past. Because if there is bad finishing, it would affect all teams in the save. Plus because there's players that never much suffer here, outconverting AI by huge ridiculous amounts consistenly (perhaps even, unrealistically so). I've seen some conversion posted by @Cleon, and his man was almost off the charts, scoring a goal almost every 2.5th shot on target, with 70% of attempts being on target in general (long-term!).
2.png

Compare this to what this AI that supposedly needs fewer shots to score does to Messi. Just doesn't compare. It's actually distracting from AI issues, in a sense.

Messi.png Du bist bereits registriert? Hier anmelden  

I think added feedback is vital, no less as pretty much anything in the game would point out if you would drop deep/keep it tight yourself that your opponent was just "unlucky" to not score (more) of its many shots, when more oftenly, that's just not the case. Still anybody who denied this was also bad advice at playing this. I may also add that the one poster who went with the AI conspiracies seems to oft outscore AI by some good margins himself -- nothing unusual here either@tajj7Funnily enough, it's sometimes the most successful players who simply can't take the odd point drop on the chin. So they aren't merely spreading bad theory, keep others from understanding the game, have a weird idea about football and distract from game and AI issues -- they're also sore losers. I'd suspect whoever upvoted his post to be of a similar ilk, no less as it's unlikely anybody spending any time in these subforums should have overly trouble here. Nothing new either. It may even be bad game design that you can have such a fundamentally wrong idea how a game worked and still overperform. It for sure relates to actually AI issues talked about, as contrary to all posted by the likes of tajj , it just isn't all that clever -- and it often suffers because of it. But with improved AI the fun may really start... guaranteed.

4 hours ago, Svenc said:

Nothing new either. It may even be bad game design that you can have such a fundamentally wrong idea how a game worked and still overperform. It for sure relates to actually AI issues talked about, as contrary to all posted by the likes of tajj , it just isn't all that clever -- and it often suffers because of it. But with improved AI the fun may really start... guaranteed.

The irony of someone complaining that the AI cheats after getting that many back to back promotions makes my morning. You are right about one thing though. Sometimes you just have to take defeat on the chin, and move on. I once lost a Champs League final to a goal that was clearly offside, after my players playing out of their skin. I was irritated (to put it mildly) but it happens. Move on. Try again. On the other end of the scale, I once knocked Partizan out of the UCL with TNS, in a game where they battered me all match, and I scored an away goal in the 89th minute with my second shot on target. You win some, you lose some.

3 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

The irony of someone complaining that the AI cheats after getting that many back to back promotions makes my morning. You are right about one thing though.

As argued, nothing new on the "AI conspiracy" front. There is one guy that has tormented these forums with the wildest AI theories under different alias -- despite overachieving by ridiculous amounts on every release. It may be of note that he does this despite his football ideas being simplistic (let's just say that most of this threads consist of final match stats ad infinitum -- unfortunately, match stats of the FM kind, which are lacking). In my ideal FM, every such player would be burnt a few additionally times. As it is, they aren't asking questions. Their dramatically overachievement only confirms them in their perception that they were randomly "punished for being too good", and similar reasonings. Which smacks of hubris right there. It couldn't possibly be a bug. It's a frustration trap either way -- as literally any hiccup could easily be explained that way. And the chance of understanding this game some drop down to zero. Once you start down the cheating AI path, forever it will dominate your FM destiny, frustrate you it will.

Generally though, many players outconvert AI without realizing -- or are about onpar. I'd be shocked if anybody posting here would show significantly worse if going through the save -- match by match. Plus eyeing a few team report stats, where, to this day, it is exclusively AI that gets sides down to converting every 15-20th shot (5-6th on target) too. Not one-off. Average.

yBLEYnn.jpg

1 hour ago, sporadicsmiles said:

The irony of someone complaining that the AI cheats after getting that many back to back promotions makes my morning. You are right about one thing though. Sometimes you just have to take defeat on the chin, and move on. I once lost a Champs League final to a goal that was clearly offside, after my players playing out of their skin. I was irritated (to put it mildly) but it happens. Move on. Try again. On the other end of the scale, I once knocked Partizan out of the UCL with TNS, in a game where they battered me all match, and I scored an away goal in the 89th minute with my second shot on target. You win some, you lose some.

And how many times have you experienced the TNS scenario and how many times the CL final scenario? In my experience with the game(not just FM18 but all of FM's and CM's since forever) it would be something like 1 TNS to 10 CL final..

3 hours ago, luka_ said:

And how many times have you experienced the TNS scenario and how many times the CL final scenario? In my experience with the game(not just FM18 but all of FM's and CM's since forever) it would be something like 1 TNS to 10 CL final..

I did it twice with TNS in the UCL, albeit not with such a late, dramatic equaliser the second time. I knew I could not live with the other teams, so I shut up shop and played for a counter goal and some luck. I did get absolutely battered doing that against Ludogorets (5-0), but it is a risky tactic if the opposition breaks through and you are really much worse. In the next job I took in that save, I won the Croatian cup with NK Zagreb (who were in the second division), beating a couple of first division clubs on the way. Although I was not so blatantly defensive in most of those games (since the relative strength was not so bad), I played to take advantage of the other side over committing to score goals. I then got a credible 2-2 draw with Olympiakos in my European qualifier the next year - you guessed it doing the same (and got pasted 3-0 in the other game).

The thing is, I only see those things frequently because I have at times played in a way that will encourage such things to occur. I do not care if I only create 2 chances so long as they are excellent chances. I do not mind when other sides do the same to me. I know what they are trying to do, and fair play if they do it. When playing as TNS in the Welsh leagues, almost every team was defensive against me. Very rarely did it work for them. There were a couple of games I drew 1-1 to a single counter that worked, and I lost a few games where I rotated. You will never see this happen to your side if you are not looking for it though, that is the point. That is why people are aggrieved they see the AI manage it but cannot themselves.

Random bad luck that costs me games? Happens a lot. Just like in real life. I see it happen for my side just as much - the UCL final one was just an extreme example given the importance of the match. Anyway, there is a perception bias built in. People will tend to see the goals their team score as through excellent play, good tactics, players doing nice things, and rarely as a bug. If people see defensive errors, they assumed that their own players caused them with good play. Conversely, when the AI scores, people do not want to blame their tactics, their players, or good AI play forcing a mistake. They see bugs, cheating, bad coding, and the like. I hate to lose as much as the next guy, and I get annoyed when my players do nonsense. But I always, always watch how the AI has scored to see if there is anything to learn from it. Why was my defender rushing out? Why was the FB not in position? How come there are two unmarked men in my penalty area? Why did I concede to the only shot on target in the match?

There are two ways to deal with defeat. Moan about it and blame everyone else, or learn from it to stop it happening again. I am the latter, and many people are the former.

Archived