Sports Interactive Community
maxchaplin55

Beat City Chelsea Arsenal, lose to Huddersfield Swansea

Hi guys, 

As the title suggests I am doing really well (with Watford) against the top sides in the Prem, losing only to Manchester United after playing United, Arsenal, Chelsea and City. However, I am struggling against the weaker sides in the prem, seeing me pick up huge defeats to Huddersfield (3-1), West Brom (4-1)  and Newcastle (3-0). 

5a42409510523_ScreenShot2017-12-26at12_15_53.thumb.png.47b639e8e1c3370df4baa7a3c9e9100a.png

I understand big teams play differently than smaller teams and you will need to play differently against them. However, I currently have one tactic because I cannot see what I need to tweak when playing against smaller teams. This is my tactic.

5a42412da0412_ScreenShot2017-12-26at12_31_18.thumb.png.abb50b7bf4b32b022a3a3c9c47cde39c.png 

In the Chelsea game, I went 3-0 down but I thought I was playing well, so I left it, and we came back to win 4-3. We played so well I kept the tactic the same against Palace, and as you can see I drew 3-3. I felt I allowed them to put unnecessary pressure on us, with Joel Ward (their DR) getting 2 assists. So in the next game against West Brom, a side I see to be similar to Palace, with a big centre forward, I changed my defensive line from deeper to higher, to try and avoid boxes being put in the box - lost 4-1. Next I faced City, accepted I am underdogs, so went back to a deep line, played magnificently, and won 4-0... 4-0. After thrashing City, I felt it'd be foolish to change the tactic when facing newly promoted Huddersfield town, wrong. I lost 3-1 at home. One of their goal was a corner and one counter from my attacking free kick. 

Is this just unlucky? Or do I just need some tips on how I could adapt my tactic and have a slightly different way of playing against the weaker teams? 

Please let me know what you think or if you need any other details I have missed out. Thank-you. 

What type of goals are you conceding? 

Two WBs could leave you exposed to counters down the flanks when trying to break teams down. This would only be evident when camped in the oppositions half, which you probably aren't against top teams. Especially with a Raum who wouldn't offer any defensive assistance on the left flank. 

I would try switching to FBs and see how that works.

Could also do with more bite in midfield. A BWM alongside your CMa,  or a DM instead of an Anchor man. 

Other option is to keep this one for the top sides then create a new system for weaker teams. Maybe drop the Anchorman into defence to make a 3, allowing your WBs to roam ahead with more security. Then change Hughes to a holding DLPd

Looks like you score in most games but struggle to keep a clean sheet so thats where I would focus your attention.

Against big clubs they're likely trying to attack you, but against equal or worse clubs they're probably a bit more cautious.  Your then throwing players forward and they're sitting back they're likely hitting you on the counter.  Is that what you see happening?

Whilst you have an Anchorman to shield the DC pair, both FBs are going to get high up the field.  How good at covering those spaces are the players in that defensive triangle?  Could you make one of them more cautious without ruining your attacking play?  I'm looking at the left side since you have both wide players on attack duty.  I'd try a FB-S ideally, maybe a WB-S if you need him to make more runs forward.

You can find spaces against bigger teams. But smaller teams sit deep and they don’t leave spaces. So you need to crack them. 

RMD IF DF and CMa attacks same area. I think centre of the opposition third will be overcrowded and you dont have any space creater here. I dont know how exactly play the defensive forward but changing the role to DLF can create space for RMD and IF. Also instead of using CMa you can use B2B. B2B can be a late runner to crack opposition defence. Finally, your left wing is open to attacks cause you have 2 attacking players there and no cover. When you camp on the opposition half, you are open to counter attacks through your left wing. You can try some role changes and see what happens. 

7 hours ago, dannyfc said:

What type of goals are you conceding? 

Two WBs could leave you exposed to counters down the flanks when trying to break teams down. This would only be evident when camped in the oppositions half, which you probably aren't against top teams. Especially with a Raum who wouldn't offer any defensive assistance on the left flank. 

I would try switching to FBs and see how that works.

Could also do with more bite in midfield. A BWM alongside your CMa,  or a DM instead of an Anchor man. 

Other option is to keep this one for the top sides then create a new system for weaker teams. Maybe drop the Anchorman into defence to make a 3, allowing your WBs to roam ahead with more security. Then change Hughes to a holding DLPd

Mainly crosses, which does back up your points. I like you idea of changing to a back 3 when playing against smaller sides. Seems odd to be effectively setting up more defensively against worse teams, but I guess it makes sense. 

I will keep an eye on the midfield three, I am fairly happy with how they are playing at the moment though. 

7 hours ago, summatsupeer said:

Looks like you score in most games but struggle to keep a clean sheet so thats where I would focus your attention.

Against big clubs they're likely trying to attack you, but against equal or worse clubs they're probably a bit more cautious.  Your then throwing players forward and they're sitting back they're likely hitting you on the counter.  Is that what you see happening?

Whilst you have an Anchorman to shield the DC pair, both FBs are going to get high up the field.  How good at covering those spaces are the players in that defensive triangle?  Could you make one of them more cautious without ruining your attacking play?  I'm looking at the left side since you have both wide players on attack duty.  I'd try a FB-S ideally, maybe a WB-S if you need him to make more runs forward.

I didn't concede however, against Man City and Arsenal! Bizarre. 

Yes I have realised I am mostly conceding counters on the wings. I have Holebas LB who's attacking influence would be affected if I changed to support, which is why I had my LCM on support (and hold position), but you have made me consider looking at changing LCM to a defence duty, perhaps. 

6 hours ago, mkkadi said:

You can find spaces against bigger teams. But smaller teams sit deep and they don’t leave spaces. So you need to crack them. 

RMD IF DF and CMa attacks same area. I think centre of the opposition third will be overcrowded and you dont have any space creater here. I dont know how exactly play the defensive forward but changing the role to DLF can create space for RMD and IF. Also instead of using CMa you can use B2B. B2B can be a late runner to crack opposition defence. Finally, your left wing is open to attacks cause you have 2 attacking players there and no cover. When you camp on the opposition half, you are open to counter attacks through your left wing. You can try some role changes and see what happens. 

I didn't even think at how my front line are most likely attacking an overcrowded middle against smaller teams. The reason for me choosing a DF rather than a DLF, is because I didn't like how the DLF plays more riskier passes, especially as he is the main link between midfield and attack. 

I have realised my left side is probably causing me problems, however am reluctant to change their duties - do you think having a defensive duty LCM would be sufficient cover? 

9 minutes ago, maxchaplin55 said:

I didn't even think at how my front line are most likely attacking an overcrowded middle against smaller teams. The reason for me choosing a DF rather than a DLF, is because I didn't like how the DLF plays more riskier passes, especially as he is the main link between midfield and attack. 

I have realised my left side is probably causing me problems, however am reluctant to change their duties - do you think having a defensive duty LCM would be sufficient cover? 

He may but you need to see how your players defend when the opposition starts a counter attack. I see you like your wingbacks to attack so, using a half back at DM position may be more useful. Again you need to watch carefully what is happening. 

50 minutes ago, mkkadi said:

He may but you need to see how your players defend when the opposition starts a counter attack. I see you like your wingbacks to attack so, using a half back at DM position may be more useful. Again you need to watch carefully what is happening. 

I do watch sections of my games on full, particularly the start of both halves. I am noticing more that I need to have more adequate cover for my full backs if I have them as attacking. 

Half backs sit between the centre halves when in possession right? This could be an idea, will play with it. 

I use a very similar system, all be it on FM 17, and it’s essential I have one FB(s) or else I get cut apart on transitions. 

Having a full back deeper isn’t such a bad thing in terms of attacking as it enables you to recycle possession when the opposition boots it clear. But it obviously depends on how you wish to play - this won’t be an option if you want to overload both flanks.

The HB seems an interesting alternative for cover though.