The Sarri Experiment for FM18

Merry Christmas one and all. I hope the holidays are being gentle to you.

As discussed earlier I wanted to renew the Sarri experiment from a few months back, initially made for FM17 and try to take it into the world of FM18. A lot has changed in FM18 and so has Napoli in real life, so this wasn't as easy as I had expected it to be. Before we take a look at the current Napoli setup I have to point out a few things;

• How we view footballing styles will differ from one to the next - we can only agree on the stats we have available. You might not agree with roles/mentality/shape, but there are many ways leading to Rome. Leave a comment regardless.
  • When doing replicas I always take the shortest route; holidaying and leaving all the extras to my staff. If you want the full Napoli experience you'll likely do better than me if you get your hands dirty! I have not made any adjustments to set pieces et al. Just tactics.
  • Even the most stubborn managers will have to make alterations during a season. While Napoli rank high in the possession table, on both occasions when I watched a full game they had less possession than their opponent; and they were both home games.
  • Check out the previous thread for the analysis on Napoli, this thread will only be about the current system, the small changes that has been made and the FM version.

MAURIZIO SARRI

ab2499c7d954a8274cd369bbf1a6d33e_crop_exact.thumb.jpg.a1ce962855c2bb7f04a5d0c0023de493.jpg

Key traits for the 2017/18 season:

Goals per game: 2.3
Shots per game: 17.4
Avg possession: 59.6%

Interestingly they rank very low for dribbles per game  and they now rank only 3rd for goals scored, where they reigned supreme in these charts last season. Still they hold a one point lead in the Serie A going into the Xmas break and despite crashing out of the CL things are certainly looking up for Sarri and his team.

The current tactic looks very similar to that of last season, with one glaring exception, the Hamsik role. Hamsik is now more of a playmaker in midfield, not going forward that much and as such has only 3 goals in 26 matches this season. He is much more involved in the build-up and Sarri prefers Zielinski/Allan to get forward more - the two has produces 10 goals between them this season. Here is a look at Hamsik against Genoa earlier this year (3-2 win):

5a412c86d2ef7_hamsikgenoa.png.d46b446d87df689d196af486dbad55f2.png

Speaking in FM terms this removes a major goal outlet from our FM17 tactic, where Hamsik would regularly arrive late in the box and hammer in the goals. Now we have to think differently. We also need to improve on the Mertens role from last edition, where it turned out that Insigne became our main goal scorer by a good margin. Sounds easy enough doesn't it? :lol:

After a lot of trials and tribulations this is the system I landed on eventually:

5a412fe201e73_napoliFM18tactic.thumb.png.07118ab646a516f168eae196029e8e5c.png5a412feceb7c0_napoliteaminstr.thumb.png.ff9fd2bc51388db4a24c42b471916d1c.png

Roles:

GK - Reina: I really don't like using SKs, so I instead expanded on his PIs: roll it out, distribute to CDr and fewer risky passes. He will distribute to Albiol. This has to with build-up play.

RB - Hysaj: More conservative than Ghoulam, Hysaj is the right sided width holder and a defensive enforcer. Nobody should get past him and if they do he'll take the yellow card for the team. PI stay wider.
CDr - Albiol: A BPD who will receive the ball from Reina and either carry it out himself or find Jorginho in midfield. Integral in the build-up and a solid defender. Close down much less.
CDl - Koulibaly: Also a BPD with a much more physical presence on the pitch. Close down much less.
LB - Ghoulam: More involved in the attacking phase, he will transport the ball from his left side and link up heavily with Hamsik and Insigne. Stay wider and run wide with ball.

CMr - Allan/Zielinski: Since Hamsik now is more set in his role we need movement from his friends in midfield. More on this role further down. Close down more, shoot less often, mark tighter, more risky passes.
CMc - Jorginho/Diawara: The DLP. Shielding the back four and also spraying passes from deep. Close down much less.
CML - Hamsik/Zielinski/Rog: Last edition we used a runner, now this role is more set and more involved in the build-up. Close down more, mark tighter and get further forward (we don't want him too deep).

AMr - Callejon: Slightly tweaked from his IF role in FM17, now a RMD. Tackle harder and mark tighter (we need him to drop deep without the ball).
AML - Insigne: Also slightly tweaked. Insigne stays wider IRL and we need him to do the same here. We need to make space for Hamsik and shift the play towards the left. Stay wider, tackle harder and mark tighter.

Striker - Mertens: As a DLF he will be seeking to drop deeper and make room for Callejon and Insigne while also getting some CCCs by making good runs himself. Move into channels.

Now, for all you purists out there, let's dive into the statistics of this save.

5a41350e84eb4_napoligoalsscored.thumb.png.0e0a2f5cde1a6fc5d620acc496ae9250.png

Goals scored on December 25th, 2017:

2.27 per game :)

5a41358b1cf6e_napoliposs.thumb.png.154a093ae3c0a420a5ccaffb13bd12aa.png

Possession is pretty close, not really sure how this is calculated though. Passing percent is 2% below real life, still pretty decent considering we have more risky passes from our midfielders.

5a41366738e89_napolishotsontarget.thumb.png.52a2644c390ed7d1cc256bf647cfb4e8.png

Shots/shots on target conversion is decent, but not great. 144 shots on target in 18 games gives 8 shots on target per game, where as they have 7.4 in real life. Very nice.

In the next post we will have a look at the player performance stats and some heat maps, just to conclude this journey. Thanks for reading so far.

5a41385a0486f_napoliplayerstats.thumb.png.b51477a6fb47168bfc0fa4f25c0ca288.png

Not surprising that our front 3 gets all the goals. I really prefer the old Hamsik role and if I was to continue this without any more updates I would make him a CM on attack again. He's just too good in front of goal to be squandered as a playmaker. Besides, this tactic really needs that directness.

You'll notice that Allan has 4 goals so far, all of these come from open play. He will often have wide open spaces ahead since the play is tilted towards the left side. 

Insigne heat map:

5a413a0b9041e_insignerole.thumb.png.02bd7ef5d48f2c26e23ec391ba2322c5.png

Hamsik:

5a413a22c8957_Hamsikrole.thumb.png.90aaa67e7696c2bcaceb9d4618302227.png

Pass network:

5a413ada25948_passnetwork.thumb.png.af9cb6add21b3fe5b27231c9399e51a0.png

Mertens is very deep here, Insigne the forward most player.

THE END.

Good work. I'm very intrigued by that passing combination screenshot. I've never seen a ST so deep. He looks like CM/AMC there. And he's your leading scorer. Does Martens have "comes deep" PPM? Does Milik drop as deep too?

Also, interestingly, the IF-A is way ahead of the RMD-A. 

Question. Why use 2 BPDs when you have DLP and AP in midfield? How frequently do the bypass the midfield and find either the IF-A or the RMD with balls over the top?

1 hour ago, yonko said:

Question. Why use 2 BPDs when you have DLP and AP in midfield? How frequently do the bypass the midfield and find either the IF-A or the RMD with balls over the top?

Greetings Yonko. 

The reason for two BPDs is that they both play as that IRL, only Albiol has more "creative freedom" if we can call it that. If anything, one of the two should be set to cover to replicate their heat map, but we're not heat map nazis either.

They will only bypass the midfield if you change from 'control' to 'attack' mentality. I should have written something about that, although I feel we covered that in the previous edition. In the Serie A you'll face your fair share of defensive teams, having that 'attack' mentality in your arsenal will help a lot. It will lower possession a few percent though.

Mertens:

Mertens.thumb.png.d64723f3b4a743a0947022bb6806e099.png

36 minutes ago, Ji-Sung Park said:

Greetings Yonko. 

The reason for two BPDs is that they both play as that IRL, only Albiol has more "creative freedom" if we can call it that. If anything, one of the two should be set to cover to replicate their heat map, but we're not heat map nazis either.

They will only bypass the midfield if you change from 'control' to 'attack' mentality. I should have written something about that, although I feel we covered that in the previous edition. In the Serie A you'll face your fair share of defensive teams, having that 'attack' mentality in your arsenal will help a lot. It will lower possession a few percent though.

Mertens:

Mertens.thumb.png.d64723f3b4a743a0947022bb6806e099.png

Both CBs play through balls IRL? I don't think so. They look like regular defenders to me. And they play through midfield. So I wouldn't have them as BPD.

Control mentality is still pretty eager going forward in terms of encouraging players to play forward passes. And against defensive teams, to break them down, I wouldn't go from Control to Attack. More likely the opposite.

Kind of similar to what I am using. Few different roles used but could be subject to change. I think I have replicated the movement on the left hand side of the pitch quite well, still early days but thought I'd share some early results thus far.

Possible changes. Allan's role may become a BBM, going see how it plays out.

AFC Ajax_  Overview.png

Willem II v Ajax_ Analysis Analysis.png

Impressive job replicating Napoli 2017/18! Hamsik does seem to have lost his legs a bit this year so a more controlling, on-ball role like playmaker is a good shout and an interesting way to re-create his current play. I'm not sure about the Carrilero role for Allan/Zielinski, but it's more a matter of me not really understanding the interpretation of this role in FM (carrilero means basically 'wingback' in spanish, plus I find in-game description of role quite vague), seems to be working fine for you though. Great job on Mertens tally, too!

After watching Napoli quite a bit, unlike last year, they seem to be a little more direct, a lot less likely to maintain possession.  They also seem to be a little more frenetic, especially in the final third.  Just my observation and some of the games I’m watching are not in HD.  

Also, Hamsek’s role is constantly evolving.  I’m feeling like he’s getting into the box more often, just later.  

I’ve used this tactic with AC Milan the first two seasons (I’m in season 3) and it worked well.  Funny thing is, Sarri left Napoli first season I was at Milan and took over the Italian team.  He shows up to nearly all our matches though, keeping tabs on the team. 

• 3 weeks later...
vor 15 Minuten schrieb bdixon:

So, I'm curious to hear what peoples opinion are for Hamsik role? I've been looking at the M(S) or the AP(S) but undecided.

He played more offensive last year, so last year in my opinion AP(A) or CM(A) with some PI's maybe. This year he plays a bit more conservative, so i would go with AP(S) or RPM(S). He will still score some from distance and penalties.

5 minutes ago, quintonkemen said:

He played more offensive last year, so last year in my opinion AP(A) or CM(A) with some PI's maybe. This year he plays a bit more conservative, so i would go with AP(S) or RPM(S). He will still score some from distance and penalties.

Yes, a playmaker is something I agree with. Would you think Insigne is something of a playmaker himself or is he the epitome of an IF(S)?

vor 1 Stunde schrieb bdixon:

Yes, a playmaker is something I agree with. Would you think Insigne is something of a playmaker himself or is he the epitome of an IF(S)?

In this years fm you could try insigne as an AP(S), because the role seems to be a bit more offensive this year, so he will score more as an AP(S), compared to last years version. But if you make insigne a AP(S), i wouldn't play Hamsik as AP. Maybe Hamsik as RPM an Insigne as AP(S). In my Interpretation of Sarri's Napoli i let insigne play as IF(S) with roam from position and Hamsik as AP(A).

vor 3 Minuten schrieb quintonkemen:

In this years fm you could try insigne as an AP(S), because the role seems to be a bit more offensive this year, so he will score more as an AP(S), compared to last years version. But if you make insigne a AP(S), i wouldn't play Hamsik as AP. Maybe Hamsik as RPM an Insigne as AP(S). In my Interpretation of Sarri's Napoli i let insigne play as IF(S) with roam from position and Hamsik as AP(A).

and yeah in real life insigne is kind of a playmaker (like a AP(S)).

42 minutes ago, zio_cantante said:

Insigne in real life is a playmaker but in FM i find the role too conservative, so i'm playing him as an IF(s). As for Hamsik, i still play him as CC(a) with some PIs. He is still a scoring treaht, something like 3 goals in last 4 matches in real life!

CC(a)? which role is that?

10 hours ago, quintonkemen said:

and yeah in real life insigne is kind of a playmaker (like a AP(S)).

I agree with this, but it can't be translated into FM terms using an AP there. It's too static and indirect.

The inside forward role in the game needs to be addressed in upcoming versions. If your IF has PPM 'cuts inside' he will ALWAYS do that, and way too early in the attacking phase. By early I mean he will start cutting inside as soon as he gets the ball. More often than not he will also run inwards and shoot from far out. IRL, a classic IF on attack is Anthony Martial. Head over to whoscored and look at his heat map from the last three games he played. He cuts inside only when he's shooting distance. Rant over.

I am not happy with the initial tactic in the OP. It lacks the thumping attacking play that I made for the 17 version, so I revisited the whole thing with a new save. Like @Jean0987654321 says here, the current Hamsik role is probably an AP or Mez. It makes a huge difference in the sense that a regular CM(a) would be a pure runner, where as the other two would be more involved before the final third. However, an AP on support cannot be given the 'get further forward' PI, so we have to go for the attacking version. In addition we have to tell him to go wide with the ball, as this is a key component in the real life version.

I made a lot of changes, too many to mention, but I like it a whole lot more now. I'll leave a download link at the end so you can test it and leave some feedback. Some screenies:

Results:

results.thumb.png.af2001ff82b4e09c7d7310ca2f9d6f1d.png

Key players:

Mertens
Mertens.thumb.png.c296b19a8f01f2b75fc9d97fe482d1dc.png

Insigne
insigne.thumb.png.bb0b512d903f2e9de6f00ef01322b78c.png

Callejon
callejon.thumb.png.79e0eadf847c5bdfa3504867f5875e4f.png

The tactic as it is now:

tactic.thumb.png.15cbdc71823738af6c7567e57c1344bf.png

Again, this is important, it is vital that you are able to go to attacking mentality in those games where you face defensive opponents. Lower the tempo by one notch and go up to attack. Three at the back formations can be tricky to overcome on control, although on this save I have had little problems. There will be times though when you have to take more risk.

Here is a game against Verona away, where they played a 5-3-2 of sorts:

5a658e4647988_againstverona.thumb.png.116f5834a0a74428877d7276b8eee2a1.png

The ratio of shots/shots on target has been consistently very good all season, most games I have about 60% on target ratio. Lots of chances created, but the slightly higher d-line means there will be counters.

I don't have time for more right now, here is the link if you want to try out:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/euuur76l46o35be/Napoli+2018.fmf

1 hour ago, Ji-Sung Park said:

The tactic as it is now:

tactic.thumb.png.15cbdc71823738af6c7567e57c1344bf.png

I don't get why you want your players to keep it simple with Shorter Passing that reduces players passing length but at the same time you increase them because you want them to Pass Into Space

13 minutes ago, Rooks said:

I don't get why you want your players to keep it simple with Shorter Passing that reduces players passing length but at the same time you increase them because you want them to Pass Into Space

Shorter passing for possession and into space to release Mertens/Callejon 1-vs-1 against opposition GK.

I don't completely agree with @Ji-Sung Park regarding the Hamsik role: a CM(a) with some PIs isn't a pure runner but gets also a lot of assists from through balls and is well involved in the play, obviously not as much as if was a playmaker. Other than that, both RPM and AP(a) have "dribble more" by default (at least i remebmer so, not sure!), and that PI doesn't suit the Hamsik role at all.

:)

@Ji-Sung Park I like the new tactic a lot more, I think it’s a more accurate representation of how they play. Jorginho as a DLP-s :applause:When I was doing my research, the spielverlagerung article noted the importance of Jorginho taking up a position behind the opposition’s forward(s) during the build-up phase. How did he perform?

9 hours ago, Duke313 said:

Gonna give this a try with Sampdoria, would the FM17 version in the old thread still work.  Would high OI's have much impact on this setup?

It would be very strange if this worked for Sampdoria. Drop a line to let us know!

6 hours ago, jc577 said:

@Ji-Sung Park I like the new tactic a lot more, I think it’s a more accurate representation of how they play. Jorginho as a DLP-s :applause:When I was doing my research, the spielverlagerung article noted the importance of Jorginho taking up a position behind the opposition’s forward(s) during the build-up phase. How did he perform?

As of January Jorginho has 4 assists in 12 matches. His position is directly behind the forward 5 players (Insigne, Mertens, Callejon, Hamsik and Allan) when attacking. Position wise it is very similar to real life stuff, although by having Hamsik as an AP they very often are too close together. This is a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wanted to give this thread, and the tactic, a well-deserved bump.

Just completed a first season with Manchester United and this tactic produced some brilliant football as well as great success. Won the Premiership, Champions League and League Cups, had the best defence in the league and the second-best goalscoring record (after Arsenal where Aubameyang scored 46 in 54 appearances!).

wJXu4lu.png?1

8TLwAZy.png?1

But more than the results, I loved the quality of the football - one- and two-touch passing movement, great interplay around the box, and goals scored from all over. We had the best average possession with 58.6%, the best pass-completion record at 86%, and  shots-on-target at 47%.

The only changes from the download tactic were the use of Mata as an APs instead of RD, and Lukaku as a CFs. Occasionally I switched to standard/structured for the really tough games, and by the end of the season I'd moved the DLP into the DM line, which seemed to give us a bit more room in the centre-midfield area. I think that underlines the strength of the tactic because it has the flexibility to allow those kinds of changes if you're not playing with Napoli's personnel.

This is easily my favourite tactic since starting FM18. Anyone who hasn't given it a try should definitely do so.

3 hours ago, warlock said:

Wanted to give this thread, and the tactic, a well-deserved bump.

Just completed a first season with Manchester United and this tactic produced some brilliant football as well as great success. Won the Premiership, Champions League and League Cups, had the best defence in the league and the second-best goalscoring record (after Arsenal where Aubameyang scored 46 in 54 appearances!).

wJXu4lu.png?1

8TLwAZy.png?1

But more than the results, I loved the quality of the football - one- and two-touch passing movement, great interplay around the box, and goals scored from all over. We had the best average possession with 58.6%, the best pass-completion record at 86%, and  shots-on-target at 47%.

The only changes from the download tactic were the use of Mata as an APs instead of RD, and Lukaku as a CFs. Occasionally I switched to standard/structured for the really tough games, and by the end of the season I'd moved the DLP into the DM line, which seemed to give us a bit more room in the centre-midfield area. I think that underlines the strength of the tactic because it has the flexibility to allow those kinds of changes if you're not playing with Napoli's personnel.

This is easily my favourite tactic since starting FM18. Anyone who hasn't given it a try should definitely do so.

Working like this with latest update??

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Like the look of this tactic so going to give it a whirl. Two pre-season games with a draw and a narrow win. Early days. Couple of quick questions please:

- playing on touch so have copied the tactic from the images in this thread. Are their any specific player instructions as well? 

- how would this translate to the current Arsenal squad? Interested in where to deploy Ozil, Aubameyang, Miki

Thanks for your help!

Using the default Napoli squad and the players' PPM, this is by far the best replication of Sarriball!
I just switched the DLP (S) to (D).
But I am conceding tons through crosses, my center backs seems to close down on the crosser and the man who taps it in is always alone inside the penalty area. Sometimes just one center back close down and the other seems to be sleeping and gave no opposition whatsoever...
I tried it with default Napoli Koulibaly-Albiol and with FC Porto Marcano-Felipe.

Anyone seeing this issue?

1 hour ago, davidbarros2 said:

Using the default Napoli squad and the players' PPM, this is by far the best replication of Sarriball!
I just switched the DLP (S) to (D).
But I am conceding tons through crosses, my center backs seems to close down on the crosser and the man who taps it in is always alone inside the penalty area. Sometimes just one center back close down and the other seems to be sleeping and gave no opposition whatsoever...
I tried it with default Napoli Koulibaly-Albiol and with FC Porto Marcano-Felipe.

Anyone seeing this issue?

I think the center backs have the PI close down much less, I would just turn that off and put it back to the default closing down. 

• 2 months later...

(Haven't read all the posts, sorry if I missed something.)

Sarri adapted to the players he had.
When Higuain was there, he was your typical forward.
AF or CF-A.

I'd put Jorginho as DLP-D on DM position because it works better in FM.
And Willian is clearly better than Pedro.
Winger-Attack.

Great thread. Really.

Maybe this has been asked before, but why "pass to space" + "shorter passing". Doesn't it defeat purpose. 

Also, why Lower tempo? Knowing Sarri Napoli, even though they have occasional patient build up, they love to play quick passing to the front.

2 hours ago, denen123 said:

Maybe this has been asked before, but why "pass to space" + "shorter passing". Doesn't it defeat purpose. 

Not really. Shorter passing is one thing, designed to keep possession; pass into space is the chance for a defence-splitting longer ball and encourages your players to look for that.

2 hours ago, denen123 said:

they love to play quick passing to the front.

Which is what pass into space is there for.

I am testing this with Chelsea at the moment, and it is interesting. Not the greatest results to show for this far, but I'm confident we will have done well when the season comes to an end. The squad I have are well suited to this tactic, so it is all about learning the ropes of the style. In addition I am letting my DOF do all my transfers in and out, to try to adapt even more to the whole "Sarri experience" where you play your football with the team you are given. 

Archived