Sports Interactive Community

What was Busquet's actual role under Guardiola 2009-2012?

I'm creating Pep's barcelona tactic, can someone say which role he played under him? FM

Edited by Roga

For me it would be a HB (D). This role is like the backbone of your team. Like Pep (who played for Cryuff’s in ‘92) who also used to play as a pivot in his time at Barcelona. His job is to l mainly recycle any lost ball and sits deeper b/w The Central defenders to give them a chance to push up.

Changed from game to game, if opponents defended with 2 strikers then he'd be a half-back to make a 3-vs-2 at the back. If opponents defended with 1 ST, then he stayed higher as a normal DM. I like using the BWM-D role in that scenario, it seems better positionally than the DM role.

How Guardiola uses Fernandinho is like Busquets, a deep lying pivot who sits in between the centre backs.

5 hours ago, goqs06 said:

How Guardiola uses Fernandinho is like Busquets, a deep lying pivot who sits in between the centre backs.

Not the same to be honest.

At Barcelona,especially the 10/11 era,Sergio busquets was utilised as a HB in the sense that he plays almost as a third center back in the build up and functions as a holding midfielder as the ball moves onto the opponents half.

Major difference in this city team is that the "split" in build up is not really sought out as the f ullbacks don't bomb forward as much but rather sit narrower in the center of the midfield,forming a kind of "bank of 5".

Summary: Busquets=HB

Fernandinho=DLPD or DM 

Depends on your interpretation really.

My English is not so perfect.I apologize.

I think we can't really pick one role in game for him. I feel like he was switching between half-back role and deep-lying playmaker (def, dm position). The game and match engine limits us and we can't really replicate everything perfectly and make it the same as it is in real life. Sure, we can make it similar or even very close to the real life, but it will never be the same. My point is, in my opinion the roles are the problem. The roles make it everything so simple. In the real life, we probably will see players like Messi and Xavi once for a life time, their playstyle, their abilities and their roles are unique. Meanwhile in football manager, you can pick every team, set the similar roles (false 9 or shadow striker for Messi, deep-lying playmaker or roaming playmaker for xavi, halfback or deep-lying playmaker for busquets) add some team instructions, shape, mentality and stuff - and your team will be playing like Guardiola's Barca.

I mean, there is only one Busquets/Xavi/Messi, their playstyle and roles are unique, while in FM you can just pick Rakitic or Fernandinho, set the same roles and have them playing like legendary Guardiola's team? it's stupid.. But it's the game in the end so I think it's also about having fun and all that stuff.

On 1/25/2018 at 19:48, blehq12 said:

Defo a HB or a DM in his earlier years. Around 2012- he became a DLP (D).

Correct!