Look for underlap - explanation and examples needed

I won't be giving any diagrams but I use this in my tactic..it makes your wide players hold up the ball and wait for a central player to run past them in support..it's just look for overlap inverted.

This is of course very useful with certain midfield roles such as box to box or Segundo Volante which will track back to very deep positions and take time to get back up the pitch to support an attack.

Thanks for the picture. Meaning the full back in the bottom right corner will receive the ball and run laterally to the central area? 
It doesn't make sense to me, that seems to be a very bad idea for me.

Second video is really telling, thanks. Is there maybe the "look for underlap" TI has any effect on team width, particularly wide midfielders, wingers push more wide to stretch and create space for underlapping runs?

1 ora fa, skrew ha scritto:

Second video is really telling, thanks. Is there maybe the "look for underlap" TI has any effect on team width, particularly wide midfielders, wingers push more wide to stretch and create space for underlapping runs?

have no idea about how ME actually creates space for those players. it might be that it doesn't at all but that is a question for SI ME dev team.

Inverted Full Backs with AML/R wingers seems designed for underlap. (Haven't tried it yet)

And I would think IF/S with non-inverted FB's is perfect for overlap, but a lot of times I see the FB overlap and the IF cutting inside creating space for the FB, but then very rarely pass the ball to the FB, resulting in the FB spending a lot of time uselessly running up and down the pitch without being used. Only if the IF passes the ball to a playmaker MC does it result in them being used as a passing option.

I think the key element of underlap/overlap is to get past some defenders with passing instead of dribbling, but I'm not entirely happy with what I see on pitch so far.

2 ore fa, Miravlix ha scritto:

resulting in the FB spending a lot of time uselessly running up and down the pitch without being used. Only if the IF passes the ball to a playmaker MC does it result in them being used as a passing option.

it isn't necessarily about FB getting the ball. If he drags away a marker from the central zone he has done his job already as he opens space for either a pass or a run in the middle. It very much depends on the behaviour of the defensive unit how effective he can be. 

3 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

it isn't necessarily about FB getting the ball. If he drags away a marker from the central zone he has done his job already as he opens space for either a pass or a run in the middle. It very much depends on the behaviour of the defensive unit how effective he can be. 

But he doesn't drag any defenders, he just run up the pitch with no effect and no one passing to him.

That off course means it would be horrible for the ME if overlap actually worked, because the ME can't defend the situation.

2 ore fa, Miravlix ha scritto:

But he doesn't drag any defenders, he just run up the pitch with no effect and no one passing to him.

That off course means it would be horrible for the ME if overlap actually worked, because the ME can't defend the situation.

have no idea how the thing works in the ME, i was just saying how it works in real. however, the ME can't handle the simplest of the tactical ideas such as moving a winger towarards the strong side to create an overload. so, can't say I'd be surprised if the inverted fb doesn't really work in the ME.

Had it enabled in Vanilla FM18 but switched it off in FM18.2x

Players in general tended to wait for a Player/Players in the center area appearing as ball target but maybe SI thought it was overpowered or the other changes on the ME have eaten it up - atm it seems it has become another "loss of ball + waste the Chance" option.

Individual experience may differ of course...

And yet it happened to me that i changed my creative freedom setting to a lower Tier (disabled the expressive button on the tactic Screen) and suddenly "Underlap" adds positives to the game flow, scoring chances and success.

I should mention that i judge my game only on the match flow, player actions and success as they happen in the 3d game and completely ignore any statistics.

• 1 month later...

Archived