Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
2feet

Thinking of signing a player who has good goalscoring stats in U21 Euro competition

But when I look at his attributes he looks like nothing special.

So if he is scoring lots of goals in a cup competition, does that mean he has some hidden attributes, which means that if I sign him he will have a better chance of scoring goals?

Also, if a player is top of the charts for shots on target, will he carry this statistic through to playing in a Championship level team if I signed him?

Player's performances in competitions for another team/NT is something I'd give the least importance when scouting him.

Do you know how that team is playing? Maybe he fits that particular tactic, but will not fit yours. Much more important is for you to see if his attributes fit the way you want him to play (e.g. good physical attributes if you want to use him as a Target Man), and of course, his CA/PA (star rating)

I havent got the report back yet because theres a big queue of players waiting to be scouted.

Is this the sort of situation to order an analyst report?

If the scout report was to say nothing particularly bad, then what would that mean?

How did he score the goals? Were they consistent, like 1 per game, or did he just have a freak game where he scored a hattrick which has skewed things?

The problem with judging this is that form is temporary.

The best thing to do is decide what it is you are looking for in a player who plays in his position and/or role and whether this player meets those criteria (or could meet the criteria with development if he is young). It sounds like he might not be what you want from what you said about him not looking that special to you.

Wait for your scout reports to get an idea of his hidden attributes. They will make comments about how he handles pressure, how consistent he might be, how injury-prone, all that stuff in the pros and cons. It will also give you a rough idea of his current and potential ability compared to your squad. These things might help you decide whether he is worth a go.

Don't jump in too quick. Unless you're rolling in cash and he's not that expensive, in which case, the occasional speculative punt on a player can be fun.

Also, if you don't go for him and he turns out to be good, don't worry too much. These things happen. There are always other players.

I know most of this, but what im getting at is this:

If you take two players with roughly the same attributes, the scout reports say roughly the same thing, but one of them has better stats for shot on target, or for key passes, etc etc. Does this then mean that they are likely to continue that impressive stat if they come to your team and play in a similar system to the club theyre currently at?

Not necessarily. It depends how they were being utilized in the tactical system of the team they were playing in. It may also depend on the quality of the teammates they were playing with and leagues they were playing in.

1 hour ago, 2feet said:

I play the default settings, so I cant see hidden things

Chances are those matches were played out using the quick ME so his performances will not be an accurate reflection on what he could do at your club, personally if his scouted ratings come in less that stellar I’d avoid signing him.

On 19-12-2017 at 13:33, 2feet said:

I know most of this, but what im getting at is this:

If you take two players with roughly the same attributes, the scout reports say roughly the same thing, but one of them has better stats for shot on target, or for key passes, etc etc. Does this then mean that they are likely to continue that impressive stat if they come to your team and play in a similar system to the club theyre currently at?

All other things being equal, if the attributes seem to fit your club/level, you might as well use this as the deciding factor to go with player A over player B. A proven goalscoring record is always a nice bonus. Just don't use it as the only factor when making your decision, or you'll end up signing Maceo Rigters :D