Board Initial Budgets

SVB

So I'm in the latter stages of a season in Football Manager. I had £90 million left over from my season's budget and it's now around March. There wasn't anyone I wanted to buy in January but a player became available a few weeks later and I bid almost all of my £90 mill for him and agreed a contract. Before the deal was finalised, I went into a game and won - my team secured qualification for the Champions League early (we're on course to win the premier league as things stand) and as soon as that happened, the board "Set Initial Budgets" for the next season, allocating my roughly the same amount of money ~ 100 mill to me for the season to come. Then the notification comes through that the deal for the player I had bid was ready to be finalised and I confirmed... except now instead of using the previous season's 90million that I had saved up, my money from the new season has been depleted... even though I'm still in March. Obviously the concept of Initial Budgets exists to start getting deals done early but in this scenario, it's clear that it can end up punishing players for no reason. I strongly suggest this be changed. Either, the new season's budget should come on top of the money you saved OR the Initial Budgets should be an optional thing. I.e. the board come to you after you secure your target position and say, "We want to offer you an early initial budget, do you want to take it now or wait till the start of next season?". This way, we can avoid instances like this where essentially I've lost all the money from one season simply because my team performed too well and achieved its target too early.

• 5 months later...
  • Administrators

That was an initial budget deduced from the amount of money you had. If you spend a huge chunk of that, it won't be in your future budget. But then it will be recalculated when the 'full' budget is decided. 

You can't 'save' transfer budget as such - it's given to you to spend. If you don't spent it, obviously it'll sit in your overall accounts which is where the budget figure is taken from. This isn't influenced by how much or little was spent last season, it's just from your overall balance. 

When they can take the CL money into account they will - in that scenario you are likely to get a boost to your budget at some point during the season or in January - if your overall finances are in the black. 

Reviewed so locked. 

Archived