The Dark Knights Rise - Murciélagos F.C.

BoxToBox

fe5ee63aabd35e09958644db3ea00ee6.png

So, it's come to this, an Irish manager with no rep in the game, years of looking for a job around Europe with no luck. Try Asia they said, Africa, Oceania, America, why not? Hell you're half American anyway..... So I wrote an e-mail, attached my CV, and sent it to what felt like every club in the world, if anything, at least I'd be in more databases.... I waited for what seemed like an age.... Eventually, a club contacted me. Mexico! Beautiful country. In the news a lot these days.... Far higher rep than I expected, Murciélagos F.C, apparently they're a bit desperate, last manager left in "unforeseen circumstances" pre season. Still, why me? I guess the President is a bit eccentric, this is the club that allowed the internet to pick a line up, can't do worse than.... Oh! They won that game.... Rumours that they're in with the Sinaloa cartels, but you hear rumours like that about most Mexican clubs. Then again, I do see quite a few black SUV's about, tinted windows, a coincidence, it's very sunny here is all. It's a massive risk, but I'll probably not get another chance like this to make my name in the game.

Eccentric it seems doesn't begin to describe the President, he's informed me, going forward we're only signing players who are nationals of North American countries.... Five of our best players are South American, naturally, but I should be able to get away with keeping the players we have for now. Pretty big lack of determination in the squad, guess that scout was right when he said we needed more "fighters", then again, Rocky Balboa would say that, wouldn't he?

Also,he said he wouldn't mind seeing some youth development.... With zero players in the u20's or u18's, I certainly hope that's not a priority.

The demand is for a top half finish, but the media believe we'll finish 14th, 3rd from bottom. I realise I have no idea how the Mexican leagues work, probably should have researched that.

Ooooohhhh, I'm going to get shot, aren't I...

99926c4bf9350f380431ce9c7cbbfcba.png2af43416485d112b7b7ffaf8ff21895c.pngEstadio_Centenario_Los_Mochis.jpg

A fairly new club, with a history mostly unwritten...

337cfcffb578e739d3888223ffadc06a.pngc84a7bdeff25a473090dc0e575aa7709.png a8f7db01c701702018e1fe9079052ef4.png

Massive work on here, weaknesses in the squad and staff. Least the players are relatively onside.

6b62cc9c6049a47bc9092705c9fd2f3e.png

Determination and personalities are a real problem here.

3dc5f833e5ba211a8ecf3b790d4449f0.png

B-Team is similar.

0418fd80fbfea8d8c994f7a0bbbdbc42.png

8994bcf8f18ace3c88b7c2721d1b06d5.png

All the North American leagues from Claassen's pack active, so even with just American players we should have plenty to chose from!

Cheers @oriole01 for suggesting this to me, should be a hell of a lot of fun!

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it'd be rude for me not to follow along, right? This looks like another cracking save in the making, with a splendid choice of club and loads of potential for greatness.

I can't wait to see this get going, but can I at least ask that you get some sleep first before winning the Club World Cup? :D

In the words of Speedy Gonzalez:
¡Ándale! ¡Ándale! ¡Arriba! ¡Arriba! ¡Epa! ¡Epa! ¡Epa!

8 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Oye, guey...some tequila down Sinaloa, yeah...what could go wrong?

Love it.  Should be a great time down south of the border!

Cheers!

2 minutes ago, oriole01 said:

Well, it'd be rude for me not to follow along, right? This looks like another cracking save in the making, with a splendid choice of club and loads of potential for greatness.

I can't wait to see this get going, but can I at least ask that you get some sleep first before winning the Club World Cup? :D

In the words of Speedy Gonzalez:
¡Ándale! ¡Ándale! ¡Arriba! ¡Arriba! ¡Epa! ¡Epa! ¡Epa!

Cheers!

No need to worry about me though :lol:, I had a few hours nap before the Broncos/Colts game. That said, I don't think I'll have another update for a while, got a lot of scouring the free agents and loans markets, massive holes in the squad that need patching up!

18 minutes ago, deltablue said:

Go make Mexico great ;)

We'll start with the Batman fanclub and see what happens.

Just now, noikeee said:

****, that's a lot of leagues. What kind of nuclear-fusion-calculating computer do you have?

Lots of leagues, surprisinly reasonable number of players, less than 40k. Laptop is even running it at 4 stars. Probably be murdered after a season of intakes!

Interesting club to land at. Mexico has become a favorite place to manage, and I'm currently doing pretty well with Lobos BUAP. The AI got Murciélagos promoted in the first season but is struggling a bit in the second season. Think it will probably require a good amount of squad turnover to transform Murciélagos into a Liga MX side, as they seem like a 2nd division side all the way through - much like Lobos.

Mexico produces some really nice newgens. They typically land at the biggest clubs with the best youth systems, which means you might be able to loan some. And some come thru at 2nd division clubs, so make sure to scout those. I've landed some 4 star prospects for like 100k from those clubs, with them becoming first team Liga MX regulars at 18 years old.

Also, you might be aware of this, but loans are super common in Mexico, and clubs will sometimes loan first-team caliber players. So once you promote, if you don't have the funds to build a competitive squad on your own, You should be able to get some solid players. Oh, and do like most clubs in Mexico and look for good Argentinian players on free transfers.

19 minutes ago, Bigpapa42 said:

Interesting club to land at. Mexico has become a favorite place to manage, and I'm currently doing pretty well with Lobos BUAP. The AI got Murciélagos promoted in the first season but is struggling a bit in the second season. Think it will probably require a good amount of squad turnover to transform Murciélagos into a Liga MX side, as they seem like a 2nd division side all the way through - much like Lobos.

Mexico produces some really nice newgens. They typically land at the biggest clubs with the best youth systems, which means you might be able to loan some. And some come thru at 2nd division clubs, so make sure to scout those. I've landed some 4 star prospects for like 100k from those clubs, with them becoming first team Liga MX regulars at 18 years old.

Also, you might be aware of this, but loans are super common in Mexico, and clubs will sometimes loan first-team caliber players. So once you promote, if you don't have the funds to build a competitive squad on your own, You should be able to get some solid players. Oh, and do like most clubs in Mexico and look for good Argentinian players on free transfers.

I've already found one bloody insane newgen, popped up right at the start, no club, will be the best player at the club from day one!

I've noticed the squads seem to be half loans for most clubs.

7 minutes ago, Timetxu said:

Good luck with this! I like the club choice (can't remember seeing a Mexican save in here), but the promotion can be a draaaaag with the one spot. Maybe your cartel buds can help the league smooth over a little.. 

Cheers!

3 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

I've already found one bloody insane newgen, popped up right at the start, no club, will be the best player at the club from day one!

I've noticed the squads seem to be half loans for most clubs.

Probably the most fun aspect of managing in Mexico. The newgens, I mean. Monterrey got a 15 year old newgen that would have been the best player on half the clubs in Liga MX. At 16, he could start for some Premiership clubs. 5 star potential so he's probably going to be the Mexican Messi. That level might be rare, but solid ones with great potential who can develop into first team players by 18-19 years old are not uncommon.

Hah! What a difference a little time makes, not even two months in the job, on the eve of my managerial debut....
When I started, I thought everyone here was insane.... now, now things are different. They all think I'm the lunatic. I mean, I'm surprised the chairman didn't stop me, not that he ever leaves his office, but still, twenty one free transfers! Seventeen lads arrived the day the window opened. Eight more to arrive when they turn eighteen... This is how I used to play Football Manager, christ's sake.....They said the North American continent, so I scoured it! Wee needed strength in depth, the academies were empty, that's fixed. I mean, we're still short in midfield, and central defence... yeesh! Youth teams look tidy, though! Can't complain about that, even if a few of the foreign lads are here on kind of dodgy multi year trials until they're old enough, chairman must have powerful friends....
It'll work out. Probably. The kid though, geez, sixteen, a free agent, ludicrously talented, he's already the best player at the club! Knew it too, demanded a senior players contract, only luck to be able to offer it to him. Media have already started calling him "the next Benjamín Galindo, doesn't much appreciate me calling him El Pequeño Maestro, that's for sure! 

Pre-season was pretty decent. Set up a pre season cup, seemed like a fun idea, of course no decent teams wanted to play... The "Copa del Lobos", kinda reminds me of something. Won most games, not really convincingly, Chivas beat us, but it was a respectable scoreline. Been playing with a plain, simple 4-4-1-1, before the signings, I briefly considered playing with three centre forwards, but even I'm not that daft..... Training camp was ehhh, I thought I'd try to impress the lads, look like I knew the score in Mexico, went looking for a bottle of tequila, one with a worm, 'cause I'm well 'ard.... Turns out it's not tequila that has the worm, it's mezcal, so I got that. I later learned to much laughter, not mine mind, that the stuff with the worm is crap hoisted on unsuspecting tourists. If I hear The Champs one more time this month, I'll lose my freaking mind! Chalk it down to team bonding, I guess.....

Now, if I could only set up a subscription to Rabona Interruptus here, I'd be in business.

The Copa del Lobos...... :ackter:

d4f5c45682c8f2d4fcd501171745213f.png3c8573c40c5afaf92167690328789ddd.png

9e36715229c7c557064678754290c0a6.png

7f7da44f7940c531b6145acd150f96c5.png

42ea14bcfa20b9245045d9ea643e7809.png

I won't go through the lot, because that way lies madness...

2fb2318749a1091dd8f7ce283a2a06c2.png1b8dde0fa91321442722d2961e4f09c5.png

Aguilar, though is clearly the standout signing!

4fef323fe60a070f0da2bfdfc2a98e0c.pngf7a5afff2c1fe11f405adacaf457c99f.png7724660b8506ac87f0dd3d58729a5e9f.png

Luna looks like another cracking midfield prospect. Meyer is a decent upgrade at CB, Mascarenas is a massive upgrade at RB.

521739047ac0f25a7d0947739fed208b.png70fce83ad0a5e81f6692a51285596a4d.pngcb566e2d176f137a0e39e48377ae99b5.png

Rodriguez was the gem of the NYRB acadamey, so hopefully he has plenty of room to develop defensively. We have a very good keeper, but he's 34, Wolverton could be taking over sooner rather than later. Paredes is a player I'm quite excited about, despite his age. Will probably play more as a winger.

907eb38bd45afb1816b2fece2538d18b.pngee437777f821f5f29c6956a7d8d6dac8.pngb691945ee02ef6e866c453b02e41b210.png

McMahon is quick and can cross. Tidy. Lopez is underdeveloped for his age, but hopefully has plenty of untapped potential. Torres is the only loan deal, a real decent looking wingback, though I'd like him to learn to defend a bit more.

Got a good sized senior squad now, which we probably don't need. I don't really know what the seasons are like here. Also, 13 u20 players and 8 u18's, decent bit of potential too.

51f592715dc5663278056c5509d1e747.png

958905e6db8cb467aa6cd1874b351970.png

44 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Now, if I could only set up a subscription to Rabona Interruptus here, I'd be in business.

Rabona Interruptus really needs to make a comeback in print format.  Ever since it became a blog, it's gone downhill.

So, one month of football down, and I'm not sure what to make of it. My debut was a loss in the cup which pissed off the fans. I thought a competitive 0-1 loss to a good Liga MX side wasn't too bad.
After that an unconvincing league win, and a cup draw had me about to ditch the 4-4-1-1, but in the last game, we destroyed At. Zacatepic, a weaker side, but leaves me unsure whether to stick or twist.... Our strikers have been universally useless, especially that possible Digimon that's supposed to be our best, Leguizamón, bailed out by our midfield, Cardozo and lately Aguilar who broke his duck with a monster finish.
Turns out trialists can play in the Cup, which has helped as we have a CM on trial who's our second best DM. Brought in one more American kid, as the foreign window is still open and we're still searching for any talent we can find.

I saw the president once, his secretary informed me he's been quite unhappy I've been calling him a chairman all this time, but anyway, all he wanted to know was if I was sticking to his strict schedule of weekly team movie nights, always Batman, exclusively the Christopher Nolan trilogy..... No popcorn allowed. I'm not sure it's helping as much as he believes.

44c170833d7016e8fe3c823693a0b4c2.png

2d5c11cb6ae591592423eb4eea267136.png

Until that last game, it's been terrible, terrible football.

cba0f7be53b9727217c3d93b5879ce2e.gif

This wasn't terrible, though!

dbf762ff7e1bf1baeb28edca12f035ce.png

This is the newest lad, looks to have a bit about him.

5 hours ago, DavidBeckham said:

Smashing finish by Aguilar! With more work on his marking, Estrada can grow to be a decent center-back!

Marking is the one I worry about the least, but I'd still like it improved a bit.

In end in, sticking with the 4-4-1-1 has worked quite well, mostly excellent form through a busier month. Faced León again, a creditable 0-0 away draw, despite them attacking with 4-2-4, fans bizarrely loved it, pure excitement, apparently. Finished up the month with a terrible loss to the team that began the match in 14th, still doing incredibly well, though. One of the strikers picked up 5 goals in 2 games, making him leading goalscorer and our form forward. First choice until further notice. Haven't seen the president since the movie night chat, unbeknownst to him, I've been sneaking in a bit of Adam West. Doing well, and here a few months now, I thought it'd be a good time to start making requests. Without seeing him everything goes through his secretary, Miss López. I make a request, and the day after get a yes, usually, in reply. Except that one request that just got me a slap in the face.......

18e22355ae0cdf2ee7754d991e5de72e.png

d670d5611c3daa1b50efbc56033e847f.png

Excellent position to be in right now.

2cb08f9ffada3fb79f566192909edd02.png

e8991ebb1ed0c277ca6547a298da77e2.gif

d973d3b6b4d90e41db7dd61bab74a14b.gif

4 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

Your fans are difficult to read. Disappointed after a 1-0 loss to a top side and happy with the entertaining football after a 0-0 draw.

The social media segment should be fun

They are an odd group, star keeper just broke his hand...

e3e9bc0c1f1801a9aeb0084a77425a56.png

Yes, this will definitely work out well for him.

11 hours ago, oneronaldo said:

If you needed any more proof all your fans are off their face from tequila, there you go, a 0-0 draw called entertaining football and injury being good for the lad :lol:

Aye, they're definitely no all there.

2 hours ago, deltablue said:

That must have been the best 0-0 ever ;)

Almost end to almost end stuff.

11 hours ago, oneronaldo said:

If you needed any more proof all your fans are off their face from tequila, there you go, a 0-0 draw called entertaining football and injury being good for the lad :lol:

Aye, they're definitely no all there.

2 hours ago, deltablue said:

That must have been the best 0-0 ever ;)

Almost end to almost end stuff.

Another month passes, and I have again not seen the president once.... We're losing a suspiciously high amount of money, and ever more blacked out cars seem to be outside the facilities at all hours. Then again, it could all just be my fault for signing 20-25 extra players. I won't worry yet, but I might need a word with Miss López to see if she can get to the bottom of things.....
On pitch, we've discovered an amazing habit to score exactly two goals. Which has been excellent as long as we don't concede two goals. In the cup, we faced Monterrey, a team tied at the top of the Liga MX, away from home and we dominated them! Admittedly only for half an hour, but it was the thirty most important minutes as we scored a brace, and had a third come back out off the inside of the post. They came at us hard in the second half and scored, but only the one, leaving us with the biggest scalp of my young career. Afterwards, at the press conference, I made but a single statement. "I know why you're afraid of the dark." and left. President loved that, so I was told...

I need a new assistant too, drawing at half time in the league not playing well, tells me to praise the players! Daft as the fans are, that one.

a9c1844eb0ef6b34d2920f82a42b220c.png

Chucked away 1st in the league with that last game, just as we chucked a 0-2 lead.... Still, I don't think 1st is too important in this stage.

15ff5fac7f96ee531134d7aea0048bcf.png

Atlante have to visit us yet, so we can maybe overtake them again.

40f1e5f44df95a311ce370ccbef91412.png

Record breaking. :lol:

1622d2323a37bc0b7a9fa713c68ef610.png

These fans....

ef9a9e88583014b6b92d89bee811498b.png

Assistant ain't much better....

Archived