Newgen Scouting Tip

Bigpapa42

I posted this in the La Liga thread (in spoilers) but realize not a lot of people might look there. Figured I would share here as a thread in case it will help anyone. I don't think this is a cheat, but its a bit exploitive, so....

Its become much harder to snap up newgens from other clubs right after they debut / are created. The player refuses to negotiate a contract since they just signed one at their current club. This is realistic, but a few folks have expressed frustration at it. The rare newgen who is willing to move tends to cost significantly more in compensation than on FM17. I have had good luck identifying the quality newgens and waiting until the next window to pursue a standard transfer - if the club rep is low, you can still get them relatively cheap, quite likely lower than the compensation you would have had to pay.

Full disclosure - I've used this particular trick mostly on first-day newgens that are generated by having the Add Players to Active Clubs box ticked. I expect it should still work on regular youth intakes. It is probably going to be a bit random. The major factor will be leagues you have active, with the database size another potential variable. I run about 22-26 leagues (mostly top-division only, and as low as possible in the league I'm managing in), and a huge database (mod) and a lot of players retained, so about 100K players in total.

Now newgens on amateur clubs are generally willing to move right away, even on FM18. And they don't cost any compensation. For a few versions of FM, I've had great luck finding American newgens. If the MLS is active, amateur developmental clubs will have youth prospects generated. You will find occasional 4-5 star newgens. Zero compensation. Of course, how valuable that is depends on where you are managing, as such prospects are unlikely to get a work permit. But I've realized that on FM18, these amateur players can be found elsewhere at lower level clubs. Portugal, Spain, and France all have a few with the top division active. Portugal especially has loads that I've found in seaveral saves. These clubs tend to have very limited facilities, so they are certainly not guaranteed to generate good newgens in every save. Its going to be random.

Now the "tip" part of this is locating and identifying them. And I realized that these players almost have zero value. Not that a youth player at a small club tends to have high value, but they will have a little. The amateur players who will move without compensation seem to consistently have zero. Which makes it much easier to spot them if you are manually scouting through lower level clubs in these countries and assigning scouts to look at the ones who seem promising. I have located full 5 star prospects (by almost any club's standards) that can be signed on zero compensation. So its kinda cool if you want/need to load up the youth system a bit.

Another tip, and quite possibly very important is..

If you want a regen and go to sign him on a pre deal he will most likely not be bothered to even talk to you about a move.. BUT if you offer him a trial, the club accept and so does he you can then offer him a pre deal and he WILL sign it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Agree on both of these. I tried the "offer a trial" approach and it worked a few times. Quite often, the current club has already offered them a new deal so you can't get them on compensation. But if they haven't....

And Czech Republic generates a crazy number of quality newgens if you have the league active. Similar to Mexico, I find. Not quite as many as Portugal and Germany, but still.... a prime hunting ground if the league is active.

On 12/30/2017 at 18:40, Jurigag said:

Tip from my game - just scout Czech players, not sure if this is a bug, or what but they have so many good newgens it's crazy.

Sparta Prague just keeps churning them out, I once reviewed my U-23 squad for a clearout and I realized I had over 15 Czech newgens amongst the ranks. Some out on loan, some loan listed but no takers and some I was undecided whether to push to the senior side.

I clear those out, then a few seasons later I have another Czech logjam :lol:

Archived