Vote for tactical replications

Voting for tactical replications for me to do next.  

84 members have voted

1. 1. .

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/05/18 at 04:59

Would be really interesting to see your take on Guardiola's tactics at City as I'm currently trying to reproduce this myself, with mixed success. So it would be awesome to see someone else trying their hands on his tactic.

Here is a video that gives some good information on the topic.

3 hours ago, Flohrinho said:

Would be really interesting to see your take on Guardiola's tactics at City as I'm currently trying to reproduce this myself, with mixed success. So it would be awesome to see someone else trying their hands on his tactic.

Here is a video that gives some good information on the topic.

I actually tried doing it as well, inspired by this exact video. I do feel that you kind of have to pick one of many different variations that Guardiola opts for, since he's trying a lot of different things. (At least that's how i see it)

For me i tried focusing on the widespread wingers, with inverted backs. Didn't get to work with it enough for me to be satisfied. I did play with a much weaker team, and it seemed that having 2 inverted backs kinda flooded the midspace too much, making my midfielders lose a lot of balls due to the lack of time and space.  
I do however feel that the inverted wingback has some very exiting potential, and once i figure out how to best take advantage of it, it could potentially be one of my favorite roles in the game! 

4 minutes ago, Purplejesus said:

I actually tried doing it as well, inspired by this exact video. I do feel that you kind of have to pick one of many different variations that Guardiola opts for, since he's trying a lot of different things. (At least that's how i see it)

For me i tried focusing on the widespread wingers, with inverted backs. Didn't get to work with it enough for me to be satisfied. I did play with a much weaker team, and it seemed that having 2 inverted backs kinda flooded the midspace too much, making my midfielders lose a lot of balls due to the lack of time and space.  
I do however feel that the inverted wingback has some very exiting potential, and once i figure out how to best take advantage of it, it could potentially be one of my favorite roles in the game! 

I think I got it working fairly well with IWBs, it's pretty stable defensively since my FBs are always in a fairly deep position to get back into defending positions quite fast and help my DM keep the space in front of my defense under control. One of my gripes so far with the tactic is rather the attacking play. Tried a few roles from my CMs and finally settled for two Mezzalas, one on support and one on attack, they link up better with my Wingers than most other roles. That being said I still find it hard to break down opposing teams, usually only win with 1 or 2 goals against bottom of the table teams and usually draw against the bigger ones.

The main problem I'm seeing currently is that against narrow teams, maybe even with two DMs my CMs find now space to operate in and the lone striker is isolated since the wingers are too far away from him. It also doesn't help that crossing seems to be awful for quite a while now. I'm currently trying to build a second formation that emulates his 4-3-3 with WBs and IFs. To have some variety when I meet and opponent that I need to pull apart more. I also want to build his 3-4-3 to play when I meet teams with 2 strikers and follow the rule that I always have one more defender on the pitch than my opponent has strikers. In the 4-3-3 I sometimes solve this by changing my DM to an Anchor man who actually helps cover for the defenders quite well.

Still would be great to see the input that other people have on his tactics. I also feel like I'm super unsure on what mentality and structure to use. My first reaction is to always try and use fluid when I think about Pep's tactics but I feel that ingame the structured setting with a lot of support roles in the team might actually be a closer fit. So yeah I hope one of the tactic gurus on here takes a look at Guardiola's Man City tactics and helps me to translate them into ingame tactics.

I can only recommend doing the Guardiola at City tactics. After a slow start it's now actually working like a charm for me.

PL_table.thumb.PNG.a82da6c0efa49b09df9e0d209f46566d.PNG

CL_table.thumb.PNG.c6667e127da617b792190f64335065ec.PNG

Had to do a lot of tweaking in the first 5 or 6 games till I found the balance. Here are the three tactics I have settled for so far.

The main Tactic a 4-3-3 with IWBs that forms the amazing low block with three players and is incredibly stable at the back. Since changing to a F9 in attack even my attack is starting to really click and I had a couple of higher socring games of late.

433_IWBs.thumb.PNG.5fe606b505a884a6ce97dd0d4256bff4.PNG

I still have to micro manage certain stuff. For example I switch the DM to a HB or Anchor man and one of the Mezzalas to support if I face a two striker attack. Sometimes if the opposition gets too many dangerous attacks going I switch the two of IWBs and the DM to defend, give both my wingers attacking duties and switch from short passing to normal passing.

Alternative tactic is the 433 with Wingbacks, which I usually employ against teams who really block the center and completely mark my CMs out of the game. Sometimes I even change the support DM to a DLP-S in hopes to pull some of the defensive midfielders out to close him down.

433_WBs.thumb.PNG.462250835bd974d035b13bf80b70e045.PNG

Same goes here for the DM as in the other tactic if up against two strikers.

Last tactic I used was the 3-1-4-2 described in the video although I use wingbacks and not wide midfielders like described in the video.

3142_alternative.thumb.PNG.9513b9fb1bdbe830f8c4246a59a9248b.PNG

I rarely used this tactic though and only employed it against one team so far who was playing a 4-3-1-2. This way I could guarantee all their three central attackers had one man against them and I still outnumbered their two strikers by one CB. I'm really excited for this tactic especially since I don't even have the perfect players for this tactic yet. Planning to go all out for either Asensio or Isco and Dybala or Griezmann in the summer to get a better MEZ and a quality F9 in.

ANNOUNCEMENT

Dear all:

due to there being an overwhelming number of threads, based on Guardiola's Man City, I have decided not to do my own thread on it to prevent an over saturation of it. However, I will being doing some input on the current one. 

Guardiola's Man City will be taken out as an option. Instead, the next best topic voted will be chosen to be done next year.

Thank you for your support and do drop a follow!

Thank you everyone for voting! The winner of this month-Long  post... is Manchester United Ferguson’s 07/08 Champions League winning side with a total of 19 votes! EXpect an article of it to come out within a few months. Thanks to everyone for voting!

• 1 month later...
  • FrazT locked this topic

Archived