With / Without Ball

Can someone clarify if with ball is your team shape for with ball is for when you are defending and without ball for when you are attacking. The reason I ask is that on occassions when I look at the tactical analysis for this 15 or 30 minutes into a game when you click without ball (attacking) the players are further back then when the positions for with ball and obviously if you are attacking you wont run backwards. I always though in old FM with ball was defending and  without attacking. On my last game looking at the analysis after 15 minutes the opposition players without the ball are narrow and in the middle of the pitch where without the ball they are spaced further apart but more towards the goal

4q0wzn.jpg

1zd9cet.png

31 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

without the ball should be the defensive phase and the with the ball should be attacking phase. if it isn't, it is named wrongly. 

Thats what I thought - I would though have expected in the defensive phase the players to be narrower and deeper and attacking futher up and wider  but in the example in the defensive phase they are further up and narrow and in the attacking phase they are are wider but have moved backwards instead of forwards

45 minuti fa, wazza ha scritto:

in the defensive phase the players to be narrower and deeper and attacking futher up and wider  but in the example in the defensive phase they are further up and narrow and in the attacking phase they are are wider but have moved backwards instead of forwards

well, that is unusual and against the basic football logic but could have a number of valid explanations. however, if you notice it happens regularly and also with AI teams, it is worth posting in the bugs section.

10 minutes ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

What does it look like after the full match? And how is the match going and how much of that time have you spent with/out the ball. (You should also be able to turn on both views on the same screenshot to make it easier to see the differences)

See below it looks better now as you can see - could it be to do with the time spent with and without ball - I tend to analyse the matches during them - every 15, 30, half time and 60 minutes to see if the oppositions shape and see if I can exploit it if they are playing, narrow, wide etc and then picked this up - not sure if its a bug or how it should be - how would you tell

It just didnt seem right that the players in the were more further back in the attacking phase then the defensive one

123xhc8.png

2laa2ae.png

mwbebk.png

Yeah it will be affected by how the match is going and how much of the ball you've had - if you were attacking and had most of the ball and quickly regained possession then your without the ball positions would be fairly high as you haven't been without the ball long enough for the players to get back into defensive positions - similar thing if you were defending most of the time and lumped the ball forward when getting it only to give it away again would mean you haven't had the ball long enough for your players to get forward etc...

Archived