Just Can't Stop Cheating

Hi, my name is puntyboy82 and I'm a compulsive cheater :). I'e been drinking now about 18 yea....oops... sorry... playing Football Manager/Championship Manager since the grand old days of 95/96 (The big green box for the PC).

I literally cannot play this game (or any release since 2000 since I left college where my mates could watch me and I couldn't  cheat)  without using the "Add New Manager" function, swiping all their money, deliberately messed up my rivals teams, etc. Hell, before I  even boot up a new game I download the editor and jack my young players attributes up, check all the players attributes and give myself an extra Billion pounds to make life easy. Its pathetic.

To my question- why the hell is there a "No way to cheat mode". I.e - No adding more managers, no quitting after a bad result (maybe the game could set you back a month if you quit without saving, maybe no manual saving, no saving right before a match) Some of these suggestions don' even make sense but maaaan I'm desperate!!! 

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? Twelve step program?  I try on every new game and promise myself no cheating. I usually last about a month or two (Gametime 🤔) before I decide a handy 200 million from Arsenal is a great Idea. Its like putting a Vodka bottle in front of an Alcoholic having these cheat options so easy. And dont say "Just dont cheat". Might as well say "Just don' play FM" and that sure ain't gonna happen.

There is one thing I'd like to see them implement which would stop this being possible and that would be some kind of persistent saving. Something like the Ironman mode in XCom or more recently the constant save that occurs while playing Getting Over It With Bennett Foddy (great little indie game).

Essentially it's a setting that when enabled constantly saves your game, every time you take any action at all it saves and so as soon as you've done something you cannot go back and redo it.

Not sure how they'd make this work with FM given the fact that it currently takes a number of seconds to save, but if they could get it to work somehow I think it's a setting that would be appreciated by a lot of weak willed people such as myself!

Good to know there's people out there like myself. Maybe this could be the beginning of FMCA (Football Manager Cheaters Anonymous) where we meet in local areas once or twice a week, say the serenity prayer and offer each other support. Signing Leon Goretska for 100 k playing behind Dybala, Dolberg and Emre Mor 2 seasons in with Newcastle on my first save on FM 18, its getting beyond a joke now. 

Get the finger out S.I!!! 

Because I feel like there's so much more to this game and I'm missing out. We've all heard stories about people taking ridiculously small clubs like Burton Albion and turning them into Barcelona. Is that even possible in our lifetime? Or were they just cheating too?? I just can't fathom that level of genuine success. 

Something like that is certainly possible, Puntyboy. It just takes a lot of time and patience. A player who is at least reasonable at most of the game will always have an advantage because the AI is always going to have limitations. Until SI integrates Skynet but that will just instigate Judgement Day so it won't matter anyway. A human manager can certainly do a better job of squad building than the AI. A human manager can tactically adapt more effectively than the AI. The key to that kind of save would be patience. Even over-achieving quite significantly, that is a long process.

There is definitely something more satisfying about accomplishing something in game legitimately. In developing players you didn't edit, didn't find with a scouting tool, and so on. Of winning a title or a cup where you didn't reload - whether it was a rage quit or simply doing mulligans until you got the result you wanted. And while I never ever begrudge someone using a tactic created by someone else, I've definitely found it more fun once I started trying things on my own tactically - even if the base ideas came from folks like Cleon, Rashidi, and Ozil-to-the-Arsenal.

But at the end of the day, this is a game. No matter what you accomplish and how legitimately, its still a game. You can't put "took Burton Albion to the top club in the world" on your CV and expect anyone but another FMer to appreciate that. And a game has to be fun. So if the way you play is currently fun and playing in different ways is not, that has to be a consideration. Because when the game stops being fun.... what's the point...?

Its your game and the point of any game is to get enjoyment out of it.  There are tens of thousands of other users who use editors or other tools to increase that enjoyment so you are not alone by any means.  Play the game whichever way you want

I think it is important to implement some rules for yourself. I like to allow myself two reloads per season, but for each match I reload I then have to reload a match that I initially won. It feels a bit less gamey when I remove some of the 4 goal comebacks and 5 woodwork hits in a match results. I know weird things happen in real life, but since this isn't real life, the weird things feel inauthentic somehow.

• 4 weeks later...

To me, cheating is the only way to play this game. I don't see why that newly promoted team should have their 20 game losing streak ending when playing away against me. No reason to lose against that tier 3 league team in a cup game. Always save before a player/team interaction to avoid the player rage career death.  No "exciting"  94:th minute game winning goals. I don't care why this happen, I'm just replaying until I get a result I feel is acceptable.

Il 8/12/2017 in 21:56 , Puntyboy ha scritto:

Because I feel like there's so much more to this game and I'm missing out. We've all heard stories about people taking ridiculously small clubs like Burton Albion and turning them into Barcelona. Is that even possible in our lifetime? Or were they just cheating too?? I just can't fathom that level of genuine success. 

It takes time, patience and luck.

But mostly time and patience.

Frankly, the hardest part is making it to the 4th/5th season, more or less the point when AI managers have had enough time to destroy most Top Clubs with asinine signings. Also, if playing at a lower level, you'll be able to take advantage of two major AI flaws:

It doesn't recognize flawed prospects and decent players get snubbed on the market because of the old "PPA vs Club Reputation" conundrum.

Basically you'll be able to snatch plenty of perfectly good players rotting on the free agents list, while selling pseudo-wonderkids to AI clubs in the higher divisions.

P.S. If I can suggest you a "12 steps guide" to play cheating-free, you'd try avoiding adding new managers to boost your finances (or to destroy a rival team). Stick to a "once per season" extra sponsorship via the real-time editor and to a handful of strategic reloads.
You'll enjoy the game much more, and you'll start to find a certain pleasure even in defeat. Then over time, you'll learn not to add extra funds at all and will not reload on knockout stages or in the final N matchdays...

There was a time where I would only play with the editor, not even the game, to make my club absolutely stacked with talent. I would very rarely play with the databases I created, but I loved moving players around and thinking "what if?" I also had my days of funneling money into the clubs I managed via in-game editors. Now, I am much more interested in the tactic side of the game, so I don't need the money/players to move around as much to enjoy the game.

That's the best part about the series, though; it is what you make it and there's no wrong way to play!

On 08/12/2017 at 19:13, mack4ever said:

There is one thing I'd like to see them implement which would stop this being possible and that would be some kind of persistent saving. Something like the Ironman mode in XCom or more recently the constant save that occurs while playing Getting Over It With Bennett Foddy (great little indie game).

Essentially it's a setting that when enabled constantly saves your game, every time you take any action at all it saves and so as soon as you've done something you cannot go back and redo it.

Not sure how they'd make this work with FM given the fact that it currently takes a number of seconds to save, but if they could get it to work somehow I think it's a setting that would be appreciated by a lot of weak willed people such as myself!

Problem with that is the crash dumps.  I have it a rolling save.  Worst I have had is only having to replay six weeks due to a crash dump, though others have had it worse.  Which is their own fault I guess for not saving enough.

1st off puntboy82, keep doing what you do, play it how you want too. Back in the day me and my brother would discuss what players we would steal while the game was setting up.

I made my peace with "cheating" years ago. One thing that pushed me over the edge was having a bid rejected only to see another team sign the player for half the price a couple of days later.......Infuriating!

Now i love the editors, pre game and ingame, its one of THE most important features to me. The very first thing i do, in Every new Fm is change work permits.

To me buyin, say a Brazilain 17 year old or a 26 year old non league Korean and letting them flourish in the championship or lower league is how i play my game... always.

It works both ways as both me and the AI benefit from this. It makes for such an exciting game.

Some call it cheating, i do not. To me im tailoring my game to how i like it.

Once again i think this steams from an old Man U, Fabio/Rafael, issue I had about work permits...Whats good for one and all that!

My addiction tho is youth intake day. I should work for the research team the amount of time i spend reloading intake day! (seriously weekends)

Sometimes im not even happy with one gem and reload untill i get 2 or 3 (believe me its possible). And the saves.....one with a keeper, one with the new "whoever" i just carnt stop. I sometimes jack up the rep of teams i dont manage just to see who THEY intake.......its relentless

But the Gems.....Wow, there always worth the wait. My biggest problem then, is which save to continue with.

If only there was an editor to put all my regens from all my saves into one save! 

Once again Cheating? Sure. But its what i love about FM and all its previous installments. You really can tailor each game to make it totally individual.

P.S Never take my editors away

I don't really see it as cheating. You're playing a game how you want to play it. I get enjoyment out of 2 'cheats', if you want to call them that. 1 being that I give unlimited money to a club, soemtimes a PL club, sometimes a bottom division club. And the 2nd one is using the the 'All Players Interested' but not touching the money. I've had some really enoyable saves with these 2. I've never reloaded a save a though, but if this what you get enjoyment out of, then so be it.

I cheat in 2 ways:

1. I check the PA of my youth intake and reload if I don't get anything useful. I usually play lower league so I don't get to keep the players as any good ones get bought by better clubs. It's my way of getting some income from my youths. 

2. I often save before a game. If the result of the game is "something ridiculous" eg. Lose with 6 cc's vs 1 shot on target of the opposition, I reload the game and play "instant result". I accept whatever the result is of the instant result and move on. 

But that is my own play style. Maybe set your own and don't divert from them? 

On 1/1/2018 at 15:11, Viking said:

To me, cheating is the only way to play this game. I don't see why that newly promoted team should have their 20 game losing streak ending when playing away against me. No reason to lose against that tier 3 league team in a cup game. Always save before a player/team interaction to avoid the player rage career death.  No "exciting"  94:th minute game winning goals. I don't care why this happen, I'm just replaying until I get a result I feel is acceptable.

Best comment. I couldn't agree more. The game is far from realistic at times. So, nothing like reloading a save to ensure reality prevails!  

I used to cheat non-stop using an alternative in game editor. This year i decided not to bother as I got bored easily with previous years saves due to winning everything and having all best youths etc.  I started FM18 with Ajax (easy team I know) and haven't cheated once. Cannot tell you how much more I am enjoying the save having not cheated. I do use user created tactics as i don't get to play as much as I'd like and using one of these saves me time having to tinker and master it. 

On 04/01/2018 at 02:30, fmonit said:

I cheat in 2 ways:

1. I check the PA of my youth intake and reload if I don't get anything useful. I usually play lower league so I don't get to keep the players as any good ones get bought by better clubs. It's my way of getting some income from my youths. 

I like the thought of that one. Do a 'youth only' save and bump up the youth recruitment stats beforehand. Might just do one of those.

Archived