Sports Interactive Community
bassistuk

What if FM had a DLC where you could be a football player?

How would you feel if FM was expanded far beyond being a manager ? Maybe you could start a new game and play as a football player? Go through a players point of view of football? Start at Sunday league and work your way to the top type of thing... And after several years you could apply to be  a football manager and continue the game as the Normal way!  I think FM's design and game engine andpresentation style could easily be used, could work really well.

You know you can always play the FIFA games yeah? on PS2 and/or playstation if you want to play as a player. This is called Player MANAGER ...

Not a good idea. There are games already focused on this, and it's not for FM to venture into this field.

I already do that via 2 apps known as the editor and imagination.

I'm the manager of a tier 8 side, my wife is the chairman and our 15 year old son in in the squad along with his academy pals.

I don't understand why this topic keeps popping up so frequently. This is a football MANAGEMENT game. There's 2 major, AAA, releases every year that are exclusively about playing football as a player(s). Why do people keep requesting this? 

4 hours ago, meadowsaaron02 said:

You know you can always play the FIFA games yeah? on PS2 and/or playstation if you want to play as a player. This is called Player MANAGER ...

It's actually called Football Manager but we get your point ;)

This would be nothing like fifa or pes. It would still be like FM but you would be a player not a manager. Otherwise I wouldn't raise the topic. Fifa or pes is a different entity. 

How would you control your player? Maybe some form of hand held input device like those used to play FIFA & PES? 

I’m sure you can see where I’m going with this.

1 hour ago, bassistuk said:

This would be nothing like fifa or pes. It would still be like FM but you would be a player not a manager. Otherwise I wouldn't raise the topic. Fifa or pes is a different entity. 

Ok explain how it would be different? explain how you see it working.

Do we control what we as a player do on the pitch? if yes then it will be like those but if not then what? we do nothing but just click continue see if we are picked, then see how we perform and have some interaction with manager? and we do this until we hang up our boots and become a manager?

The game just isn't modelled this way - and it's designed the way it is because it is so successful. It's so different to lots of other games out there that they would lose their USP if they decided to go the route of other Football games. 

Instead, I'd prefer they expand the football management side of it. 

For instance, perhaps you could start as a coach - and earn your badges etc. Coaching would involve training the players, bringing their levels up - you earn a wage, use your wages to better your coaching. Eventually up to assistant manager - then full on manager.

I know people are going to kick and scream reading that - but it could make sense for someone starting off in the game for the first time. 

Being a coach would give you limited roles within the squad, you wouldn't pick players for match day, but you could recommend a player is ready to step up etc. It could give valuable insight into how to develop players without having to worry about match picking, financials, squad building etc. 

Being assistant manager you'd take on the reserves/u18s etc and manage them, giving you the same style as a manager, but less responsibility and focus on you from the board. 

You could then be approached by a club or your current club to be manager. 

I know it's a simplistic explanation - but for someone getting into the game it would open up understandings in player stats, development, match picking, tactics, squad harmony, training, etc. 

3 hours ago, Smurf said:

The game just isn't modelled this way - and it's designed the way it is because it is so successful. It's so different to lots of other games out there that they would lose their USP if they decided to go the route of other Football games. 

Instead, I'd prefer they expand the football management side of it. 

For instance, perhaps you could start as a coach - and earn your badges etc. Coaching would involve training the players, bringing their levels up - you earn a wage, use your wages to better your coaching. Eventually up to assistant manager - then full on manager.

I know people are going to kick and scream reading that - but it could make sense for someone starting off in the game for the first time. 

Being a coach would give you limited roles within the squad, you wouldn't pick players for match day, but you could recommend a player is ready to step up etc. It could give valuable insight into how to develop players without having to worry about match picking, financials, squad building etc. 

Being assistant manager you'd take on the reserves/u18s etc and manage them, giving you the same style as a manager, but less responsibility and focus on you from the board. 

You could then be approached by a club or your current club to be manager. 

I know it's a simplistic explanation - but for someone getting into the game it would open up understandings in player stats, development, match picking, tactics, squad harmony, training, etc. 

I do agree with the approach if managing youth sides or reserves. Not so much coaching though. By managing the associated sides, you get to deal with tactics, squad selection and possibly some scouting and transfer business too. There would be the problems of players being called up to the senior squad, having to play players the manager wants to regain fitness, having players dumped on you that you might not want. But that's similar to dealing with injuries and an interfering board. After all, the game is a problem solver. For some it could be a training level equivalent, for others a place to play with tactics. Makes more sense than any chairman/shopping spree idea.

It would be nice if when setting up your profile, you could set up a past playing history, perhaps for your favourite club, or the one you intend to manage. "Fans favourite takes over as Manager" sort of thing.

Yeh there's a history profile in place - and past history, but nothing accurate

However, if you were setup as a club legend taking over a management in a club - wouldn't the clubs  history have to be altered?

At the moment its vague as to what your past experience was.