Lewandowski ending international career

Why is Lewandowski always retiring from international football in 2017? It's the same in FM2017 and FM2018. I had this happening in every save I played.

He's 29 at that time and at the height of his career, why would he do that?

There are examples of this all over the place (Shearer, Scholes, Lahm to name a few) [Messi toyed with it after Argentina failed to qualify automatically]; Poland don't qualify for the WC, he retires as he doesn't see the point of playing in pointless friendlies and qualifying matches without the chance of a major competition.

39 minutes ago, Geordieboy52 said:

There are examples of this all over the place (Shearer, Scholes, Lahm to name a few) [Messi toyed with it after Argentina failed to qualify automatically]; Poland don't qualify for the WC, he retires as he doesn't see the point of playing in pointless friendlies and qualifying matches without the chance of a major competition.

At risk of straying off topic... didn't Argentina qualify for the World Cup automatically? I'm pretty sure Messi retired after the 2016 Copa América, but was persuaded to come back.

55 minutes ago, Prej said:

Exactly.

Perhaps not in game though...

54 minutes ago, Romano338 said:

Qualified or not, he's 29... he shouldn't retire

Why not? It's his decision.

2 hours ago, CFuller said:

At risk of straying off topic... didn't Argentina qualify for the World Cup automatically? I'm pretty sure Messi retired after the 2016 Copa América, but was persuaded to come back.

Yep, you're right, I got mixed up. Sorry

il y a 12 minutes, Geordieboy52 a dit :

Why not? It's his decision.

If that's real news, then ok. Hven't seen it though, maybe I missed it. But if it happened in 17, doubt it is.

If that's just the game... well let's try to not always defend the game for everything that happens. You guys always hae the most ridiculous excuses to everything that happen in this game. Soetimes, it's just broken and need to be fixed.

48 minutes ago, Romano338 said:

If that's real news, then ok. Hven't seen it though, maybe I missed it. But if it happened in 17, doubt it is.

If that's just the game... well let's try to not always defend the game for everything that happens. You guys always hae the most ridiculous excuses to everything that happen in this game. Soetimes, it's just broken and need to be fixed.

What utter tripe, the game has its drawbacks but there are so many players who value a long club career over their international career.  Ryan Giggs played for Wales for 16 years and only won 64 caps because for most of his time Wales were pretty much a non-entity so he didn't value playing for them.  Paul Scholes retired because he didn't feel valued by international colleagues, Alan Shearer retired so he could play longer at club level, as did Phillip Lahm.  Your quote that people defend the game regardless can only exist if there are people who think every tiny thing that 'doesn't go their way' is a bug.  Why don't you manage Poland from the start, see if you qualify for the WC in game and see what happens to Lewandowski before labelling this a bug.  If it is report it, if it isn't get on with it and play the game.  We may have to agree to disagree on this one.

Definitely not a bug, just a rather odd thing I observed.

Geordieboy might be onto something saying that Lewy would retire if Poland wouldn't qualify for the WC, though I think he actually wouldn't do that in real life. Considering his fitness and form, he could easily go for another WC qualification aged 32/33.

Archived