[FM18] O'Leary's Leeds United - If I Could Turn Back Time

Ellandroadhero

Nov 18

5a38d4a338d74_Nov18.thumb.png.5ee7dec99fae418fed0a52f2bf76d448.png

A month of fine margins, but an unbeaten month! The fact that I was disappointed to end the month in 6th place, when I would have been 3rd had we had on against Newcastle, tells you how much this team is over-achieving, and how well we're emulating O'Leary's Leeds, who defied expectations through the Champions League run and were always suited as underdogs. 

West Ham 2-2 Leeds (OG, Dempsey a:Alioski)

Another one of our great comebacks. This team always runs to the end and we got our reward for not giving up as Dempsey scored in the last 10 minutes as Alioski crossed for a back post header. This is one of our most common goal types, which is really pleasing, as it emulates how Bowyer used to arrive late in the box. The one area of his game I'd like to add in is some more goals scored from outside the box, but I'd need to find the perfect player for that. 

Leeds 1-0 Liverpool (Albrighton a:Alioski)

The first half was the best we've played all season, Liverpool couldn't deal with our tempo and we should have been 3 or 4 up at the break. Zohore missed two one on ones. I was ready to rest him for a few games after this, but he ended up getting injured for 6 weeks. Once again we scored at the back post, as Alioski did great work on the left, cutting back to hsi right foot and swinging the ball over to Albrighton, who headed back across goal into the net. In the second half Liverpool upped their tempo and pushed us hard, but we held on for a massive 3 points. 

5a38d6ccad328_ScreenShot2017-12-18at23_13_52.thumb.png.eefd1bfa08677a84d3b138d0a667dc54.png

Newcastle 1-1 Leeds (Alioski pen)

Again, a really strong first half, where we should have been in the lead by more, but we had to settle for Alioski's penalty. Butland was in inspired form, saving a Newcastle penalty and looking unbeaten until the shoe was on the other foot when it comes to late goals and Newcastle buried one from 30 yards. Butland would have been disappointed, but it was a quality strike and St James' Park isn't an easy place to go. An unbeaten month isn't to be sniffed at, especially when our only target is survival this year. Anything else is a bonus! 

--------------

Meanwhile:

5a38d7d63b045_ScreenShot2017-12-19at00_11_10.thumb.png.ef6b2a506b0580f6d34025dd3cf8202e.png

So, a foreign player quota. I'm not that fussed really as I want to make our team a young british core, like O'Leary's Leeds, so I can't see myself wanting to break that quota anyway. 

December and Jan will be a massive challenge for our squad... 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting idea and great read, given you a follow.

I remember this era well and indeed one of my first footballing memories is Rangers beating Leeds home and away in 1992 in the era just before so always had a wee soft spot for Leeds IRL, not in FM since they sacked me in FM14 after I won them promotion to Premiership from League 1 and the got bought out and wanted their own manager...not that I'm still bitter :herman::mad:.

Interesting you are trying to replicate player type as opposed to just resurrecting Leeds.

1 hour ago, metallimuse said:

Interesting idea and great read, given you a follow.

I remember this era well and indeed one of my first footballing memories is Rangers beating Leeds home and away in 1992 in the era just before so always had a wee soft spot for Leeds IRL, not in FM since they sacked me in FM14 after I won them promotion to Premiership from League 1 and the got bought out and wanted their own manager...not that I'm still bitter :herman::mad:.

Interesting you are trying to replicate player type as opposed to just resurrecting Leeds.

Thanks! Yeah, I wanted to try and recreate the style of play I fell in love with as a boy, so getting in the right players to do that is the only way. Leeds fans love nothing more than a lad who went from watching from the stands, to the academy, to the first team. My ultimate goal is to bring through homegrown players to take us to the champions league! 

Trying to do that with my current Aberdeen save, 8 years in and still never got out of the Champions League groups :seagull: and spent millions on facilities and youth set up so far peppered with only Scottish signings if my regen crop isn't good enough and I need a player. But even then I only sign youngsters with potential. Don't think I've spent more than £3m on any one player yet and hoping to have to.

1 hour ago, metallimuse said:

Trying to do that with my current Aberdeen save, 8 years in and still never got out of the Champions League groups :seagull: and spent millions on facilities and youth set up so far peppered with only Scottish signings if my regen crop isn't good enough and I need a player. But even then I only sign youngsters with potential. Don't think I've spent more than £3m on any one player yet and hoping to have to.

Nice! I’m not limiting myself completely, as O’Leary made some big signings like Ferdinand and Dacourt, but I want a young British core to the side and most importantly the playing style. 

Dec 18:

5a398fc00447b_Dec18.thumb.png.978ad4af449ab5251d8c0f3e8b5b9a83.png

I was really worried about this month as I didn't think our squad depth could cope, but it turned out very well I thought! 

Leeds 1-1 Everton (Kun a:Saiz)

A decent performance, though Everton probably edged it, we got a good point at home. I gave Kun a chance to start in this busy period and he too his chance well, prodding home at the near post from a Saiz cross. Unfortunately for him, he got injured and wouldn't get a chance to impress further. Haris equalised in the 70th min and we were clinging on from there, but Jansson was a rock. 

Arsenal 2-0 Leeds

We've had some great performances against top teams, but this wasn't great as we were well beaten. Hugill hadn't scored for a few games and missed a good chance, which was worrying. 

Watford 0-2 Leeds (Roofe, Ekuban a:Alioski)

We needed a win and got it with a perfect away performance. Roofe put us ahead by robbing the ball from a dallying centre back and finishing, whilst Ekuban, given a chance over the struggling Hugill, put the result beyond doubt by running onto an Alioski through ball and burying it first time. 

Brighton 1-1 Leeds (Albrighton a:Roofe)

Brighton are another of the surprise packages in the league, so a point here was good. We took the lead through Albrighton, but Brighton scored from a corner, after having two other goals from set pieces disallowed, so we can't complain.

Leeds 2-0 West Brom (Hugill a:Alioski; Velazquez a:Zohore)

Well deserved win. I lit a fire in Hugill by telling him he needed to score and he did after being sent through one on one. Zohore, still yet to score, but back from injry, then flicked a corner on for Velazquez to volley home and seal the win. 

Chelsea 3-1 Leeds (OG)

We didn't deserve anything as Chelsea battered us, but we did lead for nearly an hour, so that's a shame. 

5a3995496a6e4_ScreenShot2017-12-19at22_13_31.thumb.png.ddb451be6ddd2e631f4de5ff7f7b8df1.png

5a399559d517a_ScreenShot2017-12-19at22_14_08.thumb.png.233e2613a7f097d8b76312f47769fffb.png

7th at new year is incredible! Our tactic works really well. Again though, I'm struggling to replicate Viduka. Zohore feels an expensive mistake, he's ben injured a lot, but when he plays he misses sitters. 

Jan 19

Jan18.thumb.png.c57cd51e965fe64615e81ace600ca4ba.png

A good month, but it could have been phenomenal. The Spurs and City games were far closer than I ever imagined. This team is brilliant! 

The month started with West Ham and Newcastle offering me the management jobs, but obviously I wasn't going to do that! Next up the board offered me the chance to change the season expectations, but as it didn't give us a decent transfer budget, I decided to leave it as is. I know we can do better than avoiding relegation, but I thought I'd stick with that as anything we do now is overachieving and I want the board on side! 

Leeds 3-0 Oldham (Kun a:Albrighton; Ekuban a:Albrighton; Morgan a:Hanson)

I rested the majority of the first team here. I'm most concerned with climbing the league at the moment. I'll look to win a cup in the future when I know we've got more of a squad depth. 3-0 was a good win though as Kun scored again. I do have high hopes for him. Morgan finally made his debut after being injured ever since signing in the summer and he scored in the final minute of the game. He should make good back up for Alioski as our Harry Kewell. 

Leeds 2-1 Bournemouth (Costas a:Saiz; Hugill a:Saiz) 

This was a great win for us. We didn't need a desperate comeback this time as we played well enough throughout to win. Costas got his first goal for the club, heading in from a Saiz free-kick. Against the run of play, Afobe equalised after Butland was only able to parry a shot back into his path. Fortunately for us, we took the lead again in the 80th minute as Hugill headed in after Saiz was given the freedom of the Bournemouth penalty area to chip to the back post. 

Tottenham 4-3 Leeds (Hugill a:Saiz; Vieira a:Alioski; Alioski a:Saiz)

This was gutting. I never expected to compete in these games this season, but we were in the lead for longer than we were behind, but still lost. Immobile put Spurs into the lead early on, only for us to reply quickly through Hugill, back on form, and then take the lead 10 minutes later, through Vieira, sweeping home from the edge of the area. Eriksen equalised for Spurs, but again we took the lead - Alioski blasting home a rebound from a Saiz strike. Disappointingly though, Spurs equalised again 5 minutes later and stole the points in the 86th minute, Immobile bagging a brace. Worse than that though, Hugill picked up an injury and is out for 6 weeks. 

5a3a8601614a0_ScreenShot2017-12-20at12_20_05.thumb.png.5b3f6fa52629af20e9a253562faa178b.png

5a3a86134f92f_ScreenShot2017-12-20at12_20_16.thumb.png.ae85bd1c26d25a3aa9b2d8256d9ae7d9.png

Leeds 1-2 Man City (Kun a:Ekuban)

Again we gave it a great go. Kun picking up his first goal in a genuine big game. Unfortunately though, we gave the ball away in the centre of the park late in the game, and Sanchez punished us as City transitioned to attack too fast for our defence to get back into shape. 

5a3a86a317670_ScreenShot2017-12-20at13_02_55.thumb.png.65b30211558f71c93f881208f2ce4bef.png

Leeds 5-1 Huddersfield (Roofe x2 a:Alioski; Ekuban x2 a:Roofe, Alioski; Shaughnessy a:Alioski)

I was so glad we won this one, after two losses and knowing that we owed them one after we lost to them early in the season. The Roofe/Ekuban partnership was back as Hugill was injured, and back with a bang as they ripped the Huddersfield back four apart. Shaughnessy scored a lovely goal in stoppage time, playing in the david batty role off the bench as Phillips was tired. 

5a3a880db80ee_ScreenShot2017-12-20at13_37_04.thumb.png.d8e6e51128070c5534d5ec1b636a86ba.png

Swansea 0-0 Leeds

Nothing to report. We were poor and I expected better. Still, we're in great shape in the league and I'm happy! 

5a3a886663bfe_ScreenShot2017-12-20at16_01_10.thumb.png.c0bb285462388acaf28f08cf779b19cd.png

I've lost all patience with Zohore and have transfer listed him. I got Sierhuis in from Ajax on loan as another option as he can also play as a target man. Watch this space. 

5a3a8ae077979_ScreenShot2017-12-20at16_09_39.thumb.png.a96b393a812cb59b892a2cee59cba6ff.png

Feb'19

5a3ab3551b97b_Feb19.thumb.png.61c00136a847355bc269e99469628a89.png

An excellent month! I didn't care about the FA Cup, so the main thing was that I was delighted to go the month unbeaten in the league. Beating Man Utd would have been the icing on the cake if it wasn't for this: 

5a3ab3bcc5c84_ScreenShot2017-12-20at18_49_29.thumb.png.5155ebdee75263fd0179063181af90ba.png

Kenneth Zohore finally scored! He tried his best to miss, as he smashed it straight at the keeper, but fortunately, there was enough power on it and it went through. First goal for the club in Feb is very poor, but hopefully this is the end of his nightmare now. 

Leeds 0-1 Wolves

Played the reserves. We actually dominated, but couldn't score. Oh well. 

Leeds 2-1 Man Utd (Sierhuis a:Saiz, Roofe a:Alioski)

Phenomenal stuff. We took the lead through Sierhuis, making his first start for Leeds. He took the goal really well as Saiz slipped him through one on one with De Gea. Roofe then put us 2-0 up early in the 2nd half and then we weathered the red storm. Vieira was sent off, but we dug in and got a massive result. 4 points from Man United this season. Thank you very much!

5a3ab504842ca_ScreenShot2017-12-20at17_16_57.thumb.png.b274cb0f686eb4277fbb367aef216354.png

Leeds 6-1 Fulham (Alioski x3 a:Albrighton x2; Shaughnessy a:Zohore; Roofe a:Albrighton; Hugill a:Alioski)

We went 1-0 down to a penalty and after that Alioski took over. Fulham didn't get near him and right now nobody is in his league for player of the season!

5a3ab5bde2f20_ScreenShot2017-12-20at17_50_14.thumb.png.27eaf9280f85c18ba9ffa20948f2d106.png

Leeds 1-1 Southampton (Zohore a:Alioski)

It finally happened! Southampton were by far the better team and we looked bereft of ideas until Alioski got down the left and crossed for Zohore, on as a desperation sub, got infront of his marker and broke his duck, after months of missing sitters. Let's pray he kicks on from here!

5a3ab6c4813a2_ScreenShot2017-12-20at19_19_02.thumb.png.f74f0cbc9420d64dcebd6001e8fb2750.png

7th after 27 games. What a team!

Very interesting thread and I look forward to your progress. I thought you would have given Zohore more time as he had just joined the club. But looks like loaning the striker from Ajax could be the kick up the ass for him. Will Solanke be a long term target for you for the Viduka role? 

5 hours ago, inthisspace said:

Very interesting thread and I look forward to your progress. I thought you would have given Zohore more time as he had just joined the club. But looks like loaning the striker from Ajax could be the kick up the ass for him. Will Solanke be a long term target for you for the Viduka role? 

I’ll give Solanke a look. I had such high hopes for Zohore, but he’s had a lot of chances and taken over half the season to score his first goal. That tells me pretty clearly he won’t be our Viduka. 

Mar'19

Mar19.thumb.png.2d63d271a06ab17a4fc63ededa68c412.png

A blip like we've not really seen this season. Fortunately, we turned it around in the final game!

Birmingham 1-0 Leeds

Very poor. We had no creativity and again played badly against a team that defends deep. Birmingham's goal came from some sloppy play on the edge of our own box, as Kalvin Phillips won the ball and gave it away seconds later. 

Leeds 1-1 West Ham (Hugill a:Vieira)

I'm happy with a point here as we had a definite hangover from the last game and were awful in the first half, though we did unexpectedly take a lead into half time as Hugill took advantage of a ball over the top. No complaints about the equaliser. 

Then... 

5a3c332395fc5_ScreenShot2017-12-21at17_26_13.thumb.png.8a37aa10b9b02d291c49627c64f6b2d6.png

Liverpool 3-1 Leeds (Alioski a:Hugill)

So Peacock-Farrel made his Prem debut in goal against Liverpool, in for the injured Butland, who's out for at least 6 weeks. For half an hour, it looked pretty good, but then we conceded 3 in 4 minutes and it was game over. It could be a long 6 weeks. 

5a3c346494dcd_ScreenShot2017-12-21at22_27_24.thumb.png.7821b0a5dc004227644ddf537ecb46ed.png

Leeds 3-1 Newcastle (Hugill x2 a:Alioski x2; Sierhuis a:Hugill)

A big 3 points to end a poor month. We raced into a 3-0 lead in 25 minutes, Hugill scoring twice from Alioski assists, one a great through ball through a gap in the defence and the other a cross to the near post. Sierhuis got the second after Hugill sent him clean through. He's been injured a bit, but I really like him and think I will try and sign him permanently as Zohore hasn't scored anymore! Newcastle got a goal back, but we weren't too concerned. 

Other notes from the month - we had our youth intake, but it was really disappointing. Our number one prospect was 3 star PA. I've ensured that won't happen again by getting the board to raise our junior coaching level and also by increasing recruitment. 

I'm also working on a tweaked tactic for when we need something different. I've started using an unbalanced 442 with a mezzala on the right of 3 centre mids and a winger still on the left. I think that might more accurately represent Bowyer, as he wasn't a true right midfielder, but I also think it would allow us to have a little more flair from Saiz in the half spaces. I will definitely need something up the sleeve next season as we have struggled against teams that defend deep against us and I think that will happen more when we aren't expected to be underdogs as often. 

April 19:

5a3cf0a2f2dae_April19.thumb.png.c0c4c53ada2bd9c1e735a1ad4ce9f514.png

I expected months like this before the season started, but now that I know we're capable of so much more, I'm really disappointed by it. Also, as we'd had only won one game last month, it means we've only won one game in 8, meaning I've called a team meeting to tell us we need to turn our form around, which they responded well to. Unfortunately though, our last 4 games of the season are Man City, Chelsea, West Brom and Brighton. I'd hope we'd win the last two, but only if our confidence isn't completely crushed by that point. It would be a shame to end a great season this badly.

In other news though, the board love me.

5a3cf17c44a23_ScreenShot2017-12-21at23_11_13.thumb.png.35419e82c3011fda3e48cc38cd0f6948.png

Everton 2-0 Leeds

Not good. Sandro was excellent for Everton and scored both goals, although Peacock-Farrel gifted him his second one. Peacock-Farrel is definitely not our Paul Robinson, although I think that will be a hard position to fill, as we won't find a back up keeper as good as our first team keeper without making him upset at playing time. 

Leeds 2-4 Arsenal (Hugill x2 a:Alioski, Sierhuis)

This was a real shame as if we hadn't been 2-0 down with Albrighton sent off, after only 3 minutes of the game, we could have got a result. Hugill got his 16th and 17th goals of the season to pull it back to 2-2 at half time, but Arsenal kicked on again in the second half and we couldn't come back twice. 

Leeds 3-5 Watford (Saiz a:Phillips; Sierhuis a:Hugill, Phillips)

Easily the most frustrating game of the season as we came back from 3-1 down to make it 3-3 in the 82nd minute, with Sierhuis continuing to impress with a brace. However, we just let Watford take their two goal advantage back far too easily, this time with no time to reply. 

5a3cf3f14148a_ScreenShot2017-12-22at12_04_42.thumb.png.8dedb00b3e7f7db40df310a79f3f46fa.png

Miraculously we haven't dropped from 9th, but we certainly won't be pushing for Europa League as I was thinking we could, and we'll instead be fighting to maintain a top half finish as the teams around us are all on similar points. We'll still have over achieved, but it's still disappointing.

May'19:

5a3d372020561_may19.thumb.png.91466a2e5ee9b0965817c047d858296c.png

So our run without a win continued until the last game of the season, but I was pleased not to lose against City and Chelsea. 

City 2-2 Leeds (Morgan a:Sierhuis; Sierhuis a:Hugill)

I shouldn't be disappointed with a point at the Etihad, but we led twice and Sterling didn't equalise until the 84th minute. Sierhuis was great, a;ways a thorn in City's side and he took his goal well after running through on the keeper. 

Leeds 1-1 Chelsea (Alioski a:Saiz)

A good point after Chelsea dominated but failed to add to Icardi's goal. Alioski headed us back on terms from Saiz's free kick on the hour mark. Zohore came on and missed two chances to win it. He's definitely gone. 

West Brom 1-1 Leeds (Morgan a:Arfield) 

I expected a win here but we ended up having to fight back from a goal down as we started very slowly. The goal was good as Morgan headed in at the back post, but we failed to create another good chance. 

Leeds 2-0 Brighton (Sierhuis a:Hugill; Hugill a:Sierhuis)

I was relieved we ended the season with a win! Sierhuis and Hugill make a great partnership. I hope to sign Sierhuis permanently, as well as another striker when the window opens. 

5a3d3abe7d207_ScreenShot2017-12-22at16_41_04.thumb.png.89977c52bf623ed786b46c61b30281ee.png

We finish 10th. Here are some key season stats, season review to follow. 

5a3d3af538fa8_ScreenShot2017-12-22at16_42_25.thumb.png.0bff2bd961aabacfb0fe4e232310bbee.png

5a3d3b12097f7_ScreenShot2017-12-22at16_42_37.thumb.png.343e245a3d58e340d60e086f27d25f35.png

5a3d3b13f1265_ScreenShot2017-12-22at16_42_43.thumb.png.262316ce78f8ba63fc046e118ed65c73.png

5a3d3b15d637c_ScreenShot2017-12-22at16_42_50.thumb.png.baf9d34b3a09b17b1612b13a615d466d.png

5a3d3b17c9dd9_ScreenShot2017-12-22at16_42_56.thumb.png.e83dcb3bcbf0761e973e5df3721bd442.png

5a3d3b19f1768_ScreenShot2017-12-22at16_43_31.thumb.png.7ea58917ed8ff568abfda15c319605d9.png

5a3d3b1b98fdf_ScreenShot2017-12-22at16_44_11.thumb.png.14049d80e85737e2c83232e83459c2f7.png

5a3d3b1d66e11_ScreenShot2017-12-22at16_44_24.thumb.png.e24e922f66a5b7c70b41f6920d06622a.png

5a3d3b1d66e11_ScreenShot2017-12-22at16_44_24.thumb.png.e24e922f66a5b7c70b41f6920d06622a.png

5a3d3b1f0f6b4_ScreenShot2017-12-22at16_44_33.thumb.png.41b71b5affc8119bf29cbceaab799101.png

End of Season Report: 

5a3d57792b60b_ScreenShot2017-12-22at17_11_37.thumb.png.c573767eef98db4b2ad7fb839ea0c72a.png

So, Alioski takes player of the season again. This season he was even better as he's totally settled in the Harry Kewell role on the left. We've tied him down to another 4 year contract with a 40m release clause. He's irreplaceable to us! Saiz and Albrighton rotated the Bowyer role and both brought something different to it. As mentioned, I've set up an alt tactic where the right mid is tucked in as a third centre mid with a mezzala attack role, which I then use Saiz for. I think this will be a good tactic for games where teams play defensively, as Saiz will find a little more space in the channels and still attack the box like Bowyer did. 

I'm surprised to see that Hugill didn't get any love from the fans when it came to awards, as he scored 18 goals for us and was phenomenal. 

5a3d577a9dafd_ScreenShot2017-12-22at17_42_45.thumb.png.b63f17a0338d0120b2e76f7c740ac530.png

55m to spend! Happy days! I need both full backs improved, I'm going to sign Sierhuis and I want a little more quality elsewhere... 

5a3d577c1fb89_ScreenShot2017-12-22at17_51_45.thumb.png.e6e896794836ccb110ff61b9557a0a0e.png5a3d577d91396_ScreenShot2017-12-22at17_51_59.thumb.png.4fa149bbce3d3cee20ca4732368f3fee.png

Finances looking good! We don't want to see that tumble off a cliff, as we don't want to recreate that side of O'Leary's Leeds! 

Altogether a phenomenal season. The target I gave the board was a mid-table finish, as I want to keep them on side, but my own personal target is to move towards Europa League qualification. We'll need to exceed expectations to do that, but we have for two seasons so far. 

This is going great! I love these kind of setups where the gameplan consists of running and crossing always at full speed :D

Keep it up :thup:

Where did Leeds rank in terms of goals scored and conceded? Do you score and concede many? How many clean sheets did you end up with?

3 hours ago, kingjericho said:

This is going great! I love these kind of setups where the gameplan consists of running and crossing always at full speed :D

Keep it up :thup:

Where did Leeds rank in terms of goals scored and conceded? Do you score and concede many? How many clean sheets did you end up with?

Thanks! We were in the top 5 scorers in the league! I don’t have the stats for it now unfortunately. First half of the season we were up there as the top side defensively, but conceded a lot more second half of the season. 

2019/2020 mid season update:

Results:

5a47d4cf0f40d_ScreenShot2017-12-30at18_01_17.thumb.png.6bd7016790987008947f40729185062c.png

League position:

5a47d4fe83776_ScreenShot2017-12-30at18_03_26.thumb.png.a7152487bdc92584f069cc1b92272b76.png

As you can see - we're doing well again! We could be doing so much better as well if we could just beat teams at the bottom. Dropped points against Stoke, Everton, West Brom, Watford etc have cost us a place in the top four. We even sat in 4th until a run of 3 games without a win at the end of December. 

Transfers: 

5a47d62795260_ScreenShot2017-12-30at18_08_27.thumb.png.7c7d750ef406cf0c417e2fc00ca895fc.png

If you've been following this project, you know that Zohore had to go. I was pretty pleased with the fee I got for him, and Sierhuis and Rescaldini have come in to share the Target Man role. They have both played massive parts in our position in the table, as Sierhuis has 6 league goals and 1 assist and Rescaldini has 6 goals and 2 assists. Definite upgrades on a player who couldn't hit a barn door. 

Murgia came in as he's a mezzala and I wanted to push on with using the imbalanced 442 with a mezzala as the Bowyer role. He's been good value. 

Paterson and Kingsley give us a little more quality in the full back positions, but they won't be long term, whilst Tousart provides competition for Phillips in the Batty role. 

I cleared out a lot of players who won't be getting games anymore. I was sad to let Ekuban and Roofe go as they basically won us the Championship with their end of season form, but they were just eating wages. 

My recruitment strategy going forwards is going to be more focussed on youngsters to bring through and I'm actively trying to scout teenagers who could be the closest emulations to O'Leary's players. Check out this guy joining in January, who will be our future Radebe! 

5a47d7d18a314_ScreenShot2017-12-30at18_15_32.thumb.png.c50d2bcbac588b0a90496514ca95a976.png

If I can get the nationalities for the players right, then I will. So far I have concentrated on player style, but I'd really love to get this team as close to the real deal as possible. 

I have also upgraded youth facilities, networking and junior coaching as much as possible, in the hope that I can train up my very own Alan Smith etc. O'Leary famously spent too much money when he was Leeds manager, but he was also famous for bringing through Leeds lads, who took the club so close to the Champions League final. My dream is to finally manage that goal, and doing it with Leeds youngsters just feels like the true way to do it. 

Highlights so far: 

5a47d8a2a8feb_ScreenShot2017-12-25at09_59_21.thumb.png.8ce702c4298696f680d28a157ad09cdc.png

This was just quality. Arsenal looked like they might thrash us, but Hugill had other ideas and took the game by the scruff of the neck and scored a quality brace to give us the win. His first goal was his own doing, taking the ball off the centre back and blasting past Cech, the second coming from a flick on from Sierhuis, which he ran onto and finished from range. Hugill isn't having as great a season as last year, perhaps due to the increased goal scoring from our target men, but he's still making important contributions. 

Leeds 2-2 Chelsea: I celebrated wildly when Sierhuis scored in stoppage time to steal a point! This prolonged our unbeaten run to 7 games and we were flying high! 

5a47d9f1561a0_ScreenShot2017-12-30at18_24_36.thumb.png.09be8de28001cfbe700a3d3a4a0674cb.png

The stats tell a lie here, as almost all of Huddersfield's possession and shots came in the second half when we were already 4-0 up. The Terriers are having a poor season, but it's always nice to thrash your local rivals. 

Disappointments: 

A few late goals have killed us. The Everton loss was particularly poor, as we had been 2-1 up in the 84th minute and ended up losing 3-2, whilst the Stoke game we gave away with a criminally high line when 1-0 up late in the game. 

The losses against Watford and West Brom in the end of December were atrocious. We didn't look like the same time that had been so impressive early in the season. 

Going forwards: 

I told the board I thought we could finish mid table, but I think we should easily be top half, and could even push for Europa League if we can get out of this mini slump quickly. I will aim to return to writing regular monthly reports now, but I have twin daughters and playing the game whilst holding them is a lot easier than writing about it... 

2019/2020 Season Review:

5a4a988dd52da_ScreenShot2018-01-01at20_03_37.thumb.png.dd83bc82f0270eac7040815eec409645.png

Another brilliant season! We only lost against the Manchester clubs in the league in the second half of the season, although we drew far too many games for my liking, including a run of 5 in a row. Still, it was enough to get us 7th place and a chance to qualify for the Europa League through the playoffs!

5a4a992f1e013_ScreenShot2018-01-01at20_02_40.thumb.png.6ffab810f4c35c8356874da70d8aef0b.png

Top scorers:

5a4a9c72a7ca5_ScreenShot2018-01-01at20_15_32.thumb.png.db39bfde7bda0dedf245fba2fa800bf1.png

A funny one really as we shared our goals out more, but finally got a Viduka like contribution from our centre forward. All our strikers had bad patches but they all seemed to misfire in that pesky run of draws!

Avg rating:

5a4a9dd171b2d_ScreenShot2018-01-01at20_15_40.thumb.png.13e19a40b11283712b42be80615c1819.png

Murgia shone as the mez role became more prominent. Alioski was brilliant again, although he did have a dip in form.

Youth recruitment:

5a4a9ea11f0b8_ScreenShot2018-01-01at20_04_39.thumb.png.032c347b4c12593288b50945e71f1f8c.png

5a4a9ea430409_ScreenShot2018-01-01at20_04_45.thumb.png.4594bb0ff9ed66f154466e52e7cfc15c.png

5a4a9ea74f65a_ScreenShot2018-01-01at20_05_06.thumb.png.d1c497a844c53ce41e7c8177eb8cfd46.png

These boys were the pick of the bunch, though I also bought youth as well which I'll share in the next update. I really want youth to get good game time next season so we truly have our very own 'O'Leary's Babes'.

5a4a9f851cb93_ScreenShot2018-01-01at20_16_01.thumb.png.c908b44aee61f26d3a50661172c02277.png5a4a9fab76023_ScreenShot2018-01-01at20_16_13.thumb.png.88aa2b4ec3f0bf6fb85a2261731cea83.png

Looking to next season...

5a4a9fcd6b9ac_ScreenShot2018-01-01at20_20_02.thumb.png.c8e017dfdeae0cc121c2204c9c86b718.png

5a4a9fe3a63b6_ScreenShot2018-01-01at20_20_18.thumb.png.a1af17a14b6ad88a24d5baead59a4f2d.png

As I said, youth will be prominent, but we still need some big signings to push on! Next season is huge for our long term aims!

6 hours ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Brilliant season :applause:

Thanks! It really was. Every time I expect this team to run out of steam, we just carry on over achieving! Presuming we make it through Europa qualifying, that is going to be a major test of our squad. I’m going to need a couple of genuine quality upgrades as well as some decent depth. I’m hoping some of the youngsters will provide the depth though, as long as it’s not too soon. 

10 hours ago, Mindtrick_42 said:

Really nice thread! Cool to see the progress you are doing! 

I have couple of questions regarding the defensive forward: what attributes are you looking for in your df? Also, do you ever play him with a defense duty? 

I use him in a support duty. He presses the backline that way. Here's Hugill's profile:

5a4c03f0c4bad_ScreenShot2018-01-02at22_12_12.thumb.png.1a329e4ea5a3db074cdc4b45d22aa43e.png

I'd say work rate, aggression and teamwork are key, as well as your normal striker attributes like finishing and off the ball. Hugill is really a championship quality player but his work rate makes the difference.

6 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Stamina/Natural Fitness can be important too, they need that engine for constantly harassing defenders.

Helps if they have some pace as well. 

I never used the role before this career, but I love it now. If you get the right player, they can still be an amazing goal scorer, as even with a support duty, they are high up the pitch and get onto crosses and through balls as well as making chances for themselves by putting pressure on defenders.

Defensive Forward is one of my favourite roles in FM, you can do so much with him. I usually go for players with high work rate, aggression, and stamina. But in a save in FM15 I was in the National Leagues and my DF was a big target man-like player who also thrived in that role because he allied his strength to work rate.

Can you show us where does Leeds stand among the other PL teams in terms of wage bill, and also in the team's report, the average attributes?

6 hours ago, kingjericho said:

Defensive Forward is one of my favourite roles in FM, you can do so much with him. I usually go for players with high work rate, aggression, and stamina. But in a save in FM15 I was in the National Leagues and my DF was a big target man-like player who also thrived in that role because he allied his strength to work rate.

Can you show us where does Leeds stand among the other PL teams in terms of wage bill, and also in the team's report, the average attributes?

Yes I will do! I’m not with my computer at the moment, but I’ll post that tomorrow. 

Pre-season to October 20:

Here's our transfers:

5a5155b0a38cc_ScreenShot2018-01-06at23_01_07.thumb.png.58c7f4c3bb130a045cee050e8d60f009.png

As you can see, we've gone mostly for youngsters, aside from our major signings for he first team of Adam Smith and Charlie Taylor to bring our full-backs up to a higher level. We've broken our transfer record for Matt O'Riley and it remains to be seen whether he'll be worth it as he's still very young, but he could be our long -term answer to the Bowyer position. 

5a5156c0a76b3_ScreenShot2018-01-06at23_07_28.thumb.png.f5edf70d4609f22a94f8cb5dd7d60c0f.png

Phiri was no-brainer signing as he came in for buttons and is already now described as a wonderkid. 

5a51571ded4ef_ScreenShot2018-01-06at23_08_28.thumb.png.3f08d382efd51fa4c4e8429b861be30e.png

We moved out a load of players that just won't get any games and we loaned out Doherty, who I still have really high hopes for. 

I have to admit, I'm not happy with the window, I don't feel that we strengthened the midfield or forwards well at all and I think we might find ourselves left behind by the big spenders of the Premier League. I probably could have made better signings if I didn't want to limit myself to the O'Leary DNA, but that's the challenge of this save! 

So how's it going...? 

5a5157fecbc84_ScreenShot2018-01-06at23_00_13.thumb.png.8c751f42590894622a143c51a91f4eb9.png

5a5158131fd89_ScreenShot2018-01-06at23_00_24.thumb.png.765953010953f0a5939a58936100ff97.png

Our worst start to a season so far! A few games were decided by late goals, i.e the Chelsea and Spurs games. Man United were just far to good. The Liverpool game stands alone as a great performance and the rest have just been massively disappointing. If I don't turn this around soon, with a slightly easier run of games, I'm pretty sure all my hard work could be undone and I'll get the sack! 

I forgot to mention the other two significant signings! Patrick Roberts comes in to give some competition to Alioski, who is still our most important attacking player, but we need an option when he’s on an off day. Roberts is perfect for it and City has just let him go. 

The other big one is the return of James Milner! He’s old now, so he’s losing physical attributes at an alarming rate, but he is a great character to have around the squad and is a perfect tutor for our youngsters. 

November 2020 - January 2021:

5a53f325bf9d4_ScreenShot2018-01-08at22_37_01.thumb.png.c58eda71cda3ea0daa3ea5944258569c.png

5a53f334e6d22_ScreenShot2018-01-08at22_37_09.thumb.png.4883268c3b6a79e92a50a04e9a250cc9.png

The wheels are coming off here guys! We've been knocked out of both cups, embarassingly to Bristol City in the case of the FA Cup, and we're falling into a relegation battle in the league. I really can't put my finger on why we're doing so badly as there's just a plethora of issues. Alioski's form has dropped off a cliff, he's missed penalties to win games and been sent off twice (we've actually had a major issue with red cards so I've taken the get stuck in instruction off as we've started to get players sent off in most games!), meanwhile, Sierhuis has only got one goal in the season as he and Hugill have both struggled for fitness and Charlie Taylor has been very poor at left back. We've also had no ruthlessness, including a terrible 0-0 draw against Hull after we absolutely battered them. Baring in mind I told the board we'd finish top half, I think the only reason I've not been sacked yet is because I built up such a level of job security over 3 seasons of over-achieving. That security is fading fast though and I need to find a run of wins from somewhere to climb this table! Wish me luck!

5a53f4bd81f1a_ScreenShot2018-01-08at22_46_08.thumb.png.3fb93572807aaf9ba42c7d14735c0f0d.png

I’m not at the computer now so can’t check for sure, but I think I paid 5 up front and 20 in instalments... Probably wouldn’t have paid that for him before but I need to turn this season around. Also, I think that’s my policy of trying to sign exact replica players of the o’leary Side out of the window and back to just replicating playing style and bringing through youth. I think it’s cost me as the prem is awash with money and they have all moved forwards squad wise whilst I haven’t. 

23 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

He's very well-rounded. Should be great for you. How much did he set you back?

I’m not at the computer now so can’t check for sure, but I think I paid 5 up front and 20 in instalments... Probably wouldn’t have paid that for him before but I need to turn this season around. Also, I think that’s my policy of trying to sign exact replica players of the o’leary Side out of the window and back to just replicating playing style and bringing through youth. I think it’s cost me as the prem is awash with money and they have all moved forwards squad wise whilst I haven’t. 

Archived