Sports Interactive Community
mrdanbartlett

What new league to try?

Hi all,

I fancy trying a new league with FM18, any ideas based on the following desires?

- not one of the big leagues, but a smaller league with room to grow the whole league rep

- Where the national team is not a world cup force/regular and could be grown over time

- The league has some big stadiums, clubs with ok youth/facilities etc

- A league which has some money or at least potential for financial growth (i.e not £10 season tickets)

- Ideally a league which has a route into the Champions League

- Ideally not a huge amount of games per season

It might not even exist but I wonder what you can suggest?  I was thinking something like Serbia, Switzerland, Austria or such.

I did Mexico last FM and really enjoyed it but I just love to be involved in the champions league so missed that. 

Best save I ever did was with Debrecen in Hungary. Ended up winning the Champions League after several years, then winning it again twice with only Hungarian players. Then won the Euros and the World Cup as a capstone.

There's a few clubs with good stadiums and finances, and Hungary fits that spot of being okay with room for improvement. Plus they had some glory years to live up to.

The number of games is okay but the League Cup is kind of annoying. Sometimes it's on during the International Break so you can play a bunch of youth players.

There might be a nation which better fits your criteria, but that's the one I can comment on.

Oh excellent shout! Like you say there were once some force internationally.  I will certainly look at some of the clubs! (who did you manage?)

How did you find the finances? Was it all from the clubs board or did the prize money get to a reasonable level? 

I really enjoyed my time in Belarus. Most teams have really good youth setups for their level, and you get some amazing regens coming through most all the teams. And the national team has never qualified for the Euros or the WC.

50 minutes ago, mrdanbartlett said:

Oh excellent shout! Like you say there were once some force internationally.  I will certainly look at some of the clubs! (who did you manage?)

How did you find the finances? Was it all from the clubs board or did the prize money get to a reasonable level? 

I managed Debrecen because of a personal connection.  They have a new stadium so that's good.  You could also pick one of the teams in Budapest which have some more history attached to them like Honved or Ferencvaros.

I think most of the money came from Champions League. The prize money is nothing special, but winning the league is huge for access to Champions League. I built up the league reputation by doing well in continental competition so that it was eventually an automatic group stage spot. Initially you'll have to go through qualifying rounds.

I had a decent career save in the Czech Republic a few clubs have decent sized stadiums and they tend to produce some decent players. Not always a regular in the Euro's or World Cup but have lots of potential to grow.

In FM17, I tried Colombia and Mexico. Envigado and Pumas, specifically. My first real save (well, two of them) on FM18 has been Mexico again, but with Lobos BUAP. The one downside to managing in Mexico is that the CONCACAF Champions League is definitely less exciting. But South American has the Copa Libertadores which is pretty amazing. Colombia has some great options for clubs, and Argentina offers even more options. Great history with a lot of those clubs, too. So if you aren't restricting it to Europe, South America might be worth taking a wander thru....

There are some great reads / watches on managing in South America. FM Grasshopper is doing an Estudientes save on his blog and FM Teach has an Argentinos Jrs save that is a truly great watch on Twitch.

I thought Switzerland would be good but doesn't seem to have the romance factor........now I had a little look at the leagues and maybe Bulgaria?   

Small league (24 games), CL/EL, some okay stadiums and facilities,  probably not alot of money, but some good homegrown rules too.

I just wonder that if there is no TV deal and no league prize money that those things will never change even as the league rises up in rep?

I''d say Belarus. Dinamo Brest have a massive wage budget which gives you a lot of room to get a bit of transfer money. National Team have a few strong players but a lot of them are in their 30s so gives a good opportunity to give youth a chance. 

23 hours ago, mrdanbartlett said:

Hi all,

I fancy trying a new league with FM18, any ideas based on the following desires?

- not one of the big leagues, but a smaller league with room to grow the whole league rep

- Where the national team is not a world cup force/regular and could be grown over time

- The league has some big stadiums, clubs with ok youth/facilities etc

- A league which has some money or at least potential for financial growth (i.e not £10 season tickets)

- Ideally a league which has a route into the Champions League

- Ideally not a huge amount of games per season

It might not even exist but I wonder what you can suggest?  I was thinking something like Serbia, Switzerland, Austria or such.

I did Mexico last FM and really enjoyed it but I just love to be involved in the champions league so missed that. 

Poland.

1. check

2. check

3. check (Legia, Lechia, Slask, Lech)

4. check

5. check (you start from 2nd round)

6. Depends. 16 teams then split into two groups = 37 games. But the winter break is long and winter transfer window is from 1st feb.

I'd go for Switzerland. 10 in the league, and you play each other 4 times. Swiss champions go into the group stages of the CL and 2nd go to the second qualifying. Some big stadiums (4 teams out of 10 with 20,000 plus Servette in the 2nd tier have a 30,000 capacity stadium) and some big teams (Basel, Young Boys, Grasshoppers and Servette in the 2nd tier are a fallen giant).

How about Austria as well. 10 teams in the league and the top 2 go into the Champions League 2nd qualifier. Austria Vienna play in a 50,000 seater and there are 2 others over 28,000. Rapid Vienna and RB Salzburg as the biggest clubs

With Poland though I feel the NT is pretty good, they are a regular at most of the big tournos now.  

I was going to give Bulgaria some tv/prize money to say rival a small league (say £500k per team) so that it can grow as the leagues grow but cannot figure out how to do it, shame as I think when the prize & tv money is not there it stays that way even if they become a big league.

Austria is probably the winning contender followed by Swiss.  (again the Swiss NT might be a little too good).  Another thought was Norway.

Thanks for all the replies so far.  This will be a long save so it's worth trying to get right :) 

1 minute ago, mrdanbartlett said:

With Poland though I feel the NT is pretty good, they are a regular at most of the big tournos now.  

I was going to give Bulgaria some tv/prize money to say rival a small league (say £500k per team) so that it can grow as the leagues grow but cannot figure out how to do it, shame as I think when the prize & tv money is not there it stays that way even if they become a big league.

Austria is probably the winning contender followed by Swiss.  (again the Swiss NT might be a little too good).  Another thought was Norway.

Thanks for all the replies so far.  This will be a long save so it's worth trying to get right :) 

Switzerland has a bug where there is no youth league. So your youth team will get competitive matches via friendly games only. I wanted to start a save with Servette but couldn’t because this annoys me

52 minutes ago, wicksyFM said:

Switzerland has a bug where there is no youth league. So your youth team will get competitive matches via friendly games only. I wanted to start a save with Servette but couldn’t because this annoys me

Is there? Didn't realise this. Servette are on my shortlist too.

15 hours ago, mark1985 said:

Is there? Didn't realise this. Servette are on my shortlist too.

Oh man, that's them out of contention then!

Might do a rule where I restrict myself to free transfers for players outside of that country, but any paid transfers can only be within the country, i.e I'll be pumping money back into the clubs in the league and not sending it out abroad. 

4 hours ago, mrdanbartlett said:

Oh man, that's them out of contention then!

Might do a rule where I restrict myself to free transfers for players outside of that country, but any paid transfers can only be within the country, i.e I'll be pumping money back into the clubs in the league and not sending it out abroad. 

I always do a homegrown save. I only sign local players and any that come through my youth intake. I define local players as one of the following:

• in cases of smaller countries (San Marino, Andorra, Faeroe Island etc) they can come from the entire country (the population is small enough s it is!)
  • in larger countries, players from the local region (eg Bayern Munich = Bavaria, Barca = Catalonia, Liverpool = Merseyside/Lancashire etc)

This is kinda like a Celtic '67 challenge (where 10 of the European Cup winners were from Glasgow and 1 from just outside). I am a bit more lax on youth intake players as anyone who comes through there is eligible. So for Austria for example, if you chose LASK Linz, anyone from the state of Upper Austria would be available to sign, or for Wacker Innsbruck it would be anyone from the state of Tirol. In Switzerland, Lugano would be anyone from the Kanton of Ticino or Servette would be the Kanton of Geneva or the area called Romandie (the French speaking part of Switzerland which is about 25% of the population).

2 hours ago, mark1985 said:

I always do a homegrown save. I only sign local players and any that come through my youth intake. I define local players as one of the following:

• in cases of smaller countries (San Marino, Andorra, Faeroe Island etc) they can come from the entire country (the population is small enough s it is!)
  • in larger countries, players from the local region (eg Bayern Munich = Bavaria, Barca = Catalonia, Liverpool = Merseyside/Lancashire etc)

This is kinda like a Celtic '67 challenge (where 10 of the European Cup winners were from Glasgow and 1 from just outside). I am a bit more lax on youth intake players as anyone who comes through there is eligible. So for Austria for example, if you chose LASK Linz, anyone from the state of Upper Austria would be available to sign, or for Wacker Innsbruck it would be anyone from the state of Tirol. In Switzerland, Lugano would be anyone from the Kanton of Ticino or Servette would be the Kanton of Geneva or the area called Romandie (the French speaking part of Switzerland which is about 25% of the population).

I do the exact same thing. Ive been trying to create a filter for players born in the region of saxony (Germany) for a Dresden save. 97 cities to add to a filter. Every time i finish it i get a crash dump

Would be good if you could just search for players by local region

Edited by wicksyFM

38 minutes ago, wicksyFM said:

I do the exact same thing. Ive been trying to create a filter for players born in the region of saxony (Germany) for a Dresden save. 97 cities to add to a filter. Every time i finish it i get a crash dump

Would be good if you could just search for players by local region

I would love this. Maybe search within x miles of a certain town/city? Would require a lot of data I imagine though

3 hours ago, mark1985 said:

I would love this. Maybe search within x miles of a certain town/city? Would require a lot of data I imagine though

Would be good. Finally done that Saxony player filter with no crash dumps