Sports Interactive Community
ikendz

Can't scout more than 50 players

Since forever you were able to scout 500 players at a time. I started playing yesterday after a week or two of pause and I realised I couldn't scout more than 50 players at a time. I thought it might be because my scouts were busy or something so I deleted all their assignments, but nothing. I was playing with Manchester United. I started a new save with Ajax, same. I started today another one with Real Madrid just to check if it's the same problem and it is. I can't scout more than 50 players at a time wtf? that makes the game unplayable. I'm so angry. Is this a thing in the latest update? cause I could scout 500 players at a time before, in FM2018.

I suspect this is just SI closing the loophole of being able to get 500 scout reports in a short space of time so easily.

Jesus. First they made it so it takes one week and now they lowered it to 50 scouts at a time?!  What the hell

I tried selecting 50 players and then scout them. You can scout how many players you want, the problem is they just made it harder and it takes more time. If i wanted to scout 2000 players before I had to select 500 players for 4 times and scout them. Now i have to do that for 40 times if I want to scout 2000 players...what the actual hell 

2 minutes ago, ikendz said:

I tried selecting 50 players and then scout them. You can scout how many players you want, the problem is they just made it harder and it takes more time. If i wanted to scout 2000 players before I had to select 500 players for 4 times and scout them. Now i have to do that for 40 times if I want to scout 2000 players...what the actual hell 

Because this is closer to what you'd have to do IRL, maybe?

In previous versions you could ask your assistant manager to scout for 1000 players, but he could only give 3 scouting reports each day, so it would take 333 days to get all the scout reports you asked..

That's realistically!! That's a way better solution for asking too much scout reports, again a step backwards in FM18!

22 minutes ago, BadAss88 said:

In previous versions you could ask your assistant manager to scout for 1000 players, but he could only give 3 scouting reports each day, so it would take 333 days to get all the scout reports you asked..

That's realistically!! That's a way better solution for asking too much scout reports, again a step backwards in FM18!

I wouldn't exactly say that's realistic. Even if (s)he would be able to give you 3 reports a day (those would be pretty basic, not much of a scouting report realistically), and that's hard - given all the other tasks the AM also has, it should take atleast a year and a half just to give you those basic reports (pretty much age, nationality, position and stats from previous years, nothing regarding attributes). So, no, that didn't have much realism.

I'm not saying this year's way is the "real" way, but it looks closer to the real world in my book.

6 hours ago, Maaka said:

I wouldn't exactly say that's realistic. Even if (s)he would be able to give you 3 reports a day (those would be pretty basic, not much of a scouting report realistically), and that's hard - given all the other tasks the AM also has, it should take atleast a year and a half just to give you those basic reports (pretty much age, nationality, position and stats from previous years, nothing regarding attributes). So, no, that didn't have much realism.

I'm not saying this year's way is the "real" way, but it looks closer to the real world in my book.

You can scout thousands of players at a time if you want, the problem is selecting a certain amount at a time. That's the problem. It didn't stop people from scouting 2000 players. It just takes a hell of a lot more time to do that cause you have to select 50 at a time. That literally makes no sense. If you scouted 50 and then it wouldn't let you scout more until they're finished, maybe it would make sense. But this feature is ridiculous. It's like saying you can't pay 5 dollars at a shop at a time, you have to pay 1 dollar, then 1 dollar, then 1 dollar, and then 1 dollar, and another dollar. Wtf? This feature is ridiculous

That's not right, I'd agree. You really shouldn't be able to scout thousands of players at a time at all, if you ask me. There should be a limit based on the number of scouts you have, and some sort of "work load" limit per scout, while at the same time the accuracy of the scouts should decrease inversely proportionally with the number of players they have to scout (or maybe not the accuracy, but somehow the quality of the reports should suffer from overloading the scouts with work to do). I'm not proposing this as a perfect solution, just trying to have some primary framework for how I think it should be made more realistically.

yes this change is ridiculous. You can still scout 50,000 players at once, it's just harder work with a lot more clicks. Stupid decision.

7 hours ago, chestermike said:

yes this change is ridiculous. You can still scout 50,000 players at once, it's just harder work with a lot more clicks. Stupid decision.

I agree, you shouldn't have to click so much to scout 50.000 players at once. You shouldn't be able to scout 50.000 players at once at all, imo.

I would expect that certain teams can easily get detailed scouting reports on players just by cultivating scouting resources in an area. So maybe there's a great player in some Spanish youth league--word gets to clubs who have their eye on the local scene, who have contacts that work with youth in the area. Pretty sure Atletico knows about every 14 year old who's ever kicked a ball around the Argentinian footballing hubs.  

Please Sports Interactive, bring back the ability to scout 500 players at once. What you did is beyond useless and annoying. You didn't stop us from being able to scout 500 players in a week, you just made it harder(more time, more clicks) to do it. Instead of being able to scout 500 players with a click( selecting them and then pressing " Scout "), now we have to select 50 players and then we have to press Scout, and we can do that with no limit. Why in the world would you do that? You just ruined my whole experience with the game. 

And for those who are going to say " REALISM ", how the hell is that realism? You can still scout 10,000 players if you want, but after the update you have to select 50 at a time, and then scout them, for 200 times, instead of being able to do it for 20 times. IT'S A DIFFERENCE OF 100 TIMES. THAT TAKES SO LONG IT'S CRAZY. WORST DECISION I'VE SEEN IN YEARS. USELESS. The scouts are incredibly stupid, they don't find anything. I've always had to find the players on my own. Now you ruined it with this useless update.

If that's realism, then let's change the ablity to release the whole stuff in one day. Who the hell does that in real life? No manager when new at the club was able to release 30 staff members at once like I just did now in my new save with PSG. I was also able to sell my whole squad without nothing happening. It's not too realistic, isn't it? So please in the next update, put a limit " You can only sell 3 players/transfer window ". Right? It's so stupid it's incredible. Please change the ablity to scout 500 players with a click back.

Why not allow scout more than 50 at a go and if I give a limitation of players with 0/0.5 Star (Current ability) and 3/4/5 Star (Potential ability) players ONLY to show on my Inbox/Shortlist ! 

That REALISTIC and solves all issues !

Have to say don't like the 50 limit. After all it's not about how many players you can scout, but rather how many players you can put in the queue. I don't mind if the scouting would take a month, but the fact that it's been made so that you have to make pointless clicks.. well thats just pointless.

-SnUrF

Hi Folks,

i hate This limit, too. I have less time due my family and job and it is a lot effort for me to browse a hugh shortlist and select 50 player ranges for about 20 times. This is real stupid. 

Mit schould be possible to select more (like 500 in the past) because they are just getting queued. 

What about giving the settings kind of customizing parameter to set this value individual?

will SI read all the post?

i still hope with the next update this will be „fixed“

As you can see from the link in post 4, SI are aware of the reaction from some users, but have said that this is a deliberate re-coding for this year.  It is unlikely that it will be reviewed till the next version

Posted (edited)

I think the entire scouting system is worse in 2018 and needs some serious tweaking to make it better.

It's frustrating to use, confusing and much more inconvienient that it used to be. Having a stack player reports for me to wade through, with very few details on them without actually clicking into the player himself evey week is not fun, it's a job, it's a chore. Having one actual inbox item per player was infinitely better. The new scouting is sort of a step in the right direction but is really poorly desinged, implemented and explained. It feels rushed and is poorly thought out with more focus on realism than actually making it fun or friendly for the player.

I hate the new scouting and this limt of 50 players is just the tip of the iceberg for me.

Edited by Robioto

This was linked to, but I'm posting it again just to clarify:

This was a conscious decision to change this functionality having received feedback from users on the revamped FM18 Scouting system. 

Alongside the feedback, we took into account that from a real life football perspective, having a manager pointing at a huge list of hundreds of players and say 'scout all of these' didn't seem very realistic. Although we’ve since been made aware that some users have done this in the past, doing so in FM18 places a huge demand on the resources of the game and will cause the game to process much slower as it gathers information. Essentially now when asking for a player to be scouted, it's a much more in-depth process of gathering data on that player, hence why the process lasts a minimum of a week.

Due to people raising issues in regards to this, we've felt that limiting the option to scout multiple players at once should be considered a guide in the way to approach scouting in this version of the game. 

As you may already be aware, we've added the Scouting Inbox and new functionality for Short-Term and General scouting focus which allows the user to scout much more intelligently. We also hope to soon post a guide for users who are struggling with the fundamentals of the new scouting system within our Gameplay FAQ.

Short version is, you scout loads of players, the game will run slower. Plus it'll queue up the players until the scout is ready, so by selecting so many you're slowing down your system and still not getting the reports any quicker. How many players could a scout realistically be expected to watch live in a single week? 

I'm intrigued to know what this "Feedback from users" was. I doubt they suggested making scouting the same number of players involve more clicking.

1 hour ago, Tiger666 said:

I'm intrigued to know what this "Feedback from users" was. I doubt they suggested making scouting the same number of players involve more clicking.

Feedback from users related to the game being slower when scouting a huge amount of players. They would rather sacrifice the ability to mass scout for improved game performance. 

Surely the most logical solution is to (i) allow players to select as many players as they want for scouting in a click-efficient manner via some non-default route if they want to decide all the players they want their scouts to consider at the beginning of the season (ii) have the game queue these players in batches of 50 so the processing overhead treats it as only scouting 50 players

Probably also (iii) warn the players that the scouts will only focus on about 50 players at a time when they check the boxes to scout all the players on their massive shortlist, so only people really keen to select all their scouting assignments at once use the interface in this way

4 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Feedback from users related to the game being slower when scouting a huge amount of players. They would rather sacrifice the ability to mass scout for improved game performance. 

Once again Neil you aren't getting it. We can still mass scout, too haven't stopped mass scouting. You have just made us click ten times as many buttons to achieve it. We can still do it. I hope you get it now.

Just now, chestermike said:

We can still mass scout, too haven't stopped mass scouting. 

It certainly is discouraging it!

13 minutes ago, chestermike said:

Once again Neil you aren't getting it. We can still mass scout, too haven't stopped mass scouting. You have just made us click ten times as many buttons to achieve it. We can still do it. I hope you get it now.

12 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

As HUNT3R said, we chose to discourage it rather than completely limit it. 

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 13:46, HUNT3R said:

How do you know that?

More to the point, why do you feel the need to try to make enjoyment of the game harder? Do the same thing but with 10 times the clicks needed? Madness.

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 13:59, Neil Brock said:

As HUNT3R said, we chose to discourage it rather than completely limit it. 

why bother discouraging it? It's a game....you know.....something people do for fun.....

5 hours ago, chestermike said:

How do you know that?

It's obvious, isn't it? More clicks = more effort. I may do that a couple of times, but I'm not going to be in the mood to do it every time! I assume the second part of your post was to Neil/SI, not me.

On 26/01/2018 at 13:46, chestermike said:

Adding players to a scouting queue is the logical solution, each available scout then gets assigned players in a batches of up to 5 at a time to report on, ideally with player playing in the same league, nation or region based in that order & only get a new batch once they submit completed reports on all of the preceding batch.

7 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Why on earth would you want to scout 2000 players anyway?

More data = better buying decision.

35 minutes ago, Barside said:

More data = better buying decision.

This.

43 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Why on earth would you want to scout 2000 players anyway?

Youth Intake days. 

2 hours ago, BamBamBam said:

Youth Intake days. 

Pointless with this or any improved scouting queue as you’ll never get report cards back in sufficient time to swoop in that unsigned Wunderkind.

10 minutes ago, Barside said:

Pointless with this or any improved scouting queue as you’ll never get report cards back in sufficient time to swoop in that unsigned Wunderkind.

You can still keep tabs on the most promising prospects for future transfers.

As Tiger666 said.  I don't use it to "swoop" players. I do it to scout the best young players coming through to sign them at a later date.

Edited by BamBamBam

Wouldn't a simple solution have been an in-game option to increase the limit from 50 back to 500 or higher (with obvious warning it may slow processing).  It's logical (explains why not implemented) and would satisfy both the "groups" of people.  I expect more people will be using third party scouting tools now, even if they won't admit it.

On 1/25/2018 at 10:00, Neil Brock said:

This was linked to, but I'm posting it again just to clarify:

This was a conscious decision to change this functionality having received feedback from users on the revamped FM18 Scouting system. 

Alongside the feedback, we took into account that from a real life football perspective, having a manager pointing at a huge list of hundreds of players and say 'scout all of these' didn't seem very realistic. Although we’ve since been made aware that some users have done this in the past, doing so in FM18 places a huge demand on the resources of the game and will cause the game to process much slower as it gathers information. Essentially now when asking for a player to be scouted, it's a much more in-depth process of gathering data on that player, hence why the process lasts a minimum of a week.

Due to people raising issues in regards to this, we've felt that limiting the option to scout multiple players at once should be considered a guide in the way to approach scouting in this version of the game. 

As you may already be aware, we've added the Scouting Inbox and new functionality for Short-Term and General scouting focus which allows the user to scout much more intelligently. We also hope to soon post a guide for users who are struggling with the fundamentals of the new scouting system within our Gameplay FAQ.

Short version is, you scout loads of players, the game will run slower. Plus it'll queue up the players until the scout is ready, so by selecting so many you're slowing down your system and still not getting the reports any quicker. How many players could a scout realistically be expected to watch live in a single week? 

The biggest problem I have in FM 2018 is that it's very difficult to know which players to sign in the first couples windows because of the new scouting system. It's tedious to scout players because of the 50 person limit, and when scouts are assigned, it takes them forever to actually give reports on those players.

Yes, it's true that in real life it would probably take a scout a week or so to watch a specific player and write up a report on them. But, in real life most scouts would also already have extensive knowledge on dozens or even hundreds of current players, yet, you don't seem to inherit much of that knowledge from scouts or coaches when you start up a new game and hire staff. The consequence is that it's an even more massive chore and challenge anytime you want to start up a new game.

In regards to some players finding their systems or performance were being limited when they scouted over 50 players, as others have said, how about you let the individual users decide that? I upgraded my processor (among other components) to an Intel i7-8700K specifically so that I could play CPU intensive games like Football Manager. Why not let me decide whether I'm willing to trade somewhat lower performance for the convenience of more easily adding players to the scouting queue?

Edited by BuzzKill

In regards to some players finding their systems or performance were being limited when they scouted over 50 players, as others have said, how about you let the individual users decide that? I upgraded my processor (among other components) to an Intel i7-8700K specifically so that I could play CPU intensive games like Football Manager. Why not let me decide whether I'm willing to trade somewhat lower performance for the convenience of more easily adding players to the scouting queue?

Because if they make it an option, they're going to be expected to optimize it (to some extent) for people choosing the larger number of players.

A warning wouldn't stop people from complaining.

I'm personally always for more options, but I'm also not a developer.

I have to mention three perspectives regarding this issue.

1. I understand the decision by Si from a game processing standpoint. If asking for hundreds of scout reports at once takes a big toll on processing the game, then I can understand the change and, until a solution is found, to keep it like this.
  2. I do not understand the decision from a user perspective. As said above in other replies, we can still ask for hundreds of reports at once, we just need to select groups of 50 instead of a group of 500.
  3. I do not understand the decision from a real-life perspective. Honestly, I don't find it unrealistic to request scour reports for e.g. one hundred players. If I'm on the hunt for a striker it's normal I scout loads of strikers across many nations, at least this would be the case for big clubs with many scouts.

Solution: for me, the ideal solution would be to be able to select as many players as we want to scout, and then the game creates a queue for the scouts. Just like the queue that exists and can be seen in the scouting screen, if the game creates one queue like this for processing purposes, in which it will only generate 50 reports after the previous 50 have been delivered.

Also, a small side note to say that the basic report that used to exist (delivered in 1-2 days) was also a realistic choice and I'd love it to return. For example, if I am Man Utd and asked for a scout report on alexis Sanchez, it surely wouldn't take my scout a full week to present me a basic overview of the player (even if with just 50% knowledge).

Edited by kingjericho

Just my opinion but this is another aspect of SI failing to understand that this is a game and there is only so much 'realism' you can put into it without affecting the 'gamers' experience.

Why not simply let the user who brought the game decide whether they want to mass scout or not?  As has previously been noted several times all the change has done is make it more time consuming to mass scout not stopped it.  I partly understand why SI would want to 'discourage it' but if they took feedback on board before and changed it maybe they need to consider taking feedback on board again and changing it back!

The balance between realism and gamers experience is getting more and more blurred with the series, if I play a sniper game I don't want to have to have had special forces training to be good at it.  It is a simulation so obviously needs to be as close to reality as it can without making it onerous and unrealistic for the gamer and i do worry that the more this series goes on the more they are losing sight of that.