Inside Forwards not playing well with Advance Forward

Hey Guys, i know the general rule of thumb is that when your using an inside forward you should always play with a striker that drops deep and create space...Well...I've never done that.

In previous versions of FM i've always preferred to use my inside forward with an Advance forward as for me, i believe that contribute goals and assist to my striker who's threading the channels in this version of FM tho, i haven't been able to get them to do much in terms of scoring or assisting anything.

I've also realized that regardless of the system, the Inside forwards have a very low match rating has anyone else seen these two problems? It could just be my paranoia and i need to rethink my tactical systems for this years game. 

1 hour ago, Amarante said:

Hey Guys, i know the general rule of thumb is that when your using an inside forward you should always play with a striker that drops deep and create space...Well...I've never done that.

In previous versions of FM i've always preferred to use my inside forward with an Advance forward as for me, i believe that contribute goals and assist to my striker who's threading the channels in this version of FM tho, i haven't been able to get them to do much in terms of scoring or assisting anything.

I've also realized that regardless of the system, the Inside forwards have a very low match rating has anyone else seen these two problems? It could just be my paranoia and i need to rethink my tactical systems for this years game. 

Why is that a general rule of thumb? I agree you can play a advanced forward with a IF on the flanks. It depends on how you imagine them playing. An AF sits on the shoulders of the defenders and runs into space. He needs supply, the IF can give him supply with through balls for example. But to make this happen you first need to make sure the AF has space to run into by drawing the opposing team out and you have to make sure the IF plays those balls by giving him PI more risky passes for example

1 hour ago, Amarante said:

It's not a rule of thumb at all. I suggest you forget everything you think you know about 'rules' as such. And start thinking that anything can work but how well it works depends on how you set up the rest of the tactic and the side. In order for your IF to have any kind of impact he needs space to run into and people supplying him the ball.

8 hours ago, Khazard said:

@Amarante Could you post your tactical information up please bud.

Could just be that you are to attacking so he doesn't have enough space to perform.

I believe this might just be the case. Like i said in the OP it can just be my tactical setup that doesn't have him performing well. Am gonna do a bit of re-thinking and try again. If not then i'll make a full detailed post on how i set up and how i want my team to play. 

18 hours ago, SixPointer said:

I play with 2 inside forwards and advanced playmaker in the 10 role behind the striker. In scoring for fun all 4 of them. Try a less aggressive mentality to leave the space in behind for them to attack. 

I'll attempt that. I have two testing now which is Attacking with drop deeper and counter with default d-line

Archived