Are free kicks ever scored in FM18?

I have been playing for MU until Feb 2018 so far. Around 30-40 games. Many free kicks being given, both for me and against me, and I have never ever seen a free kick being scored - neither direct nor through a pass.

I have best free kick takers selected (Pogba, Mata etc.), and I didn't mess with the routines.

Is this part buggy? Was it like this in FM17 too?

Was just wondering if the direct FK was bugged in 18.1.2./18.1.3

Playing milan, with calhanoglu in the team i expected i would see a few. Saw three early in the first season ( on 18.1[.1?] ) and then none after that and now am 3/4 way through the second season, the direct FKs have gone. None scored against me too...

Everton has Gylfi with 18 free kick and nothing, nada, zilt. Two seasons of wondering what  good 18 free kicking is...

Added score from set piece as promise to board and bam, Barkley banged in two in the first game after that and so it continued, Gylfi got a man of the month award due to all the free kicks he scored. If it's a coincidence then it's the most amazing one I've ever seen. Now my strikers/attackers won't score though, so it's like it just converted the goals I deserved to set piece situations.

The set piece goal promise went straight to 100%, just from pre-season until first break.

yes there is an issue, if anyone has in-game editor or fmrte, try to create the 'perfect player' with 20's everywhere and that player will not score a single free kick (even amending the relevant PPM's) so there is an issue for sure. 

29 minutes ago, penza said:

yes there is an issue, if anyone has in-game editor or fmrte, try to create the 'perfect player' with 20's everywhere and that player will not score a single free kick (even amending the relevant PPM's) so there is an issue for sure. 

I really doubt that, especially since I posted a youtube video of my goalkeeper scoring one a couple of post above yours.

25 minutes ago, XaW said:

I really doubt that, especially since I posted a youtube video of my goalkeeper scoring one a couple of post above yours.

I suspect this worked for you because the player is a goalkeeper , he probably has bad outfield stats. I think there is an issue where some outfield stat is preventing the direct FK kicks.

3 minutes ago, fmnatic said:

I suspect this worked for you because the player is a goalkeeper , he probably has bad outfield stats. I think there is an issue where some outfield stat is preventing the direct FK kicks.

Could be, but I have had other players score free kicks for me in FM18. I just put my goalkeeper to do it for a challenge. Have you guys posted a bug report in the bugs section?

2 minutes ago, Karnack said:

I don't know why you expect to see them happening often? Beckham scored 15 DFKs during his entire PL-career and he has the record in the PL. It's not like you gonna see a free kick directly scored every year even.

Well expect to see a few in a season because real world STATS.

HAKAN CALHANOGLU (BAYER LEVERKUSEN)

Goals: 11 Games: 75 (one every 6.8 matches)

1 minute ago, XaW said:

Could be, but I have had other players score free kicks for me in FM18. I just put my goalkeeper to do it for a challenge. Have you guys posted a bug report in the bugs section?

It could just be my save, and player form. Want to see if others are facing the issue. 

3 minutes ago, fmnatic said:

Well expect to see a few in a season because real world STATS.

HAKAN CALHANOGLU (BAYER LEVERKUSEN)

Goals: 11 Games: 75 (one every 6.8 matches)

And I'm sure it could happen in FM as well, but there are a lot of things that have to line up perfectly for that to happen. Just because he did it in 65 games doesn't mean it should be coded into FM that he should do it there as well.

DFKs aren't only dependant on the free kick taker, there also have to be a fair amount of free kicks given in the right positions.

As I've said earlier, we've scored 4 DFKs in 1,3 seasons so it's obviously not an issue for everyone.

IIRC I have scored from DFK in my very first game in FM18 and then again a few matches later. I don't think there's any bug with free kicks. There's a lot of luck involved, like Ronaldo not scoring from around 60 DFK's in a row in 2015/16.

10 ore fa, Karnack ha scritto:

And I'm sure it could happen in FM as well, but there are a lot of things that have to line up perfectly for that to happen. Just because he did it in 65 games doesn't mean it should be coded into FM that he should do it there as well.

DFKs aren't only dependant on the free kick taker, there also have to be a fair amount of free kicks given in the right positions.

As I've said earlier, we've scored 4 DFKs in 1,3 seasons so it's obviously not an issue for everyone.

I think there are A LOT more direct free kicks chances in FM than in real life, and this is probably why DFK goals have been made to be so rare (real life percentages would probably result in a goal fest from FK).

58 minutes ago, kandersson said:

I think there are A LOT more direct free kicks chances in FM than in real life, and this is probably why DFK goals have been made to be so rare (real life percentages would probably result in a goal fest from FK).

Interesting theory. What causes that? Can anyone confirm this?

Hmmm now that you mention it I haven't scored any in 2 seasons. Also checking other teams hardly anyone has scored free kicks either. There are far more overhead kicks scored, which doesn't seem realistic.

37 minuti fa, Weston ha scritto:

Interesting theory. What causes that? Can anyone confirm this?

I'm not very good at collecting/presenting data so I'd like to tag my data analyst of choice @Svenc and see if his numbers and set-piece-o-rama confirm my first impression.

• 1 month later...

I have played 

PSG - 3 seasons - Didn't score a single free kick

Man City - 3 seasons - Scored 2 free kicks (De Bruyne and Bernardo Silva)

Arsenal - 4 seasons - Scored 1 free kick (Marco Asensio)

That's 10 seasons with top class players and only 3 free kicks made it into the back of the net.

The AI did even worse. I have never had a free kick scored against me.

• SI Staff

We keep track of goal percentages (and various other match stats) for each match engine and they're actually a bit higher than real life currently from our tests. I think that free-kick goals are just more rare than they seem, have a look at the previous top scorer lists for free kicks in the premier league: https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/att_freekick_goal

Only one player (Coutinho) scored more than 2 free kicks in the premier league last season, and no one managed 3 the season before that.

Going by that list, 27 free kick goals were scored last season in the premier league in 380 matches, leaving you with an average of 1.35 free kick goals a season per club. Very low indeed!

42 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

We keep track of goal percentages (and various other match stats) for each match engine and they're actually a bit higher than real life currently from our tests. I think that free-kick goals are just more rare than they seem, have a look at the previous top scorer lists for free kicks in the premier league: https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/att_freekick_goal

Only one player (Coutinho) scored more than 2 free kicks in the premier league last season, and no one managed 3 the season before that.

Going by that list, 27 free kick goals were scored last season in the premier league in 380 matches, leaving you with an average of 1.35 free kick goals a season per club. Very low indeed!

So Coutinho alone, in 31 apps, scored 300% the amount of free kicks that I experienced for or against my side in over 50 matches.

• SI Staff
2 minutes ago, Weston said:

So Coutinho alone, in 31 apps, scored 300% the amount of free kicks that I experienced for or against my side in over 50 matches.

Bournemouth scored no free kick goals at all last season. It's not uncommon.

34 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

But I'm Milan, not Bournemouth, and I'm including those scored against me as well, across four different competitions. I'm not saying you're wrong, just contributing my personal experience.

I found only to Free Kicks a european top ten statistic of past seasons and certain Players really shine:

https://www.ran.de/fussball/international/bildergalerien/top-10-die-effektivsten-freistoss-schuetzen-europas

Junuzovic (Werder Bremen) = ~25% sucess rate

Ronny (former Hertha Berlin) = ~20% success rate

Hint = Ronaldo is a Free Kick Poser and nowhere near the top in that regard - he should simply stop his attemps and let do it someone capable.

Hertha Berlin this Season scored more Goals from Free Kicks and Corners so Schalke 04 did.

The saying that Free Kicks and Corners are not worth it is a myth that comes from self fulfilling statistical prophecy and Cargo Cult when some Teams no more put training time into it or use wrong people as kicker but are that good they still win their Matches whch paired with bad decisionmaking than leads to Free Kick and Corner weakness and even the danger of becoming vulerable to Counter attacks after defended Free Kicks and Corners.

Ist the kind of linear logic and Cargo Cult that leads Football so often into a wrong direction - true is good Corners and Free Kicks give you the edge as you only Need 1 good Kicker and a little Training time with a Coach that has an open mind you will soon reap the rewards.

4 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

I literally signed up to find a thread like this. I’m absolutely loving this game but there’s just two game breaking issues with the match engine for me

I’ve just completed a whole season and not only were no DFK’s scored for or against, I honestly can’t remember a free kick not going over the bar. Nothing saved, nothing against the wall. I’m actually going to record them tomorrow 

Secondly - the amount of CCC’s/1v1’s that are missed don’t feel right. I’ll see if there’s another thread on this 

6 hours ago, Etebaer said:

I found only to Free Kicks a european top ten statistic of past seasons and certain Players really shine:

https://www.ran.de/fussball/international/bildergalerien/top-10-die-effektivsten-freistoss-schuetzen-europas

Junuzovic (Werder Bremen) = ~25% sucess rate

Junuzovic since then hasn't scored one in two and a half seasons -- this 25% is based on short-term run in the 2014/2015 season. This is something called "regression to the mean", and anybody looking at such "miracle" conversion rates knows that there's only one way, which is drastically down. A good one in three 33% is the conversion of one on ones for a top forward, give or take. 20%-25% is the long-term general shot conversion of class forwards, which includes much better finishing chances than a free kick, including tap-ins, close range finishes with the defense/keeper caught wrong footed, etc. Throw a six sided dice ten times, there is an actual chance of throwing the six in half of those throws. Do that a hundred times, though....
https://understat.com/player/301

I do think too though that free kick conversion in-game is too low. It's oft acknowledged by the coders too, and it's traditionally oft assigned to knock-ons off the in-game ball physics model (similar to amount of wood work hits, etc.)

1 minute ago, Svenc said:

I do think too though that free kick conversion in-game is too low. It's oft acknowledged by the coders too, and it's traditionally oft assigned to knock-ons off the in-game ball physics model (similar to amount of wood work hits, etc.)

Can you elaborate on what this means?

48 minutes ago, Weston said:

Can you elaborate on what this means?

Since I'm not coding the thing, I cannot. I googled for a few statements of the ME main coder (who's not much around on these boards anymore), so you could estimate.

Football Manager's match engine isn't football. This includes the player movement, the player decisions, the ball. Everything is inevitably based on calculations, and Maths. Therefore, for a ball to behave somewhat realistically too, it has to be coded some physics.  How it behaves when hit, underhit, stuck in the mud, and so on. This includes coding the ball: Realistic "weight". A realistic "flying curve" when shot in a particular way, and so on. Every time there are changes made to this, however, this can influence naturally where the ball is getting hit. Thus, changing things here can influence how many free kicks etc. are at all on target, etc. and so on. :) I'm not saying that this is the root cause. However, in prior releases it was oft attributed to ball physics. I think in between FM12/13ish the entire physics model saw a significant rewrite, as the physics model was internally deeemd to limited (the quote by PaulC hints at it -- he could never get the amount of wood work hits, etc. "correct" or something).

@kandersson also brings up an interesting topic. Outside of counting shots individually, there is no way to tell the actual conversion in the game. FM doesn't count the amount of direct free kick attempts awarded. You had to do that all yourself. Unless I miscount, for instance, Messi last season in the league took about 40 direct free kicks. About half of them were off target, a good tennish of them were blocked/saved, one hit the post. He scored two. In the game, you would need to go through every shot in a match to count them, which is a whole lot of busywork:(It's either way something that internally is hopefully assessed in SI's testing!

@Wizzer85 If you have the time for collecting that, I'd be very interested in that. :) However, this must include all kicks in every match, no "cherry picks". Double bonus and a hug if you collect them in a graphic, such as here if filtering by "direct free kicks". THAT would be interesting!!

Archived