Sports Interactive Community
Stu_UBJ

FM18; Newcastle United - The Rafalution Continues

Newcastle United
CZcACoX.png

Welcome to the FM18 thread for Newcastle United. If you're looking for the thread for previous versions follow the link for FM17 and FM16.

After a season in the EFL Championship, Newcastle United are back into the Premier League, back where they belong. A successful season, albeit with some surprises and stutters, managing to lift the title on the final day of the season! 

Newcastle-United-v-Barnsley-Sky-Bet-Cham
Champions! Back into the Premier League

Over the next few posts, I'll try to cover the squad, tactics, and transfer targets, and some other stuff that I think will be useful. I'll try not to bore you guys too much!

Nicknames; The Magpies, Toon Army
Ground ; St James' Park, 52,404 Capacity
ccf8a64aa448c7f22587be60fa635ac6.jpg

A stunning stadium, if I do say so myself!

Newcastle United Football Club (often abbreviated to NUFC) is an English professional association football club based in Newcastle upon Tyne. The club was founded in 1892 by the merger of Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End, and has played at its current home ground, St James' Park, ever since. The ground was developed into an all-seater stadium in the mid-1990s and now has a capacity of 52,405. The club has been a member of the Premier League for all but three years of the competition's history, and has never dropped below English football's second tier since joining the Football League in 1893. The club has been owned by Mike Ashley since 2007, succeeding long term chairman and owner Sir John Hall.

They have won for League Championship titles, 6 FA Cups, and a Charity Shield, as well as the 1969 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, and the 2006 UEFA Intertoto Cup. Newcastle United has the ninth highest total of trophies won by an English club. The club's most successful era was between 1904 and 1910, where they won three of their First Division titles, and an FA Cup. The club is the 17th richest in the world in terms of annual revenue, generating €169.3m in 2015. Historically the club's highest ranking on that list was in 1999, when they were ranked as the 5th richest, and second in England only to Manchester United. The club were highly successful in the Premier League in the 1990s and early 2000s, but have been mostly struggling since the 2006-07 season, and have been relegated twice, in 2009 and 2016.

fe1334b35e37fb101577d48ae1b93ed5.png

They have a fierce local rivalry with Sunderland, and the two clubs have engaged in the Tyne–Wear derby since 1898. The club's traditional kit colours are black and white striped shirts, black shorts and black socks. Their traditional crest takes elements of the city coat of arms, which features two grey seahorses.

Here are our lovely kits for this season. The black and gold is my personal favourite;

45ukGgR.pngQ4QgfqS.pngqzaXTaG.png

Edited by Stu_UBJ

It's on it's way! But, I'm sure there is plenty of you already on your way with the Toon Army. So get posting!

I'm two games into the season with two wins against Brighton and West Ham so far. Atsu has been great so far as an AML with a Winger(A) role, 2 goals and 2 assists already. 

The only player I've brought in is Justin Kluivert in the hope of turning him into the striker of the future. So far he's nabbed a goal off the bench against West Ham and will be starting in our League Cup game against Sheffield United coming up next. 

The opening post is up. If anyone wants to post their tactic, signings etc, please feel free, the more options the better :) 

I am in the process of completing season 2020-2021, just won my first trophy, a hard fought Carabao Cup win against Watford.  In a 3 way battle for the final CL place with Chelsea and Arsenal but will probably finish 6th as I have Chelsea and Man C to play in my last 4 games.  Stand outs have been Lascelles and Mbemba, although I have just sold Lascelles.  Was massively disappointed in the rating of our squad - I only have Lascelles and Woodman left from original squad.  Have slowly built up the team, buying cast-offs and youngsters.  Biggest coup was getting Patrick Cutrone on a two year loan with an agreement to buy for £12m, he has been top scorer in Europe three out of four seasons so far.  Will post tactic and key players later tonight.  It is definitely not easy this year, I got sacked at Easter of first season so added another manager and have survived a few scares.  Got took over and was excited to see our new chairman unveiled as Fawaz Al Hasawi!  Bugger 

I'm into February first season. Currently fighting for a top 6 finish with Stoke and Southampton, but still a chance of 4th, 3 behind Spurs. Struggled to get STs firing, although Gayle in bursts does well. Signed Walter Gonzalez from Olimpia in Paraguay, for just £650k. Did attempt to sign in the summer, but couldn't get a WP for him, but January saw him get one! 

7b396940b01dfad9bf20f253db0e479a.png

Broke even in the transfer market. Sakai, Gago and Hernán the only summer signings, with Diamé the only permanent outgoing. January was somewhat busier, clearing the decks and getting in some more new signings. Joselu was a bit of a donkey, so £7.75m for him was snatched, whilst Hernán never got into the flow. Lejeune didn't perform either, so he is gone. Jordan Ferri comes into midfield, whilst Rubén Duarte strengthens the DL spot. Walter as above, looks quality. Final signing was Ionut Nedelcearu, who looks a good rotation option, and can also play in the DM spot. 

Missed out on Seri on a free, after offering £80k wages, he has agreed United transfer. Summer priorities will be a shuffle up top, and potentially a new DR and GK, plus I'll see what top clubs look to discard.

Signed WG but never got a work permit for him and offloaded him for a massive profit.  I will post some shots in a bit, not on the right computer.

So here we go:

Transfers so far.  Best buys have been by far Cutrone and Domink Kohr, he's an animal.  Tactics are not rocket science but found there needed to by far more balance in midfield this year, so have 2 sitting and one pushing on.  Works pretty well tbh.

5a1f0d3912664_ScreenShot2017-11-29at19_27_54.thumb.png.401b4859b18f9ac9a4135a62976abef4.png5a1f0d3573a1b_ScreenShot2017-11-29at19_28_02.thumb.png.a352135553aecca7c700efbc154fd9e2.png5a1f0d31a353b_ScreenShot2017-11-29at19_28_12.thumb.png.4d1f8464a42725ead7900f67de8775b7.png5a1f0d2e024d8_ScreenShot2017-11-29at19_28_23.thumb.png.1b225c2ea1a733f8a19af38ba6d613d2.png5a1f0d3e1e499_ScreenShot2017-11-29at19_28_38.thumb.png.18a2cdc25296ff591983579aa644d336.png5a1f0d3ac06b8_ScreenShot2017-11-29at19_28_59.thumb.png.9bbaddbfc4d57b08ef00906bf8ff8cab.png

Edited by Geordieboy52

I am nearly finished the first season and we are currently 4th with eight games left to play in the Premier League.

I have done quite a bit of wheeling and dealing in the transfer market because I think a lot of the players have been underrated by the NUFC researcher this year.

My best signing has been Daniel Podence who was signed in the January transfer window from Sporting Lisbon for £7.5m, he has only played 9 games but has scored 5 goals and has 8 assists.

He's like a mini Cristiano Ronaldo. He's just been injured on my save and will miss around one month  :(

Has anyone else been taken over in the first few seasons?

Got £76m transfer budget and £1.5m in wages but no-one to spend it on.

Yep, not a good one though.  Quick update before bed - transfers so far.  All incomings were transfer listed really happy with them too.  Bit pissed off as Berge couldn't get in the team, leave for Juve and is a World Class midfielder!  Not showing on this is the £99million I have just accepted for Malcolm, £50mill upfront and add ons.  Really chuffed about this new LB to come through.

5a1f3d5b2a74e_ScreenShot2017-11-29at23_05_50.thumb.png.517512a5ec4dd3bfb208a7b4a3d65324.png5a1f3dca4a0fe_ScreenShot2017-11-29at23_07_40.thumb.png.c8c5edb40e3dcca1f546d900f47a4f44.png

On 11/29/2017 at 22:31, NLH said:

Has anyone else been taken over in the first few seasons?

Got £76m transfer budget and £1.5m in wages but no-one to spend it on.

Got one that has changed very little from a money PoV, it's not ashley anymore though so thats good.

I found similar in season one and two, plenty of cash to not spend on anyone good.

Into season three now, lots of changes made to the squad overall, CL football and I'm not struggling to spend my money anymore.

Moussa Dembele from Celtic signed in season one and he's been marvelous.

Using a 433 at the moment with the following lineup

Rajkovic

Zappacosta
Mbemba
Toprak
Yuri

Hojbjerg
Vecino
Hector Herrera

Deulofeu
Pavon
Dembele

Merino, Ritchie, Lascelles, Clark, Yedlin and Dummet are all still getting games as needed. We're actually pretty good at the start of this one.

46 minutes ago, iamcontrol said:

Merino, Ritchie, Lascelles, Clark, Yedlin and Dummet are all still getting games as needed. We're actually pretty good at the start of this one.

Really? I was massively disappointed by pretty much everyone other than Shelvey and Ritchie and even then they were sold second season as good money came for them.  Merino is hugely under-rated.

I'm playing as Fiorentina but Newcastle got taken over on 13th October 2017 on my game by a tycoon (front end) called Mohammed Al-Dossari.

The club spent £109m on transfers first season (recouped £24m) and they spent £287m second season (recouped £154m). They have a £240m transfer budget at the start of 2019/20 season.

I wish I had spotted sooner as I would have saved the game and shared it in the tycoon save thread. Biggest signing so far was Ruben Neves for £47m (rising to £76m) but the have also spent big on Alfie Mawson, Moussa Dembele, Jack Butland and Luis Muriel.

I'll get around myself to a Newcastle save but probably after Christmas now.

23 minutes ago, Geordieboy52 said:

Really? I was massively disappointed by pretty much everyone other than Shelvey and Ritchie and even then they were sold second season as good money came for them.  Merino is hugely under-rated.

The setup is the thing, first half of season one I got tactics completely wrong and struggled badly, since then I've got it together and got a lot out of them.

Apart from Merino (who has developed well, good mental stats) none of them are really contending for a long period of starts but they come in and do fine when fitness is an issue.

Shelvey was just a walking red card for me in season one, 10 games, 3 red cards and that was it, never played for me again.

I had no problems with Shelvey's discipline, just felt he was replaceable and when the money came I took it.  I think the best players we have (in game) are Mbemba and Lascelles - both of whom were big parts of my squad until I sold Lascelles who wanted more money than I felt he was worth - sold for £15m.  Even the, they didn't really stand out first season or so, just didn't have the numbers to do anything else than play them to be honest.

7 hours ago, iamcontrol said:

Got one that has changed very little from a money PoV, it's not ashley anymore though so thats good.

I found similar in season one and two, plenty of cash to not spend on anyone good.

Into season three now, lots of changes made to the squad overall, CL football and I'm not struggling to spend my money anymore.

Moussa Dembele from Celtic signed in season one and he's been marvelous.

Using a 433 at the moment with the following lineup

Rajkovic

Zappacosta
Mbemba
Toprak
Yuri

Hojbjerg
Vecino
Hector Herrera

Deulofeu
Pavon
Dembele

How did you get around Brexit and Home Grown rules @iamcontrol as I don't see any English players in starting 11 and barely any on the bench.

33 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

How did you get around Brexit and Home Grown rules @iamcontrol as I don't see any English players in starting 11 and barely any on the bench.

Hasn't kicked in yet, though it is going to next season I think.

Apparently I'll be needing work permits in future but european players already here will get exemption...I guess we'll see.

Yeah it is a good squad, just I worry when Brexit kicks in and depends if it is a soft or hard Brexit that you might struggle with morale if you have to sell a lot of your players.

Into the semi finals of the F.A Cup after knocking out Spurs, been drawn against Watford. The other semi is West Ham vs Middlesbrough.

Around Christmas 2021 and 8th in table, need a point against Napoli at home to qualify from CL group. In game where crash dump happened, I managed to sign Leon Bailey, who was amazing; this time lost out to Many City for him.  However, I've just made a bid for Christian Pulisic, who is transfer listed by Bayern.  Should finally be the replacement for Malcom I need.

Taking a massive gamble, cancelling the deal for Pulisic and going with the newgen I've been developing, his WP just came through.

Into the F.A cup final after beating Watford 2-0, Perez scoring a penalty in the 91st and from a cross in the 94th. Playing West Ham in the final.

Into January of the first season now. I managed to survive a takeover, sadly the new owner doesn't seem interested in pumping a lot of money into the club. 

We're currently sat 6th in the league on 33 points after 22 games - although Chelsea are 6 points ahead of us in 6th place. We got knocked out of the League Cup by Arsenal in the 4th round and have just beaten Everton in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

We continue to be fantastic going forward, but extremely shaky at the back, we're currently on a 20 game scoring streak whilst only managing to keep 5 clean sheets in all competition. It's particularly pronounced in the league, with us having scored the most goals and having let in the joint most.

Would love to see the first few posts updated, as I'm thinking of starting a Newcastle save and would love some advice on tactics and transfer targets. 

On 12/9/2017 at 19:07, Gungner said:

Would love to see the first few posts updated, as I'm thinking of starting a Newcastle save and would love some advice on tactics and transfer targets. 

4-4-1-1/4-4-1-1 2DM or 4-1-4-1 works well, can get a 3-5-2 working as well. For transfers a LB to cover for Dummett (or keep Gamez), a CDM to cover for Hayden if you don't get rid of Colback and a LM to rotate with Atsu is all that's needed for the first year really. You can sell Saivet for ~£5m, Diame for £5m

I've been lining up with a 4-3-2-1 DM Wide, and beat Burnley in the season opener 2-0, So that went fine. Sold Saivet for £7,5 million to Leicester. 

For staff, you can get Massimo Lo Monaco 4* Def, Paul McGuinness 4 1/2* Ball Controll, and David Coles is a 4* GK Coach

I sold saivet for 12m first day to leicester and got 9M from swansea for diame, Just offered them both out for more than their value and the offers came in if that helps 

3rd in February 2023, a table topped by...Stoke!  Decided to save and have a look at finances of other teams to see how I was lagging behind (it is far harder to break into the top 4 this year, as there is so much money for success), Man U and Arsenal had over £500,000,000 in the bank! 

Things are going pretty well but had a problem in January where we lost three on the bounce and my job went to insecure - bananas, I know!.  I am currently having a 'bug' investigated where the board are 'deeply disappointed by the decrease in the clubs stature since I took over', the confidence level for this is at an almost critical 16%, despite us having finished in a European spot for the past 2 seasons and winning the league cup - we have a continental reputation. 

My strike force of Pellegrini and Cutrone is immense, I resigned Sandre Berge in an exchange deal with Juventus for £10 million plus Berge for Andre Gomes (who had been signed for free the previous season but didn't get a WP) and he fits in well as a Carrilero and picked up Trent Alexander-Arnold for £4.5m after 2 1/2 seasons on loan with us.  Danny Rose came in on loan but has been poor so looking to reinforce there in summer.  I also picked up some expensive but promising newgens that will not really hit my 1st team for another 12-18 months and have been sent out on loan to feeder club Racing Santander, who sit in the promotion places of La Liga II.

I sold Bakayoko to Man City for £60m, Kolasinac for £30 and Thiago Maia to PSG for £42.5m.  The only newgens I have in my team are a german wingback and a danish AP on the left wing.  The other thing annoying me is that I started this before I removed the .fake files and my enforcer Dominik Kohr will never be capped for Germany - however I think he may be eligible for English in a few months.  I am struggling for a DC partner for Romagnoli, Jones is reaching his end, Gomez isn't good enough, I signed a lad from Inter - Bastoni but his playing style doesn't fit in.  Any suggestions? Bentancur and Akkaynak never lived up to early promise and were both shipped to Bayern for around £70m combined

Edited by Geordieboy52
memory came back

With the staff, did you end up replacing any of the existing staff or did you manage to persuade the fat controller to allow you extra coaches? There's only one spare coaching slot at the start of the game.

I play touch so there's not really need for that - he sold up pretty quickly in my game - if only it would happen IRL.

Started another new game last night, different approach this time using Mr U Roslers new 4231 tactic.

Only signed Gunnarsson(CM) and Rajkovic(GK) and am second in the league.

Perez is playing wonderfully as an attacking midfielder, Shelvey is not in the side as there isn't a position for him (2 DMs and 1 AMC as the central options) Merino/Hayden/Gunnarsson are rotating at DM.

I just quit my Newcastle save out of frustration... Started well with a 2-0 win over Burnley and draws against Arsenal (0-0) and Man City (2-2), but from there they just refused to win... Got too frustrating. Might give it another go sometime in the future. 

Might have been the tactic... Was using the 4-1-2-3 DM Wide. Maybe using the same formation, but with an AMC instead of a DMC would be more appropriate. 

Edited by Gungner

Okay, so I started over... Season has started great. Burnley defeated 3-0 at home, followed by a 2-0 win over Bournemouth and a 2-2 draw against Everton. Defeated Wigan in the Carabao Cup, and will face Everton in the next round. Instead of a DMC, I'm now using an AMC and the switch has been great, though my coach keeps telling me that the other one would work better... Signings has been Brad Smith (Bournemouth) £3,2 mil, Stefano Sturaro (Juventus) £6,5 mil and Mattia Veloti (Verona) £1,1 mil. I have sold Saivet to Leicester for £10 mil and Haidara to Wolves for £3 mil... August is over, and I'm 4th in the league. Next match is Manchester City away. Not expecting anything from that match. 

Edited by Gungner

I won the league!  God knows how it happened but it did, not sure it'll have any long term effect yet as players are still asking to leave for bigger teams etc and to use the club as a stepping stone.  Wooo!

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 18.09.10.png

Hi I would quite like some help. I’m currently managing Portsmouth (though that might change) with the hope of at least a playoff push and a cup run for next season when the 8 mill we have in the bank kicks in for transfer budget. One issue, we can’t win away. Its not as if my tactic is bad as it is beating teams of a similar level by miles. Take relegation scrappers Southend (19th) and Bristol Rovers (22nd). We absolutely thrashed Rovers 4-0 at home and then got beat 3-1 by Southend. Please send help. I have attached a picture of the tactic and the instructions so you can give me any adaptations

image.jpg

image.jpg

Newcastle United
1 September 2017, the transfer window has just closed

With £50m to spend (touch version) I decided to invest heavily in youth players. My chief scout Steve Nickson traveled to France, Portugal and Spain to look for players. He returned with some very interesting scout reports. 14 prospects to the reserve team was signed and some of them were Elves Baldé (Sporting), Yahia Fofana (Le Havre), Bilel Hassaini (Nancy), Charles Abi (Saint-Étienne) and Vincent Thiel (Metz).

The signings for the first team:

IivEbJr.png

Three exciting players I'm very pleased to welcome to Newcastle United. Joaquin Correa is an inside forward from Argentina, full of flair och pace. Achraf is 18 years old from Morocco but born in Spain. He plays at right back. And finally the son of Zinedine Zidane - Luca Zidane. A talented goalkeeper from France.

I actually made one more transfer...

THE RETURN OF THE KING:

mPoGHjA.png

Happy to welcome Ben Arfa back to the club. This time it's a loan and he fits perfectly in our 4231 formation as the central attacking midfielder.

Only player sold was Jack Colback, £7m to Hull.

The season has kicked off and I'm looking forward to some great years in Newcastle United. A takeover rumours to be close...