Club DNA, Fibra, and Key Attributes

This is an idea I've seen discussed quite a few times, but I figure this could bring a bit of interesting discussion. Rashidi has talked about this concept with Club DNA. Cleon has brought it up quite a few times. Ozil-to-the-Arsenal has gone into it in a few of his tactical threads. Quite a few others have mentioned it at different points on the forum here. Recently, I heard FM_Teach talking about it on his Twitch stream with Argentinos Junior as the concept of "fibra", which I found linked back to FM Grasshopper's blog (though I'm not certain where it originated). But basically, are there key attributes that you always look for in players? If so, why those? Does it link to a specific style of play or club DNA?

I realize that there are endless different approaches with this kind of thing. Some might have key attributes dependent on what style of football level, what level, etc. Some might have key attributes by position. But I'm just curious to hear / read more of the different approaches that folks use. And again, the why behind that approach.

When I'm searching for players I can only really screen for key attributes by position. For instance, I generally play 1 wide player per flank, so that player will need Work Rate, Acceleration, Crossing, and some Tackling and Marking at least. By the time you screen for these you're only left with maybe 50 players. Hard to screen for a specific DNA on top of that.

And the AI is really stubborn at transfers this year.. wanting 50-100 million for basically everybody. In the latter example I could only find one player who fit the bill at a reasonable price -- Rafael from Lyon.

Club DNA is perhaps better enacted through long term development of younger players. You can train them over time, and easily shoehorn Determination into your DNA because of tutoring and that it doesn't cost CA.

I generally will only recruit players with a minimum level of determination in order to ensure they give their all for 90+ mins. I also have a minimum Teamwork level so there is a strong squad unity. It’s a rather basic view of having a DNA but it keeps it simple whilst having a squad ethic in place

I do the same, I look for Determination, Bravery and Work Rate as core attributes for every position.  In regards to current players in the team, as a short term measure, I base my decision on re-signing players and who gets placed on the transfer list on those attributes as well.  Secondary attributes tend to be Agression and Teamwork.

Long term, I think it’s a matter of bringing in the right coaches win the right personalities, and most importantly the right HOYD with the right personality to get those players through the intake.  It’s been described quite a bit, especially in one of the Ajax threads.  

There’s a certain type of personality I try to get instilled in my club also, looking for those individuals who have a professional personality.  Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but at the least it’s a “role playing” element for me.  I try to sign coaches, especially for the U20 and U18 teams who are Professional or Resolute, I try to promote from within and try to sign former players of the club who have the personality I’m looking for into my coaching ranks as well. 

Long story short, I look for Determination, Bravery and Work Rate with the proper personality.  

So just to go a bit further with the idea of "fibra" that Grasshopper talks about in his blog.... His version looks at four attributes. Those four attributes should total up to at least 55 for any player of 25 years or older. Those 4 attributes are Aggression, Bravery, Teamwork, and Work Rate. In the 2017 version, Determination was used instead of Bravery. The required threshold drops a bit for younger players who should still develop. But its worth noting that Bravery and Aggression won't improve much for most players.

This specific approach is to build toward a particular type of football. It has its roots in Argentina, Estudientes La Plata (the club Grasshopper is managing), and ethos like that of Diego Simeone. What I like is that you can switch the attributes to suit the style. You could replace Aggression and Bravery with Technique and First Touch if you are looking to build a high caliber passing side. You could use Stamina, Off the Ball, Positioning....

I've just stared applying the basic idea and I have found it altered the young players I was considering to some extent. Its a way to look past potential to some extent.

21 hours ago, Argonaut said:

When I'm searching for players I can only really screen for key attributes by position. For instance, I generally play 1 wide player per flank, so that player will need Work Rate, Acceleration, Crossing, and some Tackling and Marking at least. By the time you screen for these you're only left with maybe 50 players. Hard to screen for a specific DNA on top of that.

And the AI is really stubborn at transfers this year.. wanting 50-100 million for basically everybody. In the latter example I could only find one player who fit the bill at a reasonable price -- Rafael from Lyon.

Club DNA is perhaps better enacted through long term development of younger players. You can train them over time, and easily shoehorn Determination into your DNA because of tutoring and that it doesn't cost CA.

This brings up an interesting point that I hadn't really considered - the bigger the club, the better the quality of players you are looking at (assuming you are buying developed players, not youth) and therefore the fewer options. A lot of factors involved - size of club and league, finances, work permit and/or foreign player restrictions....

Really does seem like transfer values depend on the club & league to some extent. AI seems to be aware that Prem clubs have huge money, much like clubs do in reality, so they demand more in transfers.

18 hours ago, Seagullfan said:

I generally will only recruit players with a minimum level of determination in order to ensure they give their all for 90+ mins. I also have a minimum Teamwork level so there is a strong squad unity. It’s a rather basic view of having a DNA but it keeps it simple whilst having a squad ethic in place

It still fits the concept.

16 hours ago, Lobaeux4 said:

I do the same, I look for Determination, Bravery and Work Rate as core attributes for every position.  In regards to current players in the team, as a short term measure, I base my decision on resigning players and who gets placed on the transfer list on those attributes as well.  

Long term, I think it’s a matter of bringing in the right coaches win the right personalities, and most importantly the right HOD with the right personality to get those players through the intake.  It’s been described quite a bit, especially in one of the Ajax threads.  

There’s a certain type of personality I try to get instilled in my club also, looking for those individuals who have a professional personality.  Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but at the least it’s a “role playing” element for me.  I try to sign coaches, especially for the U20 and U18 teams who are Professional or Resolute, I try to promote from within and try to sign former players of the club who have the personality I’m looking for into my coaching ranks as well. 

Long story short, I look for Determination, Bravery and Work Rate with the proper personality.  

I actually do the same with coaches. It can be hard to find quality coaches who fit that mold, but personality is something I do consider when reshaping the backroom staff. And I tend to be pretty picky with personality for players I bring in. Its a bit more flexible with young players, as they can be tutored in most cases.

I really wish that the quality of players when they retire would have some impact on how good of a coach they become. Its probably not realistic, but its frustrating when most of the players that retire and become staff members are rarely worth hiring and in many cases, don't have the potential to develop much either.

2 hours ago, Bigpapa42 said:

So just to go a bit further with the idea of "fibra" that Grasshopper talks about in his blog.... His version looks at four attributes. Those four attributes should total up to at least 55 for any player of 25 years or older. Those 4 attributes are Aggression, Bravery, Teamwork, and Work Rate. In the 2017 version, Determination was used instead of Bravery. The required threshold drops a bit for younger players who should still develop. But its worth noting that Bravery and Aggression won't improve much for most players.

This specific approach is to build toward a particular type of football. It has its roots in Argentina, Estudientes La Plata (the club Grasshopper is managing), and ethos like that of Diego Simeone. What I like is that you can switch the attributes to suit the style. You could replace Aggression and Bravery with Technique and First Touch if you are looking to build a high caliber passing side. You could use Stamina, Off the Ball, Positioning....

I've just stared applying the basic idea and I have found it altered the young players I was considering to some extent. Its a way to look past potential to some extent.

This brings up an interesting point that I hadn't really considered - the bigger the club, the better the quality of players you are looking at (assuming you are buying developed players, not youth) and therefore the fewer options. A lot of factors involved - size of club and league, finances, work permit and/or foreign player restrictions....

Really does seem like transfer values depend on the club & league to some extent. AI seems to be aware that Prem clubs have huge money, much like clubs do in reality, so they demand more in transfers.

It still fits the concept.

I actually do the same with coaches. It can be hard to find quality coaches who fit that mold, but personality is something I do consider when reshaping the backroom staff. And I tend to be pretty picky with personality for players I bring in. Its a bit more flexible with young players, as they can be tutored in most cases.

I really wish that the quality of players when they retire would have some impact on how good of a coach they become. Its probably not realistic, but its frustrating when most of the players that retire and become staff members are rarely worth hiring and in many cases, don't have the potential to develop much either.

Agree about personality as you don’t want troublemakers upsetting the team ethic unless they are young enough to be tutored out of it

In all my saves I create Club DNA based on the following core attributes:

Technical - first touch, passing, technique (12+ for defenders, 14+ everyone else)

Mental - anticipation, composure, decisions, teamwork, vision (13+, except vision for CDs)

On top of those I can add some position specific ones, like off the ball for attacking players or positioning for defensive players. It is always good to have most of your players with high determination too.

Guess the style of play I focus on based on these core attributes?:)

10 hours ago, yonko said:

In all my saves I create Club DNA based on the following core attributes:

Technical - first touch, passing, technique (12+ for defenders, 14+ everyone else)

Mental - anticipation, composure, decisions, teamwork, vision (13+, except vision for CDs)

On top of those I can add some position specific ones, like off the ball for attacking players or positioning for defensive players. It is always good to have most of your players with high determination too.

Guess the style of play I focus on based on these core attributes?:)

Must be Pulis-ball!

Something i started to do a few years ago, had a thread about it with Athletic.

The Club DNA really needs to be part of your overall plan. You need to want you club at all levels to play a certain way and the DNA should reflect it.  You can apply it just simply to a few player attributes, or you can go much deeper into the entire club..... :) 

Archived