Sports Interactive Community
AccyScott

(FM18) Down at Brewery Field

Introduction

Thanks for clicking! Welcome to my first career update thread. I have been playing FM for years and have enjoyed the success and despair that the game brings, now I will be documenting this in this thread for you all to enjoy. I will be managing in the Vanarama National North, I always tend to play in the lower leagues as I prefer watching them then the top leagues such as the Premier League. I will be managing one of my local teams - Spennymoor, Blyth Spartans are located closer however I have managed them in the past so I thought it would be more interesting to try somebody else.

The Club

Spennymoor-logo-web.png

The club were founded in 2005, so are a very young club. This is due to the merging of two clubs: Evenwood Town and Spennymoor United, who folded a year before the formation of what was to become Spennymoor Town. The Moors began their steady climb through the ranks as they finished eighth in the Northern Premier League Division Two and were promoted the following year. Finishes of 12th and 4th came in the 2007/08 and 2008/09 season before three back-to-back 1st place finishes, however the club were never promoted due to losing in the playoffs each time. The following season they dropped to second but in the 2013/14 season finally found their luck and were promoted to the Northern Premier League, where they would go up in the play-offs after a 1-0 win against Stourbridge last season. The promotion meant Spennymoor reached their highest position in the footballing pyramid of any of the three clubs from the town.

Facilities

175891.jpg?v=1486830098

The Brewery Field (above) has always been the home of Spennymoor, whether that be United or Town. It has undergone a lot of changes within recent years, such as improved floodlights as the previous ones had stood there for over fourty years. Dugouts, a player tunnel and a clubhouse were all created, the latter replaced the old clubhouse which was burnt down on Christmas Day in 2003. Spennymoor's biggest attendance at Brewery Field came in February 2013 when over 2,400 flocked to watch the club take on local rivals Darlington in the Northern Premier Division Two: the clubs will meet again this season.

Squad

4e8cc35d5af943e55e78d5566ba0f3df.thumb.png.11cd871b6b6bdb34bc29f9669d841b55.png

5a1b197a88a37_part2.thumb.png.0a8c938cc3e6fec27e11c15d98c7b5cf.png

The squad is very balanced in terms of ability, there are few standout players with a few exceptions. Bradley Fewster will be a key player for us this season, the young striker was released by Middlesbrough in the summer after loan spells to York and Hartlepool in the previous two campaigns and will be expected to score a few goals in the upcoming campaign. Jamie Chandler is another player that excites me, he joined the club last season after five years at Gateshead despite making 26 appearances in his final season. He is a born-leader and will be the key man in the middle of the park. Finally is Rob Ramshaw who is similar to Chandler having played for Darlington before making the switch to Gateshead, where he made 64 appearances in two seasons prior to joining last Summer.

Finances

finances.thumb.png.66047444a7c7fa4f97e359d4986dd34d.png

We are definitely in a healthy position for a club at this level, as soon as we don't spend ridiculous amounts of money there will be nothing to worry about on this front. At the same time, we will accept any offers for a player with a fee, as at this level you can't really afford to be rejecting offers with a good figure. We will also be avoiding signing too many players and won't be offering wages of over £350 and also will be looking to limit the amount of players we offer figures of around £250-300 to.

Game Setup

I have loaded the leagues the game recommended me to and to the lowest playable leagues. These include: England, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Spain and Wales.

I hope you enjoy the thread! 

Cheers,

Scott.

Edited by AccyScott

Will follow this one as I'm currently using them too. The best XI is quite strong but lacks depth.

Chandler, Ramshaw and Fewster have been my best three players through 2/3 of the season, but the former two want more than double what I can offer to re-sign, and Fewster isn't interested at all (unsurprising as he is now listed as a leading Conference striker, with leading L2 potential).

Good luck at Spennymoor. One question though... how can it be a merger if one of the 'parties' folded a year before?

On 26/11/2017 at 22:05, CityAndColour said:

Will follow this one as I'm currently using them too. The best XI is quite strong but lacks depth.

Chandler, Ramshaw and Fewster have been my best three players through 2/3 of the season, but the former two want more than double what I can offer to re-sign, and Fewster isn't interested at all (unsurprising as he is now listed as a leading Conference striker, with leading L2 potential).

Hopefully they'll be a bit more considerate in my save, Fewster is a top player so I'll be gutted to lose him. Thanks for the interest! 

19 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Good luck at Spennymoor. One question though... how can it be a merger if one of the 'parties' folded a year before?

I just reworded what was on Wikipedia so I'm assuming they merged with what was the previous club and it has been classed as a merge, only way I can think of it. Cheers! 

Spennymoor is quite literally down the road from me and it serves as a source of pride for the area considering Sunderland are a load of toss. :lol:

Best of luck, definitely following and might play as them myself at some point.

The demise of United stemmed from an arson attack at the local social club which was the main source of income for the team. So without much income, they ended up being unable to fulfill fixtures and were removed from the league and forced to fold.  During the year that they had folded, they were working with another local side - the other merger, Evenwood Town who coincidentally had plans to move into the Brewery Field. So United and Evenwood had a proposal accepted  from the council for a new, merged club that can play at the Brewery Field and Spennymoor Town was born. :)

Edited by Sabine

2 hours ago, Sabine said:

Spennymoor is quite literally down the road from me and it serves as a source of pride for the area considering Sunderland are a load of toss. :lol:

Best of luck, definitely following and might play as them myself at some point.

The demise of United stemmed from an arson attack at the local social club which was the main source of income for the team. So without much income, they ended up being unable to fulfill fixtures and were removed from the league and forced to fold.  During the year that they had folded, they were working with another local side - the other merger, Evenwood Town who coincidentally had plans to move into the Brewery Field. So United and Evenwood had a proposal accepted  from the council for a new, merged club that can play at the Brewery Field and Spennymoor Town was born. :)

Haha, I'm enjoying them so far and definitely need to get down to Brewery Field again one of the days! 

Cheers for the information, definitely makes sense considering they wouldn't have much money. Thanks for commenting :) 

Pre-Season 2017/18

results.thumb.png.ecfdc7a8fd932cb9a0fcd92e1e351ec1.png

We had a pretty successful pre-season all in all. We couldn't stop scoring throughout which shows great signs going into our National North season, where we will open against former Football League club Stockport County. The Crystal Palace result, on paper, would look concerning however considering they're a Premier League club playing a full-strength lineup, to score two goals is fantastic.

5a1de261174c7_millerMKDons.thumb.png.cdb107795cc3ed40ba62626db7ce09b9.png

MK Dons decided to take one of our scouts, leaving us with just the single scout currently.

transfers.png.66b7a36282cff6bae475ebd95ca5b6b1.png

I needed to address the lack of quality and depth within the squad and did so with a number of loanees and free signings over the Summer.

Roberts.thumb.png.f3c57d00264b1f6dfc612730df04c79a.png

Cost: Free

Diedrick-Roberts is a quick striker who has the ability to finish so will be able to terrorise teams in the division this season, I'm sure. He is also able to play out on the right-wing and will provide competition to Ramshaw.

healey.thumb.png.c71f4330c0421bbc2c643bdb8beb7b35.png

Cost:  Loan

Cameron is a solid option in the center of the pitch and will be a starter throughout the season. He has great determination so will be a perfect fit to the team.

wright.thumb.png.d5816c29832c945e00a088af51d7e444.png

The American is an all-round balanced winger who has the attributes to be a top player in the squad this season. He is on a part-time contract so we'll have to be weary that other clubs don't try and offer him a contract.

berry.thumb.png.feda67993ef871d46b3c4904c83eaa5f.png

Sam Berry has been a well-known defender for the past two FM games now and so was a go-to for me when I saw he was still able. He has the potential to go far with us.

Egan.thumb.png.b58117faa4fd18aa0ac8574a27c3e409.png

Cost: Loan

We needed a man to play behind Bradley Fewster and Egan was the perfect option. He's not rated too highly by my scouts, however he ticks the boxes for me and should be a key man to the team this year.

Walton.thumb.png.f8d2477a0911298cdc1b6070ad10ac22.png

Cost: Loan

Our final Summer signing was the loan signing of keeper Richard Walton. We had two below-average goalkeepers at the club and so I went out to look for a standout option and it led me to Paul. He is a good all-round keeper and should be a solid option in-between the sticks.

On to the season! 

15 hours ago, AccyScott said:

Hopefully they'll be a bit more considerate in my save, Fewster is a top player so I'll be gutted to lose him. Thanks for the interest!

I managed to re-sign Chandler for two more years, still working on Ramshaw at the moment. They have the two highest average ratings in the league currently (three matches to go, plus playoffs and FA Trophy final).

Fewster no chance. Has already bagged 30 and Luton are interested in him. I can't even get him to discuss terms.

On 29/11/2017 at 09:26, CityAndColour said:

I managed to re-sign Chandler for two more years, still working on Ramshaw at the moment. They have the two highest average ratings in the league currently (three matches to go, plus playoffs and FA Trophy final).

Fewster no chance. Has already bagged 30 and Luton are interested in him. I can't even get him to discuss terms.

They have all been brilliant for me in my debut month... ;) 

4 hours ago, SixPointer said:

like this!! I personally know mark "sparky" Anderson following 

Cheers mate! Sadly I don't think he'll get much of a look in poor guy, but that's what I like about lower leagues, you seem to hear of people being mates with them. :p 

August Results

5a206cc953a86_AugustResults.thumb.png.61c3bb850dd5d720b5199efe8d3f3a47.png

5th August 2017

Vanarama National North

Stockport.png.3eeb997cf7bf1d564a432819ccff048b.png

An absolutely cracking game, however I was rather disappointed to blow a two-nil lead. Bradley Fewster was already showing signs of how talented he is, terrorising the Stockport defence throughout the game.

8th August 2017

Vanarama National North

5a206d977f03a_FCUnited.png.0dd2c4f523aa864436f28cf99f7912c9.png

The nerves were jangling in the second half due to the previous game however we defended well in the end and Egan, who enjoyed a fantastic start to the month, rounded off the game in stoppage time to seal three well deserved points.

15th August 2017

Vanarama National North

5a206e0824793_BradfordPA.thumb.png.6bb4143b663d69f23e3f0eaa4887614f.png

Bradford Park Avenue were top coming into the game so I was expected much better from the visitors. Instead, we dominated all game and substitute Kayne Diedrick-Roberts managed to bag two to show the real gulf in quality in the game between the two.

19th August 2017

Vanarama National North

Brackley.png.da6f8be2ad318d8ca5be703a3574281e.png

Brackley moved top after the thumping of Bradford PA and suffered the same fate. Fewster bagged a hat-trick however they were more of a threat than the scoreline suggests and goalkeeper Walton was called into action several times, providing some good saves in the Spennymoor goal.

22nd August 2017

Vanarama National North

Boston.thumb.png.1f56a5f116b166c9581daddf7f1cae6b.png

We continued to show our lethal touch in front of goal in the second half as we struggled to beat George Willis in the Boston goal, who was providing heroics after they took the lead through a debatable penalty. Rob Ramshaw finally getting on the scoresheet and doing so twice, after some impressive performances in recent games.

26th August 2017

Vanarama National North

Salford.png.aafcab5246633e6aad9c2ae8129d3187.png

Salford are miles ahead in terms of financial backing and squad this season so to get a point, albeit conceding late on to a Jack Redshaw goal (yes, that is the same one who was playing League One football last season,) was a brilliant results. Bradley Fewster almost got a second with some beautiful footwork before bringing Sam Crocombe into action, it would have surely have been a goal of the season contender, you'd have thought.

28th August 2017

Vanarama National North

Darlingtn.png.e8979acf2ca939953e6f5f0dbb8c3dcf.png

Sadly we were brought crashing back down to earth in the final game of the month against a struggling Darlington. They proved to be too dangerous from set-pieces for us and we couldn't deal with the threat they posed from corners especially.

Vanarama National North Table

(as of 31/08/17)

5a2071479089f_TableasofAugust.thumb.png.eb380287e05aeb48d55941553856e879.png

Overall we have done incredibly as we begin life with Spennymoor, hopefully we'll be able to enjoy another successful month in September and go from there. With the form Bradley Fewster and Rob Ramshaw are in, alongside the likes of Jack Egan and Anthony Wright/Kayne Diedrick-Roberts, we'll be difficult to defend against.

Onwards and upwards, howay the 'Moor.

Edited by AccyScott

On 30/11/2017 at 23:01, Nobby_McDonald said:

Good start.

On 01/12/2017 at 07:42, SixPointer said:

Great first 7 games!

On 02/12/2017 at 00:46, MJB906 said:

Really good start with Spennymoor so far @AccyScott. Keep it up :)

Cheers lads, very happy!

5a248853e7171_FACup2ndQual.thumb.png.dd1d38e8da149eb0bbd0b3bbf1f6871c.png

We will take on Farsley Celtic from the Northern Premier League in the FA Cup Second Qualifying Round.

Update: Annoyingly, my game crashed in the game prior to this tie so I had to restart the whole of September. 

Edited by AccyScott