Sports Interactive Community
TheFace

Injury overkill yet again

After countless years of various football management games, developers still insist in going too over the top with injuries, I have have nothing less than 7 injuries so far. Give all the reasons you like but it’s unreaslistic. Every single match, someone is injured. 

4 minutes ago, TheFace said:

After countless years of various football management games, developers still insist in going too over the top with injuries, I have have nothing less than 7 injuries so far. Give all the reasons you like but it’s unreaslistic. Every single match, someone is injured. 

Just a little bit down the page: 

Have a look at the link I posted there. It may help.

I totally agree. Especially when there is a match every 3 days, I have 1 injury every damned game. And I'm very careful with turnover. FRUSTRATING.

7 minutes ago, TheFace said:

Injuries rates over time have always been less and are still less then real life in FM18 despite SI slowly increasing the rates.

Over a short period its either your tactics, your training or simply bad luck.

EDIT

In a 25 man squad its normal to have 4/5 players out consistently.

Edited by Cougar2010

5 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

Injuries rates over time have always been less and are still less then real life in FM18 despite SI slowly increasing the rates.

I don't know about that. I play with Inter. This year Spalletti have played with 15-16 men. In the game I have to use 20-21 in a year. Impossible to play with a tight roster. So, it's not so real.

Edited by OI258

Just now, OI258 said:

I play with Inter. This year Spalletti have played with 15-16 men. In the game I have to use 22-23 in a year. Impossible to play with a tight roster. So, it's not real.

I don't know how true that is but its certainly possible.

As stated luck is a big factor while his training & tactics IRL are probably different to what you use within FM.

4 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

EDIT

In a 25 man squad its normal to have 4/5 players out consistently.

I don’t want to spend a ridiculous amount of time messing about with each individual player and having to study what is best. The idea of FM touch was to strip it back a bit and make it more playable but instead I’ve got coaches and staff that seem to do nothing. Not to go one single week without making any changes to your starting eleven is just unrealistic in real life for most teams. It’s utter nonsense having to spend a silly (and overly disproportionate) amount of time just trying to keep players off the injury list 

8 minutes ago, OI258 said:

I don't know about that. I play with Inter. This year Spalletti have played with 15-16 men. In the game I have to use 20-21 in a year. Impossible to play with a tight roster. So, it's not so real.

Soccerway tells me Inter have used 19 players this season: http://us.soccerway.com/teams/italy/fc-internazionale-milano/1244/

Not that far your 20-21, now, is it?

I've just played 4 months in the PL without a single long-term injury. 

So it's down to luck, tactic intensity, training and rotation. Can't do much about a concussion during a match.

Edited by Karnack

I have too few injuries! I even posted a bug report about it. It is way too easy to keep everyone healthy. With the correct mix of tactical instructions, rotation of the squad, training levels, and rest when needed, I rarely get injuries. I just about never get injuries due to overload of matches and training.

I read somewhere it might be possible to tweak up the injuries to the actual real life level (since FM is about 20% less than the real world, if I remember correctly), and I might look to try it out to see how it is.

3 hours ago, TheFace said:

I have have nothing less than 7 injuries so far. Give all the reasons you like but it’s unreaslistic. 

Sunderland had at least 7 players injured every week in real life last season. Swing and a miss, lad. 

38 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Sunderland had at least 7 players injured every week in real life last season. Swing and a miss, lad. 

Last year in Portugal, Benfica won the title and until christmas we even had to use players from the B team to have enought substitute players for some games, thats how bad it was, so it happens...

Thistle haven't been able to fill a full subs bench quite a few times in the past month or so given we spend our training sessions on a scale model of the Normandy Landings.

Any injuries I've had have been short ones, apart from one occasion I played a still not fully fit player who broke down and ended up out for 4 months.  

The people complaining are not really following football and just want a game they can win easily. 

Injuries are completely realistic and in line with reality. Luck and how u manage the player - training etc- plays a crucial role. 

5 hours ago, upthetoon said:

The people complaining are not really following football and just want a game they can win easily. 

Injuries are completely realistic and in line with reality. Luck and how u manage the player - training etc- plays a crucial role. 

I have followed football all my life, I don’t think I have seen my team get an injury in every match for 11 games on the trot. So no, not realistic 

2 minutes ago, TheFace said:

I have followed football all my life, I don’t think I have seen my team get an injury in every match for 11 games on the trot. So no, not realistic 

No, that is because they actually do work to minimize it. Something a lot of FM'ers don't even try.

55 minutes ago, TheFace said:

I've played CM/FM for the last 25 years, and not once have I had an injury every match eleven times in a row. 

Penny dropping yet? 

4 hours ago, TheFace said:

i have played FM all my life and I never experienced 11 games injury in a row. I'd dare say you are even lying.

I'm 5 seasons in and I think I've had one long term injury which was only 3 months. I seem to get lots of small injuries but nothing out of the ordinary. I use wing backs on my main tactic and they get injured more often due to the huge amount of running they do.

I have to be honest. The only time I've re-loaded a save was when my goalkeeper got injured in a game and then my back up got injured a few days later in training :lol:

You know something?
5-6 versions back, when I had no clue about training, on how to set it properly for the whole team, the players individually, and generally no clue about most parts of the game, I had to reload all the time because I was having too many injuries and I was frustrated.

But now I feel like this:

18 hours ago, XaW said:

I have too few injuries! I even posted a bug report about it. It is way too easy to keep everyone healthy. With the correct mix of tactical instructions, rotation of the squad, training levels, and rest when needed, I rarely get injuries. I just about never get injuries due to overload of matches and training.

I read somewhere it might be possible to tweak up the injuries to the actual real life level (since FM is about 20% less than the real world, if I remember correctly), and I might look to try it out to see how it is.

Except the part about posting it in the bugs forum, because I like the way it feels now :D.

Edited by ilkork

So far in my save I've had 5 injuries and the season has just started. Hell I've even seen one of my players get injured for 1 week the cause kicking a ball (must be some ball)

At this moment I'm unable to rotate my defenders because their all injured. So am stuck with the same back 3 for the next month with league and Cl games coming up. And  in FM when you don't rotate you get more injuries so i am at this point praying for nothing to go wrong as i'm now getting an injury a game now.

I do believe this is the games way of trying to make the injuries seem realistic but when people quote injury stats for each club they need to look deeper into the stats and realize that most of those numbers aren't first team players but youth players. At this moment in time with 5 injuries two long-term 3 mid-term and i disabled first window transfer budget so their goes the option of buying a next CB. It really is a pain dealing with so many injuries at the start of a season.

Injuries have been a problem since the very first CM I played, CM01-02. My guess is they do that to make the game harder. Same with how hard it is to sell players (in some versions, I literally offered nice players for 0€ and nobody wanted them, and they were worth 7M€).

Just now, Romano338 said:

Injuries have been a problem since the very first CM I played, CM01-02. My guess is they do that to make the game harder. Same with how hard it is to sell players (in some versions, I literally offered nice players for 0€ and nobody wanted them, and they were worth 7M€).

Injury levels are at 80% of real life, so if anything, it should increase.

With selling players, nothing was made "harder". That's a separate thread, but there could be many reasons - teams couldn't afford the wage demands, player wasn't interested in the teams interested in him, you didn't load a lot of leagues etc.

We can find excuses, but come on, it's like that every single year for over 15 years. I mean, we know video games aren't all nice and legit. Some stuff are meant to make the game harder in artificial ways. It's not even criticizing, it's just accepting what video games are.

45 minutes ago, Romano338 said:

We can find excuses, but come on, it's like that every single year for over 15 years. I mean, we know video games aren't all nice and legit. Some stuff are meant to make the game harder in artificial ways. It's not even criticizing, it's just accepting what video games are.

It's not an excuse. These are all facts. There aren't artificial measures put in.

On the transfers side of things, have read through here; specifically Alex Crawford's posts: https://community.sigames.com/topic/341407-why-so-hard-to-get-rid-of-unwanted-players-must-read-thread/

Edited by HUNT3R

I've not seen an increase but noticed a lot more 1-3 day knocks like bruised shin or dead leg etc.

I've also gotten a few more players out 1-3 days, especially when the calendar's congested, but overall I feel that my injury numbers actually's lower than IRL.

The medical centre gives you a rough idea of the amount of injuries you can expect and whether you're better or worse than that estimate. Might be worth looking at as well.

It's worth mentioning, from a research perspective, look at the players getting injuries, and the types they're getting.

Anyone having Xherdan Shaqiri in their squad should be seeing a pre-disposition towards hamstring/calf/thigh injuries. With Ryan Shawcross, back strain. Some injury types can potentially be coming from injuries we've set as researchers, and there has been what feels like bringing injury figures in FM closer to real life (which personally is a good thing, because its letting players more accurately reflect the data)

So check the player, if he's getting absolutely hammered on a certain type of injury don't post stating it categorically needs to be changed, but let the researcher know in their relevant thread, and in time they can check because again coming back to Shaqiri, him missing numerous games due to hamstring/calf/thigh injuries is correct. 

It doesn't harm to ask if a player seems to be getting a recurrence of an old injury (ie pre 2017 on injury history) too frequently, or if a very old injury that hasn't been a concern for years has become very prominent in game because it is something we can look at data wise.

- - -

Just please don't take this as an invite to whine and complain to researchers about player injuries in general, some injuries, particularly any major injury sustained or first instance of a recurring injury after the game starts, is completely out of our hands and is down to the luck of the draw with training/tactics/in-match events.

On 24/11/2017 at 10:03, TheFace said:

Started my first proper save and thought the seem to have finally sorted the injury problem then end of the season nine in 2 weeks long term ones, if I wasn’t in such a **** league I may has lost the cup final. 

If you check the real premier league injury list, Everton currently has 7 players injured to, and several teams have 6. Occasionally teams will get even more than that as well, its down to luck and player durability.

It might seem like a lot, but if you research it actually seems pretty accurate. And the majority of the injuries are short term anyway,

I dont understand why people are complaining about this, you want realism, but when you get it, you dont like it? Just use it as an excuse to maybe give some of your young prospects a chance in the first team. Thats why there are reserve teams in most leagues

1 hour ago, jc1 said:

I've not seen an increase but noticed a lot more 1-3 day knocks like bruised shin or dead leg etc.

But these are normal in football. The shots taken for training or match can give these little injuries, 1-3 days at the most, that doesn't preclude being usable in successive matches.

3 hours ago, Amarante said:

So far in my save I've had 5 injuries and the season has just started. Hell I've even seen one of my players get injured for 1 week the cause kicking a ball (must be some ball)

At this moment I'm unable to rotate my defenders because their all injured. So am stuck with the same back 3 for the next month with league and Cl games coming up. And  in FM when you don't rotate you get more injuries so i am at this point praying for nothing to go wrong as i'm now getting an injury a game now.

I do believe this is the games way of trying to make the injuries seem realistic but when people quote injury stats for each club they need to look deeper into the stats and realize that most of those numbers aren't first team players but youth players. At this moment in time with 5 injuries two long-term 3 mid-term and i disabled first window transfer budget so their goes the option of buying a next CB. It really is a pain dealing with so many injuries at the start of a season.

This really isn't true. The numbers are first team numbers. And if anything FMs numbers should be higher 

5 injuries by the time the season has just started is nothing 

On 11/24/2017 at 10:03, TheFace said:

Is that all? I had Nine first team players out in the early stages of the season. I've nearly finished the season now and it seems to have calmed down :thup:

My pre-season has been relatively incident free: 

4ec685f163a99efd3a4228b5eee0038c.png

People always complaining about injuries during a short period. That's almost always a combination of bad luck, heavy training, not rotating or resting players.

In the overall injuries are about 80% of real football.

From my experience it is a lot easier to avoid a lot of injuries this year if you just listen to the medical center and actually manage your squad. 

There could be still the weeks when everything goes wrong - just like in real football too.

If someone can't stand it that his best players are out for weeks, there is always the possibility to use the in-game editor to change the fate.

But for all the others, prevent and managing injuries is part of the game.

51 minutes ago, Seyen said:

But these are normal in football. The shots taken for training or match can give these little injuries, 1-3 days at the most, that doesn't preclude being usable in successive matches.

I never said it was unusual, just that I'm seeing more natural small knocks instead of the 2-3 month long term ones.

16 hours ago, TheFace said:

Are these long term injuries or just one week/two week knocks? 

Every team on the planet has at least one player who picks up a knock during a match 

3 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

This really isn't true. The numbers are first team numbers. And if anything FMs numbers should be higher 

5 injuries by the time the season has just started is nothing 

In particular if it's first season, when all the RL injured are edited into the db, and not "simulated". Actually this seems the first release in years and years where the overall amount of injuries over a season is comparable to football. Naturally, the medical center makes it easier to pick up, so 50-60 injuries on average give or take. Naturally to be off set at any time by random chance, the squad, the personell, the managing. There is no guarantee to stay out of the rot in football, so there shouldn't be in-game (never managed much here).

However: The big difference is that they did this by introducing more frequent short-term knocks off a few days. When in real football roughly 50% injuries are 14 days+, which is comparably consistent for clubs (that pre-season would be a time of few injuries is also a myth). Thus, depending on the day you look, you still have occasionally fantasy injury tables with the league average being but 2/3 players out. Nothing of this makes the game easier/harder, in fact, if your key players are rarely out for long, your opposition's aren't either... which can influence the amount of upsets staged. However, it can impact AI squad development, as if youngsters don't get enough playing time....

And yeah, those are totally first squad numbers.  3-5- first team injured wouldn't be worth anything writing home about, consistently. 6-7 are still totally within the norm, and 8-9+ out is a common occurance for various sides in every league in the world at some point with a standard quad size of 23-25. Which is all reported immediately as a bug, naturally, as the benchmark is Fifa, and so the cycle repeats... Data experiments in previous (every player edited to  injury proneness of 20) suggested the frequency would be much higher then. Even compared to real football. ;) Coincidentally, it's the one thing I've always watched out for (player injury history, scout reports). Outside of that? Every time I post I haven't had any real crysis on this for years I'm expecting the FM Gods to hit me, but it would never, ever happen. If something serious happened, like once in a twenty seasons, it's always an AI side.

Edited by Svenc