Sports Interactive Community
BamBamBam

Scout package v Scout Knowledge

I understand that buying these Scout packages increases the amount of players available to you via the player search, i think, but doesn't the scouting knowledge also do this?

Is it just a quick way of increasing the players available to you?

And if so, couldn't you just use this for a week, then go back down to a lower level?

Does no one know this?

I've asked the makers on twitter and a FM youtuber and nothing.

I'm interested in knowing this as well, I've heard different things.

it's for a fact that Scouting Packages impact how much players you see in the player search but I'm also interested in knowing: will scouts search outside of the packages? and will you need to pay extra, or do you only need to pay extra if you scout outside the allowed scouting range?

If you never use player search, is there an advantage to having a scouting package?

As per SI staff '...Having full Brazil ( for example) scouting packages will return a higher quantity of players on the player search screen than the knowledge of a staff member'.

Which is something I can confirm based on game experience. Basically when you have 100% knowledge of a country via a member of your staff, it's not really 100%. Only packages will give you 100%. I think having top packages for both senior and youth players equals to 100% of world knowledge then.

I found this part of the manual helpful, but I agree that it is kind of unclear from within the game itself:

So reading both topics above, I've picked out this:

• it only cost extra to scout outside your allowed range (so scouting packages do not come into play here)
  • The scouting package you select has no influence on what your scouts do

A scouts ability to find a player will not be prohibited by the clubs package."  - Dixit SI Member

So is it fair to say that a scouting package is only an advantage (or even needed) when you are manually scouting players yourself? If you leave scouting to your scouts, and trust their reports, there is no reason why you would have a scouting package at all?

Edited by DavyDepuydt1

6 hours ago, BamBamBam said:

I understand that buying these Scout packages increases the amount of players available to you via the player search, i think, but doesn't the scouting knowledge also do this?

Is it just a quick way of increasing the players available to you?

And if so, couldn't you just use this for a week, then go back down to a lower level?

Scouting Packages will reveal a large quantity of players and increase the knowledge level of players within these packages. A scouts scouting knowledge will also do this but to a lesser extent. 

It is more than a just a quick way of increasing players available to you. The package is essentially a database of players that the user will be able to search through in order to identify the players that they are after in certain positions. The packages will also reveal role information on a player, along with helping to speed up the time it takes for analysts to generate reports on players within the package. 

You could just have the package for a week and then drop down a level, but you will be charged for the most expensive package you have had that month and that money will be taken out of your scouting budget. One of the main benefits of having the higher scouting package is that you have a larger amount of players available to you, so when it comes to looking for a new player to sign you have a wider selection of players to identify potential targets from. 

So more players on the database and less time for the scouts to give you a rating out of 100 for those players....is that right?

4 hours ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

• it only cost extra to scout outside your allowed range (so scouting packages do not come into play here)

So is it fair to say that a scouting package is only an advantage (or even needed) when you are manually scouting players yourself? If you leave scouting to your scouts, and trust their reports, there is no reason why you would have a scouting package at all?

DavyDepuydt1 has hit the key question here.

Assuming we don't care if it takes a data analyst 3 days or 6 to generate a report, then surely he is correct in his assumption that there's no reason to spend on these scouting packages? Hoping for a clear answer from SI.

Basically this is what I do with scouting packages.

The Scouting package is basically me paying for the rights to have access to players. The higher the package the more players are on the radar. My scouts have some knowledge of players, but the packages form the upper limit of that knowledge. My scouts allow me to drill down and get more information the players. This includes information on their personality, performances etc. 

What I do as a small club is to use these packages judiciously. I can either depend on my chief scout to return recommendations based on my requirements for the short term, and once these recommendations are in, we can choose to scout them ignore them or add them to the shortlist. Or, I do it the old fashioned way. The shortlist is the most important thing here. Once I have populated my shortlist with players, we can either continue to add to this list by scouting. Or, we can stop the search, and I drop my package rate.  This is the way I approach LLM football. Essentially I only scout in pre season and near the end of a season. I also opt not to keep a portion of  my transfer budget in case I need to scout them.

The important thing to remember here is this - The packages are the total number of players at your disposal, you have a choice to make. How many are you willing to scout, where do you want to scout and how do you balance between the total cost of scouting and your need to build up a solid shortlist of potential targets?  The packages are not = 100% knowledge of a player. Its the users job to decide how their scouting money is going to be spent. Its actually pretty easy to manage. The only people who will have an issue are the compulsive completionists who need to get 100% knowledge of every player in the world.

1 hour ago, Rashidi said:

The important thing to remember here is this - The packages are the total number of players at your disposal, you have a choice to make. How many are you willing to scout, where do you want to scout and how do you balance between the total cost of scouting and your need to build up a solid shortlist of potential targets?  

I'm not getting anything of what you're saying.

You talk about "the number of players at your disposal". If by that you mean "the number of players visible in the player search" then your sentence would at least make sense. It still doesn't answer the question of whether or not the scouts will  - on their own - find these same players that are "at our disposal" via the scout packages.

"How many are you willing to scout, where do you want to scout and how do you balance between the total cost of scouting and your need to build up a solid shortlist of potential targets?" - I have no idea what you are trying to say. Isn't this the same dilemma as it's always been in FM? You give the scout more assignments and/or send him on longer scouting trips, and the cost goes up? 

This scout package confusion should have never been implemented. It should have stayed as it was; a small League 2 club were only allowed to scout within England, then when you got to the Championship you could get lucky and be allowed to scout within GB, and finally when you reached the PL you could scout the world.  And then when you could send your scouts anywhere you could slowly and steadily have your club build up knowledge of a different continent by having its scouts stationed there for an extended period of time.

It was a logical and realistic progression of how building up scouting knowledge probably works in the real game. You had to work for it and progress through the stages. But now apparently all you have to do is buy a scout package. And scouts can be sent anywhere.

Edited by MontyOnTheRun

On 2017-11-23 at 14:23, DavyDepuydt1 said:

I also wanna know this. Since I follow the LLM rules, I don't use the search function. Will buying scouting packages help me in any way?

Thanks!

I’m still no clearer on this 2 years later.

scouting package is a 'area of knowledge' of your club. So you can scout 'inside' your package (assuming that your scout's knowledge are within the scouting package).

Scout knowledge is personal scout knowledge so it can only affect specific region/countries the scout knows. And scouts won't give you thousands of players like scouting packages do.

10 minutes ago, Bigpole said:

scouting package is a 'area of knowledge' of your club. So you can scout 'inside' your package (assuming that your scout's knowledge are within the scouting package).

Scout knowledge is personal scout knowledge so it can only affect specific region/countries the scout knows. And scouts won't give you thousands of players like scouting packages do.

Please. Just stop adding more confusion to this frustrating thread. My head hurts reading it again.

Where you are allowed to scout depends on the scouting restrictions set by the board. Adding a scouting package is not going to allow you to scout «inside» that package. You can be a League 2 club with scouting restriction set to England, and at the same time have a scouting package set to «Europe». This does not mean that the club can now scout all of Europe. 

SI should have just let the scouting restrictions stay in sync with the scouting package. That way, when you went to the board and asked to be allowed to scout all of Europe, you would be met with the message «request granted. We have upgraded the scouting package accordingly». 

7 hours ago, MontyOnTheRun said:

Please. Just stop adding more confusion to this frustrating thread. My head hurts reading it again.

Where you are allowed to scout depends on the scouting restrictions set by the board. Adding a scouting package is not going to allow you to scout «inside» that package. You can be a League 2 club with scouting restriction set to England, and at the same time have a scouting package set to «Europe». This does not mean that the club can now scout all of Europe. 

SI should have just let the scouting restrictions stay in sync with the scouting package. That way, when you went to the board and asked to be allowed to scout all of Europe, you would be met with the message «request granted. We have upgraded the scouting package accordingly». 

I've only answered old op's question. I haven't said anything about board giving you more headroom with scouting (which is true of course).

On 23/11/2017 at 10:31, BamBamBam said:

Scouting Knowledge:

• Increases amount of players in Player Search
  • Increases amount of staff in Staff Search
  • Scouts will complete their assignments faster/return more results in countries they have good knowledge of

Scouting Packages:

• Increases amount of players in Player Search AND reveals their roles (no need to request Scout Report for such basic info)
  • Increases knowledge of players, reducing scouting time

That's how I understand it, at least. @Seb Wassell would appreciate a correction, if I got any of that wrong or missed something out.

On 23/11/2017 at 10:31, BamBamBam said:

You are charged for scouting packages on monthly basis. Technically, yes, you could buy them for a month, shortlist the players and then stop using them. You will save money, but knowledge of those players will also be gone, so scouting them will take longer than with packages.

Optimally, you want both, good scouting packages and good scouting knowledge all over the world. That way you maximize the amount of players known to you and minimize the scouting time.

On 27/06/2020 at 18:37, Zemahh said:

You are charged for scouting packages on monthly basis. Technically, yes, you could buy them for a month, shortlist the players and then stop using them. You will save money, but knowledge of those players will also be gone, so scouting them will take longer than with packages.

Optimally, you want both, good scouting packages and good scouting knowledge all over the world. That way you maximize the amount of players known to you and minimize the scouting time.

This is so true. In my current club I couldn't afford packages at first and when I tried for example to scout someone from Brazil or Argentina after 1 week of scouting I would reach 11% of full knowledge. then scout for another week to get 22%. It was that slow. And now i can get to 70-80% in the first week. It isn't solely because of packages because I also have more scouts now and my scouting knowledge is little better now.

Overall it's better to think of them working in synergy rather than scouting knowledge v scouting packages. But when you have limited scouting budget it is useful to have specific months where you increase scouting packages. I used that strategy a lot.