The Official Chelsea Premiership Champions Thread 2005/06

JoeyM

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Chelsea need an out and out striker </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont think they do. I argued for years with a Chelsea fan friend of mine about this. Yes you need a striker who will get you a fair amount of goals, but it is far more vital that you have a midfield that chip in with 5-10 goals each over the season.

Look at the championship winning teams of the last decade, they've all had goals from midfield.

I dont think Chelsea really need this sort of player at all.

Personally i feel Drogba needs to be given a second season as physically and with his heading ability he is perfect. Adriano or even Baptista would also be suitable as it allows for knock-downs that can bring in Frank, Duff and Robben when we break quickly from deep.

I would really like to see us get Gerrard (unlikely) or Essien who along with Frank and Maka can really control the midfield allowing the wingers freedom.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

My posts about Kezman have been sensible all along, and are about to be proved correct icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing about what you said about Kezman is about to be proved correct.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

My posts about Kezman have been sensible all along, and are about to be proved correct icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing about what you said about Kezman is about to be proved correct. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said that Mourinho didnt fancy him and that he'd be off come the summer.

seems like the kezman switch to ath. madrid is done and dusted, which leaves the question have chelsea got a new striker set to sign or has crespo agreed to stay, because if not we could end up with only two strikers going into the new season the way things are going.

If crespo stays that is all well and good, but something that chelsea fans havent taken into account is what if chelsea have already agreed to sign a striker in principle and are bideing there time to release the info so that it has maximum publicity? considering that we have been knocked back publicly a good 5 times so far, if we were to announce on friday that we say have signed gilardino (once jose had a word to persuade him to join us) for 25M that would get a lot of publicity in the press which is the kind of thing kenyon wants for the club, good publicity! (would make a change)

long shot i know but im starting to worry that we may not get the 25 a season goalscorer

So he put in an official transfer request? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be pedantic. Did Crespo? Veron? Babayaro? etc etc

And strongcentreback - i'm sure we'll sign a striker.

I'm not too worried about that, we have at least 3/4 weeks till our friendlies begin and another month after that before the season starts.

There would be no way we'll start with DD and EG as our only 2 striker, especially since it is also apparent that EG can't play in that central striker role.

Just be patient.

I don't know, did they? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

And strongcentreback - i'm sure we'll sign a striker.

I'm not too worried about that, we have at least 3/4 weeks till our friendlies begin and another month after that before the season starts.

There would be no way we'll start with DD and EG as our only 2 striker, especially since it is also apparent that EG can't play in that central striker role.

Just be patient. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

im sure we will sign a striker as well, but will they be of the calibre we need or will they be a rushed signing to give us cover.

Heres something to mull over, benni mccarthy got linked earlier on in the summer than it went quiet, if jose is going to use drogba as the main striker for next season, he could be the player to sign as back up we would have no problems signing him as he wants a move, porto want to sell and he knows jose, never know with a bit of luck he could do the business for us and turn out to be a blessing in diguise, thoughts anyone

In conclusion, he didn't make an official transfer request - which DOESN'T mean that he doesn't want to leave - hence why I pointed out that Crespo, Veron and Baba hadn't made transfer requests either, despite them all wanting to leave.

Geddit?

My money is on Owen signing.

We wouldnt let the Kez go woithout knowing that we have a striker on the way and there's no way Johsay would panic buy.

Owen's world renowned, proven at every level, (Note: Premiership) and readily available. According to Real Madrid's Lampard bid, he was offered as part of the deal, Owen, Solari, and £20m.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chelseablue P.I.:

My money is on Owen signing.

We wouldnt let the Kez go woithout knowing that we have a striker on the way and there's no way Johsay would panic buy.

Owen's world renowned, proven at every level, (Note: Premiership) and readily available. According to Real Madrid's Lampard bid, he was offered as part of the deal, Owen, Solari, and £20m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

owen does sound like a pretty safe bet so far and real madrid are definately selling him this summer, so the question is how bigger a cheque do you think roman will have to write to get him? im going for 10M slight profit for madrid and a decent price for chelsea everyone is happy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by strong centreback:

Heres something to mull over, benni mccarthy got linked earlier on in the summer than it went quiet, if jose is going to use drogba as the main striker for next season, he could be the player to sign as back up we would have no problems signing him as he wants a move, porto want to sell and he knows jose, never know with a bit of luck he could do the business for us and turn out to be a blessing in diguise, thoughts anyone </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SS had McCarthy linked to a Blackburn move a couple days ago.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">josé like john hartson - PLEASE PLEASE SIGN HIM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

please please jose dont sign him, no offence but he is aweful and is nothing near the quality chelsea need, anyway how do you know mourinho likes him as a player?

• Administrators

Was reading on another Chelsea forum last night that a lad has a contact inside the club, fairly high profile (he said you'd know the name) who says we've had two or three deals done for a while but couldn't be announced until July time.

Probably internet bawlocks, but still, it fits a bit with what we're doing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by strong centreback:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">josé like john hartson - PLEASE PLEASE SIGN HIM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

please please jose dont sign him, no offence but he is aweful and is nothing near the quality chelsea need, anyway how do you know mourinho likes him as a player? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i know he's awful. that's why i want you to buy him!

he's said a few times that hartson is a player he likes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Was reading on another Chelsea forum last night that a lad has a contact inside the club, fairly high profile (he said you'd know the name) who says we've had two or three deals done for a while but couldn't be announced until July time.

Probably internet bawlocks, but still, it fits a bit with what we're doing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please be SWP, Essien or Gerrard and Gila or Torres.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Probably internet bawlocks, but still, it fits a bit with what we're doing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there any names announced?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by beffrey:

I wonder where Carlton Cole fits into this jigsaw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well according to todays gossip column

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Carlton Cole is angling for a £2m move from Chelsea to Portsmouth. (Sun) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you remember which forum you were looking at as i wouldn't mind seeing it. Was it CFC-Net?

Daily Mail:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Chelsea open the door for Owen bid

By SIMON CASS, Daily Mail

09:16am 29th June 2005

Chelsea have made an informal approach for Real Madrid striker Michael Owen.

Representatives of the Premiership champions contacted Real yesterday to enquire about a price for the the England striker.

While no bid was lodged, Chelsea were told that their £14million valuation Owen was £3m below the price Real would demand.

Sportsmail revealed yesterday that Owen had spent the previous day viewing a series of Surrey properties close to Chelsea's new training base at Cobham.

The fact that Chelsea have now spoken to Madrid will only add to the speculation that Owen is set for a return to the Premiership after just one season in Spain.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has suffered a series of high-profile rejections in his search for a proven goalscorer.

Atletico Madrid Enrique Cerezo president told them yesterday that they had no chance of signing Fernando Torres. Torres was reportedly the subject of an approach by Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon during a meeting with Atletico representatives last week to discuss Mateja Kezman's £5m move to Spain.

While Kezman arrived in Madrid yesterday to discuss the details of his transfer, Cerezo said: "Roman Abramovich can forget about Torres."

With players such as Inter Milan's Adriano and AC Milan's Andriy Shevchenko all out of reach, it appears that the combination of Owen's Premiership goal scoring feats for Liverpool, his availability and relatively modest price tag have convinced Mourinho to turn to a player who originally did not rank on his list of top targets.

Despite Owen's 13 goals in 35 league games for Real, the Spanish media believe the 25-year-old striker is expendable as club president Florentino Perez launches a summer rebuilding programme following two barren campaigns.

The arrival of Brazilian Robinho will increase the pressure for places in attack at the Bernabeu and Real might welcome the chance to double the £8m they paid Liverpool last season for Owen.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strange that Owen would be house-hunting before we'd even been in contact with real....

hmmm....

Strange that Owen would be house-hunting before we'd even been in contact with real....

hmmm.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_mad.gif 3 point deduction icon_wink.gif

Looks like my uncle was correct, \o/.

Done and dusted - and we've actually made a profit - how strange.

I was sure Kenyon's business plan was to buy big, and either sell small or give players away on loan!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Kezman completes Madrid move

by Tom Adams - created on 29 Jun 2005

Atletico Madrid have completed the signing of Chelsea striker Mateja Kezman in a £5.3 million deal.

The Serbia & Montenegro international failed to make an impact at Stamford Bridge despite his sensational scoring record for PSV Eindhoven, and found himself out of favour under Blues boss Jose Mourinho.

After travelling to Vicente Calderon for talks on Tuesday the 26-year-old has tied up all remaining loose ends with the London outfit and will look to rejuvenate his career in La Liga after signing a three-year deal.

Kezman arrived in England in a £5million switch just last summer, and was full of confidence after claiming a remarkable 105 goals in 112 league starts for the Dutch giants.

However, his time in The Premiership quickly soured as he found himself behind both Didier Drogba and Eidur Gudjohnsen in Mourinho's plans.

Even a goal in the Carling Cup final victory over Liverpool could not kick-start his career with the Blues, and Mourinho has now decided to allow the striker to move on as he frees up space for new recruits.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We signed him for the exact same fee of £5.3m actually, iirc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you seriously sold him for £5m

That'll make me feel better if you have, surely they could have got him cheaper though?

Archived